Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Anyway it's starting to look like my post about the Pokemon SV leak was accurate/true/it's already happening. I only care about the Pokemon. Nothing so far except for the steel terastal hat.

But if your that curious/want it badly enough... (about the new Pokemon I mean) contact me directly either on here or on Discord. I won't be posting them in this thread itself because I don't want to get in trouble with the mods obviously.

Looks like I missed out on some big drama last month lol. 

I went on vacation recently to NYC and got to visit the Nintendo Store there which was really nice. It was crowded with people picking up Splatoon 3 & Pokemon cards and I took my time exploring the place. The main floor had the games and Mario merch (statues of Mario chatacters too) while the first had the Zelda/Kirby/Pokemon stuff-- there was even a cool Amiibo showcase featuring all amiibo collections which was nice to look at.

I ended up getting two T-shirts (Zelda and Nintendo NYC) and a copy of Hyrule Hystoria (always wanted to get my hands on it). Overall, it was a fun time revisiting the place after like 10 years.

I've also picked up physical copies of Live A Live and Shin Megami Tensei V (for some reason, both were at insanely low stocks). Right now I'm playing SMT IV: Apocalypse on 3DS and going to pick up Bayo 3 soon.

• Like 2

Finally beat Xenoblade Chronicles 3 last week and decided to do some post game stuff. Recently,  I've been fighting the strongest unique monsters in the game.

Already beat the level 105 Dragon and the Kings-Kings who are on level 102. Beat both at level 94 and 95 respectively. Hoping to continue beating the rest of the strongest unique monsters before Pokémon. 

Possible spoilers ahead, but these are the compositions I used 

Level 105 Dragon 

3 Royal Summoners, 2 Life Sages, 1 Lost Vanguard, 1 Troubadour (Hero).

Royal Summoners are really powerful and hands down the biggest damage dealing class in the game. Their weakness is that they have low health though and are essentially a glass cannon. They also draw a lot of aggro too so they can die a lot if the fight drags out.

Life Sages are the ultimate healers that struggle with health as well; however, they have the same weaknesses as any other healer, but with better attacking stats for the most part. Kind of a no brainer.

The Lost Vanguard has the highest base health Stat so it was the perfect meat shield to anchor the team.

Lastly, the troubadour class was pretty much used to stick next to the Lost Vanguard to hasten his attacks. This was to keep the aggro on him as much as possible. 

When aggro got pulled away, I interlinked my peeps to conserve health and dish damage. This really saved my ass a lot with only 1 defender.

Level 102 Kings

2 Lost Vanguards, 2 Royal Summoners (Hero), 1 Zephyr, 2 Life Sages.

This was probably the weirdest composition I've done since 6 tactician in Chapter 2 (lmao). The problem with this fight was that there were multiple enemies and enemies were summoned during the fight.

Therefore,  I added 2 defenders to constantly divert attention away and allow my Royal Summoners to attack and be safe. The tough part about the fight was that interlinking was unavailable due to fog so I couldn't transform to preserve my health.

Now, the question here is "Why a Zephyr over using a Lost Vanguard?" There's a few reasons. First, Zephyr's may have less health and worst blocking. However,  they attack faster and attacks recharge faster. Therefore,  it allowed me to use them as a safety net in case aggro was drawn away. Furthermore, they have high evasion which allowed me to use them as an alternate reviver if everyone else went down. This didn't happen, but I  can definitely say it was a good choice to control who got aggroed and when. Obviously,  this was the person I controlled :P

So yeah, I make it sound like 2 of the classes are kind of broken... because they are (and are the final 2 classes unlocked)!

I think Troubadour and Signifier are both amazing support classes and have niche spots in compilations,  but Life Sage outclasses most other healers if you mastered others to get their abilities. Not saying to don't use other classes,  but if you mastered a lot skills and arts, it definitely feels the best.

On top of that, I'm convinced that the Soul Hacker class is just as OP as Royal Summoners and Martial Artists can work well for chain attack or interlink build-up. Outside of that, you'd really only use other classes if you want to base a character around a particular debuff and dealing more damage that way. It's definitely viable, but would require the right abilities, upgraded gems, and secondary arts... which take a lot of time to farm.

Anyways,  if anyone is struggling through the game, give me a shout... I  can point you to some good team comps and builds.

