[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

On 8/7/2017 at 0:01 PM, JoaoQuique said:

After a long time, I'm back... I've completed Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, and I think this game is eligible because of a considerable amount of roaming in the Hidden Leaf Village (despite being named as a "village", I can say that's a city... - mainly in Boruto era) - out the fact that some battle stages are in Hidden Leaf of Hidden Sand...

If this game is considered eligible, then I should receive August's Platinum Grade, a Golden Star for "Another event" challenge (this game was submitted on "A Casual Attack on Your Backlog") and Hardcore challenge (there are also stages and/or roaming in forests and deserts). Since I had completed "Road to Boruto" DLC on July, I should NOT receive DLC challenge's Golden Star.

Updated stats:

Platinum trophies: +27

100% completed: +21

Completion: +2.46%

Updated. Can't speak for that game in particular, but I'd definitely call the villages in Naruto cities.

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I 100%ed Whispering Willows, and I'm going to need your opinions on if it counts for the theme.

Why it would not count: The gameplay is entirely set on the grounds of a single decrepit mansion, including gardens, guest house, catacombs et cetera. Not really a city.

Why it would count: Said mansion was built by the founder and first mayor of the city where the player character lives, and the story (shown through the finding of diary pages of several characters) is about the years surrounding the founding of the city, including nasty stuff the founder did like having Native Americans murdered, in contrast to how he is portrayed in the player character's history classes, where the city's founder is naturally portrayed like a saint. As such, while we never "see" a city in-game, the mansion (and its grounds) the game is set on is part of a city and the founding/founder of that city is what the whole story is about.

On 4-8-2017 at 9:10 PM, SyIaris said:

@BillyHorrible Octodad is well known for having crazy controls - no thank you.  :P

Bah, there's nothing wrong with indies or AAA games. Play what you want, it's the enjoyment that counts. I haven't heard of those because r/nintendoswitch apparently hasn't been talking about them, but they seem to like indies just fine over there. Seems like a good method... I don't tend to buy anything outside of bundles or sales anymore; too much stuff to play as is.

Updated you and moved you back to the main section. Don't worry about plats, just have fun. Silver's still shiny enough.

November isn't decided, so who knows there. South Park might count for October, I don't know enough about it to make a solid guess.

Elite Dangerous looks a bit like what I've seen of Rebel Galaxy - rated better on Steam as well, and it was a PS+ freebie a while back, if you ever want to check it out.

Finished The Deadly Tower of Monsters last night, started it in large part due to your suggestion - fun game once you're into the second chapter, even if the final boss fight is weird. Thanks.  ^_^

The crazy controls of Octodad are the whole point of the game though :)

Thanks for putting me in the main list again. South Park counting for October would depend on how you're going to interpret the "Halloween" theme. If it's about dressing up - The second South Park game (just like the first one) will have you dressing up your character, only the second game is about pretending to be super heroes while the first game was about playing fantasy characters. I should add that because I've pre-ordered the new South Park game, I'm also getting the PS4 version of the first game for free.

Rebel Galaxy is on my backlog list, I've indeed obtained it through PS+.

Yeah I didn't really like the final chapter of Deadly Tower but I still enjoyed the game as a whole a lot.

On 4-8-2017 at 9:32 PM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

@BillyHorrible, about No Man's Sky. Thanks for the heads up! :) I think it will stay in my backlog for a long time yet anyway what with all of the massive 200 hour games that I've got to play. I'm looking at you Witcher 3! :D Nice to see you back on the Forums again anyway, even if it's just for bits and bobs.

Just get over here in Elite Dangerous, that game is amazing xD

Witcher 3 was great, still have to do the final DLC.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:04 AM, BillyHorrible said:

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I 100%ed Whispering Willows, and I'm going to need your opinions on if it counts for the theme.

Why it would not count: The gameplay is entirely set on the grounds of a single decrepit mansion, including gardens, guest house, catacombs et cetera. Not really a city.

