Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

I love how you are getting into new game, Cassy. As for me, I rented from GameFly a little game called /Letter. (Er, Root Letter, I wish there was a way to put the square root symbol in post.) Yeah, that localized visual novel that got its ownt trailer before release. I just completed the first ending, the Cursed Letters ending, and man was that the stuff that horror is made of! I would have submitted it for the Trophophobia event if I wasn't going for the Gamtophobia trophy too. :o

Will probably platinum the game this week. Have some simple games I need to get through first. :)

12 hours ago, Spawn said:

@Cassylvania you know, there are combo genres... Unravel is a puzzle platformer, Dust is an action platformer... I would definitely not call Color Guardians a rhythm game, it's been a year since I've played it but I don't think it's even a rhythm platformer. For a good rhythm platformer, check out Runner2, or Runner3. Those are auto-runners like Color Guardians but they're much more enjoyable.

Yup. I considered this. I think I'm going to have one category for action platformers/Metroidvania games (like Shovel Knight and Shantae), and another for puzzle/puzzle platformers (like Unravel and Trine). I put Dust in the hack-and-slash category, because all I remember doing in that game is spamming buttons until I won. And I guess that's where Skylanders belongs too... It's a bit of a puzzle/platformer...but it's mostly just spam.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't know if I should be flattered or hurt...I think I'm a little of both.

Oh. My. God.

He's manifested himself into the real world. RUN! WOMEN AND VIKINGS FANS FIRST. PHIL HAS COME FOR US ALL!

4 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I love how you are getting into new game, Cassy. As for me, I rented from GameFly a little game called /Letter. (Er, Root Letter, I wish there was a way to put the square root symbol in post.) Yeah, that localized visual novel that got its ownt trailer before release. I just completed the first ending, the Cursed Letters ending, and man was that the stuff that horror is made of! I would have submitted it for the Trophophobia event if I wasn't going for the Gamtophobia trophy too. :o

I loved that ending to Root Letter. The Princess of Himegamori Forest is really good too. In fact, I consider that the "true" ending. I know it's not, but it made the most sense to me, in the context of the storyline.

Okay then! I'm off on another piratey adventure, with my boys Finn and Jake. To the Evil Forest! ? Are we dumb or are we brave? ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I loved that ending to Root Letter. The Princess of Himegamori Forest is really good too. In fact, I consider that the "true" ending. I know it's not, but it made the most sense to me, in the context of the storyline.

Just completed that ending and knowing you and your slightly psycho personality, I wasn't surprised you favored that ending. xD It was horror-genre too but at least it wasn't as violent. Going to go for the Government Plot ending next. (I wish you could skip Chapter 8, I hate having to do that investigation again and again.) But I have to wind down - I have to go to the dentist tomorrow(hopefully just for a cleaning) and have to wake up at the ungodly hour of 7 AM because I have to leave the house at 7:30 to get there on time. :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Yup. I considered this. I think I'm going to have one category for action platformers/Metroidvania games (like Shovel Knight and Shantae), and another for puzzle/puzzle platformers (like Unravel and Trine). I put Dust in the hack-and-slash category, because all I remember doing in that game is spamming buttons until I won. And I guess that's where Skylanders belongs too... It's a bit of a puzzle/platformer...but it's mostly just spam.

Yeah Dust is definitely on the "just mindlessly spam the attack buttons" end of the action platforming spectrum. Makes you wonder why so many people praised it. Then again, I wonder about that with more praised games than just Dust.

• Like 1

Just got the platinum for Root Letter, but had to do a sixth playthrough because for some reason LetterMania did not pop because some of the letter replies were removed and I had to select them again. Luckily, I only had four untouched replies(the fourth replies for the first letter and the first replies for the second letter) to reselect and once I got that second letter replied, POP Platinum. ^_^

After going through all of the endings, here are my thoughts:

