The last anime you saw?

Aexuz

Hi Score Girl II (complete, enjoyment: 4.5/5)

hi-score-girl-ii-13114.jpg?t=1553145523

I think that was one of the most touching things I've watch this year. :blink: It had a pretty emotional ending, it wasn't perfect, but I'd really like the see a 3rd season now... only I think that's where the manga ended as well, so if we ever do get another season, it'll probably be a really long time away. :(

• Like 2

104880.jpg

NekoPara (2020)

Enjoyment: 8/10

NekoPara is a series that never fails to put a smile on my face, and the newest installment in the anime series is no different. As always, it doesn't feature much in terms of story, but that's perfectly fine to me because what I seek in NekoPara isn't that, but merely a fun time with the varied neko cast and the amusing (and sometimes wild :giggle:) situations our catgirls find themselves in. What's more, a new flavored kitty has joined the family! Shy at first, Cacao eventually opens up to everyone and has her cute moments too. A welcome addition to the cast, as she makes it even livelier. She looks to be exclusive to the anime from what I've read, but I hope we'll see more of her in the future! =3

AlertRashGourami-size_restricted.gif

If you like catgirls and are looking for a fun time, NekoPara certainly doesn't disappoint. ^w^ Its nature and simplicity make it very easy to get into, and its lightheartedness brings a sense of comfort that I've rarely felt elsewhere. I definitely look forward to Volume 4 of the VN, which has sadly been delayed... yet again, like most things these days. =(

Edited by cr1s
  • Like 2

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS - 26 Episodes - 2007

105920l.jpg

Enjoyment Score: 6 out of 10

I actually finished watching Nanoha's third season about a month ago. Only now is when I have the time to write something about it. So, the first thing I want to mention about it is that, compared to how awesome the A's season felt, this one came off underwhelming for the most part. Part of that is due to the introduction of a crapton of extra characters that seem to serve no purpose to the series. A's had already expanded the cast considerably, but StrikerS took that idea even further and just ran with it... in a bad way. Design-wise, these characters aren't exactly bad. Characters like Caro and some of the androids do have potential. The thing is that StrikerS never goes into detail as to why those characters exist or what are their motivations. They are never fully fleshed out and they're just there for the sake of being there and that's a completely missed opportunity. Not to mention that having to follow so many characters in a single series is just plain confusing.

The plot is interesting, but has a very slow progression and only manages to get exciting towards the end. Here, we can see how the characters are now grown-ups and are working in the Time-Space Administration Bureau has certified magicians. At first, I wasn't sure how the series was going to pull off the "magical girl" vibe with everyone being an adult. I mean... It's kind of odd to explain. You'd normally expect a young girl or a group of them, hence the mahou shoujo genre, but here, it just works. We have transformation scenes, magical mascots, friendship and an evil plot to be thwarted. It IS a mahou shoujo series... It just happens that everyone is an adult now. Anyways, going back to the plot. Its progression makes sense, however, there are no shocking revelations whatsoever like with the previous seasons, and most of the first half of the series relates to Nanoha and Fate inducting the new characters in the magical arts. Which is okay, but I feel it dragged on way too long, effectively making the first half of the series boring. Fortunately enough, things do get interesting later on, by the time when Vivio appears. We do get some nice good guys vs. bad guys moments towards the end of the series, cool fights, big magical beams of "friendship," and so on. The final 10 episodes I'd say are pretty cool to watch, and they kept me entertained until the conclusion.

So, that's Nanoha StrikerS for you. Boring at the beginning, way too many characters for its own good, and the "friendship" power only gets good near the end, probably when most people have stopped watching the series already. If you have the patience to sit through, I'd say it is an okay show. I was going to give it a 4 or 5 at MAL, but the last few episodes managed to change my score, so yeah.

Best Girl?

Spoiler

164820.jpg

Super cute and central to the plot, nice. A bit more of development would have been nice.

I also like Fate and Vita-chan too... But, well, I want to give the spotlight to Vivio here.

