Games that make 'collectibles' fun!

harsly

I couldn't find a thread like this, sorry if I missed it.

I've been playing a lot of Alien: Isolation for the past two weeks and the collectibles are so fun, I actually continued searching for them after I got the trophy (100/151 are needed for the trophy). The Nostromo logs are also very fun.

So I was thinking, what are some other games that have fun collectibles, in your opinion? The only game I can think of besides Alien: Isolation that had extremely well done collectibles is for me The Last of Us, but then again, I haven't played many games. :D

I thought Until Dawn dd collectibles well in the sense that they gave you hints on how to achieve certan things, as well as actually affect the story and dialogue to a degree. 

Dammit, ninja'd. I was going to say this.

I loved the way that collecting or not collecting the collectables gave the character's a different amount of information and affected dialogue. If you missed all of them, you (the player) might have a vague idea of what was going on, but the characters would be clueless. If you got them all, then you'd know what was happening, and so would the characters, and they would react differently to things. It gave every collectible meaning, and finding them didn't feel in any way "tacked-on" to the underlying game.

More games should take a lead from Until Dawn when it comes to collectibles. 

"Infamous First Light" was the first game that came to my mind. I had a blast going after the collectibles on this game and it actually was my favourite part of the game (when, in general, it's the most boring lol). I agree that "The Last of Us" also has very interesting collectibles. I've played this masterpiece so many times that, by now, I know the location of almost all of them without help of guides! I even ordered a firefly pendant for myself! Like some people are already saying, "Until Dawn" also has collectibles that are really well integrated in the game and you wil lose a lot of the experience that game has to offer if you don't go after them.

Puppeteer Heads and Guided Fate Paradox equipments... sure most of them are things are next to useless and probably you won't be using most of the game but the details and the ridiculous animation of some stuffs when used are fun to see now and then...

Harry Potter 1, 2, 3, 6, and, if I remember correctly, 5. Hogwarts was a joy to explore, with secrets hidden behind moveable bookcases, hidden in student desks, chests scattered across the rooftops for you to find once you acquire your broom. 3 was the best in this regard imo - a lot more puzzles involved as well as simple exploration.

Each collectible added to the lore of the Harry Potter world too (in the first 3 games, at least, not so much 5 and 6), but I must admit I never read any of it :blush:

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

Mafia II had collectibles that truly were a pleasure to collect :D

.South Park The Stick of Truth! Even the junk is fun since every last one is a reference to past episodes or characters.

.Mafia 2 (no not just because they were old Playboy pictures :ninja:)

Yes but there was no need for them to have you collect all of them to get the trophy. I got burnt out after 100 but I stuck with it since I love that game.

The Last of Us collectibles were pretty good, the majority of them added a little extra story bits. Ish comes to mind. 

Also, the survivalist notes were cool to find in Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts. He was a damn cool character. 

Edited by KratosTheMighty
  • Like 1

I'll give some love to LA Noire. Not the golden film reels, although I didn't mind tracking those down, but the 30 Landmark Locations that are/were iconic and recognizable to anyone who knows anything about LA/Hollywood. These really added an authentic feel to one of my favorite games.     

• Like 1