Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Sold Over 10 Million Copies In First 3 Days

It is the fastest-selling game in the history of the franchise.

Nintendo has revealed that Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sold over 10 million copies worldwide during its first three days of release.

This makes the game the fastest-selling entry in the history of the franchise.

Over in the Americas, over 4 million copies of the game were sold and it's also now the fastest-selling Switch game and fastest-selling Nintendo game for any system in that territory.

Additionally, around 2.24 million copies of the game were sold in Japan.

The milestone is quite astonishing as it took Sony Santa Monica's God of War Ragnarok three months to sell 11 million copies.

From Software's Elden Ring sold 12 million copies in less than three weeks.

Tears of the Kingdom is also Nintendo's first game to cost $70, and it certainly seems like the price increase didn't discourage many people from buying it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-sold-over-10-million-copies-in-first-three-days/1100-6514264/

Edited by ziggypossum
:3
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

Tears of the Kingdom is also Nintendo's first game to cost $70, and it certainly seems like the price increase didn't discourage many people from buying it.

And there it is...the only part of this that Nintendo will pay any attention to. It's really sad that people just don't speak with their wallets like they should...this is why they keep getting away with it. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Viper said:

And there it is...the only part of this that Nintendo will pay any attention to. It's really sad that people just don't speak with their wallets like they should...this is why they keep getting away with it. 

I think they can (and will) get away with it for their big ticket games, but that's about it. Games that are this highly anticipated would sell well if they were $100. Let's not kid ourselves.

Though, I think the real reason behind this is the uptick in costs to create the little cards and are trying to encourage people to buy it with the vouchers digitally instead of paying for physical version or at least pass along that extra cost.

Not saying they aren't being scummy (they definitely are), but I do think there is a logical reason for it. Granted, they really should just make the digital version $60 and physical version $70 if they want to do this correctly. This is really where the scumminess comes in imo. It costs nothing to publish on the eShop. 

Some could surmise that the increase was due to the extra development needed to finish it and going over budget, but I think that's a bullshit excuse... especially with a game you know will end up being in the top 5 all time sellers on the Switch. If this is the case, Nintendo definitely being a scumbag. Lol.

• Like 2

While getting these three games is nice in of itself (especially since it means that we're finally getting more GBA games added to NSO, and not just one this time either), it's annoying that all they seem to be adding this time around after waiting this long (almost three months) is exclusively Mario platforming games (which are all ports of games that, IIRC, are already included in the service through their original NES and SNES counterparts). Hopefully more, non-Mario GBA games will be added shortly afterwards because waiting this long since Metroid: Fusion only to get these three games is insulting imo. I'll admit that I probably sound a bit entitled saying all this, but I think I have reason to be when I'm paying $80 for my subscription to the service. lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Finally got my copy of Tears of the Kingdom!! 

Done with the Sky Temple, explored a bit of Hyrule, and now I'm making my way to Death Mountain. So far I've been impressed with the game and the updates to the gameplay. Using the new power-ups was fun and weren't all that overwhelming like in the trailers.

I'm also digging the artstyle (reminds me of Skyward Sword with the sky areas) and updated UI of the game too. Though I will say that my Switch fan is spinning like crazy lol. Oh, and the story is a lot more interesting and left a big impression over BOTW. 

The $70 price sucks despite the game being loaded with content. Nintendo stated they'll price their games on a "case-by-case" basis, which sounds like an excuse to charge next-gen prices for last-gen games. This morning, I read that Sega is also considering increasing its prices to $70 with possibly the next Sonic/Yakuza games as they've noticed that it's the industry trend. 

