Cheating to win is it bad?

Lonemankane

Am talking about using in game cheats like glitches or real cheats like the ones that you can trigger to get like unlimited ammo or something like that, is it bad to use them to win in games like say Max Payne or doom or even saints rows.

In my mind I am ok with using them to win in say a game like house of the dead or something that is being unfairly hard like smash tv or contra. And it helps if using a cheat that helps you get back to the level you was on in a hard game like the password system in some games, not sure if I could of ever beaten the game skullmonkeys without the password system.

Edited by Lonemankane
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Generally speaking, if the dev put it in their game to be exploited, it's fair game. Very few games nowadays have cheat codes though. As time goes on, games generally get easier though, I def had to use cheat codes to finish a lot of PS1 games!

Yeah I miss them days when cheat codes used to be in games as they were fun to use, now adays glitches are kinda the same but you have to kind of break the game to get to cheat, like in fallout 3 there is a way to get the armor and guns from the dlc by using gary 23 to put it all onto to and if you do it right you have near unbreakable gear but if you use it too much it might crash the game or even the glitches to do with oblivion where you can all the effects of some gear like if say a ring gives 4 to all stats you can use a glitch to keep it on you forever but the downside is you won't be able to wear it again.

• Like 2

Doesn't cheating take away some of the satisfaction of doing it without help?  

As far as multiplayer, definitely is bad.  For example, trying to do freeroam in GTA5 is bad enough with the jets wanking everyone, but then you've got Mr. God Mode that repeatedly kills you.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

If its a single player game i see no harm in it

but if its an active multiplayer game then yea, youre a scumbag giving yourself an exploited advantage over others who play the game legitimately 

I think the same on that, however cheating in mp can be good as in say inputting a number of codes and boom you now are playing as a character wearing some kind of silly mask or got a crazy useless gun. I think to something like serious sam's mp that has something like that, if you put the code in right you can to unlock a new character. But killing others in unfair ways is a no go in my book.

3 minutes ago, BlackSquirrell1 said:

Doesn't cheating take away some of the satisfaction of doing it without help?  

As far as multiplayer, definitely is bad.  For example, trying to do freeroam in GTA5 is bad enough with the jets wanking everyone, but then you've got Mr. God Mode that repeatedly kills you.

True but some games people won't be able to beat or do without say a cheat or password system in say something like skullmonkeys you couldn't save on a card so you needed to ether replay from nothing or put in a code to get to where you were last or just trade friends codes to get to their state of the game.

Nah, cheating for me takes away some of the challenges of getting past a part in a game or reaching an achievement. I would say its only condonable if the game is broken or stupidly hard like you stated (could have used them for some of the broken Just Cause 3 challenges) or if it has been included in the game via the developers. 

Cheating in multiplayer on the other hand is something I heartily disagree with, as although you may be having fun you are completely ruining the game for other people. And I'd rather not get banned from some of my favorite games. 

Edited by Lawless_Llama
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawless_Llama said:

Nah, cheating for me takes away some of the challenges of getting past a part in a game or reaching an achievement. I would say its only condonable if the game is broken, or if it has been included in the game via the developers. 

Cheating in multiplayer on the other hand is something I heartily disagree with, as although you may be having fun you are completely ruining the game for other people. And I'd rather not get banned from some of my favorite games. 

I think the same with  most things but to just have fun in a game like the old smash tv without losing all the lifes and or password systems and all that I think a lot of people won't be able to enjoy most of the games, myself as well as to this day I can't beat without somehow cheating on house of the dead 1 as the final boss is who I die to a lot and it is very very hard to win in that game and cheating is how I see people wining, and when I say cheating I mean like getting another controller and duel wield like a mad man to win. I also do think the same with cheating online but I think if it is to say unlock a useless gun/ powerful dum gun or character that can't be unlocked without putting that code in I think it is good as time splitters if I remember right did that I think.

51 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

Am talking about using in game cheats like glitches or real cheats like the ones that you can trigger to get like unlimited ammo or something like that, is it bad to use them to win in games like say max payne or doom or even saints rows.

In my mind I am ok with using them to win in say a game like house of the dead or something that is being unfairly hard like smash tv or contra. And it helps if using a cheat that helps you get back to the level you was on in a hard game like the password system in some games, not sure if I could of ever beaten the game skullmonkeys without the password system.

If you have the same amount of fun with them and without them it's alright. Personally  i feel like shit when cheats are on so i never use them.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 9:07 PM, bezdomnekoty said:

If you have the same amount of fun with them and without them it's alright. Personally  i feel like shit when cheats are on so i never use them.

Well to me I think cheats can be fun or just crazy, I remember there is a mode you can go into in the game the suffering that make the game become like your on drugs and it is well hard, and if you happen to beat the game on that mode, that is a pro thing to do, hell even using the cheats to get the chicken gun that kills everything other then boss in one hit but ammo can't be gotten so it is limited on ammo is fun to have.

Edited by Lonemankane

My philosophy for cheating is that if someone actively uses cheats like hacks or blatantly unfair advantages that other players cannot use to "prove" that they're better whether it be in leaderboards (like PSNProfiles) or any competitive/ranked video game, then it's a pretty scumbag move and I see no redeemable qualities about it.

Cheating in single player games where any player has an equal ground to use/abuse any glitch/exploit to give themselves an advantage is totally fine.

• Like 2

Talking about cheats, anyone knows any multiplayer community where cheats are usual? cheats, hacked accs, exploits, anything of the sorts? I play AC Brotherhood (for a very long time), AC 4 and star wars battlefront 1 and sometimes "weird ppl" show up doing stuff other players, including experienced players normaly can't do. ?

43 minutes ago, Heath Legend said:

If it don't affect me .. I couldn't give less of a fuck than if half of Hollywood was exposed as sex fiends 

.. Oh ..  Wait .. 

