Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Still no news on Sports Story. But Persona 3 - 5 and Nier Automata on Switch is good news! 

I think I'll be fine just purchasing Live A Live without trying out the demo first - I trust my instincts that I'll like the game. Nothing else particularly caught my interest in the Direct. Which is good considering I'm still trying to knock titles off my backlog. 

I finished Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on Switch a couple of weeks ago. It was my first introduction to the series - somehow it had flown under my radar until now. Enjoyed the game quite a bit. It had great art style, expressive animation, good music, genuinely funny humor and fun metroidvania gameplay. I was very positively surprised by its quality. It offered a right amount of challenge and only the last stretch before the final boss had some annoyingly difficult platforming (might just be me being senile) with not frequent enough save points. 

I also finished Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux on 3DS. It mixes Etrian Odyssey type dungeon crawling (with full automapping) with SMT universe. I had fun fusing demons but the system for learning and inheriting skills was a bit strange and a bit too laborious process at times. I was quite bad at negotiating with the demons too. The game's art style was rather nice but music was somewhat bland throughout the dungeons and I don't recall there being very many different tracks. The more important boss fights had pretty great music tracks luckily and the battle system was pretty enjoyable. 

The level design.. eh.. oh boy... It seems like they were having a competition on who can come up with the most aggravating layouts and gimmicks in the dungeons. 
Invisible trapdoors where you fall down a floor - check. Invisible warp tiles that transport you elsewhere on the map - check. Poison floor tiles - check. Sleep inducing floor tiles - check. Invisible doors that you need to click on to find them - check. Elevators that go to floor 1, 3 and 4 but not all the other floors - check. Yeah, sure Etrian games have some of these gimmicks too but at least they've had some sense in how to place these things and make things still fun for players and you can usually spot a visual difference where a hidden door is. 
It took me a whole day to navigate through SMT: Strange Journey's last dungeon and I needed a guide because I had missed an invisible corridor that was behind a wall and was wandering around the dungeon's 9 floors aimlessly, not knowing how to proceed. It wasn't even the only time I needed a guide. 
The worst offender was dark areas where you couldn't see anything and no map was forming. I was so happy when I finally got an app to my Demonica suit that allowed me to see in the dark and map the areas. Then I moved to the next dungeon only to find out the app didn't work there and I was doomed to fumble around blindly in the dark again. I mean what the hell?? What kind of sadist designed the levels? 

I finished the main story in 66 hours on normal difficulty and apparently I got the original chaos ending. Getting the other 5 endings doesn't sound too enticing after the horror that was the level design...

• Like 3

Just watched the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 direct. Was impressed, it looks awesome. I've never played any Xeno games, so I'm not familiar with the staples of this franchise, I only know a few things. Also, sometimes I just like watching presentations to keep up with the industry ?.

Anyway, I like the premise, I think it's pretty strong. People with 10-year life spans that are spent fighting in wars and working in colonies. Reminds me of replicants from Blade Runner. I'm sure the story will have something to say about the purpose of life, and themes like that. 

I like the designs of everything. The mechs look cool, the character designs are nice. I also liked how well cutscenes are directed. Very cinematic. 

From the graphics standpoint, it's impressive as well. It looks great for a Switch game. From what I've seen, Xenoblade games were always good at using the hardware to the max. XC was probably one of the best looking games on Wii, same with XCX on WiiU, and they're keeping the tradition.

And finally, the gameplay looked cool. I like the systems they're using for combat, the fusion mechanic is interesting. Also the animations are nice. The world looks fun to explore too. Overall, just great.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

Pac-Man World remake, let's gooo.

Might actually pick it up since I've always heard good things about the original, although it would've been nice to see the sequels get remakes too.

Perhaps they will in the future if this remake does well enough. Either way I'm pretty excited for this one.

New Sunbreak trailer was great too, even though I was already aware of its contents thanks to leaks. :P That said, Shagaru looks absolutely breathtaking in HD.

Persona 5 finally coming to Switch in some capacity after all this time had me laughing my ass off, but it's great for people that've waited so long for this day to happen.

Nothing else particularly caught my interest, but more or less everything still seemed good for the Switch's community as a whole.

Disappointed we didn't see anything for Bayonetta 3, but perhaps they're holding off on that for a bigger presentation? Time will tell, I suppose.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

Alright, finally a Mega Man Battle Network Collection!! Loved playing the first game when I was young and I loved the anime too. Can't wait to play the other games too!

Live A Live looks great and the gameplay looks fun. I'll def pick it up when I catch up with my Switch backlog. 

I was expecting Ace Combat/Tekken/SoulCalibur remasters from Bandai Namco but the Pac-Man World Remake actually looks really good that I also might pick it up.