Spoiler

Mahou.Shoujo.Lyrical.Nanoha.StrikerS.ful

Accurate representation of the first half of the series. ↑

Spoiler

Takamachi.Nanoha.full.2381869.gif

54f.gif

And an accurate representation of the second half of the series.

I actually really enjoyed this part. It was freakin' awesome. ?

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 3

Dorohedoro Episode 3-12 (Finished)

104786.jpg

Enjoyment level 9

Hole—a dark, decrepit, and disorderly district where the strong prey on the weak and death is an ordinary occurrence—is all but befitting of the name given to it. A realm separated from law and ethics, it is a testing ground to the magic users who dominate it. As a race occupying the highest rungs of their society, the magic users think of the denizens of Hole as no more than insects. Murdered, mutilated, and made experiments without a second thought, the powerless Hole dwellers litter the halls of Hole's hospital on a daily basis.

Possessing free access to and from the cesspool, and with little challenge to their authority, the magic users appear indomitable to most—aside for a few. Kaiman, more reptile than man, is one such individual. He hunts them on a heedless quest for answers with only a trusted pair of bayonets and his immunity to magic. Cursed by his appearance and tormented by nightmares, magic users are his only clue to restoring his life to normal. With his biggest obstacle being his stomach, his female companion Nikaidou, who runs the restaurant Hungry Bug, is his greatest ally.

Set in a gritty world of hellish design, Dorohedoro manages a healthy blend of comedy and lightheartedness with death and carnage. Taking plenty of twists and turns while following the lives of Hole's residents, it weaves a unique world of unearthly origin and dreary appearance not for the squeamish or easily disturbed.

Watched the first two episodes while it was airing in japan but then I saw it was a Netflix anime so I waited until it came west to continue watching.

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete Episode 1-12 (Finished)

66637.jpg

Enjoyment level 9

Kaori Sasaki—a member of Uchihama Academy’s Astronomy Club—confesses to Sou Akiyama, but later that evening, she dies in a tragic road accident. Her friends and fellow club members mourn her death in a local hospital. Yet she shows up to school the following day, and no one senses anything amiss.

The day finishes without any unusual incidents, and the group of friends plans for the upcoming cultural festival. Suddenly, the room is shaken by an unnatural earthquake. Everyone splits up to investigate—except for Nagisa Hanamiya, who stays behind. As everyone leaves, Nagisa notices that the odd relic-like cube that she was toying with starts emitting a strange blue light. Meanwhile, Sou stumbles upon an unconscious, naked girl lying in a pool of water.

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete follows the Astronomy Club’s increasingly bizarre adventures—from dealing with ghosts to quelling unrests between student clubs. All the while, they unravel the circumstances behind the sudden appearance of a new transfer student.

One waifu added to the never ending harem(I guess I'm really weak to Twintails)

u6sKegs.gif

tumblr_ndt1vyvnCs1sqbbypo1_400.gifv

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun Episode 13-23 (Finished)

103187.jpg

Enjoyment level 9

Fourteen-year-old Iruma Suzuki has been unfortunate all his life, having to work to earn money for his irresponsible parents despite being underage. One day, he finds out that his parents sold him to the demon Sullivan. However, Iruma's worries about what will become of him are soon relieved, for Sullivan merely wants a grandchild, pampering him and making him attend the demon school Babyls.

At first, Iruma tries to keep a low profile in fear of his peers discovering that he is human. Unfortunately, this ends up being more difficult than he expected. It turns out that Sullivan himself is the chairman of the school, and everyone expects him to become the next Demon King!

Iruma immediately finds himself in an outrageous situation when he has to chant a forbidden spell in front of the entire school. With this, Iruma instantly earns a reputation he does not want. Even so, he is bound to be roped into more bizarre circumstances.

Amelie is still the girl I liked the most in Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (But that Idol i mean Akudol is 2nd)

maxresdefault.jpg

Looking forward to season 2, hopefully the anime in 2021 won't be hit that bad by the delays

Now that most of the Spring season anime has gotten 10 episodes or so without that much delay(besides the ones that got delay to next season)

Time to watch the ones I had a interest in, who knows some of them might become a new favorite of mine or a new waifu/s or both.

