Settlement Improvements / Benevolent Leader

fbdbh

First step is, to build a chair and a bell. After ringing the bell, wait for your settlers. They will walk towards you. Now open the building menu and look at your happiness. Wait a little bit and you will see a green arrow. Now sit in the chair and wait 24 hours in your game. This leeds the settlers to go to their shops or farm some food. You can do this often, as it makes the settlers happy when they are around you.

If you have anything (16 tier 3 clinics, at least 20 settlers and no companion working at your clinics, over 100 defence, enough food and water) , then you have to stay in your village and repeat the first step. Because if you fast trave to other locations in the world, it can somehow lower the %  of your villages happiness. I don´t know if it´s intended this way or just a nasty error. It took me 7 hours to raise my happiness from 80% to 100%. 

So good luck with that.

I got this at The Castle, mainly because some of the inhabitants of Sanctuary made me want to nuke the whole place (Mama Murphy, you worthless bum, I'm looking at you).

21 settlers, 21 food, 40 water, 39 power, 120 defense, 21 beds

14 people on lvl 3 clinics, 4 people on food, 1 supplier walking between The Castle and another settlement, 1 dude pretending to work on his radio tower, 1 old Minutemen lady doing her best impression of Mama Murphy.

Aside from that I maxed out the settlement size by putting random lights and kitty paintings everywhere.

I got to about 97 pretty easily, then it started to stagnate. I slept for 24 hours and just stood in the middle of my shopping clinic center for 10-20 minutes. Happiness went up by 1, I slept for another 24 hours, stood around for another 10-20 minutes and so on until the trophy popped.

Edited by ShadowReplicant

I got this trophy the other day. My bit of advice is do NOT use Sanctuary!

I ended up getting it by using The Castle with 22 people (I have a maxed Charisma)

I also had 8 Tier 3 Clinic's, and 8 other tier 3 shops that were not weapons and armor.

Not to mention the placed looked like an art gallery by the amount of paintings I put up on the walls xD

I was so glad to have gotten this trophy and want to say good luck to those who are still trying to get this trophy. *hugs*

• Like 1

It's glitched it seems.

For me my pipboy workshop stats lie.

I build a place with say 50 water, 30 beds. 30 power, 100 defense and 50 food.

While I'm in settlement those stats are correct and happiness is going up. 

When I leave however.

My 17 person population is now 34, my defense is 0 and my water is 0.

With happiness going down ofc.

Glitchy as an MF.

I was racing for first legit plat, not cheating by starting early. ;)

But yeah I wasted too much time on this only to find out it's glitched for me.

I have this exact same issue, Its one of 2 trophies I have left

I had mine up to 97%, then I got attacked but Synths. Now I'm back down down to 75%. Dammit. Lost a settler too. How do people man so many clinics and have food gatherers when the named npc'c are fricking useless and won't stay anywhere you put them. I did have 20 people but now only 19. I wish someone would figure out the exact requirements for this trophy, save everyone a lot of hair pulling. Lol.

Alright, finally earned this damn trophy. Some observations:

• Your settlement happiness rating will cap at 80 without any shops. You'll probably reach this level by simply building your base as you normally would.
  • So long as you have at least one point of beds, food, and water for each settler, and a minimum defense equaling the combined total of food and water, nothing else matters besides shops that are specifically described to raise happiness. Concentrate your resources on the most expensive tier. I had 14 surgical centers when the trophy popped.
  • Shops are expensive. Unless you don't mind spending all of your money and selling most of your stashed goods, create a separate save file dedicated to this trophy. Also, consider using the bottlecap glitch at vendors.
  • You can leave your settlement during this process, but only for a few minutes at a time. I encountered a wierd glitch where none of my vendors would sell to me after I saved them from a raider attack. They would keep repeating the "Thanks for saving us!" dialogue indefinitely, which made them useless as vendors. In order to raise capital to continue expanding my empire of surgical centers, I was forced to fast travel to other vendors. This is fine so long as you fast travel back to your settlement before the happiness rating nosedives.
  • In my experience, you don't need to do the whole "rest 24 hours" thing. Ring the bell once just to make absolutely sure that every settler is blessed with your presence, then just go stand in a crowded area and let the time pass. Go make a sandwich or something and come back later. If you haven't built enough shops, the happiness rating will eventually cap out and remain neutral. Build another surgical center, assign someone to it, and repeat the process until you reach 100.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. Good luck!

