Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

I've been on a mini vacation during Easter and had a little more time to put into gaming. I bought so many games in March (thanks to eShop closure) that I accumulated gold points worth 20 €. I also earned "minion of Bak'laag" (100+ unfinished games) and "cursed" status (10+ new games in a row) on Backloggery for the first time. Now it's time to dig into that backlog!

On Switch I "beat" Fitness Boxing by unlocking all the clothing items. I've had a daily streak of 1400+ days. I plan to continue a bit more to get a full 4 year streak. I'm still playing Octopath Traveler II in the evenings but I’ve usually been so tired that I fall asleep before making any significant progress. I have 5 characters recruited at the moment, the latest addition to party being Ochette. She's a likeable, cute character and I picked the owl as her companion.
I've put a couple of Switch games on hold (Piofiore and Easy Come Easy Golf) with the plan to continue those at some point.

On 3DS I'm playing Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney where I've advanced to 4th case. Enjoyable game even though the 3rd case had pretty weird leaps of logic. On PC I've been playing Rainbow Six Extraction before it leaves Game Pass. It's the first Rainbow Six game for me and it's pretty challenging. Not sure if I can finish it before it leaves the service.

What Switch games are you looking forward to the most this year, btw? From the upcoming releases Fantasy Life i might be my most anticipated title. Shamefully I still haven't started Zelda BotW despite owning it since launch... So my hype meter for Tears of the Kingdom isn't super high. I may have a fear of getting so immersed into BotW that I'd play it for hundreds of hours. Sometimes I dread starting games that require a significant time investment.

• Like 3

I'm pretty much done buying Switch games this year, even though I'm interested in Fantasy Life and Tears of the Kingdom. Gotta find BotW for a decent price first. In the meantime, I've borrowed it from my local library; only have 30 minutes in the game. Been doing some 3DS gaming this week. Nothing big just Bravely Default demo and eventually the main game. I'm honestly need to cut back a little and focus on my backlog. I have some great games that are collecting dust. BUT I do plan on buying Final Fantasy 6 and Sea of Stars in the future for the PS4.

And that's it....I hope. Tho I'm a huge sucker for video game deals....I hope Fantasy Life gets delayed. There I said it. :P 

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 8:27 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Damn, that's pretty pricey considering I could get most of these on PS3 for 6-$10. I was expecting them to all be around 10-$12.

Might just wait for a sale. I got plenty of other RPGs to play. Haha.

On 4/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, Edunstar84 said:

Am only interested in buying FF6 for now, and will buy the rest on sale.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:01 AM, Viper said:

Yikes. Definitely waiting on a future sale for this for PS4.

In case anyone's curious, the prices are the same as on Steam. The Steam versions do go on sale periodically, but I think the most I've ever seen them discounted is 20%, so I wouldn't expect sale prices any deeper than that for quite awhile, if your plan is to wait.

I played II and III on Steam because they were the only ones I hadn't played before. I paid full price for II because $12 seemed very fair, waited for the 20% off sale for III. Each game took 20-25 hours to complete, so the pricing isn't bad.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

In case anyone's curious, the prices are the same as on Steam. The Steam versions do go on sale periodically, but I think the most I've ever seen them discounted is 20%, so I wouldn't expect sale prices any deeper than that for quite awhile, if your plan is to wait.

I played II and III on Steam because they were the only ones I hadn't played before. I paid full price for II because $12 seemed very fair, waited for the 20% off sale for III. Each game took 20-25 hours to complete, so the pricing isn't bad.

Thanks for the heads up. If I could get the whole bundle for $60, I'd be happy with that. (Which would be 20% of the $75 bundle)

Fingers crossed for that deal I guess. Like I said, I'm in no rush to buy it. I got plenty of other things to play.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm mentally preparing for the funeral of my trusty Nintendo 3DS XL I've had since summer 2013. The right hinge has had a small crack on it for a couple of years at least. It has slowly expanded to a point where the hinge is about snap and fall apart completely. I've been planning to do a system transfer to either New 3DS XL or New 2DS XL this weekend before it's too late. 

The Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS XL is the favorite out of my consoles, the other Animal Crossing editions I own aren't as nice visually and they don't feel as good when using them. 

