Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

1 hour ago, Jens said:

Alright so that's a surprise :P I thought everyone who got hyped about it already played them, but I think you'll be in for a treat then. I played the trilogy, the Apollo one and the first Edgeworth one (because #2 never made it to the West) and I actually liked all of them. That's such a long time ago now... these games will probably be half blind again :D I'm just curious how they will port it. You said the Nonary games were alright? Because that would give me hope that they'll know what they're doing.

And here I am sitting in front of my TV looking at a countdown like a kid waiting for christmas. Not sure if that's whimsical or sad :P 

I'm pretty excited for Phoenix Wright, I've never played them before so I'm looking forward to experiencing them for the first time.  

I notice you're playing Hollow Knight already :o  I'm so jealous, the NA pre-order doesn't go live for me until tomorrow afternoon

24 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

(Says the person who won't give up all of the good-tasting food and drink and eat "healthy heart" food to fix their blood pressure and will probably die of a heart attack or end up on blood pressure meds for life.)

You can still have good-tasting food and have a healthy heart ^_^  Obviously I don't know what foods you enjoy, but nearly all naughty foods you can make an alternative for yourself from scratch and they are much healthier for you.  I know not everyone likes doing that though, but I love getting creative in the kitchen

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I know not everyone likes doing that though, but I love getting creative in the kitchen

I used to enjoy cooking. Food Network used to be my favorite TV channel, but now I can't get any shows on it because I don't have cable anymore and I will have to pay for a provider like Hulu to watch TV. Still I am glad you gave me some good advice but this is something between me and my family so I shouldn't have said anything about that. Thanks anyways. :)

I might sign up for Gaming by Numbers and put Fill-A-Pix as my "4" entry since the URL for its trophy list ends in 4. That would give me something to shoot for so I can work on the puzzles and get most of them done by October 15. You never know, though, there might be a better game with a trophy list page ending in "4" in my huge backlog on all of my other libraries. I need an excuse to clean up all of my backlogs so I can remove accounts. (And yes, Cassy, I know it's insane to plat those stupid games again and I could have not platinumed Deponia, but while I was playing, I saw how the artists and voice actors put their hearts and souls into this game, which is actually a port of a computer game. So I feel obligated to give these games a look even if I don't like it by the end, and my OCD refuses to leave a game unplatinumed but that's something I need to see a shrink about. xD)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jens said:

That would annoy me to be honest. I didn't even think about it when I started, but at exactly 0:00 it was unlocked for me. Played about an hour so far and there's not much to say just yet because I wandered around like a blind person and just defeated one boss. There's more to say once I... reach stuff :D  But you could already cut the atmosphere with a knife, that's for sure. Tomorrow we will dig a little deeper.

I'm excited to hear more about this game. The trophy images are gorgeous. Are you planning this for your 100th plat?

2 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I might sign up for Gaming by Numbers and put Fill-A-Pix as my "4" entry since the URL for its trophy list ends in 4. That would give me something to shoot for so I can work on the puzzles and get most of them done by October 15. You never know, though, there might be a better game with a trophy list page ending in "4" in my huge backlog on all of my other libraries. I need an excuse to clean up all of my backlogs so I can remove accounts. (And yes, Cassy, I know it's insane to plat those stupid games again and I could have not platinumed Deponia, but while I was playing, I saw how the artists and voice actors put their hearts and souls into this game, which is actually a port of a computer game. So I feel obligated to give these games a look even if I don't like it by the end, and my OCD refuses to leave a game unplatinumed but that's something I need to see a shrink about. xD)

I don't remember saying Deponia was stupid. I liked that game. The sequel was a bit tedious, but Rufus is such a lovable bastard.

Phil, on the other hand, is stupid. In fact, I'm not even sure he's human. He's never once taken a bite out of that cookie or a sip of his coffee, despite holding them for hours on end, and his shirt pocket is on the wrong side. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was an alien, put here to make us solve mindless puzzles to turn us all into trophy-hunting slaves.

I have never feared and despised a man so deeply as I do Phil.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

If I didn't know better, I'd say he was an alien, put here to make us solve mindless puzzles to turn us all into trophy-hunting slaves.

