[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

On 21-8-2017 at 0:44 AM, SyIaris said:

Sorry... got a second opinion and they thought the same. Think it's staying off.

Oh I didn't need a second opinion, I accepted your previous explanation as a valid one :) I was just saying why I thought it could count and how I accept the "city has to be shown in game-play" bit.

Darksiders looks like it should count, from a random youtube trailer.

This fall certainly has its share of major releases. Tons of goodies coming out.

Might give it a go sometime, since I own it anyway.  :)

I've played the intro of Darksiders now and it's set in a city under attack from angels and demons, so I guess it should count. Though I've just realised that Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is releasing tomorrow, which I want to play as well. I think it's partially set in a city as well though I'm not sure as I haven't researched every bid of information that has come out on the game.

Which title are you talking about with that last line? Darksiders, Octodad or something else?

The final boss fight was a bit too confusing for me. Maybe I'm just an idiot; I had to look it up because it seemed like I did things entirely wrong.  :P

Definitely too meta.

It wasn't confusing to me but that doesn't mean I greatly enjoyed it :)

Okay everyone, the poll for September's Random Theme is now up! Voting will close on the 1st of September, with the results being posted and sorted by the 2nd of September. Sorry it took so long, this months gone by way to fast! :o 

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Oh I didn't need a second opinion, I accepted your previous explanation as a valid one :) I was just saying why I thought it could count and how I accept the "city has to be shown in game-play" bit.

I've played the intro of Darksiders now and it's set in a city under attack from angels and demons, so I guess it should count. Though I've just realised that Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is releasing tomorrow, which I want to play as well. I think it's partially set in a city as well though I'm not sure as I haven't researched every bid of information that has come out on the game.

Which title are you talking about with that last line? Darksiders, Octodad or something else?

It wasn't confusing to me but that doesn't mean I greatly enjoyed it :)

Eh, back when offering to help with the thread I mentioned I'm not great at those judgement calls. I'm doing my best to be fair, and sometimes that means checking with other people.

No idea on Uncharted, but I assume both games are pretty short if you're just going for the story. Should both be pretty enjoyable, too.  :)

Octodad, but it could apply to either. Can't remember why I haven't started Darksiders, I know I've thought about it but gone for other stuff more than once...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Eh, back when offering to help with the thread I mentioned I'm not great at those judgement calls. I'm doing my best to be fair, and sometimes that means checking with other people.

No idea on Uncharted, but I assume both games are pretty short if you're just going for the story. Should both be pretty enjoyable, too.  :)

Octodad, but it could apply to either. Can't remember why I haven't started Darksiders, I know I've thought about it but gone for other stuff more than once...

You have Octodad in your backlog and you have not played it yet? SAY WAAAAAAAAAAT...

Please, next time you want to start a new game, just start Octodad. It's short so it's a quick way of decreasing your backlog, and it's very funny. If you got past the Supermarket and you still don't like it, you can give up.

On a side note, @RizzleAbbey12 and @SyIaris, I'm walking back home from buying Uncharted now and I realised I'm also getting the PS2-to-PS4 port of Jak And Daxter. Would it count for the city theme? It has a couple of villages, and it has the Lost Precursor City - which does not look like a city at all but it's called a city in-game nontheless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

You have Octodad in your backlog and you have not played it yet? SAY WAAAAAAAAAAT...

Please, next time you want to start a new game, just start Octodad. It's short so it's a quick way of decreasing your backlog, and it's very funny. If you got past the Supermarket and you still don't like it, you can give up.

On a side note, @RizzleAbbey12 and @SyIaris, I'm walking back home from buying Uncharted now and I realised I'm also getting the PS2-to-PS4 port of Jak And Daxter. Would it count for the city theme? It has a couple of villages, and it has the Lost Precursor City - which does not look like a city at all but it's called a city in-game nontheless.

I keep telling her this, but she don't listen :lol:

I'm so jelly of you getting to play Jak and Daxter again! It's my favourite one! In answer to your question, I wouldn't count it per say as you never actually see the city or get to play in it. 