Spoiler
  1. Cursed Letters: Obviously pure horror where everyone dies at the end. The crow killing Shorty by stabbing its beak between the eyes was grosteque, and Four-Eyes' death was even more gruesome. Freddy Kreuger and the Klaw Krew should beg to be apprenticed to the vengeful Japanese horror titles of Fatal Frame and take notes from this ending. xD
  2. Princess of Himemogo/Himeogota/whateverthe****itis: Even creepier. Having your big sister's psychotic ghost who hates your guts and turn you into a monster is pure terror. The scene at the old folks' home showing the 'recreation room' was f***ed as all hell. ?
  3. A Government Plot: Poor Penpal gets locked up in a nuthouse to silence him and his only hope says no to a rescue because they are too weak. And Japan is going to get revenge on us with alien tech. DAAAAAAMN that's some really f***ed up sci-fi s*** right there. :o
  4. Crossing Paths: Not a bad ending, but not a great one either. While Penpal is glad Shiori is helping the 3rd world countries as a Peace Corps nurse, it feels like that's the end of that.
  5. Bond of Marriage: Probably my favorite ending, but then I am a sucker for happy endings where the best friend appears and forgives her friends for breaking off their friendships because she got into college and they didn't. However, I like how Penpal gets dragged over the hot coals of hate because he made everyone remember how much of a jerkwad they were to their friend who was only trying to make an old woman happy... and she ends up throwing herself in a burning building because she went loopy. So in the end, all of these endings, good or bad, could have been avoided if the kids had predicted it would rain and avoided that creepy Occidental house. :P

Probably not going to invite myself to any more of this visual novel stuff but I do have Blue Reflection on my GameFly Q. Right now I have to do some more muck-racking to get a couple more platinums. I mean, torture myself with more Philuzzles. I am almost close to earning my third "complete a page" trophy by clearing all of the Australia Puzzles, just need to do one more. Then I'll try to complete Egypt.

Edited by DragonQuest238
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Blue Reflection is an awesome game, it's not really a visual novel though - more of a JRPG

I know Blue Reflection is an RPG. I just think it's also one of those Japanese-heavy culture things. :)

Also, I got another Fill-A-Pix trophy for clearing the Australia page, then I did a small puzzle in the Russia page and now knocking out my first Italy puzzle. I want to support Cassy as we both struggle through Phil's demonic photo album. xD

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Just completed that ending and knowing you and your slightly psycho personality, I wasn't surprised you favored that ending. xD It was horror-genre too but at least it wasn't as violent. Going to go for the Government Plot ending next. (I wish you could skip Chapter 8, I hate having to do that investigation again and again.) But I have to wind down - I have to go to the dentist tomorrow(hopefully just for a cleaning) and have to wake up at the ungodly hour of 7 AM because I have to leave the house at 7:30 to get there on time. :(

You flatter me.

17 hours ago, Spawn said:

Yeah Dust is definitely on the "just mindlessly spam the attack buttons" end of the action platforming spectrum. Makes you wonder why so many people praised it. Then again, I wonder about that with more praised games than just Dust.

Honestly, I didn't care for it either. I wouldn't call it a bad game... But overhyped, yeah. It's even worse that it's my 40th platinum, which is suddenly now a SUPER IMPORTANT MILESTONE. Makes me hate the game all the more.

1 hour ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Also, I got another Fill-A-Pix trophy for clearing the Australia page, then I did a small puzzle in the Russia page and now knocking out my first Italy puzzle. I want to support Cassy as we both struggle through Phil's demonic photo album. xD

I think I have nine left. Maybe eight. It's beginning to wear on me.

Well, the Vikings play tonight. Can't wait to see them underperform again. Then again, I'm not sure how you can do much more than getting shutout by the Bills at home. (I'm not even counting that meaningless touchdown near the end. The Bills players were probably exhausted from scoring all afternoon.) The only thing that was a bigger chore to watch was the Senate hearing.

Anyway, I've finally arrived at the Fire Kingdom. Shit got real here fast, with an enemy with a skull over its head (apparently meaning it's a way higher level than me) attacking me at the front gate. I was able to beat it back with my homie BMO, and the rest of the island feels...relatively safe. If I can beat the boss in this area, I might just have this game wrapped up before my camping trip.

Then again, if the Vikings start to suck again, I might just hit the road tonight.

• Like 2

I think I have nine left. Maybe eight. It's beginning to wear on me.

You're lucky. I have only three pages full. Italy and African Safari are going to be my worst nightmare with how many puzzles they have. ?