• Like 3

Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV (finished)

bx21673-ZBtulBUWLW5p.jpg

I don't know why I didn't watch XV sooner, but I finally got to it about three weeks ago. AXZ was a massive improvement over GX, and XV is even better. It's nearly a perfect conclusion to the series. Ending spoilers: 

Spoiler

If there's one main problem I had with this season, it's Noble Red. I feel like the writers wanted people to feel sympathetic towards them, but I just couldn't. "We don't want to be monsters, brb gotta get 70k people killed for no reason" fuck off. I wish they would have actually died when they were "killed" by Shem-Ha. At least they were useful for something in the end. I also thought that the writers were especially cruel to Tsubasa this season. This isn't really a complaint, but rather an observation. Was it really necessary to make her go through all that? Hasn't she suffered enough? I don't know, it just seemed... well, cruel.

I think it's pretty clear what Hibiki and Miku were going to say to each other after the last episode ended. In fact, this is what happened, and nothing can convince me otherwise:

93Mffua.jpg

source

Kanamemo (finished)

6b97f9f6774f7378efd6138c1eb0aaee.jpg

Like with Hidamari Sketch, this has been on my "to watch" list for a long time now. For a comedy it starts out on a very depressing note. Kana's grandmother, her only legal guardian left, has died, leaving Kana all alone. She then runs away from home (quite literally) due to a misunderstanding. I expected Kanamemo to be a dumb comedy I didn't have to think too hard about, and it kind of is that way most of the time. However, what I didn't expect was a heartwarming story about an orphan being welcomed into a new "family" of sorts, a surprisingly realistic depiction of grief, and a few seriously hard-hitting emotional moments. It also has actual yuri in it, which is a huge plus for me. While not the main focus of the anime, the relationship between Yume and Yuuki is the cutest thing ever.

Spoiler

VGx0dsz.gif

For what I imagine wasn't an anime with a huge budget to work with, the voice cast is impressive. Toyosaki Aki is the voice of Kana, who also voiced Yui (K-On) only one season prior to this. Also, Horie Yui, Kugimiya Rie, and Kitamura Eri all being part of the main cast is amazing. 

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume (finished)

bx21715-lruOD46Lr3jT.jpg

Another from my "to watch" list (I'm finally going through it). I found out about this anime because of an Agari x Koyori doujin through completely normal means, yeah. Despite having little interest in ping pong, Flaming (Homo) Ping Pong Girls Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume makes the sport look interesting. Sometimes it was so ridiculous (in a good way) that I forgot I was watching ping pong in the first place. By the end I ended up liking Koyori the most. 32qCPb0.gif

The way she smiles while playing ping pong is adorable, and her interactions with Agari are always great. Speaking of which, there are many good opportunities for out of context screenshots in this anime. This is one of my personal favorites:

Spoiler

6WhuDmC.png

14 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS - 26 Episodes - 2007

It seems like you summed up exactly how I feel about Strikers. 12-14 episodes would've made more sense; there's so much pointless filler that it is painful. A sequel akin to the timeskip at the end of A's would've made more sense. There was a lot of potential with the setting and characters of this series, but what we ended up getting was Strikers and... nope, not even going to say the name. I'm still hopeful that the movies will be better; I've said this way too many times now, but I really need to get around to watching those. Starting with the recap movies to remind myself why I loved this series originally sounds like a good idea.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ariadne said:

Another from my "to watch" list (I'm finally going through it). I found out about this anime because of an Agari x Koyori doujin through completely normal means, yeah. Despite having little interest in ping pong, Flaming (Homo) Ping Pong Girls Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume makes the sport look interesting. Sometimes it was so ridiculous (in a good way) that I forgot I was watching ping pong in the first place. By the end I ended up liking Koyori the most. 