This console has been accompanying me for nearly 10 years, for over 6000 hours of playtime (124 titles) and 9 515 263 steps - it was with me in the hospital too when I got a blood transfusion.

tumblr_nectf75F6Y1tyw21qo2_1280.jpg

Sigh. The last game I finished on it was Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney just last weekend.

its a very cute 3DS

• Like 2

Finally beat Breath of the Wild! Storming Hyrule Castle and making my way to the throne room was a lot of fun. I can't tell you how great it was to finally obliterate the Guardians with ease after they gave me a hard time initially-- the Guardian armor, Guardian weapons, and Master Sword made short work of them.

I also explored Hyrule Castle and got the iconic Hylian Shield after beating a boss fight (went down easy) and surprisngly, reaching the top of the castle was a decent challnege (lots of guardians and lynels laying around) but stealth is a viable option. I won't spoil the boss fight, but the grand scale of it was amazing and still entertained me years later. The ending got me hopeful for the future of Hyrule too!

Also, I started the DLCs and.... they're not all that great. If you like the shrine quests but with more challenge, then you'll love the ones in store in the Champions Ballad. Anyway, I did a few of them but since the game was stingy on story scenes, I lost interest quickly and I won't be playing more. 

In other news, picked up a copy of Bayonetta 1 so I got the complete physical collection on Switch (always loved Bayos first design out of the three). Saw the new trailers of Tears of the Kingdom and I'm excited for the game. Great seeing that Link isn't alone this time around, hope the cast will get more screen time. 

@Eyjabria: Sorry to hear about your 3DS XL, it looks awesome but a system transfer sounds like a good idea. I lent my original Aqua Blue 3DS to my little cousin years ago and he gave it back with the bottom screen cracked, so I learned my lesson when sharing my hardware LOL. I'm gaming on my main New 3DS XL and I'm always worried about the battery losing charge over time. Sadly, that's the reality of physical hardware, they'll break eventually. To answer your previous question, I'm looking forward to the Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection since I grew up watching the anime (and Tears of the Kingdom too).

• Like 3

I know that this has pretty much been a problem stretching as far back as Nintendo first starting the program, but the constant drip feeding they've been doing when it comes to adding retro games to NSO is honestly (imo) fucking awful and way too damn slow. This is especially noticable after the recent introduction of Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games to the service (we don't even have any of the mainline Pokémon games from either handheld, ffs). On one hand I obviously don't want them rushing stuff out and having it end up like how some of the Nintendo 64 games did at first, but on the other hand I just can't see any good, logical reason for it to take this long for them to add new titles and get into a relatively consistent rhythm of doing so (let alone taking so many years to add GB and GBA games in the first place). It feels like the equivalent of getting water boarded sometimes, as admittedly overdramatic as that sounds. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

So, remember when I said some time ago that I'm done buying Switch games for this year? Well, I found Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for a decent price. I've been wanting to play the game for a better part of a decade, but wasn't interested in buying a Wii U at the time. I'm glad Nintendo ported it over. Can't wait to play! Hey you know what? I might even get Tears of the Kingdom this year, too.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

So, remember when I said some time ago that I'm done buying Switch games for this year? Well, I found Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for a decent price. I've been wanting to play the game for a better part of a decade, but wasn't interested in buying a Wii U at the time. I'm glad Nintendo ported it over. Can't wait to play! Hey you know what? I might even get Tears of the Kingdom this year, too.

Hope you enjoy, it's a lot of fun! I remember buying Super Mario 3D World the week it came out a decade ago. As much as I loved playing Nintendo Land with family, there was barely anything to play on the Wii U since launch (I remember a lot of owners complaining about that too on IGN forums and YT comments). 2013 was a slow year until later with Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD, so I was very excited for the next Mario game. I won't spoil the levels but if you're a fan of 3D Land on 3DS then you'll love 3D World since it's more of the same, but bigger. I also read that the new Bowser expansion is fun too. 

At the moment, I'm playing Wario Land 4 on VC and it's been tons of fun. Slightly harder than the average Mario game, but I'm enjoying the levels and the transformation mechanic where Wario truns into a bat or a zombie if enemies touch him and access new areas that way. After that I'm planning on either playing more retro games or dusting off my DS to play Apollo Justice.