If he wasn't a virtual being, I'd say he was the secret boss of Green Lava Studios, the guys who made My Name Is Mayo and Mr. Massagy. Luckily for my sanity, I wasn't fooled by Mr. Massagy's ease of play; I knew the instant I saw the trailers that it was a mockery of a dating sim and while i didn't see the 'massages' you get at the end, I was sure that they were just some G-rated sex scenes as a reward for an excellent date. If I wanted to play a dating sim that badly, I'd play Kitty Matchmaker. xD

I am just to spend the next three weeks trying to grind out Philuzzles since I finally platinumed LEGO Batman 3 on the Vita. (I rented it from GameFly - no way in H-E-double chopsticks was I paying $19.99 for LEGO games that I will just wham-bam-thank-you-damn and throw away. I feel bad for Traveler Tales Fusion, the guys who make the Vita titles. I ended up glitching that game a few times and running into new glitches that forced me to quit the level and start over, and you can't save and quit like in the PS4 titles so you have to go through each mini-level completely again to save your progress.) I know I have a lot of good Vita titles but I am either saving them for events or just trying to clean out my Vita backlog.

Good luck on your trophy hunting. ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jens said:

And not to prepare a cop out, all 3 games I have going right now (after Before the Storm) I would be OK with as #100. Dragon Quest XI is nice so far and I'm just glad that something like it still exists. Yakuza 2..... I mean all my crying is probably still ringing in your ears, so it's a given why that one should be acceptable as well. And lastly I poked my girlfriend to continue Stardew Valley (just whispering "Dinosaur Egg........" into her ears for months did the job) and that will be quite the cooperative-effort-platinum, pretty rare one as well. So whichever it'll be I think I wouldn't regret any of these options. Great soothing condition to tackle Hollow Knight, eases up the """pressure""" :P 

*Whispering in your ear* Yakuza Kiwami 2, Kiryu is waiting for you *cough* *cough*

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jens said:

Alright so let me put it this way. At 6 PM I wanted to take a break from Hollow Knight, watch the game from my team (because this year they might kick ass again) and I was already starting to form my opinion for you guys. I just wanted to check one little corner on the map real quick.

Now it's 8, the game is over (they won, swimmingly) and I still didn't really want to stop. But my head feels a bit heavy today, that's pretty much the only reason :P 

So yeah, I think it might live up to the hype. They are a little stingy with the upgrades in the beginning, but once it gets going.... it really gets going. It looks great, it controls great, I can't imagine that it will turn out less than "very good". But do yourself a favor and play it with headphones, because the music might turn out to be the hidden star of the show.

Pretty good day today, gotta acknowledge it when it happens :P 

Glad to hear you're enjoying it :D

I've played for around an hour so far and can see that it's going to get me hooked, it's probably one of the most challenging games I've played for a long time but it's also a lot of fun.  Agree with you about the music and I adore the art style.  So far I've managed to beat the first boss and get a couple of charms

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jens said:

Are you getting lost as much as I do? :P Normally I would say I'm pretty alright with mental mapping, but this map is just weird. I don't really understand why some rooms don't appear on the map at all. Not the biggest problem and I'm starting to get used to it, but that was the reason for a lot of playtime so far :D 

Yea, I've been getting lost a lot.  I've found buying the compass and some of the pins have really helped get my bearings.

• Like 2

Y'all are making me jealous. VC4 and Hollow Knight are both out in North America, and here I am, playing with my Cats and Philuzzles.

Oh, well. I can still join your guys in spirit. Check out my new avi!

That's not the only change I've made. You'll notice, in the OP, I've decided to simplify the icons (hearts, middle fingers, and poop) I give to individual games. I think this makes them a lot easier to read, as 80% of the games I play don't really fall into any of those three categories. I may have to rethink the middle fingers, though... A *LOT* of games have pissed me off over the years. Is it really fair to compare Ether One (a game that pissed me off because of its glitchiness) to Axiom Verge (a game that pissed me off because of the final boss), or Yonder (a game that pissed me off because of a stupid fish), to Spy Chameleon (a game that is just utter shit)? Of course, I could just give the reason for the middle finger next to the game... Decisions, decisions.

I've also considered organizing my platinums by genre instead of time/difficulty, but I don't know how I'd do that. For example, Root Letter could be considered a visual novel, but what about Life is Strange or any of the Telltale games? Is Salt and Sanctuary a platformer or an action game? And where do we draw the line at action games? Are Batman and Dark Souls the same thing? And what the heck is Skylanders?

I like the idea, so people can see what genres I gravitate towards, but perhaps it's more trouble than it's worth...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Y'all are making me jealous. VC4 and Hollow Knight are both out in North America, and here I am, playing with my Cats and Philuzzles.

Oh, well. I can still join your guys in spirit. Check out my new avi!

That's not the only change I've made. You'll notice, in the OP, I've decided to simplify the icons (hearts, middle fingers, and poop) I give to individual games. I think this makes them a lot easier to read, as 80% of the games I play don't really fall into any of those three categories. I may have to rethink the middle fingers, though... A *LOT* of games have pissed me off over the years. Is it really fair to compare Ether One (a game that pissed me off because of its glitchiness) to Axiom Verge (a game that pissed me off because of the final boss), or Yonder (a game that pissed me off because of a stupid fish), to Spy Chameleon (a game that is just utter shit)? Of course, I could just give the reason for the middle finger next to the game... Decisions, decisions.