• Like 2

You know all this Bayonetta 'stuff' made me actually look into the games and franchise to see if it's something I might be interested in possibly looking into buying and playing. Funny how things turn isn't it? lol

Unfortunately the first game is listed as 'Tough' on GameFAQs so that was an immediate turn-off for me (I don't like anything that's extremely hard) and the games/franchise does seem a bit to 'fanservicy' for my taste.

But I'm just saying. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

You know all this Bayonetta 'stuff' made me actually look into the games and franchise to see if it's something I might be interested in possibly looking into buying and playing. Funny how things turn isn't it? lol

Unfortunately the first game is listed as 'Tough' on GameFAQs so that was an immediate turn-off for me (I don't like anything that's extremely hard) and the games/franchise does seem a bit to 'fanservicy' for my taste.

But I'm just saying. 1f602.png

The games have difficulty options. You might not 100% the game, but you can very much get through the campaigns of each.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

The games have difficulty options. You might not 100% the game, but you can very much get through the campaigns of each.

Yeah if it helps, I don't play "tough" games either. I have tried a few of the Devil May Cry games and found them too difficult. After trying an hour or two of Bloodborne, I avoid any games that are known for being "Souls like" because I don't find that gameplay fun. But I finished the story in Bayonetta 1 and started Bayonetta 2. I don't think they're that hard. Hard to 100% probably, but not just to finish the story. There are ways you can make them easier also, like an item that automatically dodges IIRC. The combat is very satisfying, even if you are only occasionally decent at it like me.

I'll get to Bayo 3... eventually.

• Like 1

20221104-154749.jpg

I don't post for my Switch collection often (it's mainly VNs & casual games), but I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the Scarlet & Violet OLED Switch! Plus, picked up my pre-order of Harvestella. I'm treating myself this weekend with a beautiful game on an equally beautiful console. Can't wait to pick up the Scarlet & Violet games in a couple weeks. I'll have this thing decked out with carrying case & screen protector by then. 

Edited by Gretchen27
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gretchen27 said:

20221104-154749.jpg

I don't post for my Switch collection often (it's mainly VNs & casual games), but I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the Scarlet & Violet OLED Switch! Plus, picked up my pre-order of Harvestella. I'm treating myself this weekend with a beautiful game on an equally beautiful console. Can't wait to pick up the Scarlet & Violet games in a couple weeks. I'll have this thing decked out with carrying case & screen protector by then. 

This looks beautiful!!!

• Like 1

PSA: Pokemon SV is starting to leak. Someone in Mexico got the game, posted themselves with it with the box (so it's real) and started posting images from the game. They've already been taken out but once it starts it doesn't stop. Nintendo, GameFreak and TPC can try to stop it all they want (hypocritical tbh when they didn't give a f before and now they are? Makes no god damn sense honestly) but once it happens it doesn't stop.

So far this is what has been put out so far (no worries I won't share images. If you want them... well... I can get them to you pretty easily as I'm on... certain... Discords that have them but I won't post them here to avoid..... 'issues')

Spoiler

Smoliv evo

Fuecoco stage 2 (only blurry images so far)

spider poke

flamingo poke

parrot poke

So TL;DR... get off social media now if you wish to avoid spoilers. Or just don't care like I do. Except for story stuff. But that's unavoidable too honestly.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

My girlfriend lent me Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing for my birthday (which was a fair bit ago now) and I finally got to starting the latter. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy AC all that much given that it's not my usual fare, but it's pretty much singlehandedly tripled my Switch time. I'm even considering getting one of those collections of knock off Amiibo cards on Amazon or somesuch.

Also, Breath of the Wild is gorgeous. I have no idea how they got this game running at 60 fps on the Switch; I suppose it helps that it was originally a Wii U game, but either way it's a very pretty game. I'm also appreciating how interactive the open world is compared to other games - simple things like being able to roll boulders into enemy camps makes the environment feel like an actual part of the game as opposed to just a decoration to look at between rise and repeat activities.

• Like 2

I've owned a Nintendo Switch OLED for 11 months now and I barely have 5 hours of game time on it. As someone who mainly prefers to play multi-platform games on PlayStation, what exclusive games would you guys suggest to play on the Switch? I own BoW and Mario Kart 8. Played BoW on a trip, seemed decent enough. I have my eyes on the Xenoblade Chronicles series. They never seem to go on sale. ?