I hope you enjoy Uncharted though! It's gotten pretty good reviews so far so it sounds like your in for a treat! :) 

On 22.8.2017 at 10:26 AM, BillyHorrible said:

That's only the intro though. After that part you play in a post apocalyptic world. But IIRC there's still some city left. :P

20 hours ago, SyIaris said:

I could help with deciding if a game counts. I know many games, which could help with deciding. If you aren't sure about a game, just ask.

2 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I'm so jelly of you getting to play Jak and Daxter again! It's my favourite one! In answer to your question, I wouldn't count it per say as you never actually see the city or get to play in it.

Do you have a PS4? It's out today on PSN as part of the PS2 on PS4 emulation. It's 14,99€ in Europe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Do you have a PS4? It's out today on PSN as part of the PS2 on PS4 emulation. It's 14,99€ in Europe.

Yeah I've got a PS4 and I didn't think it was out on it own yet, as I thought it was just with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for now! Thanks for letting me know :) 

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I have so much in my backlog that could apply to, short or long or in between. That's why.  :P

Eh, maybe. I'm getting a bit burned out on events, so I'll probably start wandering to other platforms when a few run out.

Going to have to agree with Abbey, Jak seems a bit iffy for the theme.

14 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I keep telling her this, but she don't listen :lol:

But my RPGs~

10 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I could help with deciding if a game counts. I know many games, which could help with deciding. If you aren't sure about a game, just ask.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  :)

• Like 1

Well, I was trying to do Sonic Unleashed for this month, but then I got distracted by Ys Origin, and it's taking WAY longer than I expected. x_x

So, for this month, I'll use Resident Evil 6. Huge portions of the game take place in cities, primarily in China. It doesn't count for anything except the theme of the month though.

• Like 1

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I played through Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and I would like to use it for august :silver:.

Below, the trophy image for completing the game, and in the spoiler a breakdown of how many chapters the game has and how much of it is in a city.

2Saec123.png

Spoiler

A prologue, nine chapters and an epilogue. The prologue and the first two full chapters are all in a big modern city in India.

The rest of the game considers finding an ancient forgotten city, though I would not count the game for that as you seem to have 'modern' cities in mind for the theme, not ruins.

On 23/08/2017 at 11:57 AM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I hope you enjoy Uncharted though! It's gotten pretty good reviews so far so it sounds like your in for a treat! :) 

The level is actually called 'lost precursor city' but never mind, I won't get the platinum in time for the end of the month anyway :)

And I'm not psyched about playing Jak1 again, matter of fact it may stay in my backlog for a while. I played the trilogy after getting a PS3 but I didn't like it as much as when I played them on a nephew's PS2. I still like Jak1 but Jak2 and Jak3 were letdowns, and I will not be buying them for PS4 again. Glad I got the first game for free though, means I'll definitely play it again at some point.

Loved Uncharted, it's the best one yet (in my opinion)! The improved gameplay from U4, none of the Nate/Elena romantic plot tumour or Nate whining about wanting to quit, just plain old cool artifact hunting. They even have a cool villain (the one from U4 was mèh) and they made Nadine Ross likeable. I hope the next Uncharted game has Chloe Frazer and Charlie Cutter as the main duo.

17 hours ago, SyIaris said:

I have so much in my backlog that could apply to, short or long or in between. That's why.  :P

Eh, maybe. I'm getting a bit burned out on events, so I'll probably start wandering to other platforms when a few run out.

Oc-to-dad, Oc-to-dad!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 5:53 PM, ExHaseo said:

Well, I was trying to do Sonic Unleashed for this month, but then I got distracted by Ys Origin, and it's taking WAY longer than I expected. x_x

So, for this month, I'll use Resident Evil 6. Huge portions of the game take place in cities, primarily in China. It doesn't count for anything except the theme of the month though.

Happens like that sometimes. Ys is supposed to be good, from what I remember - hope you're enjoying it!

Updated you.

20 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I played through Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and I would like to use it for august :silver:.

Below, the trophy image for completing the game, and in the spoiler a breakdown of how many chapters the game has and how much of it is in a city.

2Saec123.png

Reveal hidden contents

A prologue, nine chapters and an epilogue. The prologue and the first two full chapters are all in a big modern city in India.