The Switch version of Mortal Kombat 1 is already confirmed to be $70. Nintendo does it for ONE game and now everyone else is immediately following suit (just like in 2020 when 2K announced NBA 2K21 would be the first game on current gen to go $70, and Sony and Microsoft were all over it for everything else). I'll never get over how big business continues to blatantly screw people over and do shady shit right to our faces...but end up getting away with it because they always make it out like it's an innocent result of unfortunate circumstance. And people being like "well that sucks" then supporting it anyways, doesn't help. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 4

My stance on the price increases on new games is pretty neutral. Sure I would like to pay less for games but the companies have bills and wages to pay too. Times have changed too - it's not like games are made by a small handful of people anymore (except some indies). If you've sat through the end credits during the past few years, often you'll notice thousands of people have contributed to creating the software you enjoy. And they all needed to be compensated for their work. A good portion of those credited people have worked on the game for years too.
The fancier stuff consumers demand, the more the development costs rise. And if a game is seemingly a "low budget" product, players are quick to complain and rally other people to boycott the game. It's become a vicious cycle.

Just a few days ago I had to pay 65 € for only a cartridge of a Nintendo DS game (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia). If only I had bought it at full price when it released, it would have been a lot cheaper and would have had the case and cover art with it. I started creating a replacement cover art for it in case I want to try printing it out. Now I need to find a spare case for it. 
I've learnt my lesson that waiting for sales on Nintendo games usually ends up costing you more.

And because we're in the Nintendo Switch thread: I bought Trinity Trigger for Switch but haven't started it yet. I heard many people have liked the game and it should be on the shorter side which I appreciate. I'm still playing Octopath Traveler II and enjoying it for the few minutes that I manage to stay awake every evening. Temenos the cleric was the last party member I recruited and he's a pretty funny character. I expected to see a holy and proper servant of God - instead I got a dude who coerces information out of people by beating them up, haha.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Thing is, Ninetendo games never (if rarely) get a price cut. I don't buy games day 1 like I used to (unless its from a franchise I really love like Zelda, Klonoa, Tekken, and Resident Evil) and I choose to wait for a price drop. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was $70 when it launched and now you can find it cheap at retailers/digital stores when there's a sale. Last week it became free on PS Extra.

For Nintendo that doesn't happen all that often with Breath of the Wild, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart 8 as they're still full price 5+ years later. The best you're going to get is 25-30% off during an eshop sale.

They used to slash their prices to $20 with the Nintendo Selects lineup but since the aforementioned games still continue to top the charts yearly due to casual players, they don't see a reason to slash their prices. I'm not exusing their practices, but I've been waiting for years for a Smash Bros. Ultimate Complete Edition to replace my lost copy but the game is still $60.

Oh yes, I know...I've brought this up before. I'm a late adopter of the Switch, only had mine for a little over a year now. And while I love it, the hardest pill I've had to swallow is that first party games just do not fall in price. I'm used to PlayStation in that regard, I'm not a day one adopter 99% of the time either (and even if I did happen to pre-order something, I got a deal on it...haven't paid full price for a game in years), because you know the longer you're willing to wait, the better the sale is going to be. 

So when I got my Switch and I'm out there searching for games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, etc. The realization that paying $35 for one of these, used, 6 years after release...is considered a damn good deal in the Nintendo landscape, is something that never sat well with me. Because I do most of my shopping on eBay, and the fact that resellers are pricing their used crap at the same rate as a Nintendo eShop sale is insane. And that's including people selling just a game cart without the case for that price (I need the case personally). 

So for me, I don't support this $70 price model for anything. I refuse to buy games at $70. Spider-Man 2 is coming out later this year, it's my most anticipated game...but I won't be getting it day 1 because I'm not paying full price for it. It's the same reason I didn't jump on the Tears of the Kingdom bandwagon...but at least Spider-Man 2 is going to fall in price with a little bit of time...depending on when it comes out (I predict September), I could probably get it for 50% off on Black Friday...Tears of the Kingdom? $45 at some point years from now, will probably be the best you can do unless you get extremely lucky. 

The whole situation is very shady and blatant to me...and at this point if they just came out right and said "yeah we're screwing you, we're seeing how far we can push this before you guys just boycott the industry" would feel more comforting and I'd almost respect it. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

You can find digital sales for first party games, but they only come around a  occasionally through a year (Mar10 week, Pokémon day, Black Friday, Christmas season, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting). And normally aren't that great compared to Sony (25% the most)

However, you won't find physical copies on sale unless it's bundled with the system or is some super special deal with a retailer that's forces you into a buy 3 get the 3rd one half off or something insane like that. I think that's where the frustration comes in.

