Rumor: Call of Duty 2017 set in Vietnam

DF007gamer

Call of Duty needs a break. The franchise is getting stale. Wait a year or 2 and start from scratch. There's no guarantee that using an old setting for the game will rejuvenate it. 

Except Battlefield 1 did exactly that without making any actual substantial changes to it's formula or making clever use of its setting and everyone ate that shit up like no tomorrow.

Yeah it not like Blops 1 and 2 isn't already in Vietnam...

Lol was about to say.

A Vietnam setting is about as original as a WWII setting.

True on that front but there aren't that many good explorations of the setting in the video game industry. 

Nice! Then again cod releases annually and unlike battlefield( not annual) they don't take their time or have enough time to innovate and by innovate I mean change animations for the least. The death animations was the same since I can remember for cod.

Glad they're taking a different approach though even though I'm not a really a fan of cod or even battlefield to say he least but it's nice to see that developers do lesson to some extent to the fans.

On a side note: if IW was a different IP and not cod, it wouldn't have received much hate because to me it's like titanfall without the name and people like titanfall. However they probably need the title since cod sells a lot of copies due it being a successful business from an economic standpoint.

Uhh...Battlefield is an annual release? it had a game last year. It's getting one this year and anyone who's actually played the Battlefield 1 beta and saw past the superficial change in setting; it plays just like any other Battlefield just reskinned. Multiplayer wise at least, single player might still save it but I have my reservations.

Also I honestly think Infinite Warfare is going to be great. Much more excited for that than I am Battlefield 1.

• Like 1

My thinking is they've seen what BF1 has done

What? Be bad? The complaints are starting in with the single player focusing on how brutal WW1 was, while the horrid multiplayer completely breaks the entire tone.

We cannot have any more FPS set in past wars. Do you even know why it stopped? It was because countries involved in those wars were starting to get angry. Germans, Russians, Middle Eastern countries, they were tired of being made into bad guys in every single game (and movies). It's why Ghosts villains were some made-up government. It's why all the new CoDs are set in the future, because there's no countries to get offended. You can try to bring up Korea for AW, but that was just the intro, with North Korea invading and then never being mentioned again. After that, it was just some made-up factions.

Besides, the USA lost Vietnam, so unless you'll be playing as Vietnamese soldiers fighting the USA, it will never happen. And we all know how upset most gamers get when an ending isn't focused on winning and being happy.

• Like 1

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare had Korea

I was talking about having a game set completely around the Korean War, not just a mission. Black Ops was the Vietnam War, classic COD and World at War were WWII, Modern Warfare was modern day Afghanistan/Iraq and modern global conflict. See the pattern? Call of Duty likes to focus on major military conflicts. Korea was one of them, yet they still haven't dedicated a game to it.

Korea was a critical conflict in the history of Southeast Asia, but is consistently ignored by media and historical analysis. Having one of the biggest franchises in gaming put a focus on it would finally get the Korean War the attention it deserves.

Except Battlefield 1 did exactly that without making any actual substantial changes to it's formula or making clever use of its setting and everyone ate that shit up like no tomorrow.

Uhh...Battlefield is an annual release? it had a game last year. It's getting one this year and anyone who's actually played the Battlefield 1 beta and saw past the superficial change in setting; it plays just like any other Battlefield just reskinned. Multiplayer wise at least, single player might still save it but I have my reservations.Also I honestly think Infinite Warfare is going to be great. Much more excited for that than I am Battlefield 1.

Yeah some other guy listed all of the releases earlier and showed they have annual releases with occasional breaks for expansions. I know I was wrong about that. Ignore my post.

Also regardless, I'm not going to buy either since I think I grew tired of the fps genre in general and over the years became gravitated more towards 3rd person games that hold a good story whether it was linear or open world.

It's just nice to observe though what both sides are doing to win over consumers though.

Anyways, have fun playing IW bro. You play what you like and ignore others who dislike a game you like. Those guys state their opinions with hostility thinking there is one correct answer.

Cheers

What? Be bad? The complaints are starting in with the single player focusing on how brutal WW1 was, while the horrid multiplayer completely breaks the entire tone.

