Why do YOU platinum games?

GHOZTPRIME

Im actually not to sure why I choose to platinum games. I guess it makes the game experience much longer and also give me a sense of achievement. I also have lots of free time but Im going into senior school next year so I'm not planning on getting many more platinums.

Edited by bart_brock

If I see that a platinum is not impossible to achieve with my limited time and skill, I go for it. I love to give respect to a game, showing my dedication for games that I love. At least, this was the principle until today, when I finished Magus. I don't regret buying and playing it, but the platinum was only tempting because it wasn't too far away and wasn't too hard. Even so the last hour was an excruciatingly boring grind (although that can be said about better games as well), and it was just... not worth it. At least I could delete it.

I also want to hit country top 100, just for the heck of it, and platinums certainly help.

That said, I also want to rack up some more platinums before my child arrives in the spring. Then my dedication, time and skill will be for my family.

I've been told (by an professional, actually) that it's connected to my urge to control everything. So... yeah. I'm a control freak and it has nothing to do with OCD or other crap.

... and this is a dick measuring contest. My bar with 100% is longer than yours 60% ;).

I don't see how people are shocked or scoffing at people who have an enormous collection of platinums/100%'d games, this just shows people are devoted to finishing a game by all means necessary, and also have a plethora of time on their hands. If anything, what baffles me more is how people manage to spend thousands of Euros on virtual knives/hats/skins in games like CS:GO/TF2/DoTA 2 etc...

• Like 1

For me, it's a little bit of everything.

1.) I like raising my levels.

2.) I like the way they look.

3.) I like collecting little trinkets.

4.) I have a case of OCD.

Thankfully, I've been doing alot of to combat reason 4.), as that is what interferes with my life in a bad way. I am now at a point with leaving trophy lists for games I can't stand playing incomplete.

Now, I look at platinums as little trinkets to collect, stored away on my system, and instead of being a requirement before I move on, it's now something fun to do.

I usually only buy games Im interested in, and I 100% every game I buy mainly because this ensures Ive experienced all that the game has to offer. 
If I buy a game and then realise that I dont actually enjoy it (*cough* Destiny and AC Unity), I'll usually just take a break and then go back to it when I have nothing else to play.

I guess I platinum games for a number of reasons,

• I enjoy it,
  • I'm a bit of a completionist,
  • I like getting my moneys worth.

I at least start a game with the intention of plat'ing/100% it.  If the game is awful and I don't enjoy it, then I won't bother.  Other than that I just see trophies as encouragement to play the games that I like.

• Like 1

Replay value. Usually there's not much of a reason to keep playing a game after beating it unless there are challenges to complete. And if the challenges or trophies aren't completely insane or unfun, I'll do them until I feel like buying another game. Sometimes a trophy makes me say "No." and I'll just not platinum that game, like with Catherine and Persona 4 Arena.

Good Question I Do This Cuz Long Time Ago When PS1 First Release I Like To Do All Challenge And Unlock  Every Thing On Games 

So When Trophy System Apper Its Great Thing Cuz Now Every One Got To See What You Do

This Why I Collect Trophy Challenge My Self And The Joy When You Got Platinum Is Great i Think Every One Know That Feeling

Edited by dark69knight

Because it's an act of masochism as well. Arguments like "When I earm trophies I'm doing things I'd never do in a videogame!" are also valid for the people who decide to grind / boost / rage while earning trophies.

Also, the "I'm getting my hard earned money worth it!" confirms my point above: if you say grinding for hours to get a trophy and you happen to be a masochist, hell yeah you're getting your money's worth. One thing that contradicts this point of the money worth is the fact some people listen to music / watch podcasts while they happily grind a trophy in their videogame, kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game.

Last but not least, if you're reading this don't get offended. I'm just trying to pass a message that trophies are a waste of time, one day when you have no time you'll look back and ask yourself why did you play for trophies when your backlog was full of good games you skiped because the servers were closed, was a difficult platinum, etc.

• Like 2

I've always respected the fact that people have the time and dedication to sit there for hours and hours getting all these trophies, to see that platinum trophy on their trophy list.

But why why do you platinum games? They don't really mean anything and you dont really get anything out of plat'ing a game.

Do you just have too much time on your hands?

Do you just want to have the highest trophy level out of all your friends?

or Do you simply do it because you can't stand leaving games at anything less that 100%?

I personally have only plat'ed two games; Terminator: Salvation and Resistance: Burning Skies. I did it because they were fairly easy and I enjoyed them. And they didn't require anymore than one sitting to plat.

Why not to play. Its addictive etc.

Like other people said, trophies are a way to keep playing the same game with a purpose. Also there are some plats that are really challenging, so being able to get that 100% feels good xD

But at least with me, i can play games without worrying about trophies. If i just played for the platinums, it would be stressful.

Last but not least, if you're reading this don't get offended. I'm just trying to pass a message that trophies are a waste of time, one day when you have no time you'll look back and ask yourself why did you play for trophies when your backlog was full of good games you skiped because the servers were closed, was a difficult platinum, etc.

I've thought of this and I often think to myself that Eternal Sonata will never be played because it doesn't have trophies and yet I know it'll be an amazing game. Trophies have almost become compulsion for me at this point and I find myself thinking games are a waste of time if they don't have any. This is also the reason my 3DS is a little dusty right now. I'm trying to stop thinking like that and just have fun but it's difficult.

I used to just play through a game's story and be finished with it so trophies add to the experience where that's concerned but I do think I'll miss some amazing games because of lack of trophy support.

However, even when I'm old and grey, I will probably still be trying for trophies because in the end, everything we do is a waste of time so as long as we enjoy it, there's no harm.

• Like 3