However, I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I mean, Metroid Prime Remastered is only $40. It'll be interested to see if what the rumored Paper Mario TYD ends up costing if that comes to be true. $60? 40? $70? Maybe they'll just spin a wheel?

I think that may give more clarity. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

You can find digital sales for first party games, but they only come around a  occasionally through a year (Mar10 week, Pokémon day, Black Friday, Christmas season, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting). And normally aren't that great compared to Sony (25% the most)

However, you won't find physical copies on sale unless it's bundled with the system or is some super special deal with a retailer that's forces you into a buy 3 get the 3rd one half off or something insane like that. I think that's where the frustration comes in.

However, I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I mean, Metroid Prime Remastered is only $40. It'll be interested to see if what the rumored Paper Mario TYD ends up costing if that comes to be true. $60? 40? $70? Maybe they'll just spin a wheel?

I think that may give more clarity. 

i see physical sales quite often. Instead of 89.99, they're 54.99 etc. It's more rare for games such as Zelda and Mario but i often see Harvestella, Dragon Quest Treasures, Xenoblade, and Octopath 2 on sale among others.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

i see physical sales quite often. Instead of 89.99, they're 54.99 etc. It's more rare for games such as Zelda and Mario but i often see Harvestella, Dragon Quest Treasures, Xenoblade, and Octopath 2 on sale among others.

Square Enix actually does a good job putting sales on Nintendo. Can't say I've ever seen Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or 3, but maybe the first game I have. I had to pay more for a physical copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. xD

I was referring to the big ticket games. Your Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Square Enix actually does a good job putting sales on Nintendo. Can't say I've ever seen Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or 3, but maybe the first game I have. I had to pay more for a physical copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. xD

I was referring to the big ticket games. Your Mario, Zelda, Smash Brosnan, Mario Kart, etc.

Yeah Zelda BOTW was on sale in January. Ive seen Xeno 3 on sale but out here 2 is a rare as hell item. Luckily the store keeps rare trade ins for me. But i managed 2 Torna reprints. Its crazy how Nintendo seem to be 1 print run of everything and then their heavy hitters (Zelda/Mario) are fine.

Also where did you hear paper mario rumor? I'll gladly take 1000yr door.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Yeah Zelda BOTW was on sale in January. Ive seen Xeno 3 on sale but out here 2 is a rare as hell item. Luckily the store keeps rare trade ins for me. But i managed 2 Torna reprints. Its crazy how Nintendo seem to be 1 print run of everything and then their heavy hitters (Zelda/Mario) are fine.

Also where did you hear paper mario rumor? I'll gladly take 1000yr door.

There's a notorious Nintendo leaker who claims it's coming this year to switch and it's being kept a surprise and was told this by 3 separate sources and it lined up with an interview with Miyamoto about a special Mario game being released this year and the interview was done around the release of the Mario movie.

Nothing concrete, but the leaker has a pretty clean track record.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

Yeah I've seen rumors about Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and F-Zero GX getting Switch remasters. 

I started Thousand Year Door on GameCube then this rumor surfaced and I haven't played it since (went on to play Wind Waker instead). Was hoping there would be some validity to it by now. If it is coming, then I'd rather play it on Switch...otherwise I'll go back to the GC version. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

Beat the Fire Temple and it was pretty fun. I liked the divine beast dungeouns of BOTW but I'm also happy that traditional dungeouns are back. Mined ores and sold them for profit and now I'm decently stocked on foods and arrows. Also did few quests in Death Mountain.

If you visit a stable, you'll notice that your horses from BOTW are saved and I took out Epona for a spin. I don't know if its me but aren't the shrines more easier/streamlined than before (which honestly I don't mind since I need the blessings). Currently, I'm in Zora's Domain for the Water Temple and its great seeing some of the familiar Zoras again.

