e3 2017 reactions!

skinner49

45 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Their conference wasn't about games.

It was about 4K.

They had games...in 4K. Honestly not sure what you're trying to say here; yes they had a new system that was pushing 4K, and they showcased that through their games.

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Hard to argue with Nintendo's conference. I mean I'm too old to be into any of those games except for Metroid, but I know everybody's all about nostalgia and playing the same shit over and over again, so I'm happy for them. And I know that sounds sarcastic as hell but I really am. Nintendo just isn't for me anymore. It was a great way to hone my skills as a child, but I have moved on.

I hope this is some kind of post ironic meme and you're not so completely lacking in self awareness.

Anyone from any age group can find joy in something like Zelda, or a concept as simple but well executed as Kirby/Mario. There is more to a ''mature'' game than blood, guts and swearing.

Just now, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

I hope this is some kind of post ironic meme and you're not so completely lacking in self awareness.

Anyone from any age group can find joy in something like Zelda, or a concept as simple but well executed as Kirby/Mario. There is more to a ''mature'' game than blood, guts and swearing.

Buddy, believe whatever you want. Your opinion means nothing to me.

I would take it as a compliment if you felt the same about mine.

• Like 1

I'm most excited about Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS. Main series Pokémon for Switch was good news too.
Was hoping for Nintendo to reveal the next main series Animal Crossing game for Switch. The demand for the console would have gone through the roof. ?

3 hours ago, Parker said:

Well, that was a fantastic showing for Nintendo. I had lost a lot of faith in the company over the past two console generations but they've been slowly building my trust back with the Switch and with them confirming not only a core Pokemon RPG on the Switch, but a proper goddamn Metroid game, they've blown me away. I am a bit disappointed that the Fire Emblem game shown is a Warriors game but still, good job Nintendo. 

Parker

Nintendo did announce that a true Fire Emblem game will be coming to the Switch in 2018. This was back in January during the Switch reveal press conference. I'm surprised that they didn't show any gameplay or story trailer at E3 which leads me to suggest that it will be summer 2018 at the earliest that we will see this game.

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

tumblr_inline_orgrqmJlj01qe75xt_540.gif

Summarizes E3 pretty well.

Well, Nintendo did do more than stand by and watch though :)

I didn't see the other conferences as a whole myseld but I do feel like Sony is bringing a lot of cool exclusives to the table, even though the remake is the only one we did not know about yet.

Also, going to play devil's advocate here but Nintendo kind of HAD to show some new games for the Switch. Initial hype has died down; people who really wanted Zelda and Kart (and did not have a WiiU) have the console now. Now it's time to bring in the big guns and persuade the ones srill in doubt, and make the early adopters happy.

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Hard to argue with Nintendo's conference. I mean I'm too old to be into any of those games except for Metroid, but I know everybody's all about nostalgia and playing the same shit over and over again, so I'm happy for them. And I know that sounds sarcastic as hell but I really am. Nintendo just isn't for me anymore. It was a great way to hone my skills as a child, but I have moved on.

1 hour ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

Agree with @HaSoOoN-MHD here. Someone else called Nintendo "aimed at a young audience" as well, people apparently still don't get that "for kids" and "family friendly" are not the same thing. And everybody forgets that one of the best horror games ever, Eternal Darkness, was a Nintendo exclusive.

Also, disagree that Nintendo is the same shit all over again. Might have been at some point but the new Zelda really ahook up its franchise, and it looks like Mario will do so as well. And then there's all those other games by in-house developers...

They had games...in 4K. Honestly not sure what you're trying to say here; yes they had a new system that was pushing 4K, and they showcased that through their games.

I think the point there was that with Microsoft, the main pount was the new console and how good games looked on it, while with Sony, the main point was that they had games for which you had to be with a Sony console. But I could be mistaken @Satoshi Ookami

Welp, it's time to retire as a trophy hunter and sell my PS4 and Vita to get a Switch! xD (J/K)