Why it would count: Said mansion was built by the founder and first mayor of the city where the player character lives, and the story (shown through the finding of diary pages of several characters) is about the years surrounding the founding of the city, including nasty stuff the founder did like having Native Americans murdered, in contrast to how he is portrayed in the player character's history classes, where the city's founder is naturally portrayed like a saint. As such, while we never "see" a city in-game, the mansion (and its grounds) the game is set on is part of a city and the founding/founder of that city is what the whole story is about.

The crazy controls of Octodad are the whole point of the game though :)

Thanks for putting me in the main list again. South Park counting for October would depend on how you're going to interpret the "Halloween" theme. If it's about dressing up - The second South Park game (just like the first one) will have you dressing up your character, only the second game is about pretending to be super heroes while the first game was about playing fantasy characters. I should add that because I've pre-ordered the new South Park game, I'm also getting the PS4 version of the first game for free.

Rebel Galaxy is on my backlog list, I've indeed obtained it through PS+.

Yeah I didn't really like the final chapter of Deadly Tower but I still enjoyed the game as a whole a lot.

I'd say no on Whispering Willows, personally. Similar reasons I'm not counting the game I just beat - theoretically, there's even multiple cities, I just never really see any of them...

Good game though, even if WW is short. Hope you enjoyed it.  :)

I'd just gotten off of CastleStorm, Contrast, Blood Knights, and Assassin's Creed Unity. More frustrating controls sounded pretty awful. :P

October has multiple options anyway, so it would also depend on the winner.

Seemed a little out of place, didn't it? The levels weren't bad, but the boss/ending was just... odd.

Got the platinum for Lego Movie: The Videogame. Several city based levels, a few in the back country, clouds and others. I think it's good enough to count for the regular monthly but not enough other stuff to qualify hardcore.

Also completed the platinum for Swapquest but the closest you get to a city is a level set in a village so I don't think it qualifies.

Both not bad games but nothing special either way.  Working on Sorcery Saga for the Weeblympics but it likewise wouldn't qualify for this month.  Maybe I'll get through Ultra Despair Girls with its city setting. We'll see.

13 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Got the platinum for Lego Movie: The Videogame. Several city based levels, a few in the back country, clouds and others. I think it's good enough to count for the regular monthly but not enough other stuff to qualify hardcore.

Also completed the platinum for Swapquest but the closest you get to a city is a level set in a village so I don't think it qualifies.

Both not bad games but nothing special either way.  Working on Sorcery Saga for the Weeblympics but it likewise wouldn't qualify for this month.  Maybe I'll get through Ultra Despair Girls with its city setting. We'll see.

Nice work, got you updated.

Dealing with the song on the results screen for the whole game should count as hardcore on its own. xD

Sorcery Saga looks like something my sister would've loved, art-wise - don't think she ever tried an SRPG, though. Any good?

Play whatever you want, but feel free to make me jealous. I want to try out Danganronpa.  :P

21 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Sorcery Saga looks like something my sister would've loved, art-wise - don't think she ever tried an SRPG, though. Any good?

Play whatever you want, but feel free to make me jealous. I want to try out Danganronpa.  :P

Sorcery Saga isn't an SRPG. It's more of a 2.5D dungeon crawler sans party. It's almost a turn-based hack and slash. I enjoyed the main story which is really fun, doesn't take itself seriously at all. Art-wise, it's great. I'm into the grind now for the last trophies. Me and RNG though, we aren't close friends.

Danganronpa is great. Ultra Despair Girls is a different take from the usual as a 3rd person shooter vice the traditional trial gameplay of the main series but still maintains the charm and violence level. Sort of a way to fill in backstory between 1 and 2.

Forgot to post the other day. I platted Infamous First Light which is set in Seattle. The city is bordered by the ocean on one side. You can fall in and die, but that's the scope of interaction so not sure if it counts for hardcore. 

I also got the :platinum: for inFamous First Light today.

As Hemiak already said it's set in Seattle with an ocean. The end of the game is in a mountain region but you are only there for about 10 minutes of the game.

It's on you to decide wether to count it for HC or not.