• Like 3

I've been playing a lot of the extension pack games on NSO lately. I'm speeding my way through Pokémon Stadium, I beat Legend of Zelda Minish Cap, and I'm stuck on Metroid Fusion and can't figure out how to get pass these purple/green blobs after getting the ice missles. :P

I'm also playing through 007 Goldeneye slowly, but it just sucks so much not having a N64 controller. I tried to get one before, but they almost sell out instantly.

I'm also kind of hopping in between games at the moment waiting for LoZ. Playing a bit of Ori and the Blind Forest, SMTV, Pokémon Violet online, Fire Emblem Engage and Splatoon 3.

However, I was finally able to secure a copy of Metroid Prime Remastered this week so I plan on playing that soon until it comes out.

I also need to make a decision on wtf I'm going to do about LoZ Tears of the Kingdom. Do I go physical for $70 or do the vouchers and get Advanced Wars as well for $50 a piece? I feel like the logical thing to do is save the money and go digital, but I feel like 5-10 years from now, I'm going to look back and regret not having a physical copy.... the internal struggle is real. Lol.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

Remember when I talked about my 3DS XL's broken hinge and my plans to do a system transfer to a New 3DS XL? Well, I did that yesterday... Somehow I had a bad feeling about the process. If something can go wrong with technology, it usually happens to me. I'm known for just glancing at websites and they break (which is why I usually get to test things at work). Let's say my gut feeling was right and that it was a system transfer from hell

First I was going to get a heart attack when the new console took several minutes in "connecting to the internet" near the end of the system transfer process. This is the part where the source system had just formatted itself to factory settings and the target system had probably received the NNID related data from the source system and now checked it against Nintendo's servers. I was really worried something went wrong and I'd be left with two devices that neither have access to my Nintendo account. I was so relieved it finally connected and proceeded to the next step.

The next step was shutting down both systems and copying the source system's memory card data to PC. Yes, that went without a hitch. But then it was time to copy the source system's memory card data to a new MicroSD card that would go to the target system to finalize the process. The old system had a 32 GB SDHC and I had a 32 GB Micro SDHC for the new system. Both memory cards were Kingston's. I had formatted the new memory card as per Nintendo's instructions and suddenly Windows tells me the card doesn't have enough capacity to copy the contents of the old memory card onto it. What???? That's when I realize the files on the old card took 29.7 GB and the new so-called 32 GB card's capacity was 28.8 GB. No one told me this could happen!

Oh my fucking god! I'm in the middle of a system transfer where I have 10 years worth of save data, a good amount of eShop and Theme shop purchases and now I'm unable to finalize the system transfer! I can't go back to the old console and I can't start using the new one. It was Sunday and I couldn't go buy a new memory card anymore in the evening when this occurred.

I was so devastated and stressed out about this incidence that I couldn't even sleep last night (had 2 - 3 hours of sleep) when I went through the worst case scenarios in my head. And I had no appetite today. 

Nintendo's own documentation states 3DS is only compatible with SDHC of up to 32 GB. So am I shit out of luck if all memory cards are crap with not enough capacity? We did some research with my husband and found out that Micro SDXC cards of larger capacity would also work on a 3DS as long as you manage to format it to FAT32. So today we bought a new 32 GB Micro SDHC and a 64 GB Micro SDXC to try our luck with. Turns out the 32 GB's actual capacity was even smaller than the earlier card's, so no go with that. Btw, it should be illegal to state a card's capacity is 32 GB when it's over 3 gigs less in reality. 

We found a guide on how to format the 64 GB card to the correct file system format on Windows and my husband did it for me on his PC. Ok, so far so good. 

I copied the required files to the new formatted card on my PC and it was time to insert it to the New 3DS XL. Would it work? I was so afraid and at the same time hopeful. I booted the console and it appeared to be connecting to the internet again to verify something. And it was a success!! OMG I saw the Legend of Legacy theme and heard the music, saw all the software icons, Badge Arcade badges on the home screen - just like they had been on the old console. I was so happy I almost cried!

Maybe I can get some sleep again tonight.

Edited by Eyjabria
  • Like 4

I have a few Switch games out there I want:

Metroid Prime Remastered 

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Then to a lesser extent Tears of the Kingdom and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 3 (Haven't started the first yet, so they're more based on if I like it or not). A lot of these are based on finding good deals for them. But unfortunately Mario 3D All-Stars has been skyrocketing in price just since I got my Switch over the last year, I would have bought it sooner but figured I could find it cheaper, but no...it's been going through the roof and I fear I missed my chance with that especially with it not being in production anymore (such a stupid decision on Nintendo's part). 

