Financial Year Backlog Challenge Thing

Planned pick-ups

Abzu

Wow! You actually made me remember that this game is also coming out soon. I was really interested in it when the first trailer for this game was released but I forgot how it was called and couldn't find anything about it anymore. Now I know its name again, thanks! :P I will also most likely pick this up soon after its release :D

• Like 1

Wow! You actually made me remember that this game is also coming out soon. I was really interested in it when the first trailer for this game was released but I forgot how it was called and couldn't find anything about it anymore. Now I know its name again, thanks! :P I will also most likely pick this up soon after its release :D

Happy to be of service. :D

Just finished Gravity Rush! It was a fun game, but I didn't feel like it was uber hype levels like a lot of people made it out to be. Either way, it was cool flying with a galaxy cat.

I think Nihilumbra is next; hope it's worthwhile!

Games Played

Grim Fandango - platinum'd!

Gravity Rush - story beaten

Nihilumbra - in progress

Planned pick-ups

Abzu

No Man's Sky

Missions Failed

None... yet.

Just had a question pop into my head that I'd like to ask about in term of DLC/ pickups, would buying virtual currency (such as VC in NBA 2k16) be considered a separate game purchase? I'd assume that it would fall into the category of smaller DLC but just wanted to get your guys' thoughts since I know that I'll likely be purchasing some over the next year (especially if I want to try and platinum 2k16).

Just had a question pop into my head that I'd like to ask about in term of DLC/ pickups, would buying virtual currency (such as VC in NBA 2k16) be considered a separate game purchase? I'd assume that it would fall into the category of smaller DLC but just wanted to get your guys' thoughts since I know that I'll likely be purchasing some over the next year (especially if I want to try and platinum 2k16).

I'd say that really depends on how much you spend on it. If it's like a 3$ thing and the game is already on your purchased games list I'd just count that towards the overall game price but if it's a lot I'd go with that DLC clause and count it as half of a game. Also, if you're gonna spend more than like 50$ I would probably count that as a whole game purchase instead of half of one.

But yeah, the rules on this challenge seem pretty loose, so I'd say do what feels right to you.

Edited by xFalionx

Wow good luck everyone!  I wouldn't be able to handle this challenge.

For any participants, I will however be offering a free service to "gift" games purely from the goodness of my heart (plus game price, shipping, handling, and a $50 "Goodness of Heart Fee").  :awesome:

But seriously, good luck to all involved.  You can do the thing!

Edited by Komrade_Konrad
  • Like 2

I'd say that really depends on how much you spend on it. If it's like a 3$ thing and the game is already on your purchased games list I'd just count that towards the overall game price but if it's a lot I'd go with that DLC clause and count it as half of a game. Also, if you're gonna spend more than like 50$ I would probably count that as a whole game purchase instead of half of one.

But yeah, the rules on this challenge seem pretty loose, so I'd say do what feels right to you.

I mean, personally, the thought never crossed my mind because I just don't buy such things, but I mean, I don't know... could always just have it set as like 3 games you can buy, and maybe just a DLC/VC allowance? Like, I don't know. Anyways, I'm not gonna be on for the next week, I'll actually be getting home on the first of July, or at least it's the first here, so whatever you guys come up with is cool I guess.

And to anyone else who may be reading this, it's far from too late to join! You can always go for it a week or a month or half a year into the challenge, I mean, we'd all get gold stars and you'd just get a silver, and like a date of joining next to your thing or something, but you know, everyone can saves the moneys!

• Like 1

Yeah there's no way I'd be able to do this. I think I bought like 10 games just this past week and too much stuff coming out that I really want to play to not be able to purchase lol. 

But to be fair with a backlog of 200+ games this is something I really should be getting into.

Blatant copy pasta:

Been working on the Bioshock Infinite Clash in the Clouds DLC.  Just need to finish the last 4 trophies for that then I'll be doing the story DLC (What have I done to deserve such a fate).  I also finally had a certified item in Rocket League drop and it was for shots on goal so I self-boosted that yesterday to 175/200.  Then I'll just need RNG to bless me with a painted item to finish the free DLC.

• Like 1

Blatant copy pasta:

Been working on the Bioshock Infinite Clash in the Clouds DLC.  Just need to finish the last 4 trophies for that then I'll be doing the story DLC (What have I done to deserve such a fate).  I also finally had a certified item in Rocket League drop and it was for shots on goal so I self-boosted that yesterday to 175/200.  Then I'll just need RNG to bless me with a painted item to finish the free DLC.

This post does look familiar  :D

Since I'm really short on money and it doesn't seam like it will change so soon :( (my PS3 backlog is still huge too), I'm kind of tempted to do this, but if I have the means to buy more then 3 games during the next year I will for sure.. (Persona 5, FFXV, Tekken 7 and KH2.8 collection at least..), so I think that I will sit this one out, even tough that I have been doing something similar to try to finish some of my backlog of un-started games..

Good luck to all those who feel like going for this!