Edited by Gillium-001

I guess I'll have to do this in another playthrough since I've been trying to get this at Sanctuary. Or I guess I could push my luck at another settlement with what I have now. Would I be able to do it at Tenpines Bluff since there's hardly any people there and so it should make it easier? Plus they already have food. I feel like all that should matter is the settlement is happy regardless of how many people.

I've also read that paintings help raise happiness a lot, but I tried it earlier and I don't feel like it helped.

I guess I'll have to do this in another playthrough since I've been trying to get this at Sanctuary. Or I guess I could push my luck at another settlement with what I have now. Would I be able to do it at Tenpines Bluff since there's hardly any people there and so it should make it easier? Plus they already have food. I feel like all that should matter is the settlement is happy regardless of how many people.

I've also read that paintings help raise happiness a lot, but I tried it earlier and I don't feel like it helped.

I don't see why you couldn't do it in Sanctuary. See my comment above and see if it helps out. As for the paintings, in my experience they don't do anything at all.

I don't see why you couldn't do it in Sanctuary. See my comment above and see if it helps out. As for the paintings, in my experience they don't do anything at all.

That's the thing, some people say don't do Sanctuary, and a lot of guides I've looked up are inconsistent. Like some say don't do it in Sanctuary, don't assign supply routes, put up lots of pictures etc. it's all confusing. Especially since you can't just get those resources you spend back unless you saved beforehand. I haven't tried the bell thing though so I think I will attempt that when I play again.

Finally got my trophy, woohoo.

My stats when it popped are as follows,

Settlement - Sanctuary

People 19

Food 19 - 3 named npc'c and codsworth, who would only do 1, lol.

Water 107

Power 54

Defence 202

Beds 37, yes 37, my settlers kept commenting about lack of beds or something like that.

15 Tier 3 shops made up of 1 trader, 1 bar, 1 clothing and 12 clinics, although 1 of the clinics was unmanned as I was waiting for settler number 20.

All my shops were manned with settlers, anyone else would just walk away. If you have any named people you can send away to another settlement then do it, then go to another settlement and sent settlers back to replace them.

I read somewhere about getting the size bar in the top right hand corner to turn yellow so I spammed the waste bin until it turned colour, must have about a 100 at the end of my settlement, lol.

I did find that leaving the settlement dropped happiness, sometimes quickly sometimes not for ages. It seems you have to hang around for hours so I spent my time clearing the settlement, scrapping everything I could find that highlighted yellow, don't know if it's important but I hit 100% whilst I was doing this. Also I scrapped everything that was fallen over, I.e chairs, fences, tables etc.

Good luck and don't give up.

Here were my stats at Red Rocket station by Sanctuary when the trophy popped.

6 people. 6 food. 9 water. 0 power. 60 defense. 5 tier 3 clinics. 7 beds (1 for you) inside 1 large and 1 medium size shack. 1 bell to call the settlers around you. 3 water pumps. 6 mutfruits.

Build enough wooden crates until you are not allowed to build anything else. Go to another settlement and send 6 settlers that do not have names to Red Rocket. Assign 1 person for food. Assign the other 5 people to clinics. 1 for each clinic. After happiness goes up, sleep for 24 hours. Ring bell until settlers go back to their duties. Rinse and repeat.

Do not run a supply line. Never leave the settlement while doing this. It will cause happiness could drop. Make a hard save if you get bored or have to do something.

3 hrs and 15 minutes. As I said before, easy peasy:)

Edited by strngwoodDrJones

Here were my stats at Red Rocket station by Sanctuary when the trophy popped.

6 people. 6 food. 9 water. 0 power. 60 defense. 5 tier 3 clinics. 7 beds (1 for you) inside 1 large and 1 medium size shack. 1 bell to call the settlers around you. 3 water pumps. 6 mutfruits.