But in all seriousness, the Nintendo E3 is really hyped - it has

1. A total 3DS remake of the very first Mario & Luigi game with a side-story with TRPG combat where you control the Goombas who are trying to rescue Bowser from becoming Bowletta. ^_^ I've seen Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of the original game and this is really awesome they are redoing this. They are trying to bring back the old fans and learned from how everyone hated Sticker Star and Color Splash.
  2. A Rabbids crossover with Mario where you fight in a TRPG grid combat where Mario and Peach(yes, PEACH!) shoot Metroid-style arm cannons at evil Rabbids and work with Rabbids dressed up as Mario characters. If they don't have the final boss be a Rabbid version of Bowser, I'll cut my tongue out and eat it! :P (Kidding!)
  3. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.., as Mr. Ishwata(or whohisname, I suck at the names) promised a Pokemon core game on the Switch, but it may not come out for a year. Generation 8 Pokemon anyone? ;)
  4. And, finally, of course, Super Mario Odyssey which shows how Mario uses his hat. Not only can he use it as a boomerang, he can BODILY POSSESS ALL SORTS OF THINGS AND USE THEM TO SOLVE PUZZLES!!! OMG :o

That's not to say Playstation sucks now - they are DOING A PS4 REMASTER OF SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS! Yep, this is probably going onto my trophy cabinet - I played the original and beat it but now I have a reason to dot he time attacks. :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think the point there was that with Microsoft, the main pount was the new console and how good games looked on it, while with Sony, the main point was that they had games for which you had to be with a Sony console. But I could be mistaken @Satoshi Ookami

Yea, pretty much this. 

Just add more 4K.

I must admit that I had high expectations for Sony's E3 conference this year. It was just a lacklustre experience... BUT, at least they showed off exclusives *cough MS cough* - but nothing new in particular. Hoping to see something much better at Gamescom and PSX later this year.

• I'm interested in looking more into the Until Dawn VR spinoff, The Inpatient.
  • Of course, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is something that I'm looking forward to play as well.
  • The gameplay from the new God of War and Imsomniac's Spider-Man just blew me away!
  • DETROIT: Become Human? Not convinced YET, but Quantic Dream always seem to find a way to arouse my curiosity.

I'm also really looking forward to see Supermassive Games' Hidden Agenda. That we will see it this year is just amazing.

I'm not quite sure about Knack 2. It comes out this september, but the first game was just really monotonous.

What I really wanted to see at this year's E3 was SuckerPunch's next game, FromSoftware's next game (Bloodborne 2), The Last of Us Part 2, a Spyro trilogy remaster and that the Crash games except for the original trilogy from PS1 and PS2 was ported to the PS4 at June 30th as well. An explanation of Death Stranding would be delightful as well as we have no idea of what it's about - nudey Reedus crying over a baby and some...dead whales... with Mads Mikkelsen and Del Toro in the game... right.

Looking forward to Gamescom this August and PSX in December! :awesome:

Lame E3, bold claims, Sony with the ''exclusive'' content on Destiny 2 and Microsoft with the 22 ''not really exclusives because only 7 of them not timed'' and the ''power of 4k'' but can't even run games in 60fps, no new ip exclusives from both of them, Gow looked really good tho, really love it. i guess Sony keep the really (really) good stuff for PSX.

Ubisoft won for me! and Nintendo.

• Like 2

Super Mario Odyssey coming in October!?! Madness.

Can't wait for that game. Looks very interesting and fun. 

Sony and Microsoft both had terrible conferences. I suppose we all expected too much but wait till next year. Sure it will be much better.  

The new Assassin's Creed disappointed me the most. I've been a fan since the first game and this one now has taken pretty much everything that made it an Assassin's Creed game away and replaced it with elements from other games. The Eagle to scout from Far Cry Primal, RPG combat and the skill tree just to name a few. 

On on the bright side the new Far Cry 5 looked amazing. Actually helpful AI friends and a dog companion is always a great recipe for a game :) 

All sounds good to me. :)

I don't know why so many are knocking the Sony conference, sure it wasn't the 'wow' show we've had for a few years, and apart from EA I thought all the conferences were pretty solid.   MH and SotC was a wow moment for me, but I actually really appreciated the new gameplay footage, Days Gone, GoW, Detroit and Spidey all looked great, and others, Uncharted etc...   I like to see new announcements as much as anyone, and we did get them, just not specifically at the Sony show, most of the stuff announced will be on PS4, Anthem, Metro, Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, LiS 2, Code Vein, A Way Out etc.., and all the games still to come, Shadow of War, FFXII, FFVII, Last of Us 2, Red Dead 2, Crash, SWBF 2, FC 5, AC Origins, Destiny 2, COD, and on and on.    Add to that what Sucker Punch and From and others are working on...

...let 'me' breathe, never mind my wallet.

