Sony isn't sure there will be a PS5.

JapanimeGamer

I've got to hand it to Microsoft, for not shoving a new system down their customers throats so early.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/37036-new-upgraded-xbox-one-model-incoming/

I don't expect this gen to last as long the previous gens. But at the end, its mostly upto the devs. If they say they can't work with the limitations of the current hardware, both Sony and MS will have to bring out new consoles with better hardware. Both the rumored new hardwares could extend the lifecycles of the consoles by a couple of years, but it probably won't last as long as previous generations.

Why will it be a worse experience than what we have already? Genuine question I'm not a technical expert at all?

All I'm saying is... it's not going to be actual 4-K in terms of resolution, the real thing I'm talking about. 4.5 wouldn't be able to handle real 4-K gaming, and if the developers think they can jam in high details into games at 4-K, I'd pay to see it. It's just going to be 1080/2-K at most.

All I'm saying is... it's not going to be actual 4-K in terms of resolution, the real thing I'm talking about. 4.5 wouldn't be able to handle real 4-K gaming, and if the developers think they can jam in high details into games at 4-K, I'd pay to see it. It's just going to be 1080/2-K at most.

Which is still better than what we have now right?

A 5 year span then a 6 so the next must be a 7 span? Really thats your logic? As I see it were around 2.5 years in to the lifespan of the PS4 and the ps5 could drop at the 5 year point so around 2019. 

None of us know how long it will take for the PS5 to come out but in my opinion it wont be as long as the gap between 3 and 4 was. You can say I was right in 2019 :)

Given that games are becoming more and more technically complex, and hence difficult and costly to make, it makes total sense for console generations to become increasingly longer. So that the components came become cheaper and game-makers have more time to get used to the new technologies being introduced.

Not to mention, the more games advance, the less they have to improve. PS2 was a significant upgrade over the PS1 and the PS3 also improved substantially over the PS2 (though not as much). The PS4, on the other hand, didn't improve all that much over the PS3. Sure, we have shinier graphics, higher resolutions, more stuff on screen at once and stuff like that, but... was that really that much of a difference over what we had with the PS3? Can you honestly say that games changed substantially with the improved horsepower?

If you think about it, games as we know it are reaching a technical ceiling (if they haven't done so already). After the improvements brought on by the PS4, the only things left to improve are upgrading the resolution to 4K... and I think that's about it. And not everybody has, needs or even wants 4K. Games are what matter, and right now, I think, unlike the times of the SNES, the only thing limiting game-making right now is the imagination of developers. That's why I think Sony is even making the NEO at all. Because they know they won't be able to improve substantially over the PS4 for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I still think there may be a PS5... eventually. I just don't think we'll be seeing one for quite some time. Though I also think it's equally possible that console generations as we know them may be over, with just small same-generation improvements that won't keep the early adopters from playing the newest games (a la PC gaming). Pushing for further substantial technical improvements on games may be financially unfeasible... and just not really worth it. Hence why an entirely new Playstation may not come at all... or just take a much longer time to do so.

Given that games are becoming more and more technically complex, and hence difficult and costly to make, it makes total sense for console generations to become increasingly longer. So that the components came become cheaper and game-makers have more time to get used to the new technologies being introduced.

Not to mention, the more games advance, the less they have to improve. PS2 was a significant upgrade over the PS1 and the PS3 also improved substantially over the PS2 (though not as much). The PS4, on the other hand, didn't improve all that much over the PS3. Sure, we have shinier graphics, higher resolutions, more stuff on screen at once and stuff like that, but... was that really that much of a difference over what we had with the PS3? Can you honestly say that games changed substantially with the improved horsepower?

If you think about it, games as we know it are reaching a technical ceiling (if they haven't done so already). After the improvements brought on by the PS4, the only things left to improve are upgrading the resolution to 4K... and I think that's about it. And not everybody has, needs or even wants 4K. Games are what matter, and right now, I think, unlike the times of the SNES, the only thing limiting game-making right now is the imagination of developers. That's why I think Sony is even making the NEO at all. Because they know they won't be able to improve substantially over the PS4 for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I still think there may be a PS5... eventually. I just don't think we'll be seeing one for quite some time. Though I also think it's equally possible that console generations as we know them may be over, with just small same-generation improvements that won't keep the early adopters from playing the newest games (a la PC gaming). Pushing for further substantial technical improvements on games may be financially unfeasible... and just not really worth it. Hence why an entirely new Playstation may not come at all... or just take a much longer time to do so.