I tried playing Galaxy on my Wii, but I find that movement controls with the Nunchuck to be strange when you're trying to orient being upside down on a little planet, it's not very exact. So I'd just rather play the Switch version with a Pro Controller. Blasphemy, I know, but I just can't with motion controls. But if 3D All-Stars is out of grasp now, I might just have to suck it up and do it anyways. 

Metroid Prime is the one I want the most, but I'm being cheap and stingy and trying to find it for like $20-$25. Not hating on the $40 price tag, that was good on Nintendo for that one...but hey I like to stretch my dollar as far as I can, but scalpers are still running rampant with it and legit sellers won't really go under $35 for it right now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Viper said:

I have a few Switch games out there I want:

Metroid Prime Remastered 

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The only good thing about skipping Two Nintendo Consoles was that Nintendo himself ported allmost all their GC and Wii/WiiU Games now for Switch making it a breeze to get them now.

Im way behind too and i think im skipping at least the first two years of the Next gen Nintendo to get all Games done on my List. This is a big BUT if Nintendo makes the new Console Backward combatibly to Switch (wich would be Insane and nice and clever) than i would buy a new one. (Rumors says 2024-2025 wich sounds fair)

Well at least i will try to play both Zelda Switch Games at once if this makes sense and the Story continues in the new one.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

The only good thing about skipping Two Nintendo Consoles was that Nintendo himself ported allmost all their GC and Wii/WiiU Games now for Switch making it a breeze to get them now.

Im way behind too and i think im skipping at least the first two years of the Next gen Nintendo to get all Games done on my List. This is a big BUT if Nintendo makes the new Console Backward combatibly to Switch (wich would be Insane and nice and clever) than i would buy a new one. (Rumors says 2024-2025 wich sounds fair)

Well at least i will try to play both Zelda Switch Games at once if this makes sense and the Story continues in the new one.

Yeah while I started my gaming life on an NES, my younger brother was the one who stuck with Nintendo while I did the opposite...so I got to play SNES and N64 all the time, then he made the permanent switch to Xbox and I stuck with PlayStation, so I skipped the GameCube, Wii and Wii U (well my Step Dad had a Wii in the mid 2000's but I barely played it) and all the handhelds after the Gameboy Color (and it's why I bought an N64 and Wii now to play catch up on games I missed). And even when the Switch came out I didn't really care...I thought it was just going to be another gimmick. But seeing it flourish over the years made me second guess myself and finally get one....it's a fantastic console and everything I've played on it so far as been a ton of fun...it just needs an achievement system lol. So I've definitely made the decision that I won't be waiting as long to adopt the next one. I won't get it right away as I want my Switch to have a LITTLE bit of age to it first so it doesn't feel like I should have just waited for the successor, but Nintendo locked me back in. It's a nice secondary console to have with games that are very different from your usual afare on PlayStation. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

The Fun thing is i never skipped a handheld from Nintendo since i got a Gameboy even before the Playstation and im kinda hang on it.

But Switch beeing a Hybrid Console gives me chill to that fact :D So i need it anyway at some point this time.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

I hope they port 3ds games as well, having all of those FE games on a modern console would kick ass! 

• Like 3

Ended up doing some caving in:

Over the weekend: Bought Metroid Prime Remastered 

Monday morning: Bought LoZ Tears of the Kingdom physical edition 

Monday evening: Bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3 DLC pass. - Final part (prequel) comes out tomorrow. Hopefully, they reset my level because I don't want to be level 98, haha.

I think the next games I will buy will probably be the Pokémon Violet DLC, Baten Kaitos this summer, and Paper Mario TYD if the rumors are true.

I also read rumors that the next retro games we are getting on NSO is Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. Hopefully,  that's true because those games are amazing.

Though, part of me really wishes they'd add more N64 games. They are missing some really good classics like Banjo Tooie, DK 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mischief Makers, Perfect Dark, Snowboard Kids 2, and Silicon Valley.... they could add sooo many bangers. Excite bike 64, and Pokémon Stadium 2 are coming at some point and Banjo Tooie was teased MONTHS ago, but I digress... I'll just cross my fingers.

• Like 2