It’s the First time I see this :o

Can I sign up?

My games are:

. Guacamelee

. Guacamelee STC Edition

. Odin Sphere

. Shantae and the Pirates Curse

. Teslagrad

You’re missing The Mummy Demastered :) but Nice list, I have most of them, I’ll check the others later :)

Welcome aboard!  Sorry about the delay.  Lots of family stuff the last couple of weeks has had me away and updating these on my iPad is a pain but I'm home now.

On 4/12/2018 at 0:28 PM, CLef86 said:

I would like to be added, please.

Currently I qualify for Metroidvania Apprentice.

Platted Game(s):

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition.

Thanks.

And welcome to a new apprentice!

On 4/18/2018 at 3:08 PM, CJ_Mystery said:

Close to getting the Shantae Half-Genie Hero platinum. Just need to get the 100$ speedrun for those final three trophies(100%, any% speedrun and 100% speedrun).

I see you have completed the plat now.  I have updated your tally.

Edited by Kevvik

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 4:46 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey, sign me up please, I have:

1. Apotheon

2. Dust: An Elysian Tail

3. Guacamelee

4. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

5. Salt and Sanctuary (PS4 & Vita)

6. Strider

7. Teslagrad

Plus: 

Xeodrifter (100%)

Welcome aboard to a new Connoisseur!  I also noted that you had platted Rogue Legacy so you also received the special award for that completion as well.  Keep on exploring!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, can I be added as a Metroidvania Warrior? Thank you! 

1. Apotheon 

2. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition 

3. Headlander 

4. Strider

5. Teslagrad 

I have the goal of being a Master! 

Also, weird question, why are both versions of Guacamelee listed as two different games? I know they are two different editions, but still, just curious lol 

And have you thought of adding other games to the list? Sorry, just a huge fan of the genre!

On 7/15/2018 at 4:33 PM, Cryptonyte said:

Hey, can I be added as a Metroidvania Warrior? Thank you! 

1. Apotheon 

2. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition 

3. Headlander 

4. Strider

5. Teslagrad 

I have the goal of being a Master! 

Also, weird question, why are both versions of Guacamelee listed as two different games? I know they are two different editions, but still, just curious lol 

And have you thought of adding other games to the list? Sorry, just a huge fan of the genre!

Welcome aboard, Warrior!  I also noticed that you finished the platinum on Shatae: Half-Genie Hero as well this week so tallied you in at 6 titles.

The Guacamelee games actually have separate and distinct trophy lists rather than just identical lists on multiple systems so I left them both in when I inherited the PP.

Adding more games is likely but with a lot of them coming out over the last year, the PP was going to get extremely big.  I hoped to come up with a way of splitting it into 2 manageable PPs with the Metroidvania theme but didn't come up with a manageable way (ie fantasy vs everything else) and sort of got distracted with life/gaming and forgot about it. If anyone has an idea feel free to let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 4:05 PM, Kevvik said:

Welcome aboard, Warrior!  I also noticed that you finished the platinum on Shatae: Half-Genie Hero as well this week so tallied you in at 6 titles.

The Guacamelee games actually have separate and distinct trophy lists rather than just identical lists on multiple systems so I left them both in when I inherited the PP.

Adding more games is likely but with a lot of them coming out over the last year, the PP was going to get extremely big.  I hoped to come up with a way of splitting it into 2 manageable PPs with the Metroidvania theme but didn't come up with a manageable way (ie fantasy vs everything else) and sort of got distracted with life/gaming and forgot about it. If anyone has an idea feel free to let me know.

With the huge impending influx of Metroidvania, it's going to be hard to not make this PP absolutely massive, so I have a few ideas. Sorry for the long post in advance!

Idea 1: Sci-Fi and Fantasy 

Quick glance at what this could look like below. Bolded games are not in the PP or not released but would make sense. I've listed only games with plats below.

I've basically defined sci-fi as robots/lasers guns (I think what is "sci-fi" can be roughly agreed upon) while fantasy would be everything else.

Sci-Fi (9)

Aegis Defenders

Axiom Verge

Dead Cells

Headlander

Rabi-Ribi

Shadow Complex Mastered

Strider

Teslagrad

Timespinner

Fantasy (15)

Apotheon

Chasm

Dust

Guacamelee

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Guacamelee 2

Heart Forth, Alicia

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

The Mummy Demastered

Salt & Sanctuary

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shantae: Half Genie Hero

Sundered

Yoku's Island Express

The benefits to this approach:

- The game list gets split roughly 1/3-2/3, which isn't so bad since we were never going to be able to cut it 50-50. One 10 game PP and one 15 game PP both seem manageable. 

- Fantasy can probably be subdivided again if it becomes too big since it's such a broad category. But right now it isn't particular obvious how to me. 