Hmmm... so much culture, I'm impressed. You really know your material. ;)xD

9 hours ago, Ariadne said:

It seems like you summed up exactly how I feel about Strikers. 12-14 episodes would've made more sense; there's so much pointless filler that it is painful. A sequel akin to the timeskip at the end of A's would've made more sense. There was a lot of potential with the setting and characters of this series, but what we ended up getting was Strikers and... nope, not even going to say the name. I'm still hopeful that the movies will be better; I've said this way too many times now, but I really need to get around to watching those. Starting with the recap movies to remind myself why I loved this series originally sounds like a good idea.

A's was amazing compared to StrikerS. A much more condensed series, with a nice balance of emotional moments, a proper twist, cool action sequences, and even though it introduced plenty of new characters to the franchise, they all had a clear purpose and were reasonably developed. I just don't understand how StrikerS, with more than twice the episode count, did nothing interesting with its characters in fleshing them out. I mean, the potential is there, but there was so much pointless filler at the start of the series that it was just painful to sit through. When the good stuff actually starts happening near the end, it's way too late for that.

Oh...yeah... Vivio. I'm a bit fearful of that one now, lol. ?

The movies, I have them here. From what I've read, they're pretty great. Even the recap ones, as they spruce up things in those seasons in a nice way. I just need to find the time to sit down and watch them. x3

14 hours ago, JEDI_BROTHERS said:

I'm new to watching anime so sorry if I sound lame but the last one I watched was sailor moon recently. I really enjoy the show. Are there any animes you all would recommend?

Hey man, welcome!

I always recommend my favorite, favorite shows. I don't think they are exactly like Sailor Moon, but they're pretty great series overall:

- Clannad

- Death Note

- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

- Angel Beats!

- Little Busters!

- Sword Art Online

- Lucky Star

- K-On!

- No Game No Life

- Mahou Shojo★Madoka Magica

- One-Punch Man

- Made in Abyss

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Again, these are just a bunch of series I've personally enjoyed, and they all are from a wide assortment of genres. Probably Madoka is the only one there that is "kind of similar" to Sailor Moon, since they're both in the mahou shoujo genre, so you may want to check that one out first. Have fun and let us know your thoughts on whatever you decide to watch. :)

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

A's was amazing compared to StrikerS. A much more condensed series, with a nice balance of emotional moments, a proper twist, cool action sequences, and even though it introduced plenty of new characters to the franchise, they all had a clear purpose and were reasonably developed. I just don't understand how StrikerS, with more than twice the episode count, did nothing interesting with its characters in fleshing them out. I mean, the potential is there, but there was so much pointless filler at the start of the series that it was just painful to sit through. When the good stuff actually starts happening near the end, it's way too late for that.

Oh...yeah... Vivio. I'm a bit fearful of that one now, lol. 1f605.png

The movies, I have them here. From what I've read, they're pretty great. Even the recap ones, as they spruce up things in those seasons in a nice way. I just need to find the time to sit down and watch them. x3

Hey man, welcome!

I always recommend my favorite, favorite shows. I don't think they are exactly like Sailor Moon, but they're pretty great series overall:

- Clannad

- Death Note

- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

- Angel Beats!

- Little Busters!

- Sword Art Online

- Lucky Star

- K-On!

- No Game No Life

- Mahou Shojo★Madoka Magica

- One-Punch Man

- Made in Abyss

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Again, these are just a bunch of series I've personally enjoyed, and they all are from a wide assortment of genres. Probably Madoka is the only one there that is "kind of similar" to Sailor Moon, since they're both in the mahou shoujo genre, so you may want to check that one out first. Have fun and let us know your thoughts on whatever you decide to watch. :)

I started with sailor moon cause it was easy to get into, I don't mind something new and original, thank you

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Oh...yeah... Vivio. I'm a bit fearful of that one now, lol. 1f605.png

I may not have a lot of experience when it comes to anime, but there is one "section" I am well versed in lol.

