The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Oceans Rising.   9/10

josh and pam are up against the odds in this doosmday epic. can they rise to the occasion and save the world?

Airplane vs Volcano.  8/10

in my opinion, a modern take on the 90's classic Speed. except instead of a bus, its a plane and instead of a bomb exploding, its a volcano exploding. can the souls on board the air bus come together and survive one hell of a flight?

p16988731_p_v8_ab.jpg

Well, when they announced an indie midquel to Braveheart--starring one of my all-time favourite actors reprising his role--you knew I was going to be there on day one. Now, granted, I wasn't necessarily expecting much, but even so I was pleasantly surprised.

Think of it as a Kill Bill, Vol. 2 type deal. Less an epic quasi-historical drama with large-scale battle scenes, more of a low-key, intimate character study. The way it delves into the Bruce's never-ending battle with his own doubts and failures in his quest to achieve his destiny in becoming the rightful king of Scotland, reminds me of another king who suffered greatly in the unforgiving onslaught of winter. You know, from a certain disgraced TV show to which the tone of this movie owns a great deal, which in turn owes a little something to Braveheart anyways.

The realities and the conscientious burden of kingly ambition are explored in profound and resonant prose that is always tethered by realistic and likeable characters. And you don't need massive Hollywood sets when you have the jaw-dropping highlands of Scotland in the wintertime.

As a lifelong supporter of FFFFFRRRRREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOMMM, this gets my whole-hearted stamp of approval. Alba gu brath!

Citizen-Kane-Orson-Welles.jpg

This movie is almost 80 years old and is still a beautiful looking movie.

EDIT- I just did some math and Welles was 26 when this movie released...and it was his first film ever.

When he was 24 or 25 he went about and made one of the greatest films ever...on his first try.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 2