I thought E3 was pretty good across the board, apart from EA, not that they did anything particularly wrong, just, sports games, racing gam....es...drifted off there...just give us Dead Space again, all will be forgiven EA!  lol

28 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

The new Assassin's Creed disappointed me the most. I've been a fan since the first game and this one now has taken pretty much everything that made it an Assassin's Creed game away and replaced it with elements from other games. The Eagle to scout from Far Cry Primal, RPG combat and the skill tree just to name a few. 

On on the bright side the new Far Cry 5 looked amazing. Actually helpful AI friends and a dog companion is always a great recipe for a game :) 

You and I seem to have very different opinions on what makes an AC game an AC game, because I thought Origins was getting more to the core of the matter than the series has ever been since after Brotherhood :) Then again I am less concerned with gameplay specifics and more with the setting, and the look and feel of the game. The early 1/2/Brotherhood games were very much about a member from a society long gone, standing amidst buildings and ruins from a society that was even longer gone, I missed that kind of thing from Revelations onwards, especially from III onwards. I think it's awesome that Origins is set in the time of Ptolemaic Egypt, while the stuff from Ancient Egypt was already passing on into legend.

Ah well, can't please everyone, I guess. Very excited for Origins myself.

Edited by BillyHorrible

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

You and I seem to have very different opinions on what makes an AC game an AC game, because I thought Origins was getting more to the core of the matter than the series has ever been since after Brotherhood :) Then again I am less concerned with gameplay specifics and more with the setting, and the look and feel of the game. The early 1/2/Brotherhood games were very much about a member from a society long gone, standing amidst buildings and ruins from a society that was even longer gone, I missed that kind of thing from Revelations onwards, especially from III onwards. I think it's awesome that Origins is set in the time of Ptolemaic Egypt, while the stuff from Ancient Egypt was already passing on into legend.

Ah well, can't please everyone, I guess. Very excited for Origins myself.

I like the time period it's set in as well. What I don't like is that Eagle vision is now literally the vision of an eagle instead of the usual. Or for example the combat being more similar to Dark Souls than the usual. 

Now you don't even have a hidden blade unless you spend skill points toward unlocking it. You don't have a minimap either which is ridiculous for a game of that scale and the weapons and armor look like they have to be looted from enemies. 

The setting seems great, the world amazing and I would have loved to see the origin story of the Assassins and Templars. 

However, AC has taken a turn into being a RPG now and I don't enjoy these kind of games. 

But I do get that they want to try new things since the last two games didn't do very well (which I don't get, I liked them both).

4 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

I like the time period it's set in as well. What I don't like is that Eagle vision is now literally the vision of an eagle instead of the usual.

Who's to say we don't have the actual Eagle Vision as well? And in-game, that vision was only for people with precursor blood.

Or for example the combat being more similar to Dark Souls than the usual. 

People were always complaining about the combat in the Assassin's Creed series though, they had to change something. More similar to the Batman Arkham games would have been better but I can live with what they went with, especially the time slowdown when aiming your bow, I always like it when games do that.

Now you don't even have a hidden blade unless you spend skill points toward unlocking it.

Don't know where you get that info from. From what I understand, you'll get the hidden blade but you will have to keep upgrading it with skill points if you want it to be effective against higher level enemies.

You don't have a minimap either which is ridiculous for a game of that scale

Have you considered that they turned the minimap off for the presentation? Personally I've always found the AC HUD too cluttered and I often disable a couple of things, sometimes even everything.

and the weapons and armor look like they have to be looted from enemies. 

CAN be looted, doesn't have to be a requirement. And in earlier games looting from enemies was a thing as well, just not for permanent weapons. I'd say that looting the weapons is more immersive.

The setting seems great, the world amazing and I would have loved to see the origin story of the Assassins and Templars. 

However, AC has taken a turn into being a RPG now and I don't enjoy these kind of games. 

I'd say give them the benefit of the doubt :)Zelda has gone more ROPG now as well, I took the leap and I was very pleased with the result.

But I do get that they want to try new things since the last two games didn't do very well (which I don't get, I liked them both).

I liked all AC games, Unity and Syndicate are not near my top of the list though. It looks like Origins will be an amazing game for me, can't wait!

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Who's to say we don't have the actual Eagle Vision as well? And in-game, that vision was only for people with precursor blood.

I haven't played a single game in the series, but I did see the movie(it was.. Alright) so I have an idea of what you're talking about.

If what you said is accurate sense this is origins(presumably the first assassin), perhaps you get eagle vision for the later(chronologically) assassins from the eagle giving its sight? 