As for Sega, I wish they'd release a demo for Sonic Frontiers since I'm still not sold on the game. It's great that Persona 3, 4, and 5 are finally releasing on Switch though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I finished Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on Switch a couple of weeks ago. It was my first introduction to the series - somehow it had flown under my radar until now. Enjoyed the game quite a bit. It had great art style, expressive animation, good music, genuinely funny humor and fun metroidvania gameplay. I was very positively surprised by its quality. It offered a right amount of challenge and only the last stretch before the final boss had some annoyingly difficult platforming (might just be me being senile) with not frequent enough save points. 

I also finished Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux on 3DS. It mixes Etrian Odyssey type dungeon crawling (with full automapping) with SMT universe. I had fun fusing demons but the system for learning and inheriting skills was a bit strange and a bit too laborious process at times. I was quite bad at negotiating with the demons too. The game's art style was rather nice but music was somewhat bland throughout the dungeons and I don't recall there being very many different tracks. The more important boss fights had pretty great music tracks luckily and the battle system was pretty enjoyable. 

The level design.. eh.. oh boy... It seems like they were having a competition on who can come up with the most aggravating layouts and gimmicks in the dungeons. 
Invisible trapdoors where you fall down a floor - check. Invisible warp tiles that transport you elsewhere on the map - check. Poison floor tiles - check. Sleep inducing floor tiles - check. Invisible doors that you need to click on to find them - check. Elevators that go to floor 1, 3 and 4 but not all the other floors - check. Yeah, sure Etrian games have some of these gimmicks too but at least they've had some sense in how to place these things and make things still fun for players and you can usually spot a visual difference where a hidden door is. 
It took me a whole day to navigate through SMT: Strange Journey's last dungeon and I needed a guide because I had missed an invisible corridor that was behind a wall and was wandering around the dungeon's 9 floors aimlessly, not knowing how to proceed. It wasn't even the only time I needed a guide. 
The worst offender was dark areas where you couldn't see anything and no map was forming. I was so happy when I finally got an app to my Demonica suit that allowed me to see in the dark and map the areas. Then I moved to the next dungeon only to find out the app didn't work there and I was doomed to fumble around blindly in the dark again. I mean what the hell?? What kind of sadist designed the levels? 

I finished the main story in 66 hours on normal difficulty and apparently I got the original chaos ending. Getting the other 5 endings doesn't sound too enticing after the horror that was the level design...

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was my first Shantae game too and I enjoyed it a lot. The rest of the games are just as fun too. 

Glad you enjoyed Strange Journey, it's my favorite SMT game not counting Persona 4. The sci-fi setting was fresh and I found myself immersed in the adventure (the cast were also great). The gameplay is the best part since the demon fusion and boss fights were fun.

Yeah, the level design is the worst part of the game with atrocious trap placements that made backtracking a nightmare. I heavily despised the pitfalls that drop you down a floor and tiles that push you away. The amount of times that I had to use a guide was embarrasing at times lol. I remember beating it at around 55-60 hours and I got the Neutral ending, which was neat.

Also, the cover of the original DS game with the Demonica is one of the coolest in gaming. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slava said:

Just watched the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 direct. Was impressed, it looks awesome. I've never played any Xeno games, so I'm not familiar with the staples of this franchise, I only know a few things. Also, sometimes I just like watching presentations to keep up with the industry 1f601.png.

Anyway, I like the premise, I think it's pretty strong. People with 10-year life spans that are spent fighting in wars and working in colonies. Reminds me of replicants from Blade Runner. I'm sure the story will have something to say about the purpose of life, and themes like that. 

I like the designs of everything. The mechs look cool, the character designs are nice. I also liked how well cutscenes are directed. Very cinematic. 

From the graphics standpoint, it's impressive as well. It looks great for a Switch game. From what I've seen, Xenoblade games were always good at using the hardware to the max. XC was probably one of the best looking games on Wii, same with XCX on WiiU, and they're keeping the tradition.

And finally, the gameplay looked cool. I like the systems they're using for combat, the fusion mechanic is interesting. Also the animations are nice. The world looks fun to explore too. Overall, just great.

I'd definitely recommend giving them all a play at some point. The first two are pretty different and both have their own specialties that make them great. Played them both this year and has become one of not, my favorite Nintendo franchise 

• Like 2

I have recently been playing through Xenoblade Chronicles and hoping to get through 2 and Torna before 3 comes out but that isn't going to be happening soon ? I have the habit of doing the side quests and explore around alot, games feel there's no end to their content so I have been prioritizing the story more now!

I don't think I'm going to get XC3 on release and getting Digimon Survive instead ? been looking forward for this game for such a long time!