Then again, if the Vikings start to suck again, I might just hit the road tonight.

That's why I am not into sports, every sport bores me to tears. And as a man, I should be a sports nerd. I failed my fellow gender. :(xD

7 hours ago, Jens said:

Well it was made solely by one dude... so that gives it at least some street cred :P Except for voice acting I think, obviously. I don't mean that you always have to dig up the development circumstances to appreciate something, but in this case I gave it a +1 in my head at least :D

I'll keep my Hollow Knight monologues short for spoiler reasons, but this game is a rabbit hole. Whenever I try to reach a dead end it just goes on forever. "Oh another area, oh another area, oh candy, oh another area". And it genuinely gets freaky and creepy at some points now. But it's still pretty confusing, which isn't actually bad. And it's so open where you go and when you tackle which area, that was something I really had to get used to after Guacamelee. There the trail of suplexed skeletons showed you exactly where to go, this is more like the Dark Souls approach. Go wherever you wanna go dude. I give it my all to understand the lore this time and use my...... lore device...... no spoilers right?..... as much as possible, but I think it might be a lost case again :P 

I love how open the game is for exploration, a few of my friends are playing it too and we are all having different experiences depending on where we are exploring first.  I keep telling myself that I'll play for a few hours and then work on my Halloween games, but that never happens and I end up being hooked on Hollow Knight.

• Like 3

Platinum #133 - Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion

1L93a666.png

While this is probably my favorite cartoon to come out in the past 20 years, I can't really recommend the game. It's glitchy (dialogue gets cut off, subtitles are wrong, characters get stuck in the environment, etc.), the controls are wonky, and the story is painfully dull. The combat is fun, though. Jake's boomerang attack is really overpowered, and BMO is game-breaking. For what it's worth, I think it's a better Adventure Time game than Finn & Jake Investigations, but it's still not what I was hoping for. THIS is the kind of the series that begs to be a Zelda clone.

I know there are still a couple AT games for the PS3 that I haven't tried, but I'm not sure they're any better.

At least the platinum image is cool.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #133 - Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion

1L93a666.png

While this is probably my favorite cartoon to come out in the past 20 years, I can't really recommend the game. It's glitchy (dialogue gets cut off, subtitles are wrong, characters get stuck in the environment, etc.), the controls are wonky, and the story is painfully dull. The combat is fun, though. Jake's boomerang attack is really overpowered, and BMO is game-breaking. For what it's worth, I think it's a better Adventure Time game than Finn & Jake Investigations, but it's still not what I was hoping for. THIS is the kind of the series that begs to be a Zelda clone.

I know there are still a couple AT games for the PS3 that I haven't tried, but I'm not sure they're any better.

At least the platinum image is cool.

I wouldn't recommend Secret of the Nameless Kingdom, which I played on an older account, even though it's only 99 cents on the PSN store. Glad you gave that review, I can safely avoid this game like the plague. :)

Just platinumed Catlateral Damage at long last, now have Virginia and RiME on my PS4 ready to go. Completed a couple of Philuzzles and trying to complete another page, but I think I have completed all of the smaller ones so I will have to take a while to solve a puzzle. You're right, Cassy, completing a Philuzzle does wear on you after a while. And I still haven't gotten past Dragon Warrior III on my Dragon Quest journey! :(

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Do you happen to have any tips for the challenges in Arkham Asylum because they're currently making me want to throw my controller against a wall, and cutting into my Persona and Hollow Knight time. xD

Which ones are giving you trouble? The Predator ones are usually not too bad since it's the same thing every time...it's just getting down the sequence of what needs to be done. The combat missions are much tougher imo since the 'freeflow' isn't quite as polished in this game as the later ones. The things that I did that helped was I never went past the first round unless I did it perfectly. I found the later rounds are easier if you get off on the right foot. I also tried to use all the moves during the freeflow. It's 5k bonus points if you can get it done which is 20k overall and makes a huge dent in any of the challenges. The other thing I'd do is try to end a long freeflow with a ground pound finisher. When you get 3 guys or less left it's pretty easy. Double tap the R2 button to use the batclaw. It takes a second for the guys to fall down, but you are able to double tap X to jump away and then R2 + Triangle without losing the combo. You can usually get two ground pounds before they start standing up. That multipliers is x100 so helps a lot with the score.

