Death Note Live Action Netflix - L's actor.

TigressLion

So you've probably heard America couldnt help fuck things up again and they're making a Death Note Live Action on Netflix. Yada yada bring my piss to a boil;

I just want to know your opinion on L's choice of actor.

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Do you feel as though he could capture the masterpiece that Lawliet is?

Edited by TigressLion
  • Like 1

I know nothing of this man or his acting ability, but I can say without a doubt that he doesn't **look** the part of L-- Ooops, of course I meant to say that diversity for diversity's sake is always a good thing. For a second there, I almost sounded racist. Shame on me.

• Like 2

I don't think they are looking to please the fans of the anime/manga, they are probably just seeing it as a 'Marvel' thing and going for the typical demographic of American shows. Tbh, I don't think the problem is that American studios will miscast/miss the point of the source material, more that the original creator/publisher is willing to sell out to someone who won't do it justice.

• Like 4

We only possibly state racism because we sound disgruntled about the white Caucasian character being portrayed by a non-Caucasian BUT I feel as the skin color doesn't matter. It's the principle of staying true to your characters. If Sony put out spiderman but made his suit green, you can't be racist than, you'd be upset at the fact they broke character. So before anyone pulls the racist card, dont.

We only possibly state racism because we sound disgruntled about the white Caucasian character being portrayed by a non-Caucasian BUT I feel as the skin color doesn't matter. It's the principle of staying true to your characters. If Sony put out spiderman but made his suit green, you can't be racist than, you'd be upset at the fact they broke character. So before anyone pulls the racist card, dont.

Caucasian? Isn't Death note set in Japan?

EDIT: Not trolling or w/e, haven't seen the show/manga myself

Edited by SkyMason

I was going to say white but then was like whites are Caucasian and by the time I hit submit I was like fuck he looks white but japanese arent Caucasian and was like fuckbit my point is already across

• Like 1

Well the movie is supposed to be Americanized, and looking at the trailer they added scenes that were in the original source to appeal more to the American audience. As a result, I would say this movie is just its own thing but with the same title.

• Like 1

Well the movie is supposed to be Americanized, and looking at the trailer they added scenes that were in the original source to appeal more to the American audience. As a result, I would say this movie is just its own thing but with the same title.

That's what it looks like to me. It's just based off of Death Note, It will stray away from the source material. With that being said though, It's probably not a good idea to alienate the fans of the original so you can just do your own thing with said IP fans follow. I've never seen the anime or read the manga of Death Note, but the conclusion I have come to is that most fans who have seen the trailer are pretty pissed about it. Not only about L's skin color, but just how weak the actor playing Light is.

If Sony put out spiderman but made his suit green, you can't be racist than, you'd be upset at the fact they broke character. So before anyone pulls the racist card, dont.

Speaking of Spider-Man, did you hear Willem Dafoe (who was Green Goblin in the first Spider-Man film) as Ryuk? If anyone is going to be carrying the film on their back then it's him.

Edited by Blue Flare
  • Like 2

Except L isn't Caucasian. He's Japanese. Look I don't mind diversity in my programs, but purposely casting an actor to portray a character that was not written as a certain ethnicity is disrespectful to the original source material. Some of my favorite actors of all time are black but I would not cast a black man to play the role of a white character, nor would I cast an Asian to portray a Latino. Their acting skill doesn't matter. Respecting the source material enough to not fill some subversive agenda does. 

And before you bring up Ghost in the Shell, the original creator wanted Scarlett to begin with, because she looks like Kusanagi.

imo they have made a horrible choice about the actor: different facial expression, from long to short hair, from no facial hair to moustache and beard and most importantly, from white to dark person. i don't know anything about him but i do know about death note and it's one of my most favorite anime. and L is absolutely my favorite character, and i also know it is the favorite of many other people. so you would assume they would look extra carefully to find someone that really looks like him. but instead it looks like they have looked for someone that could'nt by any further away from him for some reason :S:facepalm:.

i hope the rest won't be as much screwed up as the character choice.

sidenote: if this is an american version, doesn't death note have some copyright about this? perhaps that way they can handle this before it screws up.