The cons are:

- There are so many metroidvanias being released, there's a good chance these would have to be subdivided again. Could end up being a lot of work. 

Idea 2: Super Plat Rank

An idea inspired by the Shonen Jump PP in its previous iteration, which you can find here. Current PPs have 5 ranks: hidden, bronze, silver, gold, platinum. The original Shonen Jump PP (since it was also massive) created 4 more ranks: plat+bronze, plat+silver, plat+gold, super plat. 

So for example, let's say our PP has 30 games. Under the current system, we could say that rank requirements are 0 plats, 7 plats, 15 plats, 22 plats, 30 plats. Moving up a rank requires getting 7 plats, which is a lot and demotivating.

Under the 9-rank system, you could do: 0 plats, 4 plats, 8 plats, 12 plats, 16 plats, 20 plats, 24 plats, 28 plats, 30 plats. This is a far more manageable 4 plats per person.

Pros of this approach:

- You don't have to split up this PP, which would be a lot of work.

- This approach is scalable - if somehow this gets to 100 games, you can just add more layers of 4 ranks.

- People will be more motivated to move up the ranks due to the better sense of progression. Getting a nicer emblem after 4 plats feels better than 7 plats in the example above. For example, I have 8 plats in this PP now, but getting to that platinum rank at 14 plats and knowing that many more games are going to be added just feels like a lot.

Cons:

- People will have to keep track of a huge number of games for a single PP, but presumably those of us who are still active in this thread are doing this anyway. 

You could just split it into games that are more like Metroid and games that are more like Castlevania.

While these two game series did inspire all these games. There are differences between those two series. So maybe trying to determine whether a game is more Metroid like or more Castlevania like and split it that way.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:32 PM, Mah2c said:

Forgot to update me :P I'm now a connoisseur with 8. Adding axiom Verge and Odin sphere xD

Will chasm be added? Planning on getting this one soon. 

Oh and I want the fancy rogue legacy badge too :P

Promoted and badged!  Awesome work!

On 8/3/2018 at 3:06 PM, soultaker655 said:

You could just split it into games that are more like Metroid and games that are more like Castlevania.

While these two game series did inspire all these games. There are differences between those two series. So maybe trying to determine whether a game is more Metroid like or more Castlevania like and split it that way.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:52 PM, sundrew said:

With the huge impending influx of Metroidvania, it's going to be hard to not make this PP absolutely massive, so I have a few ideas. Sorry for the long post in advance!

Idea 1: Sci-Fi and Fantasy 

Quick glance at what this could look like below. Bolded games are not in the PP or not released but would make sense. I've listed only games with plats below.

I've basically defined sci-fi as robots/lasers guns (I think what is "sci-fi" can be roughly agreed upon) while fantasy would be everything else.

Sci-Fi (9)

Aegis Defenders

Axiom Verge

Dead Cells

Headlander

Rabi-Ribi

Shadow Complex Mastered

Strider

Teslagrad

Timespinner

Fantasy (15)

Apotheon

Chasm

Dust

Guacamelee

Guacamelee 2

Heart Forth, Alicia

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

The Mummy Demastered

Salt & Sanctuary

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shantae: Half Genie Hero

Sundered

Yoku's Island Express

The benefits to this approach:

- The game list gets split roughly 1/3-2/3, which isn't so bad since we were never going to be able to cut it 50-50. One 10 game PP and one 15 game PP both seem manageable. 

- Fantasy can probably be subdivided again if it becomes too big since it's such a broad category. But right now it isn't particular obvious how to me. 

The cons are:

- There are so many metroidvanias being released, there's a good chance these would have to be subdivided again. Could end up being a lot of work. 

Idea 2: Super Plat Rank

An idea inspired by the Shonen Jump PP in its previous iteration, which you can find here. Current PPs have 5 ranks: hidden, bronze, silver, gold, platinum. The original Shonen Jump PP (since it was also massive) created 4 more ranks: plat+bronze, plat+silver, plat+gold, super plat. 

So for example, let's say our PP has 30 games. Under the current system, we could say that rank requirements are 0 plats, 7 plats, 15 plats, 22 plats, 30 plats. Moving up a rank requires getting 7 plats, which is a lot and demotivating.

Under the 9-rank system, you could do: 0 plats, 4 plats, 8 plats, 12 plats, 16 plats, 20 plats, 24 plats, 28 plats, 30 plats. This is a far more manageable 4 plats per person.

Pros of this approach:

- You don't have to split up this PP, which would be a lot of work.

- This approach is scalable - if somehow this gets to 100 games, you can just add more layers of 4 ranks.