Build enough wooden crates until you are not allowed to build anything else. Go to another settlement and send 6 settlers that do not have names to Red Rocket. Assign 1 person for food. Assign the other 5 people to clinics. 1 for each clinic. After happiness goes up, sleep for 24 hours. Ring bell until settlers go back to their duties. Rinse and repeat.

Do not run a supply line. Never leave the settlement while doing this. It will cause happiness could drop. Make a hard save if you get bored or have to do something.

3 hrs and 15 minutes. As I said before, easy peasy:)

My set up was very similar to this. I used the Red Rocket station too. 6 people, 6 food, 6 water, 45 defense, 5 3 tier clinics, 6 beds. I just put wood crates and toolboxes around to raise the size of the settlement into the yellow. I assigned 1 person to food, the rest to the clinics. The one difference is that I didn't stay at the settlement the whole time. I would check in every now and again and ring the bell just in case, but I just played the game like normal and the happiness kept going up every 20-30 mins or so. 

Its just my opinion, but I think one of the keys to this is that every (or at least a very high percentage) settler has to be assigned to do something. That's why some people are getting this with 6 settlers and 5 clinics/1 food and some are getting it with 24 settlers and 18 shops/6 food and so on. Again, just an uneducated guess, but I'm wondering if having settlers not assigned to do something is one of the factors that prevents happiness from maxing out. 

• Like 1

I am stalled at 86 in The Castle. Here are my stats:

People - 18

Food -21

Water - 52

Power - 37

Defense - 92

Beds - 21

I have 4 clothing shops, and 5 clinic shops, because I heard all that matters is clothing, health, and power (TVs, to be specific). I built up the defense for the quest for defending the Castle. I might scrap some of those turrets since I am at max settlement size right now, and build more shops. And since food doesn't matter, maybe I'll take some away and install shops instead.

Besides that, does anyone have any tips as to how else to bring this up to 100%?

• 1 month later...

By far the simplest way to achieve the trophy, this method will outline how to achieve Benevolent Leader with only one settler and as early as level 14. This method is confirmed to work at the Red Rocket and in Hangman’s Alley. It is rumored that once you set it up, you can play the game normally and the happiness will continue to increase without even being there, but I cannot confirm that.   What you will need:

• Local Leader (lvl. 2) -- unlocked at level 14
  • Enough supplies to construct 2 sleeping bags
  • Enough supplies to construct 1-2 turrets
  • Enough supplies to construct a level 2 bar
  • 20 Purified Water
  • 20 Mutfruit (The edible fruit; not the plant)
  • Plenty of wood or cloth (see steps below for explanation)
  • A side activity if planning to wait it out

During this your workshop interface should read: People:1 Food:0 Water:0 Power:0 Defense:5-15 Beds:2 Happiness:xx% Size:[Full/Yellow]   The following steps must be done in order for it to work properly as I cannot confirm if it works with them out of order:

1. Choose a settlement that has not been touched by you for purposes of ensuring that the current population is 0. It must have 0 people in it while you are setting it up! Avoid settlements that have named characters -- reiterating the idea of choosing an empty location. DO NOT SET ANY SUPPLY LINES TO THE LOCATION. MANUALLY BRING ALL YOUR MATERIALS.
    1. Red Rocket and Hangman’s Alley are confirmed to work!
  2. Go to the settlement and scrap any junk (cinderblocks, ruined houses, trees, etc.). This will help you get some of the needed resources while also making the place more aesthetically pleasing.
  3. Put 20 Purified Water and 20 Mutfruit in the workshop. Since you are not growing food or producing water, you must provide enough for them to live. The Settler will take from the workshop when they are hungry/thirsty thus removing the need for food or water production. They should only use about 10 of each, but you are providing 20 just to be safe. If you are low on these you can reduce the amount you put in there, since they will likely only use about 10 -- better to be safe than sorry!
  4. Place only 1 sleeping bag in an enclosed area (Red Rocket’s Garage, Hangman’s shacks)
  5. Place a turret in a location of your choice. Only 1 is needed for this, but it’s advised to place a few just to be sure. Three turrets should be more than enough.
  6. Construct a level 2 bar in an accessible location.
  7. Now, you must fill up the size bar in the upper right corner until it turns yellow. When it turns yellow the settlement will now be classified as large -- making up for the fact that you only have 1 settler. You have the option of needing wood or cloth for a distinct reason. You may stack endless boxes on top of each other to fill that bar, but you can also place decorations everywhere. Decorations will increase the speed at which the settlement becomes happy. I would highly recommend filling the bar to the max will decorations to speed up the process, and it should be noted that flags can be placed on top of eachother, so just pick a wall and spam X.
  8. Go to another settlement and find a person with the title “Settler” and move them to the location you are obtaining the trophy. Do not use anyone with a title except settler as it will interfere.
  9. Go back to the settlement you just sent your new settler and assign them to the level 2 bar. If they are not there yet it is likely that they are still traveling so you may need to sleep a few hours until they arrive. You may construct a bell to help locate them, but it is not necessary.
  10. Construct another sleeping bag in an enclosed area -- this one will be yours and must be done last.