Completely off topic, but am I the only one enjoying watching Hellyweird completely implode?  It's a total lawnchair-and-popcorn spectacle. :popcorn: On topic with this thread, if they are built-in cheat codes or a glitch that can be used that the developers are aware of and do not patch and it's single player, go to it.  If we're talking hacking in any way in order to pop trophies or hack a game's code to give yourself say "God mode" invincibility so you finish a game unfairly and earn trophies that way, it's bad.  If we're talking multiplayer and hacking, it's bad.  In other words, if it's anything that the developers added to the game such as cheat codes OR a glitch that they are aware of but do not fix i.e. things that the developers intended to be there or see no problem with then it's fair game.  If it is anything besides that, in other words, any sort of hacking and cheating that the developers did not intend especially in regards to multiplayer then, in my opinion, it's bad.  'Nuff said.

I don't think I've used a cheat code since the flying car cheat in the 3D era GTA games so I could make a tank fly :lol: That's what I always used cheat codes for, I'd beat the game first and if I wanted to keep playing it'd be to screw around with the game and cheats if they were available to see what happens. Using them to beat single player mode is fine, though I absolutely believe trophies should be disabled while codes are active.

Cheating in multiplayer though? I don't usually play multiplayer myself but it can be a competitive environment, that competition amongst players is shot to shit the second a player uses a cheat, hack or whatever to gain an advantage over others as well as spoiling the enjoyment of people that are just there for fun. In short, if someones going to cheat for whatever reason, I'd prefer them to keep it to themselves, in a single player environment where it doesn't affect others. 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn

Here's a couple questions to wrap your brain around.  1)  Is someone that uses a video or written guide to finish a game cheating?  2)  If you've ever boosted anything online, are you a cheater?  I know this is not completely, 100% what this thread was asking, but they kind of go hand-in-hand.

As for me, I would never use an exploit in MP (though God knows I could use the help).  And in SP, if there's an exploit I can use to win, then the developers should have created a tighter game.

• Like 2

Cheats defeat the purpose of games for me. I didnt even bother with the ones in games like GTA, the concept of progression is what makes things fun. Even if you're pissing about wrecking stuff its a lot more amusing to have to break into the army base and get the tank then just spawn one randomly to take on underpowered police.  Each to their own though if it exists in game adn the devs say its ok, then who can argue.

Ultimately though this comes down to if you really gain pleasure from beating things with cheats, I personally don't i'd rather rely on my own skills.

In my opinion it's OK to use cheats when you can unlock them by playing the game like you could in Tony Hawk games. You had to fulfill some requirements to unlock perfect balance for example.

If a game gives you the opportunity to use it why not.

If you have to use a bug and/or glitch for cheats it's not OK. Exploiting something is not intended by the developer and as such shouldn't be used to gain an advantage.

• Like 1

I'll use cheats for the fun of it. Like in Ratchet and Clank for example, collecting all of the gild bolts unlock certain "cheats". I play through the game normally, then during a second run I enable some of the cheats for the hell of it. As long as you are comfortable with using in-game cheats/glitches then who cares.

As for mp... I've been in games that are riddled with hackers and cheaters. It ruins the experience of it all and makes me not want to join another lobby ever. I even took a 4 year break from playing anything mp related cause I had so many negative experiences. 

For single player it's all about your perspective, but in mp, you are the worst kind of person.

To all the people who I never gotten to speak to I thank you for the your replys on this and I am glad we got to take this into a longer forum, but I have to say Bilpe said is well good thing to ask yourself, does using a guide mean your cheating and if so is it bad? I mean in terms of getting say a long and slow list of things done, thing of something like silent hill, not many would know how to get the dog ending unless you look all over the place and you do everything on each play of it.

5 hours ago, Bilpe said:

Here's a couple questions to wrap your brain around.  1)  Is someone that uses a video or written guide to finish a game cheating?  2)  If you've ever boosted anything online, are you a cheater?  I know this is not completely, 100% what this thread was asking, but they kind of go hand-in-hand.

I however would think myself using a guide is normal as I hardly think no one wants to go out and look everywhere and do everything in say something in silent hill to get an ending or layers of fear as all the endings are hard to get and most of the hidden ones take a lot out the player to find but that is me. Also does anyone here think a password system is bad in a game that does not let you save your game?

Who in their right mind thinks that using a guide is cheating? You still have to replicate what the guide tells you to do and you still have to put in the effort. You are not bending the rules of the game. Cheating is only acceptable when they are put in the game or when there is an exploit the developers were not careful enough to oversee. Although that last one is boarderline for me, I can't really blame people if it's actually in the game. Bloodborne has this glitch where you could cheat millions of blood vessels to level up insanely quick and pretty much be overpowered for the whole thing. Never used it myself, but eh, I don't really mind that much. FF9 has a speedhack implemented in the game together with some other cheats. Even though gutted it was in the game to begin with, can't blame people for utilising what they actually put in the game. However, when you are using software outside of the game to get things done, then you are cheating. See FF9 Skip Rope Trophy. 
Single player or not, cheating is cheating. It should not be normalized, because I've seen some stupid things being said in the past. Stuff like "I don't have time" or "I'm a college student". Don't get the trophy then. These people to me are bonckers. You know that you cheated it, you know that you really didn't deserve it, but you go for it anyway. You're only fooling yourself when you do that. It's also usually these people who say stuff like 'it's just a trophy'. I agree with them, though, it is just a trophy, then why cheat it instead of leave it alone? Sure as hell seems like it's more than just a trophy to these people. 

Tldr: If it's in the game, or a glitch, then sure, whatever. If it isn't and you have to use software out of the game, then you are cheating and you should face the concequences if caught. 

Edited by Starlove-
  • Like 2