The hardest one for me was the one where the floor electrocutes you if you take too long. You don't quite have the time to set it up like you may like...but fortunately you need the fewest points for that one. For that one it's just good to keep the freeflow going as long as you can. I focused on the damn knife guys there since they can eff up a combo very easily. Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 7:15 AM, Jens said:

Are you at least looking at alright weather for your trip? Because over here a camping trip would sound less than ideal at the moment :P 

Oh, it was beautiful. Low 70's, no rain, a little breeze. Early autumn is always my favorite time of the year for camping!

And I'm back just in time for some Sunday night football. I didn't get a chance to watch all of the highlights for today's games, but here are some thoughts:

• Time for Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans to come back down to Earth. It was a fun September, but we know who really owns the AFC East.
  • There was the chance for THREE tie (late OT) games today. None of them came to fruition, but this is unacceptable.
  • Happy for Gruden. Not so happy for the Browns. They deserved that win more.
  • Holy shit. Did you look at the Bears?
  • No, seriously. LOOK AT THE BEARS.
  • Can't find many end scores I like today, but it's good to see the Titans' record isn't just a product of an easy schedule.

Well, that'll about do it for September. I'm not exactly sure what my plans are for this week. For now, I'm just going to work on getting my account back to 100%...and maybe a Halloween sale will pop up in the meantime...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

And I'm back just in time for some Sunday night football. I didn't get a chance to watch all of the highlights for today's games, but here are some thoughts:

• Time for Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans to come back down to Earth. It was a fun September, but we know who really owns the AFC East.
  • There was the chance for THREE tie (late OT) games today. None of them came to fruition, but this is unacceptable.
  • Happy for Gruden. Not so happy for the Browns. They deserved that win more.
  • Holy shit. Did you look at the Bears?
  • No, seriously. LOOK AT THE BEARS.
  • Can't find many end scores I like today, but it's good to see the Titans' record isn't just a product of an easy schedule.

That was another rough outing on Thursday for your Vikes...in all fairness though the Rams look to be a buzz saw this year. For as much shit as Goff took his rookie year...he looks legit. It was nice to see the Patriots resemble the team I was expecting coming into the year. The defense finally stopped a team on 3rd down and the running game looked surprisingly good. Brady still doesn't look like Brady to me...but it's close enough.

After I watched the Pats game today I watched the Giants...and man is Eli bad. He missed badly on several throws. Also, them not calling timeouts at the end of the half and letting the Saints just run down the clock was stupid. Barkley is going to be really, really good. I hope he can stay healthy.

I couldn't believe that Bears score and the Trubisky threw 5 TD's in the first half...Fitzmagic was on the wrong sideline today...he came back down to Earth hard himself. NFC north is looking like it is going to be far and away the best division.

I was pretty surprised there were no ties today either...I guess none of the teams that scored first ended up winning today.

I was a big Vrabel guy when he was on the Pats so I'm happy that the Titans have been winning. They haven't been pretty, but a W is a W.

Flacco has looked surprisingly well tonight so far too. His deep ball has been on point and the Steelers D hasn't looked particularly good either. It was sad what happened to Ryan Shazier last year, but if Collinsworth mentions him again I'm going to lose my mind....

So I got my 3,000 trophy and I went with a Lego The Hobbit one since I liked the artwork the best on those out of what's on my backlog. I really wasn't a fan at first since the object of the game seemed to be to beat the shit out of everything on the screen...which normally is fine when it is enemies...but do baskets of carrots and bread really deserve that kind of throttling? It was so dull and I was happy to get through 'Story' mode. I wasn't ever planning on playing another Lego game, but I'm having more fun in 'Free Play' when you can actually do everything in a level. It's not quite as funny as I was expecting...but I'm liking it enough now where I'd probably give another Lego game a try at some point.

Yomawari is really pretty cool. You do kind of need a guide though in order to play it since there is little to no direction, which is a little disappointing, but it is creepy as all hell and the guide I'm following does a pretty good job of keeping the mystery. I'll probably play Midnight after I'm done with Lego The Hobbit. I should be just about done with Night Alone about the same time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, it was beautiful. Low 70's, no rain, a little breeze. Early autumn is always my favorite time of the year for camping!