It would make sense from a story standpoint. And I actually kinda find that story idea pretty cool(even if the eagle is a blatant rip from primal for in game) 

5 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

It remains to be seen how well they implement the Eagle mechanic; but we've had skill trees since Unity, RPG elements since the second game and the combat has been constantly evolving since the third. The combat is still all about the action just less automated which is a good thing IMO.

2 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

I like the time period it's set in as well. What I don't like is that Eagle vision is now literally the vision of an eagle instead of the usual. Or for example the combat being more similar to Dark Souls than the usual. 

Now you don't even have a hidden blade unless you spend skill points toward unlocking it. You don't have a minimap either which is ridiculous for a game of that scale and the weapons and armor look like they have to be looted from enemies. 

Did they say Eagle Vision was gone? it's possible we have both, really. Or that this being the very start of the brotherhood we'll unlock it at a later stage.

Skyrim was a massive game and worked well enough with a pull out map and a compass. Minimalist HUD is always the best HUD since it allows you to truly take in the sight and appreciate the had work put into crafting these intricate worlds. 

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

People were always complaining about the combat in the Assassin's Creed series though, they had to change something. More similar to the Batman Arkham games would have been better but I can live with what they went with, especially the time slowdown when aiming your bow, I always like it when games do that.

That slow-mo arrow was also something that I liked. I was more referring to the close-quarter combat system, that they have also dabbed a bit into for Unity.

Don't know where you get that info from. From what I understand, you'll get the hidden blade but you will have to keep upgrading it with skill points if you want it to be effective against higher level enemies.

That's what a Ubisoft dude said. I just don't remember whether it was in the E3 livestream from UBI or on their US YouTube channel. The player has something like a hidden blade from early on in the game, but it is apparently too weak or something to use it for the usual stealth kills. The player will have to spend time and invest their skill points in the stealth skill tree to unlock that ability.

Maybe it's going to be like the poison darts in Syndicate where you have to upgrade it for the enemies, like you said.

Have you considered that they turned the minimap off for the presentation? Personally I've always found the AC HUD too cluttered and I often disable a couple of things, sometimes even everything.

I miswrote what I meant, I apologize. I meant the map in general, not the minimap/HUD. I can do without that and haven't found that very helpful either. In the gameplay demo the guy said they didn't have a map but there are waypoints/markers so you know where to navigate to. Maybe he was just talking about the removed HUD and there's still a map when you press the touchpad.

I guess most of this is still just speculation based of the little bits of information they've revealed so far. Since the release is in October, they still have a little time to make some changes to it anyways. Everything they showed was Alpha Footage and who knows how the actual game will turnout? All I know is that I won't pre-order it and wait for some gameplay videos to be released first to see if the actual game is something I'll enjoy or not.

It looks like Origins will be an amazing game for me, can't wait!

What about it do you like apart from the setting?

Did they say Eagle Vision was gone? it's possible we have both, really. Or that this being the very start of the brotherhood we'll unlock it at a later stage.

No, they didn't. I truly hope they have it in the game at some point. It's been a great feature to plan your moves in a mission when you can't be detected.

Skyrim was a massive game and worked well enough with a pull out map and a compass. Minimalist HUD is always the best HUD since it allows you to truly take in the sight and appreciate the had work put into crafting these intricate worlds. 

Taking in the beauty of the gaming world is always something I do and enjoy a lot :) My concern was more in the sense that a couple of months ago it was said that the world was going to be about 4 times bigger than in Black Flag (which was already huge imo) and not having any map would be a pain.

I'm very curious to see if they add some sort of fast-travel system to the game.

Edited by iAlphaSoldier

9 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Well it's been officially confirmed. Yoshida said in a recent interview that Sony held back announcements for later this year.

Which, if you need it spelled out for you, means PSX.

I wonder if Sony will eventually skip E3 and just worry about showing stuff at  PSX :hmm: 

1 minute ago, I Am Error said:

I wonder if Sony will eventually skip E3 and just worry about showing stuff at  PSX :hmm: 

Since it's their own conference I don't see why not. E3 can be their platform to showcase upcoming games, like what they did with this conference, and then leave the big juicy reveals for PSX.

I don't think there will be more than one or two big reveals this year, but still better than nothing. The Last of Us II will definitely be there since E3 focused on the Uncharted expansion.