You’re all set up, which begins the waiting game: Sleep 12-24 hours (Making sure to wake up during the day) and immediately open the workshop interface. Sit there until happiness increases and repeat. Happiness will increase about every 10 minutes, so feel free to set a timer on your phone and go about with your daily business.   It is rumored to work even if you are not there, but I cannot confirm that as that is not what I did, so please wait to be sure.  

• Like 4

I read the method above this morning, and I can confirm that it works beautifully.

I couldn't use Red Rocket, since I started building there, so I went to find Hangman's Alley. I did everything up to the last task, then went on to do some quests - I would return now and then, but the up arrow never vanished. I placed almost a hundred kitten paintings on a wall :D

It popped when I reported back a quest far away from home, so I can confirm that the happiness grows even when you're not around. Thanks again, it is really the simplest method, although I played almost for 8 hours after completing the tasks above.

• Like 3

I read the method above this morning, and I can confirm that it works beautifully.

I couldn't use Red Rocket, since I started building there, so I went to find Hangman's Alley. I did everything up to the last task, then went on to do some quests - I would return now and then, but the up arrow never vanished. I placed almost a hundred kitten paintings on a wall :D

It popped when I reported back a quest far away from home, so I can confirm that the happiness grows even when you're not around. Thanks again, it is really the simplest method, although I played almost for 8 hours after completing the tasks above.

Thanks for confirming! Trying to get it put into the guide. Spread the word and help more people that are struggling!!

Since it can be done at level 14, I think 8 hours is reasonable if you're going to continue to play the game. When I sat there and waited it took an hour or two, but I would have much rather played the gae than set a timer on my phone and wait!

Edited by jacob8151996

• 2 weeks later...

Got this today I had issues did it first with the co-op and got it to 98 with sleeping 24 hours method then it starts dropping so followed a guide at the red rocket with this set up

6 mutifruit

7 beds - one is for you

6 settlers

5 lvl 3 clinics

60to80 defence in a ring around the place

Set on settler to the fruit that will get you six food the others on the clinics then just sleep 24 hours then stand in one place with th build menu open till it ticks up in happiness and repeat took me 2 hours but got it in the end

finally got it!

Red Rocket Truck Stop

1 Settler

1 Tier 3 Clinic

Have plenty of food stocked in the Workshop. 

3 water (1 water pump)

1 Turret for 5 defense

2 beds

Max out settlement size with whatever junk you want.

Stay in the settlement to keep the settler safe from raiders/mole rats

I really struggled with this trophy, even using some of the tips from here.

anybody some advice for me?did my research.     

i have  23 emperiums  (clothing,clinic,drinks,general store)
27 ppl 
27 beds 
29 food 
40 water 
192 defense 
paintings(and other decorations) all over the place 

(70 power)
but stuck at 98

starlight drive in.

Edited by GuerillaSport

anybody some advice for me?did my research.     

i have  23 emperiums 27 ppl 27 beds 29 food 40 water 192 defense paintings(and other decorations) all over the place 

(70 power)but stuck at 98

starlight drive in.

Do the method that Green listed above. Very easy.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Maybe it is common knowledge but here is another tip that helped me to get the trophy today: Let you companion go to another settlement, is better to be a lone wanderer. If your companion gets idle for a long time the happiness of your settlement decreases even if you're doing everything the right way.