How hardcore of a trophy hunter are you?

Zenpai

141 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get games for the trophies alone?

• Yes, frequently. Everything for a higher completion rate/PSN level!
    • Occasionally, if it's an easy list.
    • Not really, unless it's a game that's also piqued my interest
    • Never, games first, trophies second.
    • I'm not even a trophy hunter in the first place
  2. 2. How often do you push for the platinum?

• Always, if it's in my trophy list, and I'm able to, I'm getting the platinum
    • Most of the time, unless the game's way too hard for me or I just don't like it
    • I only go for the platinum if I really like the game
    • I don't really care about trophies, I play games until I'm through with them
  3. 3. How often do you get DLC to attain 100% completion?

• Always, the game's not complete without the 100% to me
    • Most of the time, unless I don't like the game or that particular DLC that much
    • Only if that particular DLC interests me
    • I never get them/I'm against DLC in principle

(Apologies if someone somewhere made a topic about this, couldn't find one that was quite the same as this one)

This time, it's three questions about your trophy hunting practices:

1 - Do you get games for the trophies alone?

Never. Trophies are an extension of my game, never my goal.

2 - How often do you push for the platinum?

Most of the time, unless I just don't like the game, in which case, I just sell it and hide its trophy list. Though obviously I also won't platinum a game if it's way too hard for me. I don't mind a little difficulty, but I'm not going through anything insanely hard just for a trophy. I like my trophy lists complete, but I don't have OCD.

I also don't platinum games if they have online trophies and PS+ is required to access the multiplayer. PS+, for all its advantages, doesn't really appeal with me, and I'm not going to pay for it just to have a complete trophy list. Again, I like my trophy lists complete, but I don't have OCD. So far, I've managed to platinum every game I've liked, even the harder ones, but that will probably change as soon as I get a PS4.

3 - How often do you get DLC to attain 100% completion?

If I like the game, I generally get all DLC, regardless if they have trophies or not. Exceptions are:

• Trophy-less multiplayer mode DLC, since I never play multiplayer modes to begin with (unless they're free, in which case, screw it).
  • Convenience DLC, which only serve to make your playtime faster or easier. I'm generally against these kinds of DLC on principle, since they just mean the developers made the game harder/more annoying on purpose just to sell you the DLC. This right here is one of the worst tendencies in modern gaming.
  • PSN themes and avatars related to the game. Besides adding nothing to the game itself, I generally don't care for embellishing my Playstation UI, so I would never get these, even if they were free.

How about you guys? How often and how far do you go in trophy hunting?

• Like 1

Yet you hide uncompleted games because you like having a 100% profile...

:hmm:

Got it! Lol

Anyway:

1. Occasionally if it's an easy list

2. Always, if it's in my trophy list, and I'm able to, I'm getting the platinum

3. Most of the time, unless I don't like the game or that particular DLC that much

For the first answer I also wanna say that it's limited to cheap games om the store. For example I bought Magus for 1.80€ because I saw it was easy and cheap.

Edited by Winston

1.  Unless a game is a dollar or two I don't buy it for the trophies alone (and I have bought a few at that price point for the trophies).  Also if a friend has the game, I will borrow it from them just for trophies.  There are other factors to consider, but if it's an easy platinum that takes under 10 hours (preferrably less), and I can either borrow it or get it free or for $2 or less, then sure, I'll pick it up.

2. Platinum ALWAYS.  If I wanna play a game for fun that I know I'll never platinum, I either do it on 360 or Steam.  When it comes to PS3/Vita, I always get the plat.

3. And this is where the slight contradiction comes in, lol.  I don't care about 100%.  That's why I got away from gaming on 360.  When I finish the main game, the base game, the original product, I'm done.  If I can get a complete or GOTY edition with all DLC, I will definitely play it.  But 100% is only relevant for me on games where there is no plat.  Once I have the plat, I've completed the game.  DLC is usually pathetic, unrelated to the main game, and ridiculously expensive.  I only buy games once they are cheap, since I have a huge backlog and borrow my friends discs, so half the time the DLC costs more than I paid for the whole game.  So yeah, 100% means nothing to me, the Plat is the only real goal.

• Like 2

Not really. The list can help sway my decision if I'm on the fence though.

