Why do YOU platinum games?

GHOZTPRIME

To spend more time with the games I enjoy.  I got in the habit of rushing through the main campaign in a game and then moving on to the next. Not only was I spending way too much money, but I was running out of recent releases that I was interested in playing.  Going for trophies helps me "stop and smell the roses", so to speak.  That being said, once I stop having fun going for trophies, I am moving on to the next title.  I don't want my limited free time to feel like work. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a bit of a completionist. Back before achievement/trophy systems, I sometimes 100% completed games just for the fun of it, such as the old PS1 Spyro games, some of the Mario titles, etc. (mostly platformers, come to think of it). Even tried to complete the Pokedex several times on a couple of the Pokemon games, but I always fell short of a few event only legendaries, and I'd end up getting bored trading and evolving my current monsters to try and make it as complete as possible. I think the closest I ever got was around 450 out of the 493(?) Pokemon back in the 4th generation, on Pokemon Pearl.

But I digress. The reason why I like striving for platinums is usually simply because I enjoy the game enough that I want to explore all it has to offer. Other times, the platinum is pretty easy, and doesn't take too much longer to achieve than simply finishing the main storyline in a game or what not, so may as well go for it. No matter how easy a game is though, I don't bother trophy hunting much in games I'm simply getting next to no enjoyment out of. Games are for entertainment at the end of the day. The moment they cease to be enjoyable at all, is the usually the moment I stop playing completely.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

I Platinum games for the same reason many have already exclaimed here:

- Accomplishment or Mastering

- Completionist

- Conclusion

I usually will never touch games again that I have Platinum'd unless it's a favorite or a remaster in which case I hide the older one on PSN Privacy settings.  I do have an OCD problem though when:

- The earlier game of a franchise does not have trophies, such as Assassin's Creed

- Trophies are in the wrong DLC; see Driveclub

- Online Trophies that may have imminent server shutdowns without any other way of getting them

- Game name on trophy list is Bolded or is named different than the game; Street Fighter III is named Street Fighter 3

- Game is given same trophies as older iterations; Ultra Street Fighter 4 is named the same as Super Street Fighter 4

- Weird Trophy Icons like Assassin's Creed Black Flag without any mention of the name of the game on it

There is unfortunately no consistency...

Trophies can greatly improve a game, they can also greater drag out a game to the point of utter boredom.

Some people love trophies, other people don't care about them, I would say I am in the middle of this myself.

At the end of the day no one give a flying toss about my gamer card except me, same for you... and I personally never get impressed by how many platinum's people have got or what gamer lever they are etc... it just shows they spend a lot of time playing games, time which if was spent of other things could easily earn someone a degree or two.

That said, I don't care about what other people do with their time, after all it is exactly that, their time.

I will platinum games that I can and I won't lose sleep over the ones that I can't, that about sums it up for me.

Lastly, if (and I am only using this as an example) that SEGA released a Dream cast II next year with no trophy equivalent system, I would jump all over it, for me games were always better when there was no social pressure to do well on a game, we used to play games because they was fun, not because they had easy trophies.

I don't platinum all my games, but the games I do get a platinum on is because I like the game series, I want the full enjoyment of the game, or I find it easy, plus it gives me a sense of accomplishment, and I like achieving Things. xD

I started developing a completionist/perfectionist habit really early on gaming life, so when trophies came out for the first time in the ps3 i fell like i needed getting them in order to complete the game.

Eventually it started to become a daily base habit to get trophies on games, and actually i can´t play any game nowadays without getting at least 1 trophy on it. I dont consider playing games for trophies a bad thing, on the contrary it is a way to spend more time on the game and take full experience of it.

I guess it's a completionist thing. I only play games that I'm interested in, so trophies play no part in what games I choose to buy. I do feel the need to 100% every game I play, though. Finishing a game and seeing something like 27/50 unlocked with an ugly percentage really bothers me. Sometimes it's a grind, but other times trophies can extend the life of a game and make me do challenges that I'd never attempt to do otherwise.

• Like 2

At the end of the day no one give a flying toss about my gamer card except me, same for you... 

People say this a lot, but I actually DO care about other people's game cards. I wouldn't have joined (and ultimately paid for premium membership for) a site that is all about displaying trophies. I check people's gamer cards quite a bit (particularly those whose most recent games catch my eyes).

EDIT: I literally just clicked on your card (and nearly automatically).  :lol:

I guess it's a completionist thing. I only play games that I'm interested in, so trophies play no part in what games I choose to buy. I do feel the need to 100% every game I play, though. Finishing a game and seeing something like 27/50 unlocked with an ugly percentage really bothers me. Sometimes it's a grind, but other times trophies can extend the life of a game and make me do challenges that I'd never attempt to do otherwise.

It bugs me, too, but not as much as platting a dud like WKC, or Brutal Legend. But I totally understand the feeling.

Edited by starcrunch061

I do it partly because I like the sense of accomplishment I feel and partly because it just looks neater.

I don't have all that much money to spend on games so spending more time on fewer games is certainly beneficial.

I'll never buy a game just for the trophies though and I'd never not buy a game because it has hard trophies, I buy games I like then go for the all the trophies in them.

• Like 4

I usually platinum games mostly for the games I seriously enjoy and for fun mainly because I want to play the game more by collecting trophies and platinuming them. Trophies are challenging and entertaining! Games usually always go first then trophies for me but I always love trophy collecting and platinums hehe!

• Like 2

I platinum the games i want and want to get the most if not everything the game has to offer to fulfill my experience  and sometimes cause i feel in the mood to platinum that particular game either because i can possibly can or just for the fun of it . Although in some cases even if i have a great love towards a certain game i don't have the trouble to platinum the game cause the path to the platinum is simply not worth imo like in Bayonetta or Demon's Souls , for example.

• 3 weeks later...