post your three favorite rpg games ever played

yiazmat50112254

Shadow Hearts 1

Highly underrated compared to it's sequel (Which I guess is because not that many actually have played the first one) But it was my first dark RPG, and I loved every second of it. Yuri was a great protagonist and the player really connected with him, loved the whole Harmonixer thing going on, and that it was made to be on Earth and not some fantasy world, since this was also my first time trying that in an RPG!

Star Ocean: Second Story

The chance to play two different story paths? Sign me up! Thought it was amazing at the time (Still do) And had never seen anything like it, it was my first introduction to Motoi Sakuraba and damn that composer got some keyboard skills  :D Really thought the whole space/underdeveloped planet thing was amazing.

Vandal Hearts 2

TRPG where you move at the same time as your opponent? I really dug that, and it gave a whole new feel to the genre, it was my first game where politics had a huge impact on the story, and loved seeing how every nation in the game was secretly trying to seize power. PS: Hiroshi Tamawari is a composer GOD!

1. Dragon Warrior

2. Final Fantasy VII

3. Lost Odyssey

Dragon Warrior came out in 1989 and was my 1st RPG and because of it I snubbed Final Fantasy when it came out in 1990 as I was already in love with this game.  I still play this game on my PC (emulated) every couple years along with Legend of Zelda, my 2 favorite NES games. (FYI - these are US release dates for those wondering)

I didn't play a Final Fantasy game until VII, but when I did, I loved it.  Second favorite RPG of all time, and easily one of my favorite overall games of all time.  Ironically, I would consider FF VII my favorite game of all time, but my 2nd favorite RPG, lol.  Don't ask how that works, cause I don't know. 

Since FF VII, RPGs have been lacking to me.  I've enjoyed numerous ones, and Mass Effect 1 and 2 would be in my top 10, if not breaking the top 5, but Lost Odyssey on 360 was easily the 3rd place choice for me.  Also, it was designed by Hironobu Sakaguchi (who wrote, designed, and produced FF VII) so I'm not surprised I enjoyed it, lol.  I really wish Lost Odyssey had been ported to PS3 so I could have played it again with trophies.  If you like RPGs, this is one of the best games on 360, and I recommend picking up a copy and playing it.  It came out almost 10 years ago, so you can easily get a cheap used copy.

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

KotOR is the sole reason why I started playing RPGs. Before that, I usually played FPS games. A friend of mine let my borrow his copy and forced me to play it. Never knew much about Star Wars before then so I was a bit hesitant about it. After playing it, I became a huge Star Wars fan as well as broaden my game pool to another genre. 

2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

After playing KotOR, I needed more RPGs in my life. So I decided to get Morrowind because the game case looked cool. That was my only criteria for the game. I never heard of the Elder Scrolls before but it was the third one so it must have been good, right? Yes, I was a young and naive kid but my decision was worth it. My first experience in an open world sandbox and I couldn't get enough of it.

3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

I put this game here because I enjoyed every minute of this game from the main story to side quests, even gwent. It's a shame to know that this is the last game of Geralt of Rivia we will ever see but what a way to go.

Edited by BlueDragonRR

Mass Effect 2

I've played this game through at least a dozen times on two different consoles, can't wait to play it again when it comes to PS4

Final Fantasy 6

I rented this game so many times when it was Final Fantasy 3 for my SNES that the store offered to let my parents buy it

Persona 4 Golden

I went out and bought a Vita just for this game, it was glorious

Pokemon SoulSilver -  I have over 40 level 100 and almost all the legendaries except Mew. This series taught me how to grind levels. The reason why I choose Soul Silver over all the other pokemon games is because the Pokemon can be behind you, Pokeathlon basically the Olympic Games, and the motherfucking pokewalker.

Persona 4 Golden - I love how much power they give to the player, also the characters are so memorable. I also love that the personas are based on  Religion, Philosophy, Myths and Folklore. I WANT PERSONA 5 ALREADY!!!

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 1 - I love the characters of this series, Compa is adorable, Neptune gives no fucks, Noire reminds me of someone I was in a relationship with. Though the character I resemble the most is 5pb because with people I know, I am an outgoing person but with everyone else I am socially awkward.

I know just the three rpgs I would choose.

1. Persona 4 Golden: I really love each of the characters since they all play a part throughout the game, and I can totally relate to all of them. And also, I just love murder mysteries and Nanako is just so adorable. 

2. Final Fantasy IX: Definitely my most favorite in the whole series and the first one I've ever beaten. I love all of the characters, has a really good soundtrack, and the storyline was amazing. It's too bad that VII overshadowed such an amazing. I'll be completely honest, I don't see what's the big deal about Final Fantasy VII anyway. 