The rest of the game considers finding an ancient forgotten city, though I would not count the game for that as you seem to have 'modern' cities in mind for the theme, not ruins.

The level is actually called 'lost precursor city' but never mind, I won't get the platinum in time for the end of the month anyway :)

And I'm not psyched about playing Jak1 again, matter of fact it may stay in my backlog for a while. I played the trilogy after getting a PS3 but I didn't like it as much as when I played them on a nephew's PS2. I still like Jak1 but Jak2 and Jak3 were letdowns, and I will not be buying them for PS4 again. Glad I got the first game for free though, means I'll definitely play it again at some point.

Loved Uncharted, it's the best one yet (in my opinion)! The improved gameplay from U4, none of the Nate/Elena romantic plot tumour or Nate whining about wanting to quit, just plain old cool artifact hunting. They even have a cool villain (the one from U4 was mèh) and they made Nadine Ross likeable. I hope the next Uncharted game has Chloe Frazer and Charlie Cutter as the main duo.

Oc-to-dad, Oc-to-dad!

That was quick. Updated you.

That's pretty high praise for an already acclaimed series. Sounds great, too bad I'm still on the first one. Going to go back and try for the plat sometime, since it's "the best one yet", or are you going to stick to the nice casual gameplay you've been going for?

Jak 2 really changed from the first one. Not in a good way either, in my opinion...

We'll see.  :P

Platinum Rain's over today, that's the big restriction. Think the only other one really tying me to Playstation is the trophy grade one, and that's not as pressing.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

Small update: I've finished WRC 4. This game doesn't appear to be eligible, but some rallies cross small towns (mainly France and Mexico), so I will wait for your judgement.

If this game will be considered eligible, it will grant me just a Platinum Star for August (due to personal rules, no Golden Stars will be given to me).

Final stats update:

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +29

100% completed: +21

Completion: +2.78%

2 hours ago, JoaoQuique said:

Small update: I've finished WRC 4. This game doesn't appear to be eligible, but some rallies cross small towns (mainly France and Mexico), so I will wait for your judgement.

If this game will be considered eligible, it will grant me just a Platinum Star for August (due to personal rules, no Golden Stars will be given to me).

Final stats update:

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +29

100% completed: +21

Completion: +2.78%

Congrats on finishing WRC 4! :) Do some of the races take place in any city based tracks? I've googled WRC 4 and it says that a couple of tracks are based on the city of Cardiff in Wales and the city of Perth in Australia.

On 25/08/2017 at 4:49 PM, SyIaris said:

That was quick. Updated you.

Yeah it's not a big game if you know what to do. It's not full price either though, and with my first run taking just under seven hours according to the in-game timer, I really felt like I got my money's worth seeing as how much fun the game was.

That's pretty high praise for an already acclaimed series. Sounds great, too bad I'm still on the first one. 

Remember though that I thought the first three games were "mèh", like TLOU I thought it was mediocre gameplay saved by the fun Indiana Jones style plot, but Naughty Dog are taking themselves way too seriously. So U4 was the first Uncharted game I personally really liked.

Going to go back and try for the plat sometime, since it's "the best one yet", or are you going to stick to the nice casual gameplay you've been going for?

I'd say I'll definitely go for the platinum some time, after I casually played some more backlog games. I sold the game on (game store took it back for €30, so I both played it and obtained Jak1 for just €10) like I tend to do with games I buy day one, since after one playthrough I'm usually done for a while and I can get the game again in a year or two for much lass than what I sold it for and go for the platinum then, enjoying a second playthrough. That's what's keeping me from getting the platinum right now, really, I don't feel like doing a second playthrough right after a first one. Almost never feel like that. I've got Mario + Rabbids to play right now! New games often take priority over games I already experienced for me.

Jak 2 really changed from the first one. Not in a good way either, in my opinion...

Same here, they tried to mimick GTA while they had a perfectly good platformer and they ruined it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Same here, they tried to mimick GTA while they had a perfectly good platformer and they ruined it.