It's a bit short but a good game. The arenas were a good way to bring something new to inFamous, although I only played Second Son before. Maybe something like the arenas were in inFamous 1 or 2.

That was game #3 for me this month. Next I try to finish Saints Row IV: Re-Elected.

...I think I might actually use my skip for this month (but still thinking about it), I don't really currently have any plat games set in cities that I can think of and that I feel like playing at this point, except the Yakuza games and that would most likely take me longer to plat than is left of the event x3

...i guess Neptunia mk2 would count? You visit various cities of the nations during the game and there's a "share system" mechanic involving cities

Edited by Zanreo

On 8/14/2017 at 6:19 AM, Kevvik said:

Sorcery Saga isn't an SRPG. It's more of a 2.5D dungeon crawler sans party. It's almost a turn-based hack and slash. I enjoyed the main story which is really fun, doesn't take itself seriously at all. Art-wise, it's great. I'm into the grind now for the last trophies. Me and RNG though, we aren't close friends.

Danganronpa is great. Ultra Despair Girls is a different take from the usual as a 3rd person shooter vice the traditional trial gameplay of the main series but still maintains the charm and violence level. Sort of a way to fill in backstory between 1 and 2.

My bad, I was going off screenshots. Looked like a grid-based strategy RPG. Sounds like I should look into it, thanks for the info!

RNG is always annoying when it's a long-term thing. Always.  :P

Shame they're so expensive, though. Going to have to wait until I have Gamefly active again.

@Hemiak

@MarkusT1992

Updated you both, plus a HC star. Seems like it should be prevalent enough to count.

For Saints Row, I'd strongly suggest getting the Warden kills for the trophy and challenge done before you clear the map or buy all the "increase alert cooldown" or whatever skills. It's so much harder to grind them out afterwards.

15 hours ago, Zanreo said:

...I think I might actually use my skip for this month (but still thinking about it), I don't really currently have any plat games set in cities that I can think of and that I feel like playing at this point, except the Yakuza games and that would most likely take me longer to plat than is left of the event x3

...i guess Neptunia mk2 would count? You visit various cities of the nations during the game and there's a "share system" mechanic involving cities

Still plenty of time to decide. Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be a trophy game - just has to fit the theme.

Spoiler

Q: Can I earn a platinum rank for a game that I played on a non-Sony console?

A: In certain cases, yes. 

A platinum rank can be awarded for games that have a platinum trophy but are played on a different platform. This requires the other platform to have the same achievement list as PSN. In case a game has a set of achievements different to the PSN trophies, or features no trophies at all on Sony consoles but does on another platform, usually a gold rank will be given out upon 100% completion. Exceptions can be made if a set of achievements proves to be hard or time intensive enough that it would get a platinum trophy, would it ever be released on Sony consoles. In these cases, ask about it in the thread.

Yeah, Yakuza's definitely grindy...

Sounds like Neptunia should fit. I don't really know anything about the games.

30 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

For Saints Row, I'd strongly suggest getting the Warden kills for the trophy and challenge done before you clear the map or buy all the "increase alert cooldown" or whatever skills. It's so much harder to grind them out afterwards.

This is another game I completed on the 360, but I can't remember how difficult it was to farm them late. In Gat out of Hell it took about 2 minutes to spawn a Warden.

Do you know if the trophies from the DLCs are glitched? On the 360, in the German version the achivements were mixed up in Enter the Dominatrix.

For example the trophy "Indomitable" for comleting the last mission without dying was "Health Inspector" for deastroying all green polyps inside Paul.

I was very confused that I didn't get the "Indoitable" achivement despite completing the mission like 5 times.

I hope they aren't mixed up on PS4.

10 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

This is another game I completed on the 360, but I can't remember how difficult it was to farm them late. In Gat out of Hell it took about 2 minutes to spawn a Warden.

Do you know if the trophies from the DLCs are glitched? On the 360, in the German version the achivements were mixed up in Enter the Dominatrix.

For example the trophy "Indomitable" for comleting the last mission without dying was "Health Inspector" for deastroying all green polyps inside Paul.