• Like 1

Since I'm really short on money and it doesn't seam like it will change so soon :( (my PS3 backlog is still huge too), I'm kind of tempted to do this, but if I have the means to buy more then 3 games during the next year I will for sure.. (Persona 5, FFXV, Tekken 7 and KH2.8 collection at least..), so I think that I will sit this one out, even tough that I have been doing something similar to try to finish some of my backlog of un-started games..

Good luck to all those who feel like going for this!

You could choose those 3 games to be your free passes :P

You could choose those 3 games to be your free passes :P

But I named 4.. Tekken 7 comes out at Q1 2017, FFXV comes out in September, KH2.8 comes out in November (I think) and Persona 5 comes out in February (there's no way in hell that I will wait for the EU release of it.. that's my most wanted game since 2015...).. See, that's why I will almost for sure not be able to resist the urge to buy those 4 games..

And apparently it's to late to join for the full year thing, so I will pass, since going a few months or something without buying anything it's kind of easy for me (I have to renew my PS+ subscription in September, so the earlier I will buy any new game will probably only be around Christmas.. so it's not like I have to try to resist much at all :lol:)

• Like 1

But I named 4.. Tekken 7 comes out at Q1 2017, FFXV comes out in September, KH2.8 comes out in November (I think) and Persona 5 comes out in February (there's no way in hell that I will wait for the EU release of it.. that's my most wanted game since 2015...).. See, that's why I will almost for sure not be able to resist the urge to buy those 4 games..

And apparently it's to late to join for the full year thing, so I will pass, since going a few months or something without buying anything it's kind of easy for me (I have to renew my PS+ subscription in September, so the earlier I will buy any new game will probably only be around Christmas.. so it's not like I have to try to resist much at all :lol:)

You could just admit failure if you do buy all 4 then :P

It starts July 1st which is this Friday ;)

• Like 1

You could just admit failure if you do buy all 4 then  :P

It starts July 1st which is this Friday  ;)

True, but Super-Fly said that's to late to join for the full year.. See the quote.

And to anyone else who may be reading this, it's far from too late to join! You can always go for it a week or a month or half a year into the challenge, I mean, we'd all get gold stars and you'd just get a silver, and like a date of joining next to your thing or something, but you know, everyone can saves the moneys!

I'm confused by that statement also as the OP says fiscal year which is July 1 - June 30. :P

Maybe Spider Man can provide some clarity :D

I think he meant that he no longer accepts new participants for the full year (but the clock only starts on the 1st of July).. Probably something to do with him not being around again before the start of the event.

I think he meant that he no longer accepts new participants for the full year (but the clock only starts on the 1st of July).. Probably something to do with him not being around again before the start of the event.

That's probably it, though if you do join now it will basically be the same and he might do an exception for you since you were there for the whole ride.

I'd go for it if I were you. :D At least it shouldn't hurt to try. ;)

• Like 1

That's probably it, though if you do join now it will basically be the same and he might do an exception for you since you were there for the whole ride.

I'd go for it if I were you. :D At least it shouldn't hurt to try. ;)

Ya, it doesn't hurt.. Guess I will make my lists now..

Games started (and to complete):

- Ni no Kuni - currently playing, only got about 4 hours into it when I initially played it, going back at it again

- Rainbow Moon - 30 hours into it, somewhere in the middle of the story

- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - Story finished

- Kingdom Hearts Re:Chains of Memories - both playthroughs on easy done, need 4 more playthroughs

- Thief - Chapter 1 complete

- Bloodbourne, no DLC - killed 1st story boss..

- Muramasa Rebirth, no DLC - finished story of 1 character

- Grand Theft Auto V PS3 (borrowed from my brother)

For now that's all, but I may pick some other already started games midway..

Games that I'm allowed to buy

Persona 5

Final Fantasy XV

Tekken 7

Games not started yet for whatever reason (backlog), although it's mostly PS+ content.

- Ar Tonelico 3 - Bought for no reason ages ago (along Atelier Rorona, check my trophies for the date :lol:)

- Batman Arkham Asylum - PS+

- Batman Arkham City+DLC - PS+ and I bought the DLC..

- Beyond Two Souls - To borrow from my brother..

- Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut - PS+

- Deception IV - Bought it for no reason for PS3.. I tough it was the Vita version at the time :/

- Dragon's Dogma - PS+

- Dragon's Crown - PS+

- Dishonored GotY Edition - To borrow from my brother..

- Grand Theft Auto V PS4 - To borrow from my brother.. (not likelly that I will play it.. again)

- Hitman Trilogy - bought long ago

- I Am Alive - PS+

- Lost Dimension (Vita)

- Kingdom Hearts II - Bought long ago, only played Birth By Sleep from this KH collection and I want to at least plat Chain of Memories before playing this one

- Kingdoms of Amalur - PS+, no DLC

- Mafia II - To borrow from my brother (unlikely..)

- Metal Gear Solid 3 - Bought, part of the MGS HD collection, never played much MGS, except for Peace Walker..

- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zero - PS+

- Natural Doctrine (Vita)

- Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments - PS+

- Sports Champions 2 - To borrow from my brother (unlikely :lol:)

- Styx: Master of Shadows - PS+

- The Crew - To borrow from my brother..

- Watchdogs + DLC - To borrow from my brother

- anything that I find interesting from PS+ at any time or that my brother buys..

Edit: Final update to the backlog (that should contain all backlog that I intend to play..), since I just bought something that I hadn't planned (ya, that EU sale..)

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 2

I thought about the DLC thing and I think I have a solution for that problem. 

I'd suggest giving everyone in addition to the 3 games a set amount of money, 30$ for example, and letting people use that however they want.

One could spend it on DLC while someone like me who despises DLC and does everything they can to destroy this marketing trend could still use that money to buy another cheap game instead.

Any DLC purchase that would exceed this limit would need to be stated in the cave-in section and anything within that limit would belong into the pickups section.

That's basically what Spider-Guy said but more defined and with my twist for people who don't want to purchase DLC.

I feel like this would solve the DLC problem without causing too much confusion due to complex rules. I'd like to hear your thoughts about this. :)

Edited by xFalionx

I'm all over this idea. I've spent entirely too much time and energy on accumulating games and not playing them. I tried earlier this year to do something similar but it was difficult without the support of others. My plan is to update this with as much detail as I can. Thanks for suggesting this Spider Guy! As a show of support and dedication, I have canceled my Gamefly Account! Let's do this everyone!

PS: Add me on PSN!

Now Playing [Trophy %]

WWE 2K16 [PS4, 45%]

Olli Olli 2: Welcome to Olliwood [PSV, 43%]

Rogue Galaxy [PS4, 21%]

The Legend of Heroes: Trail of Cold Steel [PSV, 15%]

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma [PSV, 4%]]

Shutshimi [PS4, 50%]

Planned Purchases

No Man's Sky

Final Fantasy XV

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Completed [Rating]

1. Oxenfree [7/2/2016, PS4, 9.0/10.0]

Breakdowns ($)

Total Expenditures: $0.00

Starting Statistics

Trophy Level: 38

Trophy Count: 9362

Platinums: 154

Completion Percentage: 75.24%

Edited by Senor_T_Dub
  • Like 3

I thought about the DLC thing and I think I have a solution for that problem. 

I'd suggest giving everyone in addition to the 3 games a set amount of money, 30$ for example, and letting people use that however they want.

One could spend it on DLC while someone like me who despises DLC and does everything they can to destroy this marketing trend could still use that money to buy another cheap game instead.

Any DLC purchase that would exceed this limit would need to be stated in the cave-in section and anything within that limit would belong into the pickups section.

That's basically what Spider-Guy said but more defined and with my twist for people who don't want to purchase DLC.

I feel like this would solve the DLC problem without causing too much confusion due to complex rules. I'd like to hear your thoughts about this. :)

I like this idea, since it would give me room for the ocasional DLC or PS2 emulated game buy (as a rule I never buy DLC or PS2 emulated games unless they are at half-price, so the 30$/€ should be plenty on top of the 3 expensive games and the PS+ subscription, since I believe that the PS+ subscription doesn't count for the challenge).

And making it a numerical value for any and all extra content (be it DLC or extra games for those who don't want DLC) makes an even play-field for everyone regardless if they want to buy DLC or not, as well as makes everything simple to keep track off.

• Like 1

I've got my last few purchases in for the year as well (EB Games had a buy 2 get one free deal on that I couldn't pass up, plus I got enough VC in 2k16 to last me for the rest of the year), gonna work on getting my list finalized in the next day or 2 and I'll be all ready to give my wallet a break :).

As for xFalionx's idea I think that would be a good way to let people like me waste money on pointless currencies while letting others get that DLC or 1 extra game that they want, maybe even make a bonus challenge out of it by trying to limit that spending amount as much as possible? 

• Like 1

I've got my last few purchases in for the year as well (EB Games had a buy 2 get one free deal on that I couldn't pass up, plus I got enough VC in 2k16 to last me for the rest of the year), gonna work on getting my list finalized in the next day or 2 and I'll be all ready to give my wallet a break :).

As for xFalionx's idea I think that would be a good way to let people like me waste money on pointless currencies while letting others get that DLC or 1 extra game that they want, maybe even make a bonus challenge out of it by trying to limit that spending amount as much as possible? 

Technically speaking one could say that I'm already doing this challenge for a while. My last video game purchase was back in march and I'm not planning to buy anything before the start of the challenge. :P

Also I really like the idea of making that money a bonus challenge. There could be little trophy badges and you might get a platinum badge for 0$ of that allowance spent then a gold for anything below 5$, a silver for 10$ and a bronze badge for spending less than 20$ and anything over 30$ goes into the cave-in section. That way there'd be some motivation to not spend money on DLC. :D

• Like 2

Went on a yet another shopping spree thanks to the EU Japan sale, so, uh.... is it too late to join for a full year or what? It's still one\two days short of July, and I need to put my "spend all the moneys" compulsion on the leash fast

Edited by NetEntity