Why i will never platinum this game.

DeadlyHawk78

I suppose, but there is so much context to consider when determining a difficulty rating, you can only hope to hit the bell curve. Your patience, experience and level of skill is likely in that bell curve. Hell, 75% of gamer seeking out guides may be in that bell curve and might the ratings might just seem like they apply to them. But that would still leave 25% of gamer or 1 out of 4 where is doesn't apply.

As you said, context is everything.

I think part of it is that guide makers tend to average the difficulty instead of basing it off of the most difficult trophy. That makes it misleading because who cares if 30/31 trophies are a 1/10 difficulty if that one trophy is a pain in the ass for whatsoever reason? You aren't getting the plat until you get that final trophy.

On the guides I wrote over on XBA I base difficulty off my personal estimation, which is what many seem to do. There are those of course who take an average for their guide but given there are people who like to vote 1 or 10 on those difficulty polls on XBA/PST I think putting in a personal estimation is better. Either way though I don't think anyone should really only go by the listed difficulty given it's going to vary from person to person anyways. A person really needs to read why a game has that rating too since some get high ratings due to actual difficulty and some get high ratings due to time required, which doesn't really warrant a high difficulty rating.

Edited by BooneIronshield

This was my first plat and I rented the game because I was so eager to get my first plat and I heard how easy this game was... but it gave me some difficulties. I got through it, of course, but I died many times. It was a straightforward plat since you just have to play through the game on Hard, but it definitely put up a fight.

However, I did play through it again in local co-op for a friend and it was a cakewalk. Probably helped that I had just beaten it and there was 2 people. 

But now with all these episodic games, there are much easier plats out there.

The guide difficulties I find are accurate for the most part.Sometimes you just don't have the skill like any shooting game for me no matter the difficulty is a 1 meanwhile fighters are 9 or 10's. Depends on a whole bunch of things if you want it to be accurate do a vote on who got a platinum for said game.

if you want it to be accurate do a vote on who got a platinum for said game.

A vote has nothing to do with accuracy and everything to do with popularity. Accuracy would involve a dynamic difficulty rating that accounts for prior gaming experience, preferences, skill level and all sorts of measurable things. However difficulty ratings can also be affected by mood, competition, trends and all sorts of other un-quantifiable things. There can be so such thing as a universally accurate difficulty rating.

I suppose, but there is so much context to consider when determining a difficulty rating, you can only hope to hit the bell curve. Your patience, experience and level of skill is likely in that bell curve. Hell, 75% of gamer seeking out guides may be in that bell curve and might the ratings might just seem like they apply to them. But that would still leave 25% of gamer or 1 out of 4 where is doesn't apply.

That's a solid point you make there too. Sadly, that's why you can never obtain any facts out of opinions as subjective as game or plat difficulties. It's never a "perfect" perspective, merely a good or better one.

I think people vote it a 1 or 2 because basically you just have to beat the game on hard and the plat is yours. THAT BEING SAID. it is more like a 3 or 4 because as others have said the game is horribly buggy to the point it isn't fun to play. I had one time a Terminator was stuck in the wall he couldn't hit me and I couldn't hit him. I had to restart the whole mission because I had to beat him to continue.

See to me when voting I take into consideration other people playing the game. A 1 should mean that anyone could plat the game. Walking Dead is a 1 because really there is no reason you cannot plat that game.

A game like Megamind or any other Disney game gets a 2...as you should be able to plat the game despite your skill level but 1 or 2 trophies may cause you some replay.

3-4 is a game that if you have moderate skill you should be able to plat

5-6 This game has components that make it harder for someone to complete (collectibles, grind, online, very hard difficulty)

7-8 You will need to put in some effort to plat this game OR you are in for a long grind

9-10 Buckle up and get ready for a ride.

I also always preface a rating with "did you use a guide" Sure Grim Fandango is a easy plat if you are using a guide but I wouldn't vote it a 1 because without a guide it is a moderate platinum.

I agree with most of this, with one exception.  Every guide I've read has at least a few comments from people asking others not to vote based on grind, unless that grind is in itself difficult.  Having to replay 2 mins of gameplay 1000 times is boring as fuck, but if there's no risk in those 2 mins and you're rewarded consistently every time, then it's a grind, which sucks, but still 1/10.  If the grind is doing something difficult where you could fail quite easily and you have to do that 1000 times, then that grind is probably closer to an 8-9 or maybe even a 10 cause it's difficult.

Aside from that, I use .org guides only, and have for my 120+ plats.  I hate all the other guides I've ever tried to follow, and while I always find the time estimates on .org to be way too low for me, the difficulty ratings are almost always accurate.  As others here have said, it's all based on the gamer, so I guess I fit perfectly in what the dozens of .org guide writers and voters believe a games difficulty to be. *shurg*

I have not played this game, however, so i can't comment on it's difficulty, but I have definitely seen my share of games where 'Hard' wasn't hard at all, and others where even Easy was a pain in the ass.  This was ALWAYS reflected in the guide.  Also, some people claim they follow guides, but in reality they don't.  When I get ready to start a new game I usually read the entire guide and roadmap.  Every tip, every trophy description, everything.  This way I can usually plan ahead and be prepared for harder parts of the game and know how to get by them because the guide told me how.  There's almost always an easy way to get past hard bosses or just hard sections of games, and the individual trophies will usually explain that when the roadmap itself won't.