7 minutes ago, I Am Error said:

Could be a good idea from fan's perspective, but they need to fulfill the contracts.

I'm pretty sure Sony is bound to appear on Sony by contracts.

Plus, marketing perspective. Despite not caring enough, it's still profitable for them.

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I haven't played a single game in the series, but I did see the movie(it was.. Alright) so I have an idea of what you're talking about.

If what you said is accurate sense this is origins(presumably the first assassin), perhaps you get eagle vision for the later(chronologically) assassins from the eagle giving its sight? 

It would make sense from a story standpoint. And I actually kinda find that story idea pretty cool(even if the eagle is a blatant rip from primal for in game) 

Lore wise that would not make sense as the precursors themselves already had the Vision, it's something of a sixth sense they passed on that gets color-coded through the Animus so us normals can understand it.

And yeah people who have played the games and enjoyed them tend to enjoy the movie more (though not always).

30 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

That slow-mo arrow was also something that I liked. I was more referring to the close-quarter combat system, that they have also dabbed a bit into for Unity.

As @HaSoOoN-MHD also thinks, personally I don't mind the combat being less "block-counter" than usual.

That's what a Ubisoft dude said. I just don't remember whether it was in the E3 livestream from UBI or on their US YouTube channel. The player has something like a hidden blade from early on in the game, but it is apparently too weak or something to use it for the usual stealth kills. The player will have to spend time and invest their skill points in the stealth skill tree to unlock that ability.

Maybe it's going to be like the poison darts in Syndicate where you have to upgrade it for the enemies, like you said.

I have no problems with the hidden blade being less overpowered until you upgrade it, as long as it's not finisher-only like in Unity.

I miswrote what I meant, I apologize. I meant the map in general, not the minimap/HUD. I can do without that and haven't found that very helpful either. In the gameplay demo the guy said they didn't have a map but there are waypoints/markers so you know where to navigate to. Maybe he was just talking about the removed HUD and there's still a map when you press the touchpad.

No HUD map: cool, fine, as long as I can make waypoints on a full map.

No full map: cool, makes the game more about exploring.

Personslly no HUD map would make more sense to me than no full map.

I guess most of this is still just speculation based of the little bits of information they've revealed so far. Since the release is in October, they still have a little time to make some changes to it anyways. Everything they showed was Alpha Footage and who knows how the actual game will turnout? All I know is that I won't pre-order it and wait for some gameplay videos to be released first to see if the actual game is something I'll enjoy or not.

Just watch my status feed, and beware that you're not accidentally watching the Super Mario Odyssey ones, that game releases at the same time ;)

I pre-ordered the Gods Edition, as said this game seems to take the series in exactly the direction I want them to take it in.

What about it do you like apart from the setting?

Wow, uhm, how long have you got?

Okay, so much of what I like is based on the setting and what it implies, since much of what we know now is just setting stuff.

I like the setting itself of course; I love Egyptian lore almost as much as I love those from Ancient Greece and from the Roman Empire. It's also much more exotic than Paris or London.

I love that it's in a desert place since it's something we did not see a lot of yet in the series.

As said, I like that it's fitted in a setting like the first three games - old civilisation on the remains of an older one. Back to basics.

I like that it's ages ago again, instead of yet more recent than the games before. Addendum: I like that it's not just a big city to explore.

Non-setting stuff:

I like the eagle connection, it's like they tried something in Far Cry Primal and they tweaked it for Assassin's Creed.

It's been said that the game will be getting full-on boss fights, that seems cool.

Wild animals seem to be back once more, which gives exploration more of an edge.

The combat seems cool, if the slowmo arrow and then knife throw combo is an indication.

Main character seems the most interesting one next to Ezio, and Kenway, with Shay close behind the three. Evie was cool but was not allowed to shine and I was not really invested in Arno or Jacob. Addendum: voice with an actual accent instead of plain old British.

I think there was more I liked but I'm tired after a long day of work and I cant really figure out what I'm missing now.

Taking in the beauty of the gaming world is always something I do and enjoy a lot :) My concern was more in the sense that a couple of months ago it was said that the world was going to be about 4 times bigger than in Black Flag (which was already huge imo) and not having any map would be a pain.

That's four times the land parts of Black Flag, surely? Four times the full map would be crazy. Unless much is empty sand, in which case: fast travel to discovered spots, please!

I'm very curious to see if they add some sort of fast-travel system to the game.

Yeah, the recent games with fast travel to all viewpoints were much easier to navigate.