Dark Souls Developer Already Working On New IP

Xel

Dark Souls 3 director, Hidetaka Miyazaki has confirmed that From Software is already working on new IP, while reiterating that the studio does not want to return to its most famous series, saying "Dark Souls is over."

In an interview with GGN Gamer (as translated by NeoGAF users and Google Translate), the From Software president confirmed a brand new game from the company: "I think it’s time we take a step to a new direction," explained Miyazaki. "Development of a new IP has already begun."

Miyazaki had previously said that Dark Souls 3 would be the last game in the series, and uses this new interview to clarify that feeling:

"There’s absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can’t say for certain the possibility is 0%. For example, if a From Software developer come to me five years from now and beg ‘please let me make another Dark Souls‘. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project. What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over."

Miyazaki made clear that this feeling applies to Dark Souls' predecessor, Demon's Souls too, responding to a question about a sequel by saying, "we want to try new things." Presumably, that also applies to Bloodborne which, despite ostensibly being a new franchise, relies heavily on the Souls games' template.

However, there is one From franchise Miyazaki seems interested in continuing - Armored Core:

"Personally I want to do it," Miyazaki replied to a question about the mech action series. "After all I was involved in three games in the series. Armored Core is one of the pillars of From Software's lineup, but I can't reveal anything at the moment."

As for his latest game, Miyazaki also confirmed that Dark Souls 3's two DLC packs would arrive in Fall 2016 and early 2017.

We sung Dark Souls 3's praises in our review, giving it a massive 9.5 and calling it a "worthy send-off" to the series.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/dark-souls-developer-already-working-on-new-ip/

This saddens me, just got into the Souls/Borne series will DS2:SotFS and Bloodborne. Playing DS3 currently and loving it. Hopefully tho even if they end DS they will still make a sequel to BloodBorne. Hope whatever they have in store for us will be amazing like everything else they have done. If your a fan of Souls tho I highly recommend trying out Nioh while you can. It'll be the next game I play after finishing DS3.

This saddens me, just got into the Souls/Borne series will DS2:SotFS and Bloodborne. Playing DS3 currently and loving it. Hopefully tho even if they end DS they will still make a sequel to BloodBorne. Hope whatever they have in store for us will be amazing like everything else they have done. If your a fan of Souls tho I highly recommend trying out Nioh while you can. It'll be the next game I play after finishing DS3.

It's time to backtrack then, staring with Demon's Souls. It'll only be a little bit harder to play, mechanically, but starting from the beginning should satisfy you. And I think by then you'll find that 5 games are enough too :P

This is the same Miyazaki that said Pendant had a use, and that Dark Souls I and Dark Souls II were in no way connected.

So yeah, I can't wait to see what Dark Souls 4 looks like!

(All jokes aside, best of luck to Fromsoft. Looking forward to the new IP.)

Edited by Bubblyfishes
  • Like 1

I can't wait to see what From delivers in their next project, even though saddens me to hear this news about one my favorite series ever. However i'm glad they finished the series with one of the best, so I'm all in for their next project, besides team ninja will deliver Nioh this year and also has new dlc coming for goty, so I'm good.

Sucks that it's over, but maybe it's better that way. It's better to end the series somewhat quickly rather than overdone it till it gets boring.

Like Assassin's Creed. They're doing their damnedest to run that series into the ground. Honestly about sick of them. Wouldn't mind a new God of War though.

Edited by Dragn_Dolphin

I never played a dark souls game yet as I got too many games at the moment but I hope they bring dark souls 1 to PS4 so I can play 1,2,3 and Bloodbourne as a collection. People are not fans of remastered games but I am as it gives players who never play the chance to play the game.

Even though they know the Dark Souls series is a money grabber they at least have the balls to move on unlike most game companies these days. Capcom and EA comes to mind for some reason... :unsure:

Edited by Xugashi
  • Like 1

I'm pretty certain that the FromSoft B-team will go on to make a Dark Souls 4 in the future. Bandai Namco loves that Souls money too much to not pressure them to do it. Doesn't matter though, as long as Miyazaki gets to do what he wants. Personally hoping for a return to the mecha genre, but i'd imagine it being something entirely different.

Edited by Happy