I was very confused that I didn't get the "Indoitable" achivement despite completing the mission like 5 times.

I hope they aren't mixed up on PS4.

I first played it on PC and left it for last. Never got the achievements because it was such a pain to get/keep the notoriety up enough to spawn them. Did it earlier during the game on PS3 and it was much easier.

Far as I know, the only buggy trophy is for getting all upgrades. Don't remember having any problems when I played.

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

I first played it on PC and left it for last. Never got the achievements because it was such a pain to get/keep the notoriety up enough to spawn them. Did it earlier during the game on PS3 and it was much easier.

Far as I know, the only buggy trophy is for getting all upgrades. Don't remember having any problems when I played.

IIRC this glitch was only on the German version of the game.

I just checked my stats. Shouldn't the two stars be blue? A gold star is for a 100% game, isn't it? Both my addional games were :platinum: games with Walking Dead Season 3 and inFamous First Light.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

IIRC this glitch was only on the German version of the game.

I just checked my stats. Shouldn't the two stars be blue? A gold star is for a 100% game, isn't it? Both my addional games were :platinum: games with Walking Dead Season 3 and inFamous First Light.

:facepalm:

Thanks for catching that. I make that mistake every single time, but usually fix it before submitting the edit. Think it's because the challenges are all gold.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

On 13-8-2017 at 2:51 AM, SyIaris said:

I'd say no on Whispering Willows, personally. Similar reasons I'm not counting the game I just beat - theoretically, there's even multiple cities, I just never really see any of them...

Good game though, even if WW is short. Hope you enjoyed it.  :)

Well, I thought Whispering Willows would count because while not seeing the city itself, it is constantly there in the story, but I get it if you wish to keep it like that.

Yeah Whispering WIllows was an enjoyable game. A bit too short, a bit too easy, a bit too predictable but whatever, it was a fun ride.

I just bought Darksiders 1&2 in the sale, I guess that first one counts for city? Won't give me a gold/platinum but it will give me a better game to use as a silver. I've also still got Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on pre-order for next week and I've got enough free time and spare money that I think I'll just actually get it, even though I've got a bunch of expensive game purchases in October with Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Odyssey and South Park (that's not yet counting Middle-earth, which I will probably skip on - their fault for releasing in such a busy month).

I'd just gotten off of CastleStorm, Contrast, Blood Knights, and Assassin's Creed Unity. More frustrating controls sounded pretty awful. :P

Octodad's controls are a lot of fun though, and it's a very relaxing game regardless of the controls.

October has multiple options anyway, so it would also depend on the winner.

I'll make sure to check in to see what's what!

Seemed a little out of place, didn't it? The levels weren't bad, but the boss/ending was just... odd.

I thought the ending with the final boss of the movie was pretty good, everything after became a bit too meta. I like media that's meta usually, but somehow this didn't really do it for me, perhaps because it was still a game pretending to be a DVD that goes meta instead of actually going game-meta or a film that goes meta.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

Sorry guys, I've been super busy this month what with nearly moving, stressing about moving and then decorating for two weeks so I haven't had time to update as I've needed a laptop for that, and I only have my iPad at the moment. @MarkusT1992, that's right the poll should be up by now and I shall do it in the morning as I can use the laptop again, sorry again for the delay. 

17 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Sorry guys, I've been super busy this month what with nearly moving, stressing about moving and then decorating for two weeks so I haven't had time to update as I've needed a laptop for that, and I only have my iPad at the moment. @MarkusT1992, that's right the poll should be up by now and I shall do it in the morning as I can use the laptop again, sorry again for the delay.

No problem. I was just wondering about it.

• Like 1

Guys we need your help!:highfive:

We haven't had enough suggestions to be able to do a poll for next months Random theme so we need you to give @SyIaris and I loads of suggestions so we can do a poll for you!

I think we will give it 24 hours to see what you all come up with and then the poll will be up for you all to vote on!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Guys we need your help!:highfive:

We haven't had enough suggestions to be able to do a poll for next months Random theme so we need you to give @SyIaris and I loads of suggestions so we can do a poll for you!