Can we swap homes? xD My autumn is a total pile of dookey - it was raining for two weeks without stop and my dad had to poison my backyard to kill all of the f'king grass that rose up. We're trying to replace the grass with gravel to make a stone backyard but it's impossible because every time it rains, the place becomes a jungle. :P May have to throw out my backyard grill because it's probably unusuable due to it weighing down plastic bags and it's probably covered with weed poison and anything I grill on it is cyanide waiting to happen. :(

Just kidding, I know that winter will probably be a nightmare for you when it starts to snow. In Texas there is no snow.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, that'll about do it for September. I'm not exactly sure what my plans are for this week. For now, I'm just going to work on getting my account back to 100%...and maybe a Halloween sale will pop up in the meantime...

You know you just contradicted yourself. But I'm glad you will probably platinum Phil's nightmare torture room of despair. He's holding my PS Vita hostage, with 41 puzzles left to go, and only Egypt and Russia have less than six puzzles left. So I'm going to try to spend this week every night winding down with a Philuzzle to try to get the rest of them down to five puzzles or less.

Also currently working on RiME. At Chapter 3 now, just got the Patience trophy. I might swap out forma.8 for my 69th platinum(because I don't really care about Virginia), then I am going to definitely focus on Dark Cloud to be my 70th platinum.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jens said:

So I just fought an optional, more difficult version of a boss in Hollow Knight for roughly 2 hours.... I died about 30-50 times.... but now this GD POS SOAB MF dude is dead. If I were a smoker that would've been victory-cigarette-worthy :P I could've waited and come back when I'm juiced up, but I just felt like getting the pattern down so well, it just had to be done :P I saved the clip by the way, so if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I would call the boss a 2/5 on the spoiler scale because I don't show the way to him or why you fight him and neither do I use any crazy special moves, but I still won't just drop it here.

He wasn't otherwordly difficult and he would've been easier with certain upgrades...but if that boss is part of the boss rushes..... I think I might kiss the plat farewell. Still trying, but damn.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think I know which boss you're talking about and it is part of the boss rush :P   If it makes you feel any better, I believe there is a place in the game where you can practice repeatedly against each of the bosses that appear in the boss rush - it's on the Steam version at least and I don't think they would have taken it out of the console version.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Briste said:

Flacco has looked surprisingly well tonight so far too. His deep ball has been on point and the Steelers D hasn't looked particularly good either. It was sad what happened to Ryan Shazier last year, but if Collinsworth mentions him again I'm going to lose my mind....

I had to mute it. The only thing I hate more than watching the Steelers is listening to Collinsworth. At least I can cheer for my boy Keenum tonight...

18 hours ago, Briste said:

So I got my 3,000 trophy and I went with a Lego The Hobbit one since I liked the artwork the best on those out of what's on my backlog. I really wasn't a fan at first since the object of the game seemed to be to beat the shit out of everything on the screen...which normally is fine when it is enemies...but do baskets of carrots and bread really deserve that kind of throttling? It was so dull and I was happy to get through 'Story' mode. I wasn't ever planning on playing another Lego game, but I'm having more fun in 'Free Play' when you can actually do everything in a level. It's not quite as funny as I was expecting...but I'm liking it enough now where I'd probably give another Lego game a try at some point.

Congrats on 3k! The Hobbit does have some of the best trophy names/images on the PS4. I've been planning on making one of those a milestone for a while. I guess my next one is 6k (I think every 1000 trophies is now a milestone, until 10k?) or plat #150. It'd be pretty cool to hit both of them this year...

17 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

@Cassylvania Which game are you planning to work on first for the 100%?

I think it's finally time to finish off that mustached weirdo. I'm tired of seeing his face every time I turn on the PS4.

16 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Just kidding, I know that winter will probably be a nightmare for you when it starts to snow. In Texas there is no snow.

Don't remind me. At least I won't have to worry about driving in the snow too much this year. I live close enough that I can just walk or ride my bike to work...

• Like 3