Cheating to win is it bad?

Lonemankane

35 minutes ago, Starlove- said:

Who in their right mind thinks that using a guide is cheating? You still have to replicate what the guide tells you to do and you still have to put in the effort. You are not bending the rules of the game. Cheating is only acceptable when they are put in the game or when there is an exploit the developers were not careful enough to oversee. 

While I don't personally feel that using a guide is cheating, you are making the game easier by using a tool that the developer did not provide.  Had they wanted players to know where all the secrets and clues were hidden without having to look, they would have built a "hint" function into the game.  Even guides that are available for purchase through retailers come from a third party (so far as I know or can remember) and are not published by the developer.  Just to be sure, I looked up the definition on dictionary.com:

6.  to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers

While a game is not a test in the traditional sense of the word, it can be viewed as a de facto test in that one must test their skills against the design of the game.  Having said all that, I would be majorly screwed if not for the online guides that are so readily available.  My small brain is just not up to the challenge of many of the games I've played.

Eh, as someone that plays a lot of MP games I’m against it when it is in a PvP environment.  Any unfair advantage sours the enjoyment for the person that is playing legit and that isn’t okay.  Cheating in SP games is fine by me, but I don’t do it because I play games for some sort of challenge.

Glitches are okay though.  You gain an advantage over other players, but it usually requires a process and knowledge of the general mechanics of the game.  Plus, glitches are usually patched out super quick nowadays with the gaming industry so heavily invested in MP.

I found one thing that I would like to say is not cheating but I have a feeling some will. Using saves you used to have or backed up on say a usb and using it to cheat a game's perma death mode, like say dead space 3's hardcore mode you can back up the save when ever you like or even in the evil within. While I will not do this I think it is fine, however, I did do it once and that was on hardcore mode for dead space 3 as I had the lovely glitch that killed me at the end for no reason after an in game cutscene and I happen to get there 3 times without doing any glitches or anything so I think am justified on that because it just happen for no real reason. But I will say it is normal in my mind if someone thinks using a back up save is cheating and or don't think it is.

This is the best video I could find of the glitch happening.

it just happens and the only fix I could see was doing co op at the end.

Edited by Lonemankane

• 6 years later...

As long as you aren't ruining the online experience or giving yourself a huge advantage from others then it's fine, if you are using ingame cheats or ingame advantages than it's not cheating as you are just using features in the game. Hacking, however, in a game is 100% cheating.

Edited by Kimura Takahashi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 3:17 PM, Property_Damage said:

If its a single player game i see no harm in it

but if its an active multiplayer game then yea, youre a scumbag giving yourself an exploited advantage over others who play the game legitimately 

This is the only correct answer.

Single player, play however you want.

Multiplayer, follow the rules.

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about whether or not using cheats takes away the challenge because sometimes I don't want a challenge. I want to be the bullet sponge and just have mindless fun with a game. 

If a game allows that via cheats/glitches that are accessible to all, in-game and not through external manipulation, then I'm all for it, single player only of course.

Just as a recent example I finished God of War 3 Remastered, and I used the Titan mode glitch to do it. Now I've played the same game on PS3 years ago and did it legit without the glitch. The challenge at the time was fun, but with the remaster it was the fun of being overpowered from the start and a less stressful playthrough. It's really just a matter of the game and how I feel like approaching it at any given time.

So no, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to use cheats if they're there to use.

So I got into retro gaming a couple years ago, and originally the idea was to start collecting until I realized how stupid expensive some games can be...so instead I've soft modded my Wii and PS2, and well...you can guess from there how I got my games. But one of my favorite aspects of doing this...is the ability to use cheats and cheat devices again. Like the Wii has a whole menu built right in, and you can select from a ton of codes you want to use right before you start your game and it works great for Wii and GameCube. PS2 I have a Codebreaker built right in...it's not as intuitive as the Wii menu, but it works. I really miss this aspect of gaming. 

Nowadays, I get it...being a trophy hunter, cheating would feel kind of wrong when it comes to getting trophies, even though I did it recently with Jet Moto with the Always Turbo Speed cheat. And cheating online is literally just screwing other people, so that I definitely get. So like some people have said, single player is no big deal...but don't cheat online.