Like I'm in labor.

Pretty often. It's usually not urgent unless I really enjoyed the game.

Trophies do influence the games I play to some extent.

I simply won't touch a game with literally impossible trophies. Such as those that can't be obtained due to bugs or disabled servers. I just don't like the idea of never being able to complete something no matter how good I become, so I'd rather spend my time with something I can.

I'm also not as compelled to play games with common platinums. I generally like to have some level of challenge when I play games and I feel that if over 50% of people have actually gone out of their way to get the platinum, the game isn't likely to offer much of it. The games that fall under this category are almost exclusively story-based games though, something that doesn't really interest me.

The same goes for games without platinums. Games without platinums are generally small, digital-only games. I'm a cheap bastard who rents most of my games, so having to actually buy a game which was deemed to not have enough content to deserve a platinum is a rather big ask for me. If I can get them cheap I'll happily play them, but prioritize them below games that actually have platinums.

I'm fine with excluding a few games because of those reasons. The current list of games I'm planning to play already exceeds 200, so I doubt I'll ever be short of options.

Always. I'm even prepared to force myself through hours of monotonous grinding or frustration in order to finish a game once I've started it. But that just makes the 100% all the more satisfying.

So far there's only one game on my profile that I'm confident I won't be able to 100%. But I still don't consider myself to have given up on it. I'll go back to it one day, if/when I feel I've become good enough.

Eventually always. Although I try to wait for DLC to go on sale before I pick it up, so it could take a long time.

From all that it may sound like I don't have much fun trophy hunting or that I find it a chore. But it's actually become the most enjoyable aspect of gaming for me now.

• Like 1

Do you get games for the trophies alone?

- Yes, frequently. Everything for a higher completion rate/PSN level!

How often do you push for the platinum?

- Always, if it's in my trophy list, and I'm able to, I'm getting the platinum

How often do you get DLC to attain 100% completion?

- Always, the game's not complete without the 100% to me

Nope. I only purchase games that look interesting. Occasionally I'll prioritize one game from the backlog over another based on trophies, but this almost always backfires and I stop playing it, so I really try to avoid doing this now. I got WD1 ep 1 free and disliked it. I later rented it since I knew it was easy, got one more trophy and was like "wtf am I doing?" There are way too many games out there to play something I don't like just for trophies.

If a game is still fun I'll push on. Sometimes I'll take a break if I get bored and finish it later. If I truly love the game, but the plat is incredibly tedious, I'll also stop working on it (FFX). I'm very likely to come back and play the game again at a later date, but if I totally burn out doing stupid shit for 100+ hours I'll probably never touch it again. I don't let difficulty stop me from getting anything I really want to earn.

Very rarely. If've purchased a grand total of 3 dlcs (that weren't part of a bundle). And two of them didn't have trophy support. Even if I have the DLC I only work on it as long as it's fun. I have several games that I earned plat, played all the DLC packs, and still don't have 100%.

Yet you hide uncompleted games because you like having a 100% profile...

:hmm:

*Sigh...*

I kinda knew this was coming, but I've answered it so many times before, it's becoming annoying.

Stricken, you're assuming I hide uncompleted games just to have a 100% profile. Which is not the case. I know that everyone going to my profile will be able to see that blue H and how many trophies I've hidden. In that case, hiding trophies just to have a 100% completion becomes rather pointless, since everyone will be able to call you out for it.

In that case, why do I do it? Simple. As stated in my trophy checklist, my brother and I shared my profile for about 5 years and he got a large number of platinums while playing on it - off the top of my head, I can remember at least 7 100% games. Only last August did we remember to create a separate account for himself. When I started coming to the site more often, I wanted my profile to show only my games, so I hid my brother’s from view. Why? To accurately reflect my personal taste in gaming, not my brother's.

That's where the vast majority of my hidden trophies com from. Still, a few of them do belong to games I've played myself, but I just didn't like. I've since sold or given those games away, so basically, I've hidden them because they no longer belong to my collection (and also, as I've stated before, because they don't reflect my personal taste in gaming).

