Uncharted 4 Multiplayer to Include Microtransactions, MP will be 900p/60fps

Azaan60

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-4-multiplayer-to-include-microtransactio/1100-6431779/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=hub_platform 

The multiplayer portion of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will incorporate microtransactions from the outset, according to the game's lead multiplayer designer Robert Cogburn.  

Players will be able to purchase various weapons, tools, and upgrades, but the studio has made it clear that every item can also be earned through in-game currency.

Following a private demonstration of Uncharted 4 at Paris Games Week to a gathering of journalists, Cogburn opened the floor to questions. He was asked by GameSpot if--since Uncharted 4's multiplayer includes an in-game currency model--the game would eventually adopt microtransactions.

"Microtransactions will be available at launch, but we'll have no gameplay items that will be gated through microtransactions," he replied.

Uncharted 4's multiplayer mode makes a deliberate move away from the action-movie realism of the main campaign, with players allowed to use mystical totems to unlock supernatural abilities, as well as summon sidekicks (medics, snipers, etcetera). At the outset of each match, players can select various weapons at different in-game currency prices, a la Counter-Strike.

Cogburn added that striking the right balance, between grinding for items and incentivising real-money acquisitions, will be determined after Naughty Dog looks at the data from the Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta.

Later, Cogburn explained that the multiplayer mode will render at 60 frames-per-second, although at 900p, due to the studio's belief that the smoothest possible experience is crucial in multiplayer. By contrast, Uncharted 4's campaign mode will display at 1080p30.

Cogburn also said Uncharted 4 will "most likely be Naughty Dog's last game in the series," though when asked about this later he suggested this wasn't absolutely confirmed.

"We as a studio feel that this will probably be the last Uncharted game we do. Who knows?"

Creative director Neil Druckmann previously said it is bringing closure to protagonist Nathan Drake's journey, and the game will be the "end of an era" for the studio.

Elsewhere in the interview, Cogburn was also asked about co-op, to which he replied "we'll be talking about co-op later."

The Uncharted 4 release date has been confirmed as March 18, 2016. 

• Like 1

I've got mix feelings about this, the Uncharted multiplayers are enjoyable despite all the crap people say about 3. The Microtransactions are annoying but they've been in all their games and that was practically announced when they announced the different editions, some that give you some Microtransactions.

The multiplayer as a whole looks really fast pace but that's just the point of view of the trailer, and these supernatural abilities as well as the summoning sidekicks seems like the new kickbacks which could be just meh.

I've got no problem with the graphics though but I wonder if Flynn and Eddy will be free at launch or would be Microtransactions along with other old characters of the series. They are also keeping quiet of the settings in this game because all they've shown us so far are forests and one village. Hope there's more to it and it also includes old favourites.

You haven't even played it .....................

The trailer and gameplays says all, only people who never played a uncharted mp will think that this will be fun.

Comparing Tlou & uncharted mp was the biggest mistake ND could do. 

by the way, compare the predecessor mp's with this ... -.-

Big UC3 MP fan here (played UC2 some).. microtransactions are in UC3 now, they didn't come until later. My thoughts? It kinda killed the enjoyment for me and made players able to buy easy guns if they made alt accounts for the MP among some other things.

I retired from UC3 tbh, I have over 100 thousand kills and like a 2.86 K/D or some shit. Not trying to brag cause I know people who have a 5.00 or even higher.. some are hackers now actually.

Bottom line, if I enjoy the game, I really don't mind. Especially if the hats look cool or whatever they got on sale. Hopefully I can get the beta soon or at least watch people play it.

• Like 1

"Players will be able to purchase various weapons, tools, and upgrades, but the studio has made it clear that every item can also be earned through in-game currency."

Don't mind it at all seeing as these things can be bought with in game currency, obviously it will take a while to afford things, but it's no big deal. I'm certainly not going to cry over it or support them any less.

Single player is where it's at when it comes to Uncharted anyway.

• Like 1

"Players will be able to purchase various weapons, tools, and upgrades, but the studio has made it clear that every item can also be earned through in-game currency."

Don't mind it at all seeing as these things can be bought with in game currency, obviously it will take a while to afford things, but it's no big deal. I'm certainly not going to cry over it or support them any less.

Single player is where it's at when it comes to Uncharted anyway.

I must say that while I respect your opinion, I STRONGLY disagree with this premise.  Diablo 3's online marketplace had the same idea, but getting things to sell was so difficult and luck based, that unless you wanted to put in hundreds of hours, you had to buy stuff from the marketplace to keep progressing.