I've also considered organizing my platinums by genre instead of time/difficulty, but I don't know how I'd do that. For example, Root Letter could be considered a visual novel, but what about Life is Strange or any of the Telltale games? Is Salt and Sanctuary a platformer or an action game? And where do we draw the line at action games? Are Batman and Dark Souls the same thing? And what the heck is Skylanders?

I like the idea, so people can see what genres I gravitate towards, but perhaps it's more trouble than it's worth...

That avi is amazing!

How about giving the middle finger games a rating, like one middle finger to five middle fingers - of course reserving the five especially for Spy Chameleon.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

How about giving the middle finger games a rating, like one middle finger to five middle fingers - of course reserving the five especially for Spy Chameleon.

Ah, if only my hand had five middle fingers... Only then could I show the chameleon how I truly feel.

Fortunately, I don't need any middle fingers for this one.

Platinum #132 - ICEY

1L065889.png

A strange little game, with just enough action and story to warrant a $2.99 price tag. Yes, if you happen to have three dollars lying around, don't waste it on the penny slots -- waste it on ICEY! She'll be sure to thank you.

I honestly have no clue what this game was about.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jens said:

I mean the genre thing would help because quite a lot of games are pretty obscure on your list, especially lately. And if some are tough to judge you can present the problem games to the jury in here and we'll debate it for weeks :P 

Or categorizing them from "Would platinum them again immediately" to "Glad it's over, now get it out of my face"? But on the other hand... that's almost already the case right now... Now you can see why my list is boring and chronological, I'm just a fountain of creativity.

Not a bad idea either. I think I'm going to try by genre for now, and we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, we'll just organize the games by how much I loved or hated them.

We'll take it slow. For now, I've chosen six genres that I think should be included, and I've placed games that I'm 95% sure about into those categories. Does anybody have any major issues with those placements?

34 minutes ago, Jens said:

Are you happy with Cat Quest so far? I think it was a good example for a bite-sized little budget game. I think I would play a sequel.

Yeah, it's a good GameFly game. I really like the art style (the "world" being represented by an actual map is so well-done), and the combat is simple and fun. If I had to compare it to another game I've played recently, I'd pick The Swords of Ditto -- and it does a lot better than that game.

I might try to finish Cats and Phil before this weekend, but I DEFINITELY have to finish Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion before then (because of the Spelling Bee event), so let's get started! C'mon, grab your friends, we're going to very distant lands...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jens said:

At very first glance I was skeptical about Dust, but to be honest I just don't remember it completely. Just the combat is left in my memory, that's probably the only reason why I disagreed. But you probably learned some maneuvering along the way... I think?

Hm. You might be right. At first, I was thinking Dust is pretty close to Shantae, but it's actually more like ICEY and Odin Sphere. There's technically platforms in those games, but it's more about the combat. We'll just stick those games -- along with that abomination Foul Play -- in a new category, for senseless button-mashers.

Zero Escape is another weird one. I'm going to go ahead and call it a visual novel, but it does have point-and-click and puzzle elements.

Color Guardians...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kent said:

@Cassylvania Color Guardians is a rhythm game. 

Now THERE is a category that I'd never get another game in. Maybe if I just categorize it as "Other"...

Well, everything was going great until I got to the action/adventure/RPG/third-person shooter tier. How the heck am I supposed to separate out those? I can pull out FPS and turn-based RPGs, but the rest... I dunno. Uncharted, HZD, and Dark Souls are all very different games. And is Unravel a platformer or a puzzle game? What about Rime? Is Undertale turn-based? Is Claire even a game? What's going on with Alien: Isolation? WHAT ARE YOU, SEDNA? LILI, YOUR GAMEPLAY MAKES NO SENSE. I'm so confused! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

EDIT: OK, I managed to get the games into 16 categories. I'm not in love with the end result, but that's the best I can do for now. I think less is better in this case, so I might try to combine some of them, like I did for shooters... Any thoughts?

Edited by Cassylvania

@Cassylvania you know, there are combo genres... Unravel is a puzzle platformer, Dust is an action platformer... I would definitely not call Color Guardians a rhythm game, it's been a year since I've played it but I don't think it's even a rhythm platformer. For a good rhythm platformer, check out Runner2, or Runner3. Those are auto-runners like Color Guardians but they're much more enjoyable.

• Like 1