Uncharted 4 vs The Last of Us

What do you think is the better Naughty Dog masterpiece? Personally I can't decide since they both hit the same strong notes in story and gameplay except The Last of Us is more brutal and in depth with its mature storytelling in comparison to Uncharted 4 where it's still Uncharted except it makes sure to let you know it's the last Uncharted game by also having these slightly more mature themes in the story. In defense of both, The Last of Us is "The Last of Us" while Uncharted 4 is a good blend of both Uncharted and The Last of Us. I probably do prefer Uncharted 4's combat more due to its freedom in accessibility between stealth and combat going back and forth with not as much consequence for doing so, but The Last of Us probably wouldn't feel the same way if it wasn't as focused on stealth. But even more so, they gave me similar feelings with the optional conversations where the optional conversations with Sam in reaching Libertalia were just as powerful as the really the symbolism of the pacing in all of Chapter 10 in The Last of Us, and then with the notes, much like Ish, I probably cared more about learning about Henry Avery and the founders than I have with previous historical figures in the series. Overall with the story though, both games had such powerful moments in the story from both endings to the university and winter chapters in The Last of Us to learning of young Drake's origins further from Uncharted 3 and the romantic or emotional moments between Drake and Elena. Not to mention the relationships Joel and Ellie make with others in the world as well as each other is about as powerful as the chemistry between Drake, Sully, Elena, Sam, and if we're speaking about the series as a whole, Chloe and Cutter, and don't even get me started with all the Uncharted references in the game.

Uncharted 2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Both (real life scale)

But if I had to choose. Last of Us. Since uncharted 4 clearly wanted to be that game tone wise anyway. Except Last of Us did it better and felt right for the game. Look forward to playing that eventually again.

However both are great :)

:)  :) Just similar to the "Black Ops vs Warfare" thread.

Why Uncharted 4 vs The Last of Us? (I'm not judging you though), but wasn't it supposed to be "Uncharted vs The Last of Us?" You were also supposed to manage a poll.

OT: I love all of the Uncharted series, but for this thread, I'd definitely choose Uncharted 4. The gameplay is awesome, the MP is amazing, and I love doing the Treasure Hunting. The bad part is, U4 has too many difficulty settings  :rolleyes:. U4 rocks!!

:)  :) Just similar to the "Black Ops vs Warfare" thread.

Why Uncharted 4 vs The Last of Us? (I'm not judging you though), but wasn't it supposed to be "Uncharted vs The Last of Us?" You were also supposed to manage a poll.

OT: I love all of the Uncharted series, but for this thread, I'd definitely choose Uncharted 4. The gameplay is awesome, the MP is amazing, and I love doing the Treasure Hunting. The bad part is, U4 has too many difficulty settings  :rolleyes:. U4 rocks!!

TLOU isn't a series. Comparing a series to one title isn't exactly the same thing. U4 vs one title is fair.

OT: Thank God we live in a world where people don't *have* to choose one or the other when it comes to video games. You can have and like both the same. If you can't afford both, wait and then you will be able to!

Edited by DaivRules

Uncharted 4 is a sign that Naughty Dog learned a lot from The Last of Us.  Other than the generation of technological improvements, they're pretty similar games in terms of "feel".

The difference will basically come down to, which do you prefer?  The constant doom and gloom of The Last of Us with happy/funny moments, and more subdued action... or the constant happy/funny of Uncharted with moments of doom and gloom, and more over-the-top action?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Uncharted lets you play Crash Bandicoot. I think we all know who the clear winner is.

Really? I got to that bit in the game and was like "this!? This is what everyone get's all worked up about?! Really!?"

I couldn't see the appeal based on that snippet of the game anyway. 

On topic: 

Both are excellent games. Why does one need to be declared the better game? 

For me, they scratch different itches.

