Avengers: Infinity War - Official 1st Trailer.

Hadeshii

"Who the hell are you guys?"

Needs another trailer now with the Guardians featured a little more now.

But I am curious, the part in the trailer with Strange and Wong looking over a downed Bruce Banner... is that to do with Thor: Ragnarok perchance? Just asking as I've not been around to watching that movie yet, but I will do before Infinity War comes out.

Hmmm, I was always wondering ...

Well, I don't want to hurt anybody's interests and feelings but I came here to ask: What exactly is there about Marvel superheroes? I mean ... imo Iron Man had some mediocre movies but all the others just seem to be sooo overrated and ridiculous to me. Today I watched the trailer above and all I was asking myself afterwards was "Why did I have to chuckle the whole time?"

I just came here to ask if there's anybody who can explain the sense and good things behind Marvel's superheroes who seem so preposterous to me. This is not a hate message! :D I just want to ... yeah, to start liking (or comprehending) it somehow.

Edited by triplejmzu8

Well, I watched the trailer a couple of hours ago after learning that the official trailer would be released today from that teaser published yesterday.

And, to be honest, it was AMAZING.

THIS is how you build an actual Cinematic Universe, with decent storytelling (this may be debatable) and classic, interesting characters. What once started in Iron Man way back in 2007, and linked together many fan-favorite Marvel characters, is now reaching its climax next year, and I cannot wait to see it.

2018 is already looking as an amazing year for superhero movies. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: I'm not saying that DC's Cinematic Universe doesn't have it's merits, but there's a difference between a Cinematic Universe that spans 10 years, several movies and a cast of well-adapted iconic characters (not to say DC doesn't have it's own, I think Henry Cavill is the perfect actor for the Superman role, for example) that is now reaching it's peak storytelling and popularity-wise, to a clearly rushed, not well planified Cinematic Universe as WB tried to do with DC's equally amazing lore and characters. The difference is clear, and now Marvel and Disney are, 10 years later, getting the benefits that all that work and dedication to the Marvel Universe created.

Edited by DPJUST14

1 hour ago, triplejmzu8 said:

Well, I don't want to hurt anybody's interests and feelings but I came here to ask: What exactly is there about Marvel superheroes? I mean ... imo Iron Man had some mediocre movies but all the others just seem to be sooo overrated and ridiculous to me. Today I watched the trailer above and all I was asking myself afterwards was "Why did I have to chuckle the whole time?"

I just came here to ask if there's anybody who can explain the sense and good things behind Marvel's superheroes who seem so preposterous to me. This is not a hate message! :D I just want to ... yeah, to start liking (or comprehending) it somehow.

The first Iron Man is absolutely not mediocre. And it's kind of hard to elaborate on  what makes this franchise good when you're not really describing why you dislike Marvel's superhero line up, just saying you don't.

43 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Only took four comments!

rPNCqww.jpg

He's right, you know.

This is getting such a strong reception because it feels earned. 10 years of material are behind this - it's not a rushed train wreck with no consistency or clear, defined vision.

27 minutes ago, Happy said:

Good luck to the writers team balancing the script with all these characters in the movie.

I thought about this, too. But I think they've set a good enough foundation to do it well.

• Like 1

Well, that looks amazing. Marvel movies just keep getting bigger and better and this looks like it could easily be the best one yet. The Guardians of the Galaxy are my favorite Marvel movies so hopefully they will get a decent amount of screentime. 

1 hour ago, triplejmzu8 said:

They're just fun, silly action movies. They don't take themselves too seriously and for the most part, have interesting story lines and good action. If you don't like them then you don't like them, there is nothing wrong with that.

Parker

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

He's right, you know.

This is getting such a strong reception because it feels earned. 10 years of material are behind this - it's not a rushed train wreck with no consistency or clear, defined vision.

I personally disagree and feel Marvel has been getting a pass of late despite slipping into mediocrity. Take Thor: Ragnarok for instance: it essentially came down to slapstick comedy in a poor attempt at catching lightning in a bottle as the first GotG did.

But we're supposed to be talking about a trailer. If Marvel knows anything, it's how to properly market their product with superior branding -- of course their trailers are good as they've had a lot of practice at it. Despite knowing how to properly market their films, however, some of their finished products have fallen a bit flat of late, e.g., Civil War (it had the potential to be great, but ended up being 'pretty good' for me, with Strange being 'good' and Ragnarok being 'meh').

Side note in response to the latter part of your statement: As disappointed as I've been with DCU on the whole (BvS), I do understand why the universe feels a bit rushed (it's playing catch-up after all, which is never a good thing).

It is definitely interesting to see how fans and media alike respond to Thanos' look as opposed to Apocalypse being likened to Ivan Ooze, but that's a discussion for another day.

tl;dr I'm calming my tits and looking forward to Infinity Wars with cautious optimism. In my opinion it'll need to kill off some major characters if we fans are to take it seriously.

Edited by TheLakota

8 hours ago, TheLakota said:

I personally disagree and feel Marvel has been getting a pass of late despite slipping into mediocrity. Take Thor: Ragnarok for instance: it essentially came down to slapstick comedy in a poor attempt at catching lightning in a bottle as the first GotG did.

But we're supposed to be talking about a trailer. If Marvel knows anything, it's how to properly market their product with superior branding -- of course their trailers are good as they've had a lot of practice at it. Despite knowing how to properly market their films, however, some of their finished products have fallen a bit flat of late, e.g., Civil War (it had the potential to be great, but ended up being 'pretty good' for me, with Strange being 'good' and Ragnarok being 'meh').