The Nintendo Direct was amazing, definitely getting Harvestella, Doraemon SoS FotGK, Disney Dreamlight Valley, and P3&P4! Hoping all these get a physical release at some point, my switch game collection has been growing alot these days.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Shin-chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation is apparently getting a western release in August. Too bad my summer vacation will probably be over by the time it releases. This looks like such a charming game in the vein of Attack of the Friday Monsters. I'm a sucker for that environment art and atmosphere. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/shin-chan-me-and-the-professor-on-summer-vacation-confirmed-for-western-switch-release

• Like 1

So... one of my Discord friends has been trying their hardest to convince me to get and play the Live A Live HD-2D remake for Switch.

At the Nintendo Direct Mini it was announced that it was getting a Demo. Which is always good and helps me decide one way or another.

So I tried it out and played it last night. To be completely honest... I really liked it. A LOT. I am actually honestly shocked at how much I ended up liking it. I was beginning to think that it was the retro-ish style that made me not like Octopath Traveler as much as everyone else seems to have. But clearly that wasn't it.

Even though I didn't know what I was doing or what abilities/moves to use... it didn't seem to matter. I just did whatever and used whatever and still ended up winning. I really liked the Ninja part and running around on top of buildings and stuff. I'm bad at stealth like stuff though without a guide so I ended up killing most people in my way outside of anyone that begged for their life or women. The only problem was that I lost like 3 times. So clearly I do need a guide for this game. But it'll be fine because one will be available by the time I actually get around to playing it.

The best part was definitely the future part with the robot. I loved that little robot so much and it needs so many hugs from all the unnecessary abuse it was taking and all the kicks it took. I just want to hug it. ? I'm sure everyone is going to take this the wrong way... but it gave me Among Us vibes (space and all that) and especially with the way that ended. I mean I'm surprised the game didn't just go like 'THERE'S AN IMPOSTER AMONGST US' *Queue Among Us Round Start Sound* ? I also really liked how this part didn't really have any battling and just sort of... allowed you to explore. If there's one thing that I like to do... it's explore.

Honestly I can't really describe or explain why... but I just really loved this demo. So another recommendation has worked out and I'm sold for sure now. This is why demos are good for stuff like this and why it should be used a lot more often.

Please try the demo for yourself. You might not regret it like I did. I'm not saying everyone will like it (because obviously not everyone is going to like everything) but I am saying you should at least give it a try for yourself before just assuming that it's 'not for you' or whatever.

So another game for me to look forward to that will hopefully be better than Octopath Traveler

• Like 2

Did anyone else get a preorder in for the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Special Edition? I wasn’t even planning on trying due to how much of a disaster Nintendo’s previous attempt was, but I ended up checking the site earlier anyway. I’m glad I did because that’s pretty much my most anticipated game of the year and I wanted that Special Edition so bad. That and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

Edited by whodeygamer
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, whodeygamer said:

Did anyone else get a preorder in for the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Special Edition? I wasn’t even planning on trying due to how much of a disaster Nintendo’s previous attempt was, but I ended up checking the site earlier anyway. I’m glad I did because that’s pretty much my most anticipated game of the year and I wanted that Special Edition so bad. That and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

nah. i just looked. While its only 120CDN, they send the game for release and ship the box, steelbook, and artbook in the fall.... only Nintendo could be such fuckin idiots

• Like 2

On 28/06/2022 at 7:12 PM, Angel said:

I have recently been playing through Xenoblade Chronicles and hoping to get through 2 and Torna before 3 comes out but that isn't going to be happening soon 1f605.png I have the habit of doing the side quests and explore around alot, games feel there's no end to their content so I have been prioritizing the story more now!

I don't think I'm going to get XC3 on release and getting Digimon Survive instead 1f60a.png been looking forward for this game for such a long time!

The Nintendo Direct was amazing, definitely getting Harvestella, Doraemon SoS FotGK, Disney Dreamlight Valley, and P3&P4! Hoping all these get a physical release at some point, my switch game collection has been growing alot these days.

Thanks for reminding me, i have a sealed Torna and forgot i had ordered a new Torna copy sealed as well from a country game shop, due to ship mid july. I'll still probably not open it unless i get a 3rd. They rare af

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yeah, it's the PSP version 

Thankyou, that's a pity and the same as the xbox release I guess.  So I'm hearing allot of rumors re Metroid Prime and Zelda Twighlight Princess def editions, Just rumors. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The OP hasn't visited the site since 2019 an the polls we have are pretty old... Would you guys like me to update the polls to something more modern and up to date? What would you like you like me to add to the polls?

A response from any of the normal followers/posters would be great!

All that comes to mind right now is something like "what is your most anticipated game on Switch". I'm sure others have more creative ideas for the polls. 

And I apologize for non-Switch spam again: 

Life here for the Yoshi clan is nothing but peaceful and leisurely.