Edited by boorish_brute
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boorish_brute said:

I've owned a Nintendo Switch OLED for 11 months now and I barely have 5 hours of game time on it. As someone who mainly prefers to play multi-platform games on PlayStation, what exclusive games would you guys suggest to play on the Switch? I own BoW and Mario Kart 8. Played BoW on a trip, seemed decent enough. I have my eyes on the Xenoblade Chronicles series. They never seem to go on sale. 1f622.png

If you like open world RPGs, I would suggest the Xenoblade Chronicles series. All are fantastic games with really good stories and themes wrapped into them. I'd happily pay $60 and are all worth the price and them some as you'll probably pour hours into each one. I clocked in at 155 hours after beating the final superboss on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and spent 100 hours on the first two and wasn't even close to finishing everything. It's literally my favorite video game series as the stories are just so well made and the world is a truly stunning marvel. 

If you want an RPG that's more linear however, try Fire Emblem 3 Houses. A lot of people think they are just super tactical games, but I would argue they have much more RPG elements and resource management than tactical thinking and maneuvering.

I'd also say if you like Persona, give SMTV a try. One of the best RPGs on the Switch that doesn't get enough love imo. Allows you to really get creative and felt like a hard version of Pokémon, lol.

If you are wanting something more action-y Mario Odyssey or any of the Legend of Zelda games are great for that. Metroid Dread is also another great one. Monster Hunter Rise and Splatoon 3 are also fun action games, but I don't think they are worth full price if you don't have Nintendo Switch Online (NSO).

If you need something more chill, Animal Crossing is definitely a good time sink. Lots of customization and allows for a lot of creativity. 

Now, all of that sounds great, but Nintendo games hardly ever go on sale so really the best option there is probably SMTV (or Monster Hunter if you have NSO) or wait for Black Friday from the games listed above. However, if you are looking for something under $30, try Neon White. It's on PC too (not on PSN though), and it's an amazing action, first person shooter puzzler game which is probably the second best game I've played that was released this year so far (behind Xenoblade Chronicles 3). It's an underrated gem that unleashes your inner speed runner and is a game with a lot of replayability if you are into that sort of thing.

There's plenty of other games on my radar like Octopath Traveler (on PC too afaik), Kirby: Forgotten Kingdom, Bayonetta 3, Astral Chain, Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, and Harvestella. However,  I can't speak to any of them since I haven't played them.

If you have any particular questions on any of the games, let me know. I can go more in-depth.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, boorish_brute said:

I've owned a Nintendo Switch OLED for 11 months now and I barely have 5 hours of game time on it. As someone who mainly prefers to play multi-platform games on PlayStation, what exclusive games would you guys suggest to play on the Switch? I own BoW and Mario Kart 8. Played BoW on a trip, seemed decent enough. I have my eyes on the Xenoblade Chronicles series. They never seem to go on sale. 1f622.png

Yeah get used to that with Nintendo, they never have sales. And when they do they're usually horrible. For instance Breath of the Wild is part of their Black Friday sale, and it'll only be $20 off...nearly 6 years old and they're only taking $20 off of it. Even people on eBay are super stingy with game prices...they think because Nintendo is stubborn they can be too. If you're like me, and you're used to PlayStation having constant sales that generally get better with time, or finding games for decent prices elsewhere...it's rare to find it with Nintendo. I've been looking at Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition as well...but I can't find it under $40 (and I'm lucky if it's even that low), which just feels like too damn much for a remastered game. 

And don't feel bad, I don't have a ton of play time with my Switch either. I bought like 10 games, most exclusives, played like 4 of them and the game I put the most time into is a quirky wrestling game called Wrestling Empire. I've got Pokemon Scarlet coming at the end of the month, which I'm not entirely sure why I bought because I didn't even finish Sword...but maybe it'll change my mind.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'd also say if you like Persona,

Persona 5 is my all time favorite game, and I haven't even played the Royal Version. Although, I feel like I have played the perfect JRPG and anything else just feels like a lesser version of it?

13 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

If you like open world RPGs, I would suggest the Xenoblade Chronicles series.

Great, definitely getting these.

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

tactical games

Do want to try one of these RTS games. It's a bit overwhelming to get started with. Fire Emblem 3 Houses is easy to get into? Also, is it Fire Emblem 3: Houses or Fire Emblem, 3 Houses?

17 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Mario Odyssey

Platformers are not my jam. As much as I love Hollow Knight, I suck at it. I never played them as a kid and I do not have the mental training to make split second decisions to play them.

20 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Zelda games

Where to start? ? Think I'd like to play all of them, if possible.