Edited by yiazmat50112254

17 hours ago, Nishikino Maki said:

Except L isn't Caucasian. He's Japanese. Look I don't mind diversity in my programs, but purposely casting an actor to portray a character that was not written as a certain ethnicity is disrespectful to the original source material. Some of my favorite actors of all time are black but I would not cast a black man to play the role of a white character, nor would I cast an Asian to portray a Latino. Their acting skill doesn't matter. Respecting the source material enough to not fill some subversive agenda does. 

And before you bring up Ghost in the Shell, the original creator wanted Scarlett to begin with, because she looks like Kusanagi.

He's only 1/4 Japanese. The writer of the manga, Tsugumi Ohba, has said that he's 1/4 Japanese, 1/4 English, 1/4 Russian, 1/4 French or Italian. Given that he's 3/4 European, a white actor would make the most sense.

L is supposed to be totally a nerd freak, unhealthy indoor pale sickly genius. It's who L is and I loved L in the show. I don't always care about switcharoo's in live action things from book or manga or cartoon, but this one has me creeped out badly.

• Like 2

Im a HUGE fan of Death Note. And honestly I don't feel like the cast is the only problem, however we'll get to that later.

The biggest problem this movie has is that it looks very action like. Yes, Death Note had some action scenes, car chases and such. But its not really those scenes that matter. We see Light hanging from a Ferris Wheel and getting chased by the cops. Some of the more memorable parts of Death Note for me was when L and Light played Tennis, when Light was in his house proving that he's not Kira with his tactics (Eating his chips) and loads of scenes like that.

Then we get to the cast, we always hear talk about white washing and yes its real and its happening wheter you like it or not. It got major complaints in Ghost in the Shell for example, casting Scar-Jo as Major. Light is played by Nat Wolff, and honestly I don't know what to think. The movie isn't set in Asia which is fine by itself, Death Note didn't really have anything to do with the country they were in. Nat Wolff I guess kind of fit the role, looks kind of good, is potentionally a good and upcoming actor. The problem here is that Light in the manga is a perfect kid, can get any girl, is always 3 steps ahead of everyone else. In this adoptation Light looks tired, off and in some ways.. Uncool. I would've also preffered that they went with Nat's original hair color but oh well.

And lets move on to L, which is one of my favourite characters in terms of every manga and anime I've watched. Definitely top 3. Im not familiar with Lakeith who's playing him at all, I know he's in Get Out but thats as far as my knowledge for him goes. I can't comment on his acting skills, but I do have some comments on the casting of him for L.

What made L so great for me is that while serious as hell, and as Light, he's always 3 steps ahead of everyone else, he's just a chilled out guy that doesn't care about anything. Death Note is a great psycological thriller, and L basically made some of the funnier moments in the entire series while at the same time being one of the most serious.

Here is an classic picture of L in his usual position. What's important to remember is that L is such a chilled out, weird ass guy.
Bildresultat för l sitting

And he does this all the time. He's way serious here, but he's weird as hell to everyone else, but that's just L. Here is the movies adoptation of this.
DN_04298.jpg
I mean he sits correct, but from everything we've seen of L so far is that he doesn't look goofy, weird or anything of the sort. He looks dead serious in every photo and video bit we have. He always has his hood on as he doesn't have the iconic hair, which doesn't help him with the goofy look. It makes him look even more serious. The movie looks dark, which is good. But its still actiony and hollywood isch which is not the kind of dark we want or need for this movie. 
We also have to remind ourself that this covers / is based on the 5 first volumes, and honestly from those 5 volumes some of my favourite moments are definitely L being a chill guy, suspecting Light, playing Tennis, fucking with Misa and Light etc. I don't want this to be a Hollywood, dark ass, action thriller even though that's probably what we'll get.

Whatever we get from this we atleast got a perfect casting with William Defoe as Ryuk, the voice is so fucking perfect.

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 4