I think we will give it 24 hours to see what you all come up with and then the poll will be up for you all to vote on!

Weren't you going to use all previous suggestions as well? In the OP are all possible suggestion, new and old. That should be enough.

But if you stil need more: Games with animals as main character. HC: It must be a special type like mammal or reptile. Or a second HC idea: It must be a non personified animal.

6 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Weren't you going to use all previous suggestions as well? In the OP are all possible suggestion, new and old. That should be enough.

But if you stil need more: Games with animals as main character. HC: It must be a special type like mammal or reptile. Or a second HC idea: It must be a non personified animal.

Yeah, I think we wanted to just get some new ones so it would be fresh and I also think the suggestions in the OP are back up but I also think we will put them in so we have a varied selection, if @SyIaris agrees. But regardless, we still wanted to ask for some theme ideas so everyone could have a say! :P 

Thank you for the suggestion! I've noted it down in the OP! :) 

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 1

I just gathered them all up because we've had "I liked ___'s idea from last time, I want to nominate it" show up more than once, and I thought having everything in one place after the thread move would be helpful. Didn't have any plans beyond making them visible.  :dunno:

The only thing against using them all is a couple weren't especially popular. Doesn't really matter to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

I just gathered them all up because we've had "I liked ___'s idea from last time, I want to nominate it" show up more than once, and I thought having everything in one place after the thread move would be helpful. Didn't have any plans beyond making them visible.  :dunno:

The only thing against using them all is a couple weren't especially popular. Doesn't really matter to me.

Yeah I thought that's why they were there. We could just add them all, as they were suggested and I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out, and just see what happens in the randomiser. :hmm: That way everyone's suggestions get a fair shot. What do you think?

On 8/18/2017 at 1:16 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Well, I thought Whispering Willows would count because while not seeing the city itself, it is constantly there in the story, but I get it if you wish to keep it like that.

Yeah Whispering WIllows was an enjoyable game. A bit too short, a bit too easy, a bit too predictable but whatever, it was a fun ride.

I just bought Darksiders 1&2 in the sale, I guess that first one counts for city? Won't give me a gold/platinum but it will give me a better game to use as a silver. I've also still got Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on pre-order for next week and I've got enough free time and spare money that I think I'll just actually get it, even though I've got a bunch of expensive game purchases in October with Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Odyssey and South Park (that's not yet counting Middle-earth, which I will probably skip on - their fault for releasing in such a busy month).

Octodad's controls are a lot of fun though, and it's a very relaxing game regardless of the controls.

I'll make sure to check in to see what's what!

I thought the ending with the final boss of the movie was pretty good, everything after became a bit too meta. I like media that's meta usually, but somehow this didn't really do it for me, perhaps because it was still a game pretending to be a DVD that goes meta instead of actually going game-meta or a film that goes meta.

Sorry... got a second opinion and they thought the same. Think it's staying off.

Darksiders looks like it should count, from a random youtube trailer.

This fall certainly has its share of major releases. Tons of goodies coming out.

Might give it a go sometime, since I own it anyway.  :)

The final boss fight was a bit too confusing for me. Maybe I'm just an idiot; I had to look it up because it seemed like I did things entirely wrong.  :P

Definitely too meta.

7 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Yeah I thought that's why they were there. We could just add them all, as they were suggested and I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out, and just see what happens in the randomiser. :hmm: That way everyone's suggestions get a fair shot. What do you think?

Fine with me, as long as anything that gets specifically mentioned this month gets extra entries.

• Like 1

Just now, SyIaris said:

Sorry... got a second opinion and they thought the same. Think it's staying off.

Darksiders looks like it should count, from a random youtube trailer.

This fall certainly has its share of major releases. Tons of goodies coming out.

Might give it a go sometime, since I own it anyway.  :)

The final boss fight was a bit too confusing for me. Maybe I'm just an idiot; I had to look it up because it seemed like I did things entirely wrong.  :P

Definitely too meta.

Fine with me, as long as anything that gets specifically mentioned this month gets extra entries.

That's good with me! :P 

• Like 1