I started playing Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World on Nintendo 3DS a couple of days ago. Such a cute and colorful game with fantastic music. I’m taking it easy with the Mellow mode as I’m not that great at platformers. This is the perfect game to chill out with and get ready for my summer vacation. Today was my last day at work and starting on Monday I have 5 weeks reserved mostly just for lazying around and gaming!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The OP hasn't visited the site since 2019 an the polls we have are pretty old... Would you guys like me to update the polls to something more modern and up to date? What would you like you like me to add to the polls?

A response from any of the normal followers/posters would be great!

Yeah, that would be great. 

A poll like "What's your favorite Switch game?" or "Pick one of these games for new Switch owners" would be cool.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

All that comes to mind right now is something like "what is your most anticipated game on Switch". I'm sure others have more creative ideas for the polls. 

And I apologize for non-Switch spam again: 

Life here for the Yoshi clan is nothing but peaceful and leisurely.

I started playing Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World on Nintendo 3DS a couple of days ago. Such a cute and colorful game with fantastic music. I’m taking it easy with the Mellow mode as I’m not that great at platformers. This is the perfect game to chill out with and get ready for my summer vacation. Today was my last day at work and starting on Monday I have 5 weeks reserved mostly just for lazying around and gaming!

3 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Yeah, that would be great. 

A poll like "What's your favorite Switch game?" or "Pick one of these games for new Switch owners" would be cool.

I'm all for this. I thought maybe "favorite Nintendo franchise on switch" too, but may feel a bit redundant. If anyone wants to list off recommendations or anticipated games, I can start internally making a list. Just note that I would only like games YOU have played and would vote for. Maybe a top 3-5?

I'm thinking we could just redo the polls yearly to add in new games until the switch becomes obsolete.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

For the updated poll:

Favorite Nintendo exclusive on Switch?

Splatoon 2/3

Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3

Mario Odyssey

Metroid Dread

Fire Emblem 3 Houses

Legend of Zelda: Botw

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Pokemon: Legend Arceus 

Luigi's Mansion 3

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 

Mario Kart 8

Kirby: Forgotten land 

How many hours do you have in your most played game?

*Expand the current choices*

Which of these will you pre-order/purchase(d) day 1?

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Advanced Wars 1+2 Reboot

Bayonetta 3

Legend of Zelda: Botw 2

Splatoon 3

Metroid Prime 4

Mario+Rabbids 2

What Nintendo feature would you like to see come to NSO the most?

Customizable themes/wallpapers 

GB/GBA emulator

Game Cube emulator

Wii/Wii U emulator 

Extra store discounts on games

Monthly free eShop games 

More N64/NES/SNES/Genesis games

Thoughts on the above? Any additions? I miss anything? I'll likely update it next weekend so please let me know before then because I'm not going to change it for a while (it deletes ALL votes each time I edit it).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

For the updated poll:

Favorite Nintendo exclusive on Switch?

Splatoon 2/3

Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3

Mario Odyssey

Metroid Dread

Fire Emblem 3 Houses

Legend of Zelda: Botw

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Pokemon: Legend Arceus 

Luigi's Mansion 3

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 

Mario Kart 8

Octopath Traveler 

Kirby: Forgotten land 

How many hours do you have in your most played game?

*Expand the current choices*

Which of these will you pre-order/purchase(d) day 1?

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Advanced Wars 1+2 Reboot

Bayonetta 3

Legend of Zelda: Botw 2

Splatoon 3

Metroid Prime 4

Mario+Rabbids 2

What Nintendo feature would you like to see come to NSO the most?

Customizable themes/wallpapers 

GB/GBA emulator

Game Cube emulator

Wii/Wii U emulator 

Extra store discounts on games

Monthly free eShop games 

More N64/NES/SNES/Genesis games

Thoughts on the above? Any additions? I miss anything? I'll likely update it next weekend so please let me know before then because I'm not going to change it for a while (it deletes ALL votes each time I edit it).

Looks good! But Octopath Traveler is not Switch exclusive anymore, it's available on PC and Xbox too (it's even included in Game Pass subscription). The favorite exclusive poll could also have the option "Other" maybe? 

And your features list reminded me I'd really like themes for Switch. I love those on 3DS. :wub:

8 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Looks good! But Octopath Traveler is not Switch exclusive anymore, it's available on PC and Xbox too (it's even included in Game Pass subscription). The favorite exclusive poll could also have the option "Other" maybe? 

And your features list reminded me I'd really like themes for Switch. I love those on 3DS. :wub:

Yeah, actually wasn't sure about that one. Noted, thank you! 

I also kind of want to add a question for hidden gems (like Baba is You, A Golf Story, Neon White, Ape Out, etc.), But defining "hidden gems" might be difficult.

• Like 1