Let's Play Persona 5

So I finally beat the game for the first time. I thought I would go ahead and type my views on the game after doing a blind playthrough as I believe it will be quite different from my clean-up playthrough. .

Combat:

I love the combat in the game and I personally prefer the shadow negotiation over the pick a random tarot card game randomly after each battle (Persona 3 FES). I've always been a fan of turn-based strategy games and I felt like this game had the perfect amount of difficulty. The boss battles were BY FAR my favorite thing in the game. Each boss battle had new twists and turns that kept you on your toes and each boss brought something new to the table that always somehow, threw me off my game plan a little bit. For example, the second palace boss was so ingenius. You had to really plan out your attacks ahead of time, know exactly what each parts strengths and weaknesses are, and had to be mindful when your teammates got status aliments. It took me a few times, but I was finally able to beat him and felt like I really accomplished something (I was almost always underleveled BTW, probably all the way until the final palace, which made things much more difficult). Overall though, ALL of the boss battles gave me the feel that this game was a "strategy" game instead of a "let's overlevel up and overpower everything." game. Looking back at just solely the combat, I appreciate this game more for what it is.  

Music:

How could you not love the music to the game? It's really tough to pick a few of my favorites, because I really liked the entire soundtrack (and will get it on iTunes in the future). BUT nevertheless, I did pick 10 of them I liked:

1. River in the Desert
  2. Beneath the Mask (Rain)
  3. Layer Cake (Iwai Theme)
  4. Sunset Bridge
  5. The Days When My Mother Was There
  6. Willpower
  7. Last Surprise
  8. Whims of Fate
  9. Life goes on (Exam music)
  10. Life will Change

Waifus:

I know this is a very important, touchy subject for some, but when I play a game as a highschool boy, and I am currently 25 years old. I normally pick the romance options that go BEST with whoever the main character is, NOT necessarily who I personally feel would be a match for myself or who's personality fits best with mine. Therefore, I picked Hifumi Togo, in the game. I felt like she had a total crush on the MC and that their intellectual prowess and strategy-making go well together. I also felt that Makoto would have been a good choice as she always felt like the second leader of the team and that their personalities would mesh well together. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I HATE FUTABA. Futaba was actually my favorite of the phantom thieves behind Joker, but as I've explained in other threads and this one, she feels like a little sister to me and therefore, did not pick her because it's weird to date your little sister, just like it's weird to date your teacher which would have actually been my personal choice, but I'll go into detail on that here shortly. I don't blame anyone who did romance her, because you said, "I did it because she's the best character." I could not argue against that. lol.

My personal choice would have been Kawakami though. Her struggle of trying to make money to try and lessen the burden and guilt she has for another is just great and shows a character that is by no means perfect, but is doing her best. She felt like a real person to me, with real struggles that I felt like I could relate to well. She's also older and more mature which helps me connect better with her than everyone else. I'm not going to list some waifu tier system like others as mine would make zero sense to most people and I would have to make 2 of them. One I would use for Joker's character and my own personal one of who I felt the most connection to. But these things are silly anyways and in some ways a little... ugh, I don't want to say creepy, but weird since it's fantasy characters?!? Well, I at least wanted to address this as a section, so I did.

Story:

I'm going to be honest here and say that the story felt a little too long and dragged on a bit at times. I felt like we were doing the same thing, every single month, with no real twists or turns going on until the second to last palace. I got a little bored of the cut and paste style of find a target, figure out the location and keyword, jump into the palace, and kick his/her ass before the end of the month. Each individual palace was cool, but the pacing felt monotonous until shit gets real during the second to last palace. I wish they would have either changed things up in some way (separate the party, do 2 palaces at once, etc.) SOMETHING to break up the monthly cycle to keep me on my toes. I did enjoy the story of the Phantom thieves and really like the story from the 5th palace and on. I really wasn't a fan of the texting dialogue after each day or whatever either, but at the same time, I felt like it is how we are today in society. How often do we really go and visit someone when we talk or call someone to hear their voice? I don't like lots of reading and it felt like too much and a little insincere, but I also felt like it was a testament to how we are today. Not as personal and a little insincere. I guess to put this another way; I both loved and hated the text chat! xD Lastly, the finale of the game (last 3-4 hours) were just great writing and story telling. It was cutscenes- galore, but it was epic to say the least. The final cutscene didn't match up to the epicness that I wanted (Definitely not like P3), but it felt fitting at least and had the necessary catharsis.