In other Nintendo news, I watched the Mario movie and it was a super fun time with some fantastic visuals. It's loaded with lots of references for fans and Jack Black was absolutely hilarious as Bowser. Hoping there's more movies from Nintendo now that the negative stigma of the 1993 Mario movie has been wiped clean.

Nintendo Japan announced that parts availability for the Wii U has ceased and parts will be avaliable till stock last, according to Nintendo Life. I'm surprised that they still supported the Wii U late into the Switch's lifecycle and it's going to be tough to service the Gamepad should it break.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2023 at 9:47 AM, Viper said:

Yeah I've seen rumors about Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and F-Zero GX getting Switch remasters. 

I started Thousand Year Door on GameCube then this rumor surfaced and I haven't played it since (went on to play Wind Waker instead). Was hoping there would be some validity to it by now. If it is coming, then I'd rather play it on Switch...otherwise I'll go back to the GC version. 

There's not really any other "big" releases this year so I'm expecting them to sneak in some of these older ports somewhere as they do make a lot of sense to hold people over until their next console releases... I think Pikman 4 is the last Nintendo IP release with a scheduled release date? Can't think of anything else under the hood other than Pokémon DLC and Metroid Prime 4, which who knows on that one. At this point, I'm more convinced Prime 4 will be a Nintendo Switch 2 launch title in 2024 or in 2025.

It's very possible they are gearing up for their next console, but it doesn't make sense to just dump all your resources into that while you still have millions of owners who are purchasing games like crazy (TotK is a prime example, lol). There's got to be more coming this year.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 11:28 AM, Eyjabria said:

My stance on the price increases on new games is pretty neutral. Sure I would like to pay less for games but the companies have bills and wages to pay too. Times have changed too - it's not like games are made by a small handful of people anymore (except some indies). If you've sat through the end credits during the past few years, often you'll notice thousands of people have contributed to creating the software you enjoy. And they all needed to be compensated for their work. A good portion of those credited people have worked on the game for years too.
The fancier stuff consumers demand, the more the development costs rise. And if a game is seemingly a "low budget" product, players are quick to complain and rally other people to boycott the game. It's become a vicious cycle.

Just a few days ago I had to pay 65 € for only a cartridge of a Nintendo DS game (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia). If only I had bought it at full price when it released, it would have been a lot cheaper and would have had the case and cover art with it. I started creating a replacement cover art for it in case I want to try printing it out. Now I need to find a spare case for it. 
I've learnt my lesson that waiting for sales on Nintendo games usually ends up costing you more.

And because we're in the Nintendo Switch thread: I bought Trinity Trigger for Switch but haven't started it yet. I heard many people have liked the game and it should be on the shorter side which I appreciate. I'm still playing Octopath Traveler II and enjoying it for the few minutes that I manage to stay awake every evening. Temenos the cleric was the last party member I recruited and he's a pretty funny character. I expected to see a holy and proper servant of God - instead I got a dude who coerces information out of people by beating them up, haha.

I agree with you on the price increases. Games are getting more expensive. It's true that first-party Nintendo games don't get as massive price cuts as others, but I tend to like their games more so I find it a balance.

Have fun with Order of Ecclesia! I got it used maybe 8 years ago or so, when it wasn't so insanely priced. It's the only Metroidvania Castlevania game where I have not defeated the final boss (even with a Gamefaqs guide). Maybe someday I'll finally manage it. Anyway all those games are great in my opinion.

I wasn't sold on Zelda Tears of the Kingdom before release. After all BotW is the only one I've finished (or even gotten very far in, besides the original Zelda on NES). But I got convinced a month or so before release and preordered it with voucher tickets (interesting that Nintendo advertises this "trick" deal, I figured it out myself and thought I was special ?). I started playing it day one and I haven't been able to put it down. I have almost finished the third story dungeon and I find them a good mix of puzzles and combat. But again, I don't have the history of playing the dungeons in the pre-BotW games so I can't compare them. I have done more story than anything else but spent some time on side quests and just exploring places. The object building is fun. It's a bit quirky but I think it strikes the right balance between simple and complicated, and given its simplicity it's impressive what people have created (I haven't sought out cool user things but I've seen a few). I'm not a creative person so I spend like 5 minutes on even the most detailed character creator tools, which makes the object building tools in TotK something that I use but don't spend tons of time on. But it's great that people enjoy them for massive creations.