No matter what they say, if there are microtransactions then the loot table will always favour those who spend money.  If they didn't set it up that way, they would never make any money from them.  So ALL microtrasactions for actual items in game are bad.  Microtransactions for visual gimmicks are shady, but that is a different conversation.  If developers are complaining that they don't make as much money anymore, hike the price of games by 10 dollars, or switch to a F2P model, but don't make me pay what you call full price for the game, and then try to nickle and dime me while I play it.  Pretty soon we are going to start to see adds in these games too ...

• Like 3

I must say that while I respect your opinion, I STRONGLY disagree with this premise.  Diablo 3's online marketplace had the same idea, but getting things to sell was so difficult and luck based, that unless you wanted to put in hundreds of hours, you had to buy stuff from the marketplace to keep progressing.

No matter what they say, if there are microtransactions then the loot table will always favour those who spend money.  If they didn't set it up that way, they would never make any money from them.  So ALL microtrasactions for actual items in game are bad.  Microtransactions for visual gimmicks are shady, but that is a different conversation.  If developers are complaining that they don't make as much money anymore, hike the price of games by 10 dollars, or switch to a F2P model, but don't make me pay what you call full price for the game, and then try to nickle and dime me while I play it.  Pretty soon we are going to start to see adds in these games too ...

I agree mostly with this aside from a couple things like the visuals.. I liked it back when we could unlock stuff and everything ya know?

Shame I am outta likes for your post. :P

• Like 1

this is the single biggest problem with microtransactions. no matter how many times developers and consumers alike say they're optional, they'll always someway, somehow affect in game progression. no consumer should be greeted with a microtransaction store in a game they dished out $60 for. as Jim Sterling put it, it's fee to pay. and that's really annoying. i really really really hope Uncharted 4 isn't full of MP trophies. 

So wait... The MP is 900p/60fps while the SP is 1080p but only runs at 30fps?

That makes zero sense to me. Both modes should run at the same framerate imo. Otherwise, they'll just feel too strange from each other.

OT: I hate how microtransactions, a F2P gaming model, is making its way into the industry where we're already demanded to pay $60 for it. They keep saying they're "optional" but one way or another it always makes MP feel unbalanced.

So wait... The MP is 900p/60fps while the SP is 1080p but only runs at 30fps?

That makes zero sense to me. Both modes should run at the same framerate imo. Otherwise, they'll just feel too strange from each other.

OT: I hate how microtransactions, a F2P gaming model, is making its way into the industry where we're already demanded to pay $60 for it. They keep saying they're "optional" but one way or another it always makes MP feel unbalanced.

I agree. I'd gladly take a 900p single player that runs in 60fps over 1080p and 30fps, especially after playing the Uncharted collection in 60fps. 

Parker

That framerate decision is whack, why would they do that? It wont even feel like the same game.

Im not too stoked about the whole nonsensical approach to the MP this time around. LoU MP was phenomenal because it was grounded and tactical. Throwing in supernatural abilities and these AI sidekicks really killed some of my hype, but Im still willing to try the beta. As for microtransactions? I dont really care, and thats mostly because I dont expect to play the MP long enough for it to make a difference for me. If the casual gamer that can only play x amount of hours a week, wants to skip some of the grinding and pay for a weapon then I dont really care...you're only souring your own sense of progression and these are the same people that will be moving on to the next game that comes out with MP. 

• Like 1

I can't help but sigh when I see that full priced games have microtransactions in them. It's just not acceptable. We aren't mobile gamers, so we don't need everything handed to us just by waving some cash around. The devs always say these things are obtainable in game, but that's such a lame excuse. At the end of the day, if you put microtransactions in your game, you want people to buy them. Your game is designed around that system. Even if you played the game without buying them, you will always have a constant reminder that you can spend some money to unlock things faster. It just cheapens the whole experience for me. 

I will of course still be picking this up. But you can bet your arse I'll be staying clear of that multiplayer. Well... Maybe just enough to get the trophies.  :P

• Like 2

I can't help but sigh when I see that full priced games have microtransactions in them. It's just not acceptable. We aren't mobile gamers, so we don't need everything handed to us just by waving some cash around. The devs always say these things are obtainable in game, but that's such a lame excuse. At the end of the day, if you put microtransactions in your game, you want people to buy them. Your game is designed around that system. Even if you played the game without buying them, you will always have a constant reminder that you can spend some money to unlock things faster. It just cheapens the whole experience for me. 

I will of course still be picking this up. But you can bet your arse I'll be staying clear of that multiplayer. Well... Maybe just enough to get the trophies.  :P

This whole post, like 1000 times. 

You took the words right out of my mouth, and somehow managed to keep all the profanity I'd have used out of the post. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't feel at all surprised that this has micro transactions.  Just look at Uncharted 3 and the amount of (mostly silly) taunts that you could either unlock through progression or micro transactions.

Just my opinion here, but the new additions of sidekicks and supernatural powers just seems really gimmicky.