Trophy "King for a Day" unachievable?

Supermarco1012

Thank you for responding Rider, working in IT myself, I suspect the most likely answer is that EA use a shared server platform in some regard and at the beginning of March a patch for another EA game or a server reboot may have brought it up working again, possibly the times were all wiped so you didn't see any for friends but were able to add your time and your second account's time, comparing those unlocked it.

Given you can't see the times now, it's no longer working again, should probably update the guide as it suggests your workaround may work but so far no one has been able to and I think it may just have been a lucky day the server re-animated for a brief time.

Do you recall if at the time you were able to add friends or not within the autolog screens?

I suspected that would be why, it's unfortunate, I believe with dodgy servers, old games, strange patches and gamers coming up with inventive workarounds to unlock trophies (but not resorting to account/save hacking or similar illegal methods) that this does come up occasionally, and I'm for a 3 strikes rule, not on one offs.

Edited by AceSoloMcCloud
  • Like 1

Thank you for responding Rider, ...

You're welcome.

...working in IT myself, I suspect the most likely answer is that EA use a shared server platform in some regard and at the beginning of March a patch for another EA game or a server reboot may have brought it up working again, ...

As I am a total IT-noob I do have no idea if that could be the reason but it sounds reasonable to me.

...luck day...

Jep, as I wrote. Maybe it only has been luck.

Do you recall if at the time you were able to add friends or not within the autolog screens?

Sorry, I can't recall if I even tried to add new friends. I think I only tried the Second Account method as this was the easiest way. Edited by Rider

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this a shot today too, exhausting pretty much every option. Local records are not stored across different accounts, the game explicitly depends on the Autolog server to show any friend's times. Rider's workaround is indeed impossible unless EA makes further changes on their server (or patch the game). It's plausible the Autolog main server was down for maintenance for a time, and the backup server was not yet updated to block The Run. However, without a screen capture there's nothing to prove either way, except for the fact the trophy is known to be unachievable...

EA_Tom states on the EA support thread it's a "security issue", it could mean anything really. My guess is they closed down a common port (like http) in order to avoid intruders, or made changes to the authentication process for the server, while The Run is too old as software to support the new methods. In any case the trophy guides should be updated to reflect that Rider's method is not possible for any future players.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SERIOUS EA ?!?!    Too craven for fix this very little problem .... over 9 month ... PLEASEEEE  MAKE A PATCH FOR UNLOCK THIS TROPHY OR WHAT YOU CAN !  its TOO many players need this trophyyyyy ! I am a very serious player for obtain all my trophy a 100 % with platinium ! I have a perfect list EXCEPT FOR THIS NFS NOW ! Broke my perfect list ...  I buy a very big lot of your games  and I have ALLLLLLLL need for speed in my collection since playstation 1 !!  and you can't fix this little problem !!  HEYY !      I PROMISES I NEVERRRRR BUY AGAIN A EA GAMES IF I CAN'T OBTAIN MY PLATINIUM TROPHY BECAUSE OF YOUR FAULT !!!!   MADE SOMETHING FOR THAT !  :angry:

• Like 1

SERIOUS EA ?!?!    Too craven for fix this very little problem .... over 9 month ... PLEASEEEE  MAKE A PATCH FOR UNLOCK THIS TROPHY OR WHAT YOU CAN !  its TOO many players need this trophyyyyy ! I am a very serious player for obtain all my trophy a 100 % with platinium ! I have a perfect list EXCEPT FOR THIS NFS NOW ! Broke my perfect list ...  I buy a very big lot of your games  and I have ALLLLLLLL need for speed in my collection since playstation 1 !!  and you can't fix this little problem !!  HEYY !      I PROMISES I NEVERRRRR BUY AGAIN A EA GAMES IF I CAN'T OBTAIN MY PLATINIUM TROPHY BECAUSE OF YOUR FAULT !!!!   MADE SOMETHING FOR THAT !  :angry:

post it here

answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-Speed-The-Run/quot-King-for-a-day-quot-Trophy-Achievement-needed-for-Platinum/td-p/5355383

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I appreciate everyone else stuck with this trophy like me, and those that post on the EA thread in the hopes of EA doing something about it, however it seems they've drawn an end to their consideration of it. As such I didn't post my previous there myself as I didn't feel it would do any good, possibly the opposite and don't want to make the situation worse with EA, but I wanted fellow trophy hunters to get some info.

I've started a closed PS4/PSApp community for the game for anyone still interested in this trophy.

6 hours ago, UNLEADED_BRONZE said:

Is there another way?

or is the Autolog broken1f602.png1f602.png

There doesn't appear to be any other legal way that we know of, we presume any to have unlocked it have either somehow been extremely lucky with timing (server maintenance of some kind?) or have meddled with their profile/trophy information.