5JPVjsd.png

Speaking of which, I recently switched to AniList, which is how I was able to see these stats. While I like the overall look of MAL more, AniList is more mobile friendly, has less of a limit on favorites, and has a number of different stats, charts, and graphs.

My only guess for why StrikerS turned out the way it did is that it was originally meant to be half the length. Then, someone in charge of the production decided that it needed to be 26 episodes, long after work on it had already started. When you consider that possibility, it makes sense why it seems to have a lot of filler. What would cause this scenario, I have no idea; I can't pretend to know how anime production works.

Who knows, maybe you'll end up liking it? ...that's being far too optimistic, probably. 

I "acquired" the first two movies last night, so that's a start at least. I'll likely get to them after finishing Long Riders, which I just started recently. At this point, I might as well make it my goal to watch every "cute girls doing cute things" anime. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 4:21 AM, Ariadne said:

Speaking of which, I recently switched to AniList, which is how I was able to see these stats. While I like the overall look of MAL more, AniList is more mobile friendly, has less of a limit on favorites, and has a number of different stats, charts, and graphs.

My only guess for why StrikerS turned out the way it did is that it was originally meant to be half the length. Then, someone in charge of the production decided that it needed to be 26 episodes, long after work on it had already started. When you consider that possibility, it makes sense why it seems to have a lot of filler. What would cause this scenario, I have no idea; I can't pretend to know how anime production works.

Who knows, maybe you'll end up liking it? ...that's being far too optimistic, probably. 

I "acquired" the first two movies last night, so that's a start at least. I'll likely get to them after finishing Long Riders, which I just started recently. At this point, I might as well make it my goal to watch every "cute girls doing cute things" anime. 

Hmm, it looks nicer to me than MAL. :hmm: Thanks for sharing that site with me.

That's quite a revelation actually. I don't know much about anime production either, but having to overstretch a story more than how it was intended to be told could have impacted on its quality severely. I mean, A's 13 episodes were straight to the point and were much enjoyable due to that. I can imagine the development team of StrikerS (the writers most likely) being at a loss at the thought of having to extend their narrative at twice the episode count they had intended.

Lol I'm going to try my best and approach at it in the most optimistic of ways. What could possibly go wrong? xD xP

Nice "acquisition" there. ;) Awesome. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on them. I'm at a standstill with anime at the moment due to having too much in-between. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to it soon. :)

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 1

Last anime I watched was Code Geass: Resurrection 

i thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5/10

the other night I watched Promare.

I like it a lot. Some pacing issues and random things that I felt weren't fully explained enough. But i give it 7/10

BONUS QUESTION

What anime or game is this figure from? she looks dope. The blue winged horned one

Screenshot_20200531-000110_Chrome.jpg

Code_Geass_R1_box_set_cover.jpg

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

R1 (2006-2007) & R2 (2008)

Enjoyment:

R1 - 9/10

R2 - 10/10

What a series! I was thoroughly invested in it all. It's one of those series that will keep you on the edge of your seat. And those plot twists... There are plenty of them and most of them happen when you least expect it. But they all hit hard, especially when you have such a terrific cast of characters. Lelouch was an unorthodox choice as the main character, but they've handled him exceptionally well. I got a little worried towards the end as to how they'd end R2 given how the story was unfolding, but it's the best ending I can think of. Unfortunately, both seasons had some minor pacing issues, but this series is masterfully crafted otherwise.

(Edit: After further deliberation, I've revised R2's rating to a 10/10 as I feel like it truly deserves it, regardless of its minor flaws. R2 is thus the fifth entry in the anime world to get a perfect score from me.)

Absolutely amazing and mind-blowing series that has quickly become one of my favorites. I give it 9.5 pizzas out of 10. I'm going to take a little break from Code Geass, but I look forward to returning to it soon. ^_^

Up Next: Girls & Panzer. Cute girls and WWII tank action? Count me in for that! :awesome:

Edited by cr1s
Revised R2's rating to a 10/10.
  • Like 4

Anime: Baki, pt 3 (Netflix)

Sorry I’m not too inspired to write a lot of praise for this