On that note, always read the roadmap.  Simply looking at the guide header and going on your way won't help you.  Some might complain about potential spoilers, but if that's the case, why are you looking at a guide in the first place?

The only time I've found .org guide difficulties to need adjustment is when something changes.  This can be a case where the game is made easier through unpatched bugs or exploits that weren't known at the time the guide was written, or it could be the opposite, and a dev patch made the game harder (see GT5 when they extended the finish line on road tracks and didn't offer more time to complete the race :/).  As Dr. Mayus noted, some guides state 2 difficulties, one when following a guide, and one when you don't.  Personally, I always view the guide difficulty rating as playing it with a guide, because again, if you're not, why are you reading the guide in the first place?  If you approach a game that would be a 10/10 without a guide, see a guide showing its a 4/10 and then run off to play it on your own, it should be expected that shit might happen.  The guide rating can't really be held accountable if you don't follow the guide and only look at the rating, right?  Of course if the game is full of bugs, that is another problem altogether.

As for this game, I've looked over the trophy guide and there's a lot of tips on how to handle different enemies and scenarios.  It's actually very clear on what might give you problems.  As I haven't played the game, I won't speculate on whether the difficulty is accurate, but as usual for a .org trophy guide, it gives a lot of clear cut info.  I look forward to someday playing this, maybe when it's in a free bin somewhere, lol.

• Like 4

As for this game, I've looked over the trophy guide and there's a lot of tips on how to handle different enemies and scenarios. It's actually very clear on what might give you problems. As I haven't played the game, I won't speculate on whether the difficulty is accurate, but as usual for a .org trophy guide, it gives a lot of clear cut info. I look forward to someday playing this, maybe when it's in a free bin somewhere, lol.

i tried using a guide and it did not help at all. Edited by DeadlyHawk78

Yeah, I thought it was going to be easy too but ended up dying alot.
That the bad thing is think it was like one the chapter ended up glitching on me and didn't get a trophy so I had to do the entire chapter over again.
But it has been a while for that so not sure if I really remember much of it anymore

1.When I get ready to start a new game I usually read the entire guide and roadmap.  Every tip, every trophy description, everything.

2.Some might complain about potential spoilers, but if that's the case, why are you looking at a guide in the first place?

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way Matto, it's entirely your business how you game, and I respect that, but I can't recommend it either.  

1. I don't recommend anyone to do this.  I've rarely read a guide on a first play-through.  Rarely, because there are exceptions whereby the nature of the game is more or less spoil immune.   A game loses something when you know what's coming, or where everything is, or what every hidden trophy hides etc...,doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, but it's almost certainly diminishes the 'wow'.   To me gaming like that would make me feel as if I were more concerned with trophies, manufacturing my profile and purring over my stats, which albeit some do, but, and again imo, it defeats the point of gaming which is to have fun, to be taken on an adventure and wowed (in theory lol) by the team behind the game.   I don't look at the end of, or story arcs etc..., movies or TV shows before I've watched them, I don't read the last page of a book before I start...   It's everyone's own choice, and I do genuinely respect that, but I think to game like that is to miss a little something in games is all.

2. Really just an elaboration of 1.  A guide is best used on further play-through's to mop up, whether that be collectibles, secrets, whatever trophy requirement or goal you have within a game.   That's why, or when, I'd be using a guide, almost certainly not on a maiden run.  I imagine I'm not alone here, otherwise I've completely lost touch!  Lol

As I said, no disrespect intended, genuinely, sometimes it's just better to game and forget trophies exist for a while, enjoy the game first, enjoy the trophies later, way I see it!  :)

• Like 2

Two things all trophy hunters should have is time and patience. Time to put the hours into a game and the patience to play through the annoying, irritating parts. You look like you are kinda new to trophy hunting so don't sweat it (going by the trophies you have). Complete some other games then go back and rent this game again. I'm sure after a large enough of time and your well earned trophy hunting experience, you'll knock it out.

We have all come across that stubborn game, some earlier than others. It definitely won't be your last. 

Your comment was deleted because of the one right above it, which was..

Edit: I've now had to remove 3 such posts. If any more are posted that break that rule then I'll be handing out warning points.

what are u talking about? I didn't break shit

Im surprised it was this hard. I remember giving it a break at one point cause I got mad. Came back to it and got the plat and then did it on my mate's account and got the plat in 4 and a half hours with an hour maccas break :)

so "uhh...." is spam? wtf that makes no sense.

The reason it's considered spam, if I understand the reasoning correctly, is because 1-2 word responses pretty much never actually contribute to the discussion, especially when those 1-2 word responses don't actually say anything at all.

Edited by BooneIronshield