I prefer to play Uncharted on an easier difficulty, feeling like a boss during the combat encounters as I smoothly move from cover, to melee, to tossing grenades, etc. The platforming and set pieces are adrenaline pumping spectacles, and great fun. Crushing playthroughs are a hard slog through what feels like badly checkpointed combat scenarios - seriously, I finally manage to kill 30/31 dudes and the last one sneaks up on you and you want me to do the whole thing again... Urgh...

TLoU I preferred to play on Grounded. The feeling of oppressive paranoia with every encounter, having to be stealthy as a mouse if I wanted to survive, and working out how to ghost through most sections, fit well with the tone of the game. 

They're different games which do different things. I can't really pick a favourite. 

There is a similarity between U4 and TLoU. 

Uncharted 4      -44S3e9e22.png - Gift of Gab *Listen to all optional conversations in game*

The Last of Us  -11Scca573.png - I want to talk about it *Engage in all optional conversations*

I like comparing games and finding similarities with interest.

Edited by ee28max

Thats what U4 actually failed to deliver. Twice more time to beat, twice less kills, compared to previous games.

Nice backgrounds tho

However less action you feel Uncharted 4 had compared to the other games, there's no denying the parts of the game that had action were completely over-the-top.  Especially compared to The Last Of Us.

EDIT: Also, in what world does Uncharted 4 take twice as long to beat? xD

Edited by Dreakon13

I think I prefer Uncharted 4 but it really isn't a fair comparison because I've had 5 games to get to bond with the Uncharted characters and only one game with Joel and Ellie. Both games are utterly fantastic and they can both be considered masterpieces, in my opinion. They are too different to really compare to one another though. 

Parker

"The Last of Us" is infinitely better than "Uncharted 4: A Thief's End". "The Last of Us" is "The Last of Us" and Uncharted is Uncharted. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I absolutely love "The Last of Us", but, honestly, I didn't like the mixture between the two games.

I really enjoy both games very much though they feel like they have been made by different companies to me. 

Only thing I'd like to add to the discussion is that I like TLoU multiplayer way better than Uncharted 4 multi.

I do prefer the slower, more strategic approach of TLoU as compared to the running and gunning style of UC4 with its loads of magic/heavy weapon/helpers that make the UC4 multiplayer even more ... fast paced. Or confusing.

• Like 1

Only thing I'd like to add to the discussion is that I like TLoU multiplayer way better than Uncharted 4 multi.

I do prefer the slower, more strategic approach of TLoU as compared to the running and gunning style of UC4 with its loads of magic/heavy weapon/helpers that make the UC4 multiplayer ... fast paced

The only reason I agree with that is because I don't like how different they made Uncharted 4 multiplayer compared to Uncharted 2 and 3 multiplayer in going with loadouts vs picking guns off the ground and either replacing or removing many old features that add to the variety so few multiplayers have like replacing the stealth attack with the grappling hook strike or removing the propane tanks and such making the single player a completely different game from the multiplayer whereas in the past they at least tried to be similar. The new features are fun, but I preferred the old approach better. Interesting you bring up the multiplayer though since I mostly brought up this topic to discuss the two single player campaigns being that they're so similar.

. Interesting you bring up the multiplayer though since I mostly brought up this topic to discuss the two single player campaigns being that they're so similar.

Yes, just had the impression that you more or less already said everything bout the storytelling in your first post ... I fully agree with you.

If you look at the overall atmosphere of campaign and consistency of multiplayer scenarios to that "feeling" or "vibe" or "story"... which would maybe be more in line with your Intention for this threat...  Tlou strikes me as very consistent whereas UC4's multiplayer is just good clean fun with no relationship to the storytelling whatsoever. (Which does not have to be a bad thing, by the way. I am all for "good clean fun" gaming.) :)

I can't choose, they're both equal to me. Each one excelled beyond comprehension! I loved TLOU for its insanely emotional story and UC4 also offered a brighter, funnier, story with emotional aspects as well. In fact I bought the Ink theme yesterday and it literally makes me want to cry. These two games I hold dear to my heart and they're easily my favorites of all time. Here's my rating on a scale of 1-10.

The Last of Us: 20/10

Uncharted 4: 20/10