Trophy rarity

obviously it's a matter of personal opinion and preference. but it doesn't hurt anyone if the PSN rarity would be included as additional, optional data (on mouse-over/hover for example, like in the example).

the data is there and obviously some people are interested, so why not show it? ;)

Fair enough, but then not everyone who pursues trophies uses this site. Some use this one, some use Exophase, some use Trophy Leaders, some use others... so you never get a true reflection, just a different figure depending on the site you're looking at. The PSN stat is the only truly global figure - both of those other sites recognise that and offer it alongside their own membership values.

Personally, I feel the PSN rarity is the one to go by, since it's a true reflection based on all PlayStation users. Keeping it within your own exclusive club doesn't give you a true reflection. A Bugatti Veyron is a rare car, but if you limit your criteria to the Bugatti Veyron Owners Club, everyone's got one and it's nothing special.

Still, whatever your view, all I'm saying is that it would be nice to have the stat there for those who'd like to see it. If it's there in a pop-up, it's good for those who want it, and makes absolutely no difference to everyone else. And it's one less reason for people to use other sites.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the Bugatti Vevron analogy isn't a suitable one in regards to trophy hunting. As a few have mentioned, the trophy hunting community is a very tiny niche in the Playstation's userbase; the stats here are truly reflective of how rare or difficult a trophy is as the stats are based around people who actively try to obtain trophies. 

Although, I really wouldn't be against the implementation of a PSN stat as a hover-over option for those who want it. I just don't really see the point as 95%+ of trophies would end up being between 0.01% and 2% rarity. 

Edited by Gotakibono
  • Like 2

Fair enough, but then not everyone who pursues trophies uses this site. Some use this one, some use Exophase, some use Trophy Leaders, some use others... so you never get a true reflection, just a different figure depending on the site you're looking at. The PSN stat is the only truly global figure - both of those other sites recognise that and offer it alongside their own membership values.

Personally, I feel the PSN rarity is the one to go by, since it's a true reflection based on all PlayStation users. Keeping it within your own exclusive club doesn't give you a true reflection. A Bugatti Veyron is a rare car, but if you limit your criteria to the Bugatti Veyron Owners Club, everyone's got one and it's nothing special.

Still, whatever your view, all I'm saying is that it would be nice to have the stat there for those who'd like to see it. If it's there in a pop-up, it's good for those who want it, and makes absolutely no difference to everyone else. And it's one less reason for people to use other sites.

You make a good point there. I don't use the psn rarity anymore like I said but it would be a useful thing to have. After all it's more information, which can only be good ^_^

Pointless. Every trophy is 0.01% on the PSN.

Even Aabs Animals? Only the rarer ones are all <1%

• Like 1

Agreed. I too only wish to compare with other trophy hunters, but I don't see a reason not to have the feature as well.

I wanted to trust PSN total user database for trophies rarity but I can't, for one simple reason: Fake/Casual accounts.

For example, someone goes to his/her friend's house, creates a local PS3/PS4 account just to not screw up their friend's save data/progress, then he/she wants to play MP, the game says it needs a PSN account, then creates one, play a little and then for X reason syncronizes the trophies. Pum. Another user who plays that game.

There's other people who creates fake accounts for other regions to download games that don't appear in their region's store. Of course if they play with this account and syncronizes the trophies, they screw up the statistics.

A solution could be filter the users with PSN level < 5 for example, maybe create some sort of ranking in which you need to reach certain minimum level to qualify, maybe there the trophies rarity may change.

In my opinion having these rarities won't give PSNP any more value. I'd rather have sly focus on other projects of his.

Sly's API gathers all this info anyway. Implementing something like this would probably take a man of his talents about 10 minutes, if that.

I actually remember bringing something like this up, simply showing it on mouseover or something like that. I don't see why not, seems pretty useful in my opinion

Also, not every trophy is 0.1%, most are actually a regular percentage - it's only really, really rare trophies, mostly DLC trophies, and some very rare platinums that are 0.1%, that's where the PSN percentages become a little useless. Even Metal Gear Solid V surprisingly has like a 0.5% platinum rate on PSN.

Sly's API gathers all this info anyway. Implementing something like this would probably take a man of his talents about 10 minutes, if that.

Actually I think I remember him mentioning once that it would require a developer console or something weird like that to get that information.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

In my experience, saying that another website does it is not the way to get changes implemented.

As I said at the top, it's feedback. I saw it on other sites, and thought it would be nice to have here. That's what this entire forum section is for, so I'm sure Sly will take it in the constructive manner in which it was intended. He doesn't have to act on it.

• 6 months later...

I have been looking for this suggested feature ever since I joined. Now I know why I couldn't find my actual PSN rarity and just this one. If trophy hunters want to compare their trophy rarity to only other trophy hunters, then I get that. The thing is though, not everyone here is a trophy hunter (like me) and an added tab or whatever that includes the PSN rarity as well would be really helpful.

There's not much point for me to pay for a premium account if a basic feature like showing this is missing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this as well. Trophies on here seem less rare than on PSN. Does this website calculate the rarity based on the amount of people that signed up here or does it, for example, filter out accounts that don't meet certain requirements?

Can anyone confirm how this works exactly? Would love to know.

Edited by Leatherhide

I've been wondering about this as well. Trophies on here seem less rare than on PSN. Does this website calculate the rarity based on the amount of people that signed up here or does it, for example, filter out accounts that don't meet certain requirements?

It's based on PSN IDs that have been processed by this site.

You don't need any account, just pick up an ID (any existing PSN ID), put it in the box on the home page and it will be processed.

After a short period it will be taken into account for all statistics.

It's a matter of population. The site calculates based on the number of PSN accounts from the site that have that game on their profile. Sony calculates based on the number of total PSN accounts in existence with that game on their profile. 

For example, let's say a given trophy has been earned by 1,000 people. On this site, let's say 10,000 people own that game. The rarity would be 10.0%. Now, let's say that 100,000 people in the world own that game according to Sony. The same trophy would be at a rarity of 1.0%. For simplicity's sake, this example doesn't factor in that there are plenty of people who have earned a given trophy who have not had their profiles synced to this site. Both numbers are accurate, but each represents something different. 

DLC trophy rarity (which is frequently a divisive issue on this forum) is calculated a little differently. Since unearned DLC trophies are automatically added to a player's profile, there is no way for Sly to definitively know which users actually own the DLC or not. As such, an "owner" is calculated here as someone who has earned at least one trophy in said DLC. (Even free DLCs, which everyone has access to, are treated this way.) So, a DLC trophy's rarity is still earners divided by owners, but the number of owners is not necessarily accurate. This is why you will almost always see at least one trophy in a DLC set at or near 100% rarity. 

I won't regurgitate the arguments for or against doing it this way, you can search for that can of worms yourself  :P

Edited by simula67
  • Like 1