Anyway, I probably said this when BotW came out, but I think the Switch Zelda duology really nails the open world format. I've gotten very bored of the Ubisoft formula, to the point that I stopped playing the Assassin's Creed series. I think the last open world game I enjoyed was Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and a lot of that was down to the characters. But BotW and TotK give me freedom, and it never feels like a collect-a-thon. I am so sick of hunting down 1000 items on a map that give me nothing in-game. I love the gameplay loop of stuff like "this story boss is giving me a hard time, so why don't I go do a bunch of shrines, upgrade my armor, and come back". And of course while doing that, I end up discovering a bunch of cool caves and things like that. I didn't play BotW to death (e.g. going after all 900 Korok seeds) so I'll eventually move on, but in my mind this goes back to the $70 price tag. I paid less because of the vouchers, but these two games I think I've definitely got $70+ worth out of.

• Like 3

On 26/05/2023 at 6:49 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Have fun with Order of Ecclesia! I got it used maybe 8 years ago or so, when it wasn't so insanely priced. It's the only Metroidvania Castlevania game where I have not defeated the final boss (even with a Gamefaqs guide). Maybe someday I'll finally manage it. Anyway all those games are great in my opinion.

Thanks! I haven't played Castlevania games aside from briefly trying out one of the early ones on NES at my friend's house. I've done some research on what are considered the best ones in the franchise and I bought Aria of Sorrow on Wii U Virtual Console before the eShop closed down. And now recently picked up Order of Ecclesia when I saw it at our local retailer. 

The difficulty sounds a bit worrisome - I hope I'll be able to finish the game!

Like I mentioned earlier I've been designing a replacement cover for the game since I got the cartridge only. Tried to recreate the feel of the actual European box art using some higher quality assets I was able to find on the internet: 

50f792b88b3a344b412cc25d5b10977cf1e7ae49.jpg

Just completed Vampire Survivors and its DLCs on PC so Castlevania would fit the theme as my next game. At the moment I'm playing Ghost Trick on 3DS and after that I might start Trinity Trigger on Switch though.

• Like 3

Still waiting for Konami to release a collection of the Nintendo DS Castlevania games, especially considering how expensive the originals have become in recent years.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Still waiting for Konami to release a collection of the Nintendo DS Castlevania games, especially considering how expensive the originals have become in recent years.

Yeah, me too. After the recent success of the Castlevania Advance Collection and Capcom's Battle Network Collection, I'm hoping the DS games are next. Would love to play Order of Ecclesia. 

Done with the Water Temple and I liked that Sidon got some much needed screentime (he was easily my most likable character in BOTW). Been charting out the map and doing shrines the past couple of days. Made my way to Hebra and going for the Wind Temple next, but I can't help being distracted by everything around me.

The Koroks, wells, treasures, and Sky and Underground areas will take me ages to complete. Not that I mind since I'll be savoring my time with the game. 

Edit: Some of my gripes with the game are starting to show as the durability system (even with the fuse ability) still is annoying and my weapons broke at the worst times. The Recall ability is my favorite and it sucks that it's relegated shrines and few debris that fall from the sky. Also, the underground area feels lifeless and I'm forcing myself to explore it for treasures. And Lastly, the performance on docked mode is average since textures look low-res.

Edited by NullRay85
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NullRay85 said:

Yeah, me too. After the recent success of the Castlevania Advance Collection and Capcom's Battle Network Collection, I'm hoping the DS games are next. Would love to play Order of Ecclesia.

Seeing as how the Netflix series has been so popular (and a new one focused on Richter is also in the works), and the sudden love Metal Gear and Silent Hill are getting from Konami, I'd imagine they're already working on a collection of the DS games (and maybe some new stuff too). Or at least that's what I'm hoping is the case, anyways. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2