Golden Week sale recommendations

ab4h4r4k1

So, the Golden sale is finally up. But I want some opinions on three games before buying any:

- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (VITA)

- Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines

- Senran Kagura Bon Appetit

For those who played, what are the pros and cons of those games?

Only played Bon Apetit, some great songs, but if you're going for plat, can be a bit of grind seeing as there's only 12 songs in the base game, 22 with the DLC pack and the last trophy you'll get is to complete 200 songs. The stories will only take you 100.

But some good music either way. Bon Apetit Playlist

Secret Ninja Art Of Love, Break Out Of Your Shell + Pretty Prisoner are personal favourites. 

• Like 1

Only played Bon Apetit, some great songs, but if you're going for plat, can be a bit of grind seeing as there's only 12 songs in the base game, 22 with the DLC pack and the last trophy you'll get is to complete 200 songs. The stories will only take you 100.

Thanks for the info. It feels really wrong to have to purchase the DLC to get all trophies...

Platinum-wise or gameplay-wise?

Entertaining-wise. I really dont care about plating a game, but if I like it I may plat it someday.

It's nowhere near as bad as the 4-8 songs in total that hyperdimension neptunia producing perfection has

But PP is a raising game not a rhythm game.

Thanks for the info. It feels really wrong to have to purchase the DLC to get all trophies...

Entertaining-wise. I really dont care about plating a game, but if I like it I may plat it someday.

For me, the songs in the game and the rhythm game elements were both just okay (admittedly a better rhythm game than P4DAN imo). Most of my entertainment came from reading the dialogue between characters in the story mode, so if you played any other Senran Kagura games before you sort of know what to expect dialogue wise. If you haven't, then I guess look up a bit on yt, and see if you want to experience it firsthand.

As for the rest I can't/shouldn't comment given I haven't/barely played the other 2.

• Like 1

I'd advise against buying Bon Appetit unless you're a major fan of the Senran Kagura franchise. The songs are decent enough but very limited. The lewd finishes get boring after a while too. When you FC every song, you'll end up seeing the same scene over again. The story was the best part of the game even though the major focus is "plot" and not plot.

But PP is a raising game not a rhythm game.

SK is also a raising game :eyebrow:

• Like 2

Digimon is amazing, awful translation is the only issue it has. I played it on PS4 though.

Oreshika is great as well, 100-200 hours of fun gameplay for a very modest price. Some gameplay mechanics (having to remember dungeon path for ex.) turn some people off.

Bon Appetit is ok, I guess. It's more of a "I have 10 bucks and I don't know where to spend them" kind of a game.

• Like 1

oreshika was 5 dollars before, would wait on it. The plat is diificult. time sensitive gaming, not a fan of. the graphics and gameplay is vreat.

recommend bon appetit, not as good as miku but dam fun. paid full pricd for it, wish i got it at the bargain price.

• Like 1

Digimon is fantastic a great rpg and if you're a fan of digimon it is a definite buy.

Senra Kagura is fun of what I've played of it so far.  But the soundtrack seems to be a bit lacking.

Oreshika has several things going for it.  The art style is fresh and interesting, combat is different enough from standard turn based that it doesn't become boring, and all the clan stuff is a nice small distraction in between fights.  On the downside I constantly felt like I never had enough time to do everything that I needed to do which was especially annoying in dungeons.  Speaking of the dungeons they are probably my biggest complaint with the game.  The dungeons are randomly generated the first time you enter them.  Which would be fine expect the game doesn't give you a map.  It took me one and a half game years before I managed to find the boss area of a particular dungeon. In the end I had to bust out some pen and paper and manually draw a map before I managed to find the boss.

Edited by MrKittyEmperor
  • Like 1

Bon Appetit is a rhythm game for people who really don't play rhythm games.  I agree that the grinding is annoying, but it's also one of those games you can play for 20 minutes at a time and then put down and work on something else for a bit.  In fact, it's probably best that way.

So yeah.  Play through the story mode(s, if you get the DLC), use the cheat code to unlock the panties and save yourself time/effort, and just grind out the remaining songs over time.

Don't know much about the other two first-hand, unfortunately.  People I know who played Digimon really liked it, but they all played on PS4.

Edited by themindisacity

So for someone who really liked Hyperdimension PP but has never played an SK game, would Bon Apetit be a good choice?

Sorry to hijack the thread TC, but I had many of the same questions though instead of Oreshika I am interested in opinions on Ar Nosurge Plus and Hatoful Boyfriend.

Oreshika has a demo. I bought it day 1 and don't regret it at all.

Thanks for this info. I just downloaded the demo and will play after work.

So for someone who really liked Hyperdimension PP but has never played an SK game, would Bon Apetit be a good choice?

Sorry to hijack the thread TC, but I had many of the same questions though instead of Oreshika I am interested in opinions on Ar Nosurge Plus and Hatoful Boyfriend.

No problem. Ar nosurge looks interesting too, but something is telling me that I will not like it.

Thanks for this info. I just downloaded the demo and will play after work.

No problem. Ar nosurge looks interesting too, but something is telling me that I will not like it.

Ar nosurge is decent, but with the lack of the localization of the first game and being part of the ar tonelico universe, it is incredibly disappointing compared to the ar tonelico trilogy.

Bon Apetit gets boring as fuck grinding out those remaining songs, and worst thing is you can't half arse it either; you have to win them. I agree though the interactions between the girls are far better than one would expect, especially in Shinovi Versus. I feel like the writers and animators were in different buildings with the writers not really knowing how lewd the games are because the backstory of the games is pretty damn violent and serious (you don't really see any of it, though). 

I've been playing a fair bit of Cyber Sleuth over the past few days and it's quite good. Lot of variety in the way you can set up your party though the story is pretty banal. 

I'm curious about Cyber Sleuth too. I'm probably going to get it, but I want to make sure the Vita version is okay. It's $12 less than the PS4 version, and I don't want to learn that there's a good reason for it.

Well it originally was a Vita game and you can tell even on the PS4 which I've been playing it on (both versions are around about the same price on our current sale), so I can't imagine it being that bad. It does feel very on the cheap, design wise I notice aside from the character models and Digimon. 

Digimon Cyber Sleuth - if you like JRPG... GET. THIS. ONE.. my fave game this year... gameplay-wise it is really fun~

Oreshika - hmmm... if you are not aiming for the plat... I would recommend this one as well, the art is nice, the story is good as well, it's gameplay is quite different from other JRPG out there though, it might take some time to get use to it's mechanics... 

I haven't played Digimon yet, but it is literally in my PS4 right now, waiting to be played.  Dark Souls III says not yet though...

Oreshika I have played a bit of.  I really don't remember it in all honesty.  I should get back to play some more

Senran Kagura is OK.  I platted it, but I won't ever touch it again.  I love Rhythm games, and that one might be one of my least favorite due to the lack of song variety. 

I grabbed Hatoful Boyfriend from the sale because $2.50 and to shut up a friend who has insisted on me trying it out. I've done three playthroughs so far (They are short campaigns) and I don't know what the F I'm playing or why. My buddy says the game has a lot to say about humanity and gets dark but I haven't seen that just yet. It isn't bad (though so far I can't say it's good either) so I don't necessarily want to dissuade you, just sharing my experience so far. Also of note, it is the type of VN without any puzzles or gameplay aside from a few choices and dialogue options.

• Like 2