We cannot have any more FPS set in past wars. Do you even know why it stopped? It was because countries involved in those wars were starting to get angry. Germans, Russians, Middle Eastern countries, they were tired of being made into bad guys in every single game (and movies). It's why Ghosts villains were some made-up government. It's why all the new CoDs are set in the future, because there's no countries to get offended. You can try to bring up Korea for AW, but that was just the intro, with North Korea invading and then never being mentioned again. After that, it was just some made-up factions.

Besides, the USA lost Vietnam, so unless you'll be playing as Vietnamese soldiers fighting the USA, it will never happen. And we all know how upset most gamers get when an ending isn't focused on winning and being happy.

This is pretty ridiculous and reaching. Some sources would be nice.

The reason we can't have any games set in the past is because to make full use of said setting and to create a semi-authentic experience you'll have to alienate a pretty big % of your consumer base. It's why WW1 games will always be half assed like Battlefield 1 is unless they're a smaller title unattached to a big IP.

There was also a rumor, when Battlefield 1 was announced, that Sledgehammer would be making a Civil War CoD. It's all just rumors.

Does anyone honestly trust the writers behind CoD to make a civil war story?

Leave that to Assassin's Creed.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD
  • Like 1

I'm just waiting for Call of Duty to get to the Civil War or Revolutionary War era, so that way you have to spend five minutes reloading your gun after every shot while standing in line. Then it will come with the Drummer DLC where you have to do a rhythm minigame where each correct note boosts the morale of the troops, but failing makes them lose it and makes them more likely to screw up. Then in multiplayer one player has to clean out the cannon after every shot. It will truly be breaking ground as a more realistic war experience.

• Like 3

It wasn't the sole back drop for those games, though. Maybe this one will be set firmly in the period and not just a stepping stone or flashback.

In Black Ops Vietnam was the central conflict. If you remember correctly the game was set between 1967-1975. There were quite a lot of combat scenarios in Vietnam INTERSPERSED with missions set in other countries.

• 2 weeks later...

There was also a rumor, when Battlefield 1 was announced, that Sledgehammer would be making a Civil War CoD. It's all just rumors.

I've been waiting for a solid Civil War FPS (or even Revolutionary War) but to make it realistic would almost be a game killer in this day and age of twitchy shooters. It would have to be in the more tactical realm, like the Sniper games, where patience really pays off. The 360 had a couple semi-decent Civil War games that were fun, and played a lot like COD 2, but ultimately were forgettable. It is amazing we have a full fledged WWI game right now to be honest.

I'd like to see more Pacific Theater WWII, like Guam/Saipan/Midway/etc (I loved Battlefield 1943, and I don't feel that segment of the war has been very much focused on in the FPS realm). I don't believe the Aleutian Islands campaign has been a focus in any game - it would be interesting to have a map on Attu Island. 

Edited by DOAsaturn

I've been waiting for a solid Civil War FPS (or even Revolutionary War) but to make it realistic would almost be a game killer in this day and age of twitchy shooters. It would have to be in the more tactical realm, like the Sniper games, where patience really pays off. The 360 had a couple semi-decent Civil War games that were fun, and played a lot like COD 2, but ultimately were forgettable. It is amazing we have a full fledged WWI game right now to be honest.

Don't forget Battlefield 1 dropped a lot of realism with the addition of a whole bunch of automatic weapons. And that's not even mentioning the fact that the French aren't included in the game. Yeah it's a WWI FPS, but it drops the ball in quite a few places just to cater to the market.

Don't forget Battlefield 1 dropped a lot of realism with the addition of a whole bunch of automatic weapons. And that's not even mentioning the fact that the French aren't included in the game. Yeah it's a WWI FPS, but it drops the ball in quite a few places just to cater to the market.

Yeah, as much as I'm enjoying the game, I do agree. I worry that a Civil War game would probably need some futuristic/Wolfenstein-esque elements to somehow get away in today's market unfortunately. At least with WWI they can massage the suspension of disbelief a little more than if they made the same decisions with games set in the 18th and 19th centuries. 

Vietnam isn't enough. I want to fight Germans who shout "erschiesst iem" and throw Stielhandgranate at you. I want to shoot my M1 garand again and here that wonderfull 'pling" sound again when i need to reload. And i want my enemies to were those Stahlhelms. Dam those were the days.....