I can't say I agree as the PS4 is already behind the PC and if we were to wait another 5 years its going to be like comparing Wii U to PS4. 

I agree. Even though they claim 4.5 will be 4-K ready, it's trickery at it's best. 

Well they haven't claimed anything yet, theres been no announcement. 

I can't say I agree as the PS4 is already behind the PC and if we were to wait another 5 years its going to be like comparing Wii U to PS4. 

Well they haven't claimed anything yet, theres been no announcement. 

Yes they have? 4.5, they stated will be 4-K. Sigh look it up man.

PS4.5 / Neo hasn't been officially confirmed by Sony as of yet. If it is indeed true, we'll see something at E3. But the leaks so far makes it sound like its true.

I see. It seems like it will be 2-K in-games while being upscaled to 4-K on 4-K TV's at the same time, doubt the average console gamer will tell the difference/or even care. Anyway, I contacted XBOX Support a few minutes ago and they confirmed to me they have no new console in the works and have no plans at all in the future in making another console. I also showed the Chat rep from XBOX Support, the op's image he/she posted, that source is being tracked down/dealt with as we speak. If the op's are going to make these threads, they might as well build a gaming PC. Because then, they can upgrade any time.

I never said it's impossible to improve upon the PS4's capabilities, just extremely expensive... and mostly irrelevant, since there's not really much to improve on.

Edited by jrdemr

I see. It seems like it will be 2-K in-games while being upscaled to 4-K on 4-K TV's at the same time, doubt the average console gamer will tell the difference/or even care. Anyway, I contacted XBOX Support a few minutes ago and they confirmed to me they have no new console in the works and have no plans at all in the future in making another console. I also showed the Chat rep from XBOX Support, the op's image he/she posted, that source is being tracked down/dealt with as we speak. If the op's are going to make these threads, they might as well build a gaming PC. Because then, they can upgrade any time.

Xbox support are a group of people in a call centre they won't be able to tell you there's a new console coming out until it's announced by the company.

I'm not bothered either way but I woudnt take that as gospel.

A 5 year span then a 6 so the next must be a 7 span? Really thats your logic? As I see it were around 2.5 years in to the lifespan of the PS4 and the ps5 could drop at the 5 year point so around 2019. 

None of us know how long it will take for the PS5 to come out but in my opinion it wont be as long as the gap between 3 and 4 was. You can say I was right in 2019 :)

I see discussing anything with you is pointless as you skip of explanations and then never reveal any of your own explanations:

it only makes sense that a more complicated machine and complete architecture change, while being compatible with existing services would take 7 years.

That's not even bringing into the argument that Playstation had to create all their programming API's, document them, get them distributed to the developers, get the developers on board with buying into the new console, etc. 

Not everyone who has a PS4 even remotely cares about what is going on with PCs. If PS4 gaming looks and plays great and fulfills their gaming requirements, they aren't concerned that the .1% of PC owners who call themselves gamers can buy the performance level they can afford and console gamers have lower resolution and performance. Boo hoo.

Since I need to spell it out for you: PS4 does not have to directly compete with PC gaming. If the gap in gaming quality in your predicted future makes the PS4 compared to PC gaming look like Wii U to PS4 does now, then some quantum leaps need to happen in graphics technology and the programming for that technology is going to be more complicated than anything out right now. 

2-k? No one refers to 1080 as 2k. You sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by DaivRules

Seems like no one let you in on the details. 4k resolution is what you are referring to as 2k. The full resolution of 1080 gaming is 1920 x 1080. 1920 horizontal by 1080 vertical. 4k is 4 times the resolution at 3840 by 2160. As part of the marketing speak, they adopted the first (horizontal) number this time and rounded upward. 3840 = 4k. If they were to try to do what you are probably referring to as 4k (7680 x 4320) that would be sixteen times the resolution of 1080 gaming. Nothing out right now is running at that resolution on any kind of playable frame rate that I'm aware of.

And it has only been some nerds who call themselves journalists who nicknamed the updated PS4 as the PS4k, not Sony. It has all been speculation at this point. I said from the first article that there is no way the hardware that AMD is supplying to Sony is capable of pushing 4k at playable framerates for all the PS4 titles out there.

Typical...  -_- Capitan obvious attempts to correct me with knowledge I already knew in his own context.

Edited by rektcar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...