Overall:

Such a great, well-rounded game that both fed my need for JRPG and strategy. The game oozes style from the menu screens, to the cut scenes, to the combat, and to the game over screen. I think it's a must-play for any JRPG fan. I won't go as far to say a must-play for PS4 owners as each person has their own tastes, but if you are on the fence for this one just give it a try. It will definitely eat away at your time, and if you are getting bored of it, hang in there... It gets crazy late in the game or play something else for a while and come back. This game is a marathon not a sprint and the award at the end of the game is definitely worth the time

NOW ONWARD TO NG+!!! I don't know if I'll finish in time, but I will not give up until the bitter end. I have the last week of March off, so if I can speedrun the game, I may make it.... but probably not. But I will still give it a shot!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Grammar
  • Like 4

On 3/9/2018 at 9:57 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

Somehow I found it less annoying when Morgana wasn't there to say it :lol: .

It is like when you are a kid and your mom tells you to go to bed vs you saying "I am tired, I will go to bed" 

Some times Morgana told me to go to bed I would water the plant just to show him he wasn't in charge of me :P

• Like 3

@Beyondthegrave07 Great writeup :D!

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Music:

How could you not love the music to the game? It's really tough to pick a few of my favorites, because I really liked the entire soundtrack (and will get it on iTunes in the future). BUT nevertheless, I did pick 10 of them I liked:

1. River in the Desert
  2. Beneath the Mask (Rain)
  3. Layer Cake (Iwai Theme)
  4. Sunset Bridge
  5. The Days When My Mother Was There
  6. Willpower
  7. Last Surprise
  8. Whims of Fate
  9. Life goes on (Exam music)
  10. Life will Change

Great top 10 too. Pretty similar to what mine would be probably. The only difference would be that I'd replace Sunset Bridge with Freedom and Security. That theme was awesome :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

It is like when you are a kid and your mom tells you to go to bed vs you saying "I am tired, I will go to bed" 

Some times Morgana told me to go to bed I would water the plant just to show him he wasn't in charge of me :P

I felt the same way xD

In p4g you just decided you should, but being nagged by a cat was irritating ><

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I felt the same way xD

In p4g you just decided you should, but being nagged by a cat was irritating ><

Especially when it was like "I watched a movie" and he would be like "you must be pretty tired" and I was like "well I thought I would read a little or go talk to Sojiro." and he was like "but that half a DVD you watch tired you out, maybe you should call your teacher over to give you a massage then you might have the energy to read :P

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Especially when it was like "I watched a movie" and he would be like "you must be pretty tired" and I was like "well I thought I would read a little or go talk to Sojiro." and he was like "but that half a DVD you watch tired you out, maybe you should call your teacher over to give you a massage then you might have the energy to read :P

Lol ya they dropped the ball in that respect. Maybe the Japanese version says something else! 

I would have been content with the character yawning and nodding to Morganas question "yawning already? Time for bed I guess" 

That way it just makes the character seem lazy and Morgana is making fun of you. 

27 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Lol ya they dropped the ball in that respect. Maybe the Japanese version says something else! 

I would have been content with the character yawning and nodding to Morganas question "yawning already? Time for bed I guess" 

That way it just makes the character seem lazy and Morgana is making fun of you. 

That would have worked. Or maybe a reward for getting Max with Sojiro is you could have made coffee to keep you awake longer to do 2 activities in the night instead of one (much like the massage)

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 9:48 AM, Spider5786 said:

It is annoying when Morgana makes you go to sleep for no real reason, but the same thing happens when he is not there.

It isn't that annoying. It's just part of what makes Persona... Persona.

It happened in Persona 4 too. And yet people still make "you must be tired" Morgana memes. 

Playing through the Japanese version is tough. I'm not following any guide, just going off the knowledge I have of the game, but remembering to read which specific books when everything is in Japanese is tremendously difficult.

34 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Also you need to leave at least 2 days open to send the Calling Card and steal the treasure :P

Lol, didn't think about that :lol: .

25 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

It isn't that annoying. It's just part of what makes Persona... Persona.

It happened in Persona 4 too. And yet people still make "you must be tired" Morgana memes. 

Playing through the Japanese version is tough. I'm not following any guide, just going off the knowledge I have of the game, but remembering to read which specific books when everything is in Japanese is tremendously difficult.

True, but in P4G it was only when the story progressed, in P5 this happens much more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah, it remains open until April 4th.

then sign me up =) 

12 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Also you need to leave at least 2 days open to send the Calling Card and steal the treasure :P

oh damn,, did you just made the time even shorter..? :o 

Was going to play an hour maybe 2 yesterday.. so I played like 5 hours... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vin_rob said:

then sign me up =) 

Awesome, welcome to the event :D .

2 hours ago, vin_rob said:

oh damn,, did you just made the time even shorter..? :o 

Was going to play an hour maybe 2 yesterday.. so I played like 5 hours... 

2 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

the leave 2 days bit is a joke pertaining to the game

Taliesin is right, the deadline is still April 4.

8 hours ago, vin_rob said:

Yeah I got that, still hope I'll be done around that time not sure how the game wil be if i have to rush the final days... 

Also don't forget if you decide to do anything else that day you can't play the game and don't even think about playing if you have exams the next day.

• Like 2