How do you feel about spoilers?

FrecLognAizeW

Spoilers  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about spoilers?

• I'll avoid just about everything before a movie/game/television show I like is released.
    • Nothing is off limits. I'll watch trailers, reviews, full walkthroughs before I play/watch just about anything.
    • I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't like spoilers... but how much depends on the subject matter, my mood, etc.

Just a question that popped into my head, mostly because I'm watching the newest episode of The Walking Dead and their "coming up" segment of the credits for the previous episode I always look away from.  A friend of mine got me doing that, because frankly... even knowing that someone is alive, or having a clue where they are, or what characters are in it, in the next episode is a spoiler IMO.  So I've kind of taken that approach with most things now.  I don't go into games completely blind, because it's too easy to get burned by crap... but I won't watch/read in depth reviews like I used to.

That being said, I know the growing trend is to watch Let's Plays of games... in some cases, people watch other play through the entire game.  Maybe they only do that for games they won't buy.  Or maybe they do?  I dunno.  I know how important it is for some people to make sure that they don't spend their hard earned $60 without KNOWING they're going to like it.

So... how do you feel about spoilers?  Absolutely none?  Do you care at all about them?  Are you somewhere in the middle?

Don't care about spoilers because I'm not a child. It's one thing to know a big revelation in a story, but it's really meaningless if you don't know the context of how it fits in the story. Like flipping open a random page in A Dance With Dragons and finding out Jon Snow gets shanked by the Night's Watch is a meaningless fact if you don't know why that happened or what, if anything, happens afterward. Also, I'm sort of fed up with the whiners who constantly say, "Dude, spoilers! :(" Grow up, it's not my job to make sure you don't have your story spoiled. It's your job, or your emotional maturity, or whatever.

I guess I'm in the middle. If a game I really want comes out I do pretty much all I can to avoid discussions about it until I beat it. But for TV shows I usually going in knowing what happens most of the time anyway since I usually get into shows when they are already a few seasons in or finished.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify. For me it depends on how old something is, which is why I go into something like TV shows without too much care since I normally know what happens. This can also apply to games, since I usually read ahead on trophy guides or something anyway and it doesn't bother me too much. But for something like Fallout 4 or MGSV when it first came out I avoided discussions about it. Unfortunately, someone already spoiled Fallout 4 for me and I felt I was taking too long on MGSV so I went ahead and watched a playthrough. But I like to be considerate for others that haven't played them anyway.

Edited by Redgrave

I generally don't care really. Knowing someone is going to die or knowing the big plot twist isn't going to ruin my experience. The journey to that certain event is more important imo.

That being said, there isn't really an option in the poll that fits my bill. As i won't watch trailers or walkthroughs/reviews before i play/watch anything. I like going in blind.

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 1

Sometimes I'll look up information about an anime or game character and I'll put their name in the Google search box and ...dies always appears. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't exactly fight it either.

So, I guess I am somewhere in the middle.

I'm always reminded of this when it comes to anime spoilers.

frieza-defeated_o_285996.jpg

I was going to say, because you asked for my opinion, and I gave it to you

Well yeah, I asked "how do you personally feel about having things spoiled"... not "what is mentally deficient in people who dislike having things spoiled for them". xD

Everyone has their own way, I suppose.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1

I don't care when it comes to games. I will watch a full playthrough of a game sometimes, before I even play it. I did it with Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. I really only care if it's for TV shows that I'm behind on. If I were 15 episodes into Breaking Bad, and someone spoiled Ozymandias for me, I would hate that person forever.

If it's a show I haven't seen, don't give a shit. One of my buddies thought he was funny when he "spoiled" some major death in Game of Thrones for me. I never have, and never will watch Game of Thrones. So basically he told me some character that I don't know dies, and I don't care.

I also hate having to keep quiet about old stuff, just because someone hasn't seen or played it yet. I was talking about Bioshock 1 with someone, and they told me not to spoil it, because they hadn't played it yet. The games 8 fucking years old, what are you waiting for? Same thing with old movies. If you haven't watched Shawshank Redemption yet, don't complain when I mention a spoiler. When things are 5+ years old, I think it's fair to talk about them without spoiler warnings.

• Like 1

I have nothing against anybody's opninions or views on this subject.

That being said...

I think people who spoil major plots or endings of anything should be strapped down in a dungeon. I think a large Russian woman should loom in a dark door way holding an 18 inch black dildo...slowly approach the asshole....then without say anything beforehand, pound that jackhammer through that bitch and yell, "no spoilers bitch!"

That's just my personal view of people who do such things. Again, nothing against anybody's opinions or views on the subject.

This is for games or movies or tv series as well.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle I suppose.  For something I'm really looking forward to, I will watch the trailers and play any demos.  Final Fantasy XV is an example of this.  Usually I find sticking to trailers or demos, means you won't see much spoilers.  I don't read reviews/previews because that's usually someone else's opinion and I usually find reviews never a good thing to go by as some games get rated a lot higher than they should, and it's the same the other way round to.

For something that I'm looking forward to but not as much as the above.  I don't watch any of the trailers so I don't get myself hyped for it incase disappointment.

As for movies, I don't watch a trailer.  I don't often watch movies, but I might go and see Star Wars.. I have been strictly staying away from trailers of it though.  And I don't actually watch TV that much, watched Doctor Who and it's similar, I turn it off the moment the episode is over as I don't want to see the Next Time clips.

I think people who spoil major plots or endings of anything should be strapped down in a dungeon. I think a large Russian woman should loom in a dark door way holding an 18 inch black dildo...slowly approach the asshole....then without say anything beforehand, pound that jackhammer through that bitch and yell, "no spoilers bitch!"

I can't tell if that's supposed to be incentive to spoil something or if that's a threat not to spoil something :hmm: I'm leaning towards the former.

OT: My opinion is similar to damon's. Life's not the destination; it's the journey. Just because I know what the end looks like doesn't mean I can't enjoy reaching it.

I went with the third one. For me, I don't really care too much as long as I'm not hearing how they got there in the first place - particularly if whatever it is has been out for a long time. I will say that I try to avoid certain things, especially if it's a series I trust. Those I enjoy going in blind too.

So overall, I don't really care.

I watch that part of The Walking Dead. Seeing them on the screen is no guarantee they'll survive the entire episode. But that's as far as I like my spoilers to be. I wish I'd never read the names of the end trophies for Chapter 3 and 4 of Danganronpa 2, since they gave me a good idea of who to look for. I prefer to see things happen as they were intended or it ruins the experience of watching, reading, or playing something for me. I'm very careful about what I say out in public and now even of what trophies I post, to be considerate of those who don't like spoilers as I do. I had the ending of Red Dead Redemption spoiled to me because people were just casually talking about it on a forum. There are ways to talk about something and keep it hidden from those who haven't gotten to that point, yet. Have some respect.