- People will be more motivated to move up the ranks due to the better sense of progression. Getting a nicer emblem after 4 plats feels better than 7 plats in the example above. For example, I have 8 plats in this PP now, but getting to that platinum rank at 14 plats and knowing that many more games are going to be added just feels like a lot.

Cons:

- People will have to keep track of a huge number of games for a single PP, but presumably those of us who are still active in this thread are doing this anyway. 

Good ideas and I'll try to get something going by the fall.  I like the idea of mid-ranks (sort of like Tae-Kwon-Do stripes) for a larger PP though a couple of the games you listed as additions I wouldn't include...

Momodora (no plat, already included in the 100% games for super plat)

Aegis Defenders (what I'm reading is far more tower defense than Metroidvania)

Dead Cells (while it claims to be Castlevania inspired, I'm not sold yet on it coming in here, maybe once I see more)

I would like to see more on Chasm as well, not totally sold on it yet, feels more like Spelunky than Metroidvania.

Guacamelee 2, Mummy and Rabi-Ribi all look good

Heart Forth Alicia definitely looks good but I didn't see a release date yet so it will stay in the pending list; likewise Timespinner

Touhou Double Focus is one I would definitely need to add as well unless there is a Touhou PP that I missed?

More suggestions welcome!  Likewise titles that I may not have noticed for both plats and 100% titles

On 8/4/2018 at 8:21 PM, Kevvik said:

Good ideas and I'll try to get something going by the fall.  I like the idea of mid-ranks (sort of like Tae-Kwon-Do stripes) for a larger PP though a couple of the games you listed as additions I wouldn't include...

Momodora (no plat, already included in the 100% games for super plat)

Aegis Defenders (what I'm reading is far more tower defense than Metroidvania)

Dead Cells (while it claims to be Castlevania inspired, I'm not sold yet on it coming in here, maybe once I see more)

I would like to see more on Chasm as well, not totally sold on it yet, feels more like Spelunky than Metroidvania.

Guacamelee 2, Mummy and Rabi-Ribi all look good

Heart Forth Alicia definitely looks good but I didn't see a release date yet so it will stay in the pending list; likewise Timespinner

Touhou Double Focus is one I would definitely need to add as well unless there is a Touhou PP that I missed?

More suggestions welcome!  Likewise titles that I may not have noticed for both plats and 100% titles

Cool - thanks for the feedback! My bad on Momodora :) and I see your concerns on Aegis Defenders. I do think Dead Cells and Chasm fit better given gameplay videos that I've seen, but I do see your concerns.

In terms of other game suggestions, I would also throw out:

Forma.8

Unepic (I think this has been suggested by someone else in this thread before)

Looking forward to what you come up with for the PP ranks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I like Metroidvania. I mean, obviously. I wish to join!

Um, let's see... I have the following platinums:

1. Axiom Verge
  2. Dust: An Elysian Tail
  3. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
  4. Salt and Sanctuary
  5. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  6. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

I guess that makes me a Metroidvania Warrior

On 8/9/2018 at 9:14 AM, sundrew said:

Cool - thanks for the feedback! My bad on Momodora :) and I see your concerns on Aegis Defenders. I do think Dead Cells and Chasm fit better given gameplay videos that I've seen, but I do see your concerns.

In terms of other game suggestions, I would also throw out:

Forma.8

Unepic (I think this has been suggested by someone else in this thread before)

Looking forward to what you come up with for the PP ranks!

Forma.8 and Unepic both look promising so they will definitely be considered.

13 hours ago, Paleblood said:

What about Dead Cells and Death's Gambit?

J

As I stated above, I'm not sold on Dead Cells yet but still open-minded on it at the moment though leaning away from it.  Death's Gambit looks much more 2D Souls-like than Metroidvania from what I have seen and read so unlikely ATM.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:06 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

I've platted both Apotheon and Dust, which brings my total from 2 to 4 games completed. Time to upgrade to Metroidvania Warrior :dance: .

Promotion registered!  Great job and keep up the exploring!

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Hey, I like Metroidvania. I mean, obviously. I wish to join!

Um, let's see... I have the following platinums:

1. Axiom Verge
  2. Dust: An Elysian Tail
  3. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
  4. Salt and Sanctuary
  5. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  6. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

I guess that makes me a Metroidvania Warrior

On 8/9/2018 at 10:28 AM, ivangutjahr said:

Hi,

Can you please put me on the list?

100%/Platinum:

Teslagrad

Dust: An Elysian Tail

In the backlog:

Axiom Verge

Salt and Sanctuary PS4 or Vita

Sundered

On 8/6/2018 at 5:40 PM, BlazikieronUS said:

Sign me up, I've done both guacamelee lists and teslagrad

Welcome to our new participants! You have all been added.  Welcome aboard!

• Like 1