Actually, one of the platinums I've hidden was from a game I used to have, Prince of Persia. That was actually my very first Platinum of all time. However, when I saw that I could no longer get the Epilogue DLC on the Portuguese PSN store and would therefore be forever unable to 100% the game, I gave it away and got the X360 version, since at the time the Epilogue was still available for purchase on the Xbox Marketplace. Seeing as I only want my profile to show the games I currently possess, I hid that one as well. If only I knew all I needed to do was get the DLC from the UK store... oh well.

So basically, I didn't hide all of my games except for the ones I was able to complete... I was just able to complete all the ones I didn't hide. I would gladly delete all of my hidden trophies if only Sony would let me. And as stated on the opening post, my 100% completion will probably disappear forever as soon as I get a PS4, since I refuse to get a PS+ subscription simply to get the online trophies.

Please don't be so quick to judge others.

Edited by jrdemr

[snip]

You really took me the wrong way. It was a tease, a joke.

Maybe I should have used the :P emoji instead, in which case, my bad. I wasn't judging you, I couldn't care less about your profile. 

Sorry you wasted your time writing all that up, but it really wasn't necessary. 

Edit: And P.S. sorry for the misunderstanding in the first place, in case that wasn't clear.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

Trophies are a nice side-objective, the game comes first.

I can push for the platinum if Its doable. If not possible, I try to get a good enough percentage on that game.

No, not really. If the DLC is good then I'll go for it then consider getting the trophies.

Personally, it's fun > trophies.

You really took me the wrong way. It was a tease, a joke.

Maybe I should have used the :P emoji instead, in which case, my bad. I wasn't judging you, I couldn't care less about your profile. 

Sorry you wasted your time writing all that up, but it really wasn't necessary. 

Edit: And P.S. sorry for the misunderstanding in the first place, in case that wasn't clear.

That's okay. Without tone, it becomes a lot harder to successfully convey jest in written text - that and I also have a tendency to take things a little too seriously every now and then.

Not that I ever thought you had ill intent in your post, mind you. From what I know of you (through your posts), you seem like a polite, moderate and interesting person (hence why I added you as a friend a while ago). At worst, I thought you were just honestly inquiring about a profile that has 100% completion but also 559 hidden trophies. It's not a far-fetched assumption at all. It's just that I've had a lot of people asking me the same question (though again, perfectly understandable).

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

Not really, I need to be interested in the game.

If you go for the enjoyment of trophies, trophies should be something fun or at least interesting to get, like find the place where you Kill two enemies at the same time with head-shot. 

But most of the times trophies are just beat the game in every difficulty, kill boss with no damage.

So I cannot go into a game thinking that the trophies of the game will give me something interesting to replay the game. 

Totally depends in the amount of time invested to get the platinum, I can be bored or exhausted half way.

Only if that particular DLC interests me.

1) I'm most interested in playing the best games available, but yes I sometimes will play an easy game for trophies. 

2) I only go if I like the game, no point otherwise. I'd really like to have every Resident Evil platinum, but Racoon City is a wank game so that probably won't happen. 

3) Only if the DLC is something I want to play. Even still, 100% after the plat is irrelevant to me, which is why I will never 100% PS All Stars (i'm not paying £3 for one stupid trophy). 

1 - I only buy games that interest me, whether they have easy trophy lists or not. A game with a super easy trophy list can be on sale for 1 Euro that I still won't buy it, if I don't have the slightest interest in that game.

2 - As a trophy hunter, of course that I try to go for the platinum when I start a game. However, if I don't like the game enough and/or the plat is not that straightforward, I just try to collect some more trophies and then I have no problems in leaving it.

3 - As you can see if you visit my profile, I pretty much only buy DLC for games made by my favourite developer. It's the only DLC that I know that I'll love, that I'll enjoy to the fullest and that I will not regret buying. On the other hand, I just need to be sure that I enjoy everything those games that I love have to offer me, which, obviously, includes the DLC. It's also important to me to, at least, try to achieve 100% on those games. Buying DLC, for me, has little to do with completion, but, instead, it is much more connected to the love that I feel for certain games. :)  

• Like 1

For trophies alone, almost never (I can't say I have not easy game on sale :D) but if I get it from Plus, I may play it.

Everytime it is possible.

Again, everytime it is possible.

I just don't like seeing incomplete fields... I may stall a game I do not want to go for in one go, but I always plan to return to it.

• Like 1