3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars: This is the very game that got me into the genre, and ever since then I fell in love with RPG games as a whole. As for the game, I don't know where to start. Not only that it's a Mario game, but it's a Mario game that has an actual storyline that put you on an actual quest of a lifetime other than finding Princess Peach. As for the soundtrack, the music is so addictive and catchy that you'll still remember it for years to come. Each of the characters plays a part throughout the game which makes the gameplay even more fun. In conclusion, this game was the very first RPG I've ever played in my life as well as the very first one that I've beaten. 

Hmmm, I don't know if some of these will properly class as RPG's but they are called them so let's go

1. Final Fantasy XIII - A hugely unpopular opinion but I felt FF-XIII did everything right, great combat, likeable characters, beautiful world, a well-thought out and written story. Loved the crystarium, loved the open-world at the end, it's also one of the few rare games to have made me shed tears. I adore it, and I'll get flamed for it :')

2. Mass Effect 3 - Again, probably unpopular, but having spent years playing the first two this game meant a lot to me, at heart. The combat and RPG systems were blended perfectly, the world was again beautiful and it had some great characters and quest lines. It's just a shame about the massively shitty ending

3. Lost Odyssey - Played when I had a 360 and it was a great, albeit hugely difficult experience at parts. Also the stories you got that you read about the main characters' past where some of the best-written, most depressing things I've seen in an RPG to date

• 4 weeks later...

Final Fantasy XIII - It was my first FF game and I loved every second. The game is beautiful, I liked the setting, the music, the combat and some characters xD one thing I didn't like was that each character pretty much had the same magic/abilities straight away. In FFX each character would have a set path until you levelled them up which takes an extremely long time, there was also more magic but XIII will still be my favourite RPG

Ni No Kuni - An amazing game in general but the battle system could be improved

Persona 4 - For me it's one of those games which you can play for hours and it will always make you happy. I loved that you got to experience each day and it makes you feel like you're involved in it which most games don't do anymore ( for me at least)

1. Mass Effect

This game holds a special place in my heart, it was the game that made me a gamer.

2. Persona 4: Golden

Prior to P4G I had never really gotten into JRPGs, played a couple Final Fantasy games here and there but I couldn't get into them. Then P4G came along and completely changed my mind about JRPGs, and now pretty much any new JRPG I hear about I get excited.

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

This is the game that captured exactly what I wanted out of an RPG. This is probably higher on my list because I'm a Witcher fanboy, when I found out The Witcher 3 was going to be open world I squealed with excitement. To me this game did everything right, and it's one of those game experiences I'll never forget.

• Like 1

1st - Fallout New Vegas

It is by far my favorite RPG. The faction and reputation system the game has is better than anything else ive seen in RPG. It also had true multiple endings.. Endings undeniably different than each other which every rpg needs. The dialogue in the game was diverse and extremely well thought out with tons and tons of back story (that is overlooked by "casual" gamers). Its weapons catelogue was superior to the other Fallout games in every way, more unique weapons, weapon mods, ammo variety, and iron sights. One and the only thing the game suffered from was not enough "explorable interiors". In that aspect, Fallout 3 did much better.

2nd - Dragon Age Origins

From the very beginning you get to set up your characters own origin which plays a major role in how NPCs talk to you the rest of the game. One of the few games out there were I really enjoyed watching as my character progressed from a no body to a true hero.

3rd - Demon Souls

Unlike the other games, this is a bit more action-adventure but still a RPG none the less. Its top notch combat and absolutely amazing scenery/locations is what drives this game to the near top of my list. The story although hidden in item descriptions and tongue riddled NPCs will always be memorizing.

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 1

1. Final Fantasy VII

This is the reason i learned to read. This game has strong sentimental significance to me. I do believe the characters and story are phenominal. The balance of seriousness, and comedy is something that i think many overlook or don't value enough about this game. The materia system and its depth is unparalleled also.

2. Xenogears

I think this is a story of phenomenal feats. A JRPG fan must play. I feel with this game the less i say the better experience you might have.

3. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

This is the first SMT game i had played. I picked this as to making me learn, and grow to be better in turn based RPG's. The setting and demon fusions were addicting along with it. This game also lead me to many other great games in the SMT series and Persona series.

This was a really hard list to figure out. #3 took a while for me to decide which deserved to be there the most.

1) Chrono Trigger

2) Xenoblade Chronicles

3) Secret of Mana

That is all. :D  I wish I could have more slots, because there are couple more games I like to add; such as Lufia 1 & 2, Seiken Densetsu 3, Dragon Age 1 and 3, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Super Mario RPG.

Edited by skinner49

• 2 weeks later...