Shuld Smaller Games be Allowed a Platinums?

CDYoung02

We now receive small games that are only prices like $1 and have platinums and it used to be that some of the bigger games wouldn't even get platinums. So should these smaller lesser know games be allowed a platinum. Surely if they know that giving themself a 1 hour platinum will make them get more sales then why would they no do it. I'm not for or against them so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on them.

I don't really care that much for trophies, and while there's a huge difference in AAA platinums on their own (compare platinum requirements in Assassin's Creed III to the requirements in The Order 1886), I do think that throphy lists should be reflective of how much work the player has to put into the game.

So Super Meat Boy would be worthy of a platinum, Late Shift would not. But that's my opinion.

Also my opinion: Microsoft giving all games a base value of 1K gamerscore on X1 is blatant pandering to achievement hunters so they'll buy more XBLA games.

I think Sony should just bite the bullet & make every game have a Platinum. I don't think it depreciates the value of a Platinum, as you said tiny games have them anyway. In saying that, there are very small games that are harder to Platinum than big AAA ones. Time invested doesn't equal difficulty. 

• Like 1

I'm going to be the odd one and say no, absolutely not. Earning a platinum should be something you had to work hard for and put in time and effort to achieve. Platinums are something you should take pride in earning; be able to look back at a game and say, "I earned it." 

Let me note that I don't look down on people for playing games like "My Name is Mayo," but if you want my honest opinion, it doesn't deserve a platinum and everyone knows it. 

I also don't like the MS argument saying, "Well, every game on XBL has 1000 points, so Sony should conform and every game should have a plat." Sony is not MS and conforming to their ways will only make platinums feel cheap.

Doesn't really matter to me if smaller games have them or not. The only thing that bothers me, is when larger games don't have one, and when retail games don't have them. Like, Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds and Mega Man Legacy Collection should totally have plats. Both require a lot of work, and should really have a plat. 

As of 2015 there are no restrictions on which games are eligible for a platinum trophy.

That's backed up by the likes of My Name is Mayo, but also this post from a developer of Lumines.

I don't know which games these two developers worked on, but they're saying the same. Also sorry for linking to Neogaf

It sounds like it's either a lack of understanding of the trophy system or not wanting to deal with trophy bugs causing a game to get delayed that are some of the reasons games don't get platinums. I'm pretty sure it was the latter in Mega Man Legacy's case. I think I remember reading that at the time, because there was a little backlash after they initially promised it would be getting a platinum trophy.

I'm not too bothered about platinums themselves though. I care more about the number of trophies. If platinums were enforced for all games, we'd just end up getting loads of games with 12 trophies and that's kind of meh.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 1

I just wish that Sony tried to be consistent one way or the other. Either stop giving platinums to games like My Name is Mayo and Mr. Massagy, or just give every game a platinum. It makes no sense to be so inconsistent so as to give Orc Slayer a platinum, but not Cloudberry Kingdom.

• Like 3

Yeah, of course they should. I don't like the mentality that if a game isn't "hard", it's somehow lesser, and not giving a plat to smaller/"easier" games would increase that divide. Not everyone who plays Telltale games or VNs are just looking for an easy plat. CYOA games are my favorite genre, but if they didn't get plats, then someone who genuinely loves those games could never get a platinum trophy, even though they are putting time into a game.

4 hours ago, Kishnabe said:

What bothers me is games like Neon Chrome, Wonderboy, Siralim don't come with a Platinum.

I really don't get why the Siralim games don't have Platinums since Siralim 1 has 322 Steam Achievements and Siralim 2 has 608. 

Anyway, I think all games should have a minimum of 25 trophies plus a Platinum. Microsoft's decision to require 1000G was a smart business move to me. I'm sure they've gotten their cut of sales on games that they wouldn't have if there was only 200 or 400G available.

Edited by Killbomb