The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

I'd replace New York with Canada and add the Monday after 'Mania crowd.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Canada. They rarely get any shows now, unfortunately. And yeah, 'Mania after Raw is always awesome.

Yeah we're awesome :D. Don't try to push your babyface shit in our Country, we are going to cheer for whomever we want.

I remember I was at a House show in Calgary and Edge and Christian were trying so hard to get us to boo them (during the E&C days). Finally they just shrugged and said "Well I guess Edmonton just loves us" which of course got huge boos from the crowd (not from me because what the fuck does a guy from Winnipeg care about Edmonton :P).

Those guys were so much fun to watch :)

RAW has actually been decent tonight. Will Reigns walk out tonight with the WWE Heavyweight championship? Or will he walk out with no job?

People get "fired" all the time. He's not winning tonight. He'll be fired, then appear every week to attack random people and piss HHH off. Until eventually HHH retires him, and challenges him to a match at Royal Rumble.

They did this with Cena ~4 years ago.

People get "fired" all the time. He's not winning tonight. He'll be fired, then appear every week to attack random people and piss HHH off. Until eventually HHH retires him, and challenges him to a match at Royal Rumble.

They did this with Cena ~4 years ago.

You can't keep losing title matches though. Eventually you have to win or else you kill a guy.

You can't just keep getting title shots handed to you and losing everytime :(

I see Vince has reached into his bag of one trick.  Any time the rating tank he's got the same "fix"... put himself on TV.  

Rest of the show has been pretty good though.  The extreme rules match was good stuff and New Day is solid as always.  Wish they would lay off the backstage talking a bit but what-r-you-gonna-do when you have three hours to fill?  Other than start a useless match, have Vince stop it before sitting in a chair for several minutes then get to the actual segment after as much time as possible has been wasted on nothing of course.

Yeah NXT is amazing. I can't believe it's a WWE product sometimes. By the way, NXT Takeover: London is this Wednesday (NXT Takeover are basically NXT PPVs). And if you haven't already, I'd recommend watching the last 2 Takeovers, Brooklyn and Respect. Takeover: Brooklyn had the best match of the year, Sasha Banks vs. Bayley.

I watched both of them but I missed Kevin Owens vs Finn Balor and Bayley vs Sasha, don't ask why i don't know I think I left and forgo to finish them

That's the way to push Reigns.  

Rule #1 - keep the mic out of his hand!!

Rule#2 - have the ass-kicker kick ass

Rule#3 - get on with it already, he's not Daniel Bryan.  He was booked as unstoppable for far too long to have anyone believe he's an "underdog" and the more time you waste on him losing and chasing the less interest people have.

The past couple of days have been (almost) perfect booking for Reigns.  Going berserk and destroying HHH instead of endlessly pouting and talking was an amazing decision and it kind of turned him around.  I personally believe that HHH is a perfect opponent for him, his mic ability and ring savy are enough to carry the build and hide Reigns' limitations in the ring.  If you can't have a good program with HHH... then you can't have a good program with anyone.

That's the way to push Reigns.  

Rule #1 - keep the mic out of his hand!!

Rule#2 - have the ass-kicker kick ass

Rule#3 - get on with it already, he's not Daniel Bryan.  He was booked as unstoppable for far too long to have anyone believe he's an "underdog" and the more time you waste on him losing and chasing the less interest people have.

The past couple of days have been (almost) perfect booking for Reigns.  Going berserk and destroying HHH instead of endlessly pouting and talking was an amazing decision and it kind of turned him around.  I personally believe that HHH is a perfect opponent for him, his mic ability and ring savy are enough to carry the build and hide Reigns' limitations in the ring.  If you can't have a good program with HHH... then you can't have a good program with anyone.

Yeah, it looks like they finally got Reigns over. All it took was a year long build up. Complete focus on him for the past 2 months, multiple segments on Raw and Smackdown. Multiple title match screwjobs. Him destroying the top heel character, HHH, after going through a TLC match. An appearance by Vince (who hasn't been on TV in over a year). Taking Vince out. Single handily destroying Rusev, Del Rio, and Sheamus after the former 2 interfered at the end of the match.

So basically, they had to out-SuperCena Super Cena. I can't wait until WM32 main event, where they even use the golden boy of the past decade to put Reigns over. There is absolutely no way this will backfire on them. I'm sure the fans won't get sick of him in 2 months, when he goes back to his corny jokes and fairy tale promos.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed. All 3 former Shield members are the future. I just think they've done an awful job of pushing Reigns. Shoving him down our throats for an entire year, saying "You'll like him damn it, don't you dare cheer anyone else. This is who we want, therefore, this is who you want". I will not be surprised when WM32, the biggest 'Mania ever, ends with Cena shaking Reigns hand. The official passing of the torch, and that's the last thing they should do. Once that happens, everyone will realize he will be the Cena for the next 10 years, and he won't stand of chance of being cheered.

But enough of that, we need some power of positivity here. So here's Xavier and Big E playing Star Wars. Much like everything New Day does, it's hilarious. 

Yeah, it looks like they finally got Reigns over. All it took was a year long build up. Complete focus on him for the past 2 months, multiple segments on Raw and Smackdown. Multiple title match screwjobs. Him destroying the top heel character, HHH, after going through a TLC match. An appearance by Vince (who hasn't been on TV in over a year). Taking Vince out. Single handily destroying Rusev, Del Rio, and Sheamus after the former 2 interfered at the end of the match.