Side note in response to the latter part of your statement: As disappointed as I've been with DCU on the whole (BvS), I do understand why the universe feels a bit rushed (it's playing catch-up after all, which is never a good thing).

It is definitely interesting to see how fans and media alike respond to Thanos' look as opposed to Apocalypse being likened to Ivan Ooze, but that's a discussion for another day.

tl;dr I'm calming my tits and looking forward to Infinity Wars with cautious optimism. In my opinion it'll need to kill off some major characters if we fans are to take it seriously.

That's my take away too, actually. I think at this point Tony Stark HAS to die. RDJ's contract is running out and recasting will feel cheap, same with Captain America. I think the death of characters that important will genuinely give this universe weight.

I remember seeing Iron Man back in 2008 and loved every minute of it, but I never imagined it would lead up to this 10 years later. Marvel rarely does villains right, but I feel like they're really going to nail Thanos. I just hope we get to see him smack Hulk like a fly with his signature backhand. I hope they have some unexpected character reveals that they don't put into the trailers like maybe Red Skull returning as a member of Thanos' black order or teasing a character for a future film. It would also be cool to have a quick cameo from the Defenders or Punisher fighting aliens on the streets or something like that.

I wish DC would take their time with their universe and build it up like Marvel. Infinity War and the yet-to-be-named second part will mark the end of an era for the MCU and this was the perfect time for DC to begin setting up for potentially their own 10 year run. Instead we've already got a Justice League film and although I did enjoy it more than the original Avengers, it felt lacking. Justice League did however, set up in ways to connect to the DC universe. I just hope that they do not rush into creating these Justice League films before developing the rest of the Justice League through their solo films.

Overall next year is going to be a great year for comic book fans with Infinity War, Black Panther, Ant-Man 2, Deadpool 2, Venom and Aquaman. 

Saw it today in front of Star Wars and it looks great. Really looking forward to this as well as many other movies coming out in 2018.

On 29/11/2017 at 8:38 PM, triplejmzu8 said:

Some people like to be swept away by bigger than life heroes in outlandish plots. Same reason the Star Wars movies do so well, and Jurassic Park, and Lord Of The Rings, and other movies that might not win awards for their dialogue writing, but are entertaining and (literally) fantastic.

Either you get it or you don't - an ex-colleague of mine can't get into anything that has non-realistic elements. Personally, it's the stuff I love best.

On 29/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, LightningVII- said:

Just my opinion, I don't dislike DC. I just thought the trailer for Justice League was terrible in comparison to this.

Hardly a big deal. :dunno:

I was disappointed with the Justice League movie. Batman is perhaps my favourite serious comic book character (wording it like that because he's second to Deadpool), but these new DC movies have all been a drag. Wonder Woman was cool though.

On 30/11/2017 at 0:05 PM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

That's my take away too, actually. I think at this point Tony Stark HAS to die. RDJ's contract is running out and recasting will feel cheap, same with Captain America. I think the death of characters that important will genuinely give this universe weight.

Mèh. No need for recasting, kill them off and keep the name - we already have a second Iron Man in War Machine (thiugh not a second Tony Stark in character) and Cap has continuously struggled to keep up in the new age, might not even need a new one.

I wouldn't mind Hawkeye dying. He and Black Widow never felt at home in between the actual supers to me (Tony still counts as super thanks to his suit being able to deal tons of damage), and I never liked the Hawkeye character, even less thanks to Avengers 2 and us being told for some reason that he's the heart of the group - whatever, I'm not buying it.

I do agree that there should be some non-cheap deaths in Infinity War though I don't agree with the post you quoted; I think Marvel has had a bit of mediocrity early one (Iron Man 2-3, Avengers 2, Thor 2, Cap 1) but the movies have been getting better and better in my eyes.

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pickle Rick said:

I was disappointed with the Justice League movie. Batman is perhaps my favourite serious comic book character (wording it like that because he's second to Deadpool), but these new DC movies have all been a drag. Wonder Woman was cool though

A friend said the same, he was super excited to see it and when he got back and told me about it he wasn't buzzing of the experience rather said it was alright. The problem with DC is they are trying to rush and bring this universe all-together and it's just becoming a mess.

I haven't seen it myself but the trailer like I was referring to didn't hype me up in the slightest, just made me want to put it on hold constantly. Wonder Woman was definitely cool, I appreciated that movie a lot more than the others in that cinema universe.

12 minutes ago, LightningVII- said:

A friend said the same, he was super excited to see it and when he got back and told me about it he wasn't buzzing of the experience rather said it was alright. The problem with DC is they are trying to rush and bring this universe all-together and it's just becoming a mess.

I haven't seen it myself but the trailer like I was referring to didn't hype me up in the slightest, just made me want to put it on hold constantly. Wonder Woman was definitely cool, I appreciated that movie a lot more than the others in that cinema universe.

Yeah in the trailer, it all felt like "Marvel Did It", especially Flash being a poor substitute for Spider-Man. DC has a great gallery with much more potential than this. Imagine Tim Burton's Batman teaming up with Ryan Reynolds's Green Lantern (the latter's movie wasn't amazing but it was neither the fault of the character nor of Reynolds).

Luckily the movie was better than the trailer made me expect. It dragged on for much too long though, and could have been much better if they hadn't rushed thing or hadn't used Snyder yet again. Here is the big problem with sticking to one director for most of your franchise; if his initial approach sucks then it is not easily corrected in later installments.