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

Breath of the Wild

Got it for $26. Benefits of being terminally online and following Wario64 on Twitter. ?

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

$40

I'd take it for $40 tbh.

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Nintendo is stubborn

Upside is that they hold their value? If you buy physical that is. The Mario Kart 8 copy I bought is still worth like $30 at Gamestop in trade-in value. Got it for like $36 last year. Not bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boorish_brute said:

I'd recommend Gamefly for singleplayer games if you're the type to beat games in a month or two. Their prices are fairly affordable (around 22$ a month for two rentals at once, you return them when you're done and they ship you your next game), and they have pretty decent sales too, although as others have noted Nintendo games tend to be expensive, period.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, boorish_brute said:

Persona 5 is my all time favorite game, and I haven't even played the Royal Version. Although, I feel like I have played the perfect JRPG and anything else just feels like a lesser version of it?

Great, definitely getting these.

Do want to try one of these RTS games. It's a bit overwhelming to get started with. Fire Emblem 3 Houses is easy to get into? Also, is it Fire Emblem 3: Houses or Fire Emblem, 3 Houses?

Platformers are not my jam. As much as I love Hollow Knight, I suck at it. I never played them as a kid and I do not have the mental training to make split second decisions to play them.

Where to start? 1f622.png Think I'd like to play all of them, if possible.

Got it for $26. Benefits of being terminally online and following Wario64 on Twitter. 1f60e.png

I'd take it for $40 tbh.

Upside is that they hold their value? If you buy physical that is. The Mario Kart 8 copy I bought is still worth like $30 at Gamestop in trade-in value. Got it for like $36 last year. Not bad.

SMTV is like open world Persona and gives you a lot more flexibility with your team. The only unfortunate part is no social aspect, but it makes so much more sense not having it because this game has choices and your choices lead to a different ending. The core turned based gameplay will feel very familiar, but they are two different types of games. Personally, I liked SMTV much more than Persona 5.

In regard to Fire Emblem: 3 Houses, it's probably the easiest Fire Emblem game to jump into. The game holds your hand early on and let's go the second half of the game. It goes day by day with a big fight at the end of the month like Persona, so if you are familiar with that, should be super easy to jump into. You pick what you want to do each day (train stats, increase bonds, do side missions/fight) and there really aren't any wrong answers. I did a playthrough skipping all of the days and it definitely is tough and forces you to be underleveled for every single fight. I just wouldn't recommend trying it on the hardest mode. Lmao.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

My girlfriend lent me Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing for my birthday (which was a fair bit ago now) and I finally got to starting the latter. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy AC all that much given that it's not my usual fare, but it's pretty much singlehandedly tripled my Switch time. I'm even considering getting one of those collections of knock off Amiibo cards on Amazon or somesuch.

Also, Breath of the Wild is gorgeous. I have no idea how they got this game running at 60 fps on the Switch; I suppose it helps that it was originally a Wii U game, but either way it's a very pretty game. I'm also appreciating how interactive the open world is compared to other games - simple things like being able to roll boulders into enemy camps makes the environment feel like an actual part of the game as opposed to just a decoration to look at between rise and repeat activities.

Are you running it on cfw for the 60 fps patch? The switch version is only 30 fps normally

10 hours ago, boorish_brute said:

Got it for $26. Benefits of being terminally online and following Wario64 on Twitter. ?

I'd take it for $40 tbh.

I might need to follow this person, I just don't use Twitter like that. Because you got infinitely better prices than I did and you've had your Switch a little bit longer than me (I got mine in May). I paid $35 (after shipping and tax) for BotW and I thought I was getting a deal because it wasn't that low anywhere else. I paid $45 for Mario Kart 8 and again I thought I was getting a deal because nobody else was selling it that "low". 

As for Xenoblade. Again I just can't help but compare to PlayStation...I'd be able to get it for $20 if it was on PlayStation. $40 would be what I'd pay for the third game by now. So it's hard for me to look at Xenoblade 1 at $40 and not feel like I'm overpaying...but also knowing that waiting doesn't matter. I also want Kirby and the Forgotten Land, but that's another game I don't want to pay more than $30 for. Definitely need to capitalize on deals when they come. 

• Like 2

These pokemon leaks are fine but the designs suck. Honestly, Nintendo needs to get the Pokemon team replaced for better designs. Why is everything always becoming bipedal? 

I've seen better FAN MADE designs. Nintendo, find these people and hire them for the design team because the staff you have now suck. 

• Like 1