I liked Jak 2 and 3. Maybe it's because I got Jak 3 first at an event for 5€. After playing Jak 3 I bought Jak and Daxter and Jak 2 and didn't like Jak and Daxter as much as the third.

That's probably because I was used to the gameplay of Jak 3 though. I like GTA like games in general. Open worlds with missions from different people are always good in my book.

• Like 2

It's funny, I don't like GTA and most open world world games in general. However I love Jak 2.it's by far my favorite of the trilogy, and probably my favorite ps2 platformer, including the R&C games. 

I played and 100% the original on ps2, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't feel like it really did anything different or special. There were a ton of 3d platformers at the time, and nothing really set Jak 1 apart from the rest. I absolutely loved the changes they made to the game play and general tone of the story for 2/3.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I liked Jak 2 and 3. Maybe it's because I got Jak 3 first at an event for 5€. After playing Jak 3 I bought Jak and Daxter and Jak 2 and didn't like Jak and Daxter as much as the third.

That's probably because I was used to the gameplay of Jak 3 though. I like GTA like games in general. Open worlds with missions from different people are always good in my book.

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

It's funny, I don't like GTA and most open world world games in general. However I love Jak 2.it's by far my favorite of the trilogy, and probably my favorite ps2 platformer, including the R&C games. 

I played and 100% the original on ps2, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't feel like it really did anything different or special. There were a ton of 3d platformers at the time, and nothing really set Jak 1 apart from the rest. I absolutely loved the changes they made to the game play and general tone of the story for 2/3.

You see I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to the Jak and Daxter games as I loved Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and it's still to this day one of my favourite PS2 games. But where Jak 2 is concerned, it's still a pretty impressive game as you can definitely see that they upped the story and made the tone a lot darker to go along side it. However, it just seems like such a BIG jump from the sweetness and appeal of the first one and also seems to loose what was so great about the first one, like Billy said. Also the difficulty spikes do nothing but make an otherwise good game fustrating when it doesn't need to be. Jak 3 kind of takes it back a little and makes it better as they kind of mashed together the great parts and elements from The Precursor Legacy and Jak 2 which made Jak 3 a great and fun game to play.

5 hours ago, Official-ME- said:

Hi there @RizzleAbbey12 and @SyIaris .

Please put me in the -Inactive- tab.

Thanks in advance, Official-ME-

My stats are the same as last month. 2b07.png2b07.png2b07.png

STATS: Monthly Madness

Platinum (23)

100% (13)

Completion (85,64%)

Okay ive put you in the inactive tab. I hope everything's okay for you :) If you would like to be put back to the Active section then just let us know! :) 

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

Will update my stats tomorrow. Will also ask if I can use my last skip for the month. Hopefully I can manage to finish Unwritten Tales 2 tomorrow.

Okay, I'll look forward to updating you tomorrow! I think I'll have to use a skip as well for this month but I think Yonder may count so I'll have to see.

• Like 2

A disappointing month for me, as I failed to reach the theme at all. :(

or DID I?!? I think Cosmic Star Heroine might fill the bill, with all of cities, jungles, mountains, etc. Further, there are indeed cities in the mountains! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

A disappointing month for me, as I failed to reach the theme at all. :(

or DID I?!? I think Cosmic Star Heroine might fill the bill, with all of cities, jungles, mountains, etc. Further, there are indeed cities in the mountains! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Congrats on finishing Cosmic Star Heroine! I've updated your stat and I've counted it for the standard and hardcore requirements as, from what you said, it fits it pretty well! 

In other news, I've platinumed Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles! It has a city in it which is called Bobbintoff (it's so adorable and has a big ball of yarn in the middle of it to represent the Tailors Guild! :P) so I would count it for this months theme. Man, I've been slacking this month so it's just as well I had this nearly done other wise I would have had to have used a skip. Anyway, I think we know which one is going to be winning for next month so I'm going to start Kingdom Hearts this weekend and I can't wait! :D 

• Like 3

No idea what to shoot for for this coming month. Might just say screw it and use my 2nd skip. 

You play as young Nate in UC4 for one chapter if that counts? 

Edit: hmmmm, maybe I could use I Am Bread? The slice you play as can't be more than a week or two old. :awesome:

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1