Edited by AceSoloMcCloud

1 hour ago, AceSoloMcCloud said:

I appreciate everyone else stuck with this trophy like me, and those that post on the EA thread in the hopes of EA doing something about it, however it seems they've drawn an end to their consideration of it. As such I didn't post my previous there myself as I didn't feel it would do any good, possibly the opposite and don't want to make the situation worse with EA, but I wanted fellow trophy hunters to get some info.

I've started a closed PS4/PSApp community for the game for anyone still interested in this trophy.

There doesn't appear to be any other legal way that we know of, we presume any to have unlocked it have either somehow been extremely lucky with timing (server maintenance of some kind?) or have meddled with their profile/trophy information.

Unless there is an exploit glitch or something???

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, PauloGamer said:

So you posted your rage on 11/15/2016...but your profiles shows you "won" this trophy a month earlier on Oct 2, 2016. Interesting....

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, AceSoloMcCloud said:

So EA won't give us a proper explanation, only that it's security issue, my hunch about it being SSL Certificate related seems right on the money.

So basically, even if they could re-issue a CA (which costs over $3,000 to do), they would also have to upgrade their server as well. The big thing too is whether they are able to migrate the data in a meaningful way.  

Edited by POEman553

12 hours ago, UNLEADED_BRONZE said:

Unless there is an exploit glitch or something?1f914.png1f914.png

Unlikely, it's not a case of something wrong with the game code preventing it unlocking, which is a common occurrence in malfunctioning multiplayer trophies, this problem is compounded because usually multiplayer data is stored on developer's servers and can't be reset by gamers, if a similar problem happened in a single player trophy, you would start a new game save to have another attempt.

This is clearly the lack of functioning autolog, I've looked into it and so far can't see any workaround, so we have to presume the most likely reason anyone has unlocked it after Jan 2016 is due to hacking their trophies, however that's not 100% proven, so we shouldn't accuse anyone of such, just that it looks very suspicious.

11 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

So you posted your rage on 11/15/2016...but your profiles shows you "won" this trophy a month earlier on Oct 2, 2016. Interesting....

Yes, that is a bit odd, would be nice of the gamer to share his experience with us, ultimately if it leads to more being to unlock the trophy then will vindicate them from any alleged hacking accusation, though I note from the list of gamers unlocking it since Jan 2016, the others have been removed from the Recent achievers list which was posted earlier in this thread.

11 hours ago, willmill97 said:

Hacker. The trophy has been unattainable since Jan 2016.

Well... suspected trophy hacker, based on the current evidence, it's suspicious, but there maybe a honest reason, innocent until proven guilty and all that, and we can't be 100% certain.

I'd rather ask politely if they can explain or remember their experience in case it leads to clues for the rest of us being able to obtain it, legally of course if there is a workaround, and with others having it, then they're no longer suspicious of tampering.

10 hours ago, POEman553 said:

So basically, even if they could re-issue a CA (which costs over $3,000 to do), they would also have to upgrade their server as well. The big thing too is whether they are able to migrate the data in a meaningful way.  

Not sure what cost you're referring to here, anyone can create their own CA at little to no cost (you need a computer and software, which may or may not be a cost), now obviously no one in the world trusts your CA, but then that doesn't always matter. Any further certificates you require, you'd create from that CA, and any software you made, you would include your CA so it trusts it and any certificates it makes, which is what Black Box studios did for NFSTR and likewise other developers for their games.

If the problem is solely that certificate issue, then it depends if they still have the CA and can make another cert, if not and they have to make a new CA and cert, then the game will need to be patched to trust the new cert chain. Replacing the cert with a new one would be the server upgrade, as they would/should request one using sha256 algorithm and a key length of 2048 which is now the standard, that would stop the errors currently.

Of course, this may not be the only problem, or THE problem preventing the Autolog, it's only an error I've discovered so far, and due to patches may have been the cause for the Autolog to suddenly stop working, and given the only info we got from EA was "a security issue specific to NFS: The Run", so it does fit.

18 hours ago, UNLEADED_BRONZE said:

If "What else you got?" Is still attainable then sure there's a way to beat your own personal best in career/campaign/run mode,and if that's possible then maybe is"King for a day"? 1f605.png1f605.png

They're a bit different unfortunately. Luckily it's possible to unlock "What else you got?" as it is about beating a (friends) "recommends", fortunately it seems it counts to beat your own time (only if you receive a better medal than your previous best medal) which also appears as "recommendation" on the screen in the game.

"King for a day" requires you to be a stage leader (fastest time posted), which is a comparison against friends, that uses the autolog for that information and comparison, as since it's not been working it's preventing that happening, improving your own time won't help sadly. Attempts to use two accounts on the same console, in the hope that some kind of "local" leaderboard data exists haven't worked.

18 hours ago, xTrap-ViisiioNz said:

So wait a second ( its off topic now ) That means the ppls from thq nordic can do that same stuff for the darksiders 2 servers but refuse it bc they mean they can't and they haven't a code for that game, but in that case they have lied to us and won't make do something?

I'm not familiar with the Darksiders 2 servers, it maybe similar or may not.

Edited by AceSoloMcCloud