So basically, they had to out-SuperCena Super Cena. I can't wait until WM32 main event, where they even use the golden boy of the past decade to put Reigns over. There is absolutely no way this will backfire on them. I'm sure the fans won't get sick of him in 2 months, when he goes back to his corny jokes and fairy tale promos.

I don't disagree with this but there are a couple things that are different right now (and by right now I mean the Sunday-Monday booking) that are helping this push.  The first, and most important difference is that he's not generating "you're not Daniel Bryan" heat anymore.  A year ago the fans wanted retribution for the Batista debacle and they got slapped with Roman instead.  That put heat on him that he wasn't going to overcome... unless Bryan went out and there was really no other option.

Second, I personally have no problem with him being a destroyer.  Even in the SHIELD days he was the "muscle", Rollins and Ambrose took care of the talking and he was the ass-kicker.  The "underdog" story line they were trying to push didn't fit him at all and it was kind of an insult to people's intelligence to try and get him over that way.  Especially after they did the same thing with Bryan.  

Lastly, there's no real other options right now so people are going to be more accepting of him as champ.  Whether or not he can carry the weight is (to a point) up to him now.

Well i have just caught up on everything and what a debacle!!! I really do not get this Roman Reigns thing, he sucks on the mic, has zero charisma and is not a good wrestler at all. There are several guys out there who deserve the push before him yet they get nothing!! The whole segment was totally unbelievable and that made it even worse.

RAW was saved by the great extreme rules match that the Wyatt's and the ECW guys had!! That was what the fans want to see!! Blood, guts and violence!!

Well i have just caught up on everything and what a debacle!!! I really do not get this Roman Reigns thing, he sucks on the mic, has zero charisma and is not a good wrestler at all. There are several guys out there who deserve the push before him yet they get nothing!! The whole segment was totally unbelievable and that made it even worse.

RAW was saved by the great extreme rules match that the Wyatt's and the ECW guys had!! That was what the fans want to see!! Blood, guts and violence!!

I would say that fans want good stories and characters they can get behind. 

Car Crash wrestling is neat but it has really hurt the product. ECW was probably one of the worst things that could happen to wrestling because it desensitized the product. Now people are thrown off cages, hits with 10 chair shots, put through 2 tables and thrown onto thumbtacks and are back the next week.

If you did that 30 years ago that guy would be out for months (after one chair shot) and that would build to a huge feud...now that is just done in a regular match. If violence and blood become normal then how do you get heat? Ladder matches and Hell in a Cells have become yearly PPVs instead of a way to settle the differences between two people who have been feuding for months.

When something happens once every few years it becomes a big deal. When two men are going to face off in a Hell in a Cell the reaction should be "holy shit I need to see this" vs "Oh is it October already"

• Like 1

I would say that fans want good stories and characters they can get behind. 

Car Crash wrestling is neat but it has really hurt the product. ECW was probably one of the worst things that could happen to wrestling because it desensitized the product. Now people are thrown off cages, hits with 10 chair shots, put through 2 tables and thrown onto thumbtacks and are back the next week.

If you did that 30 years ago that guy would be out for months (after one chair shot) and that would build to a huge feud...now that is just done in a regular match. If violence and blood become normal then how do you get heat? Ladder matches and Hell in a Cells have become yearly PPVs instead of a way to settle the differences between two people who have been feuding for months.

When something happens once every few years it becomes a big deal. When two men are going to face off in a Hell in a Cell the reaction should be "holy shit I need to see this" vs "Oh is it October already"

Well i would say the crowd reaction tells us the best way of judging it. When they are throwing each other through tables and the crowd chant 'this is awesome' as opposed to booing the shit out of the place i would say that is a good idea of what they want to see?! There is a reason the Attitude Era was so good!! ECW was fantastic to watch when it was on if you could look at it as something separate from other promotions and not compare the two. A lot of the greats came from ECW and it is for a reason.

Personally i dislike the annual PPV's like TLC etc as half the time there is only 1 or 2 matches in that format anyway and the rest are just standard so what is the point and it means you don't get those matches at any other point.

Edited by freddie1989

Well i would say the crowd reaction tells us the best way of judging it. When they are throwing each other through tables and the crowd chant 'this is awesome' as opposed to booing the shit out of the place i would say that is a good idea of what they want to see?! There is a reason the Attitude Era was so good!! ECW was fantastic to watch when it was on if you could look at it as something separate from other promotions and not compare the two. A lot of the greats came from ECW and it is for a reason.

Personally i dislike the annual PPV's like TLC etc as half the time there is only 1 or 2 matches in that format anyway and the rest are just standard so what is the point and it means you don't get those matches at any other point.

But people also chanted This is Awesome when the Shield and Wyatts met for the first time in the ring. They hadn't even touched yet but because those 2 stables had been built up so well people couldn't wait to see them go at it.

Good storytelling will win out over a chair shot to the head any day of the week. Also don't forget the long list of Dead Before 40 Wrestlers from the Attitude era and ECW. Hardcore wrestling was the cause of a majority of it.

No the Attitude era was good because people were invested in storylines. Everyone from Crash Holly to Stone Cold had a reason for going to the ring every week and it made it exciting. People were allowed to be themselves and get themselves over. Now everything is scripted and this Even Steven booking they have make it impossible to care about anyone. As soon as people start getting over they push them back down the card again.

What WWE needs to do is start focusing on a handful of people and start pushing them like they mean something. If they make the wrestlers important then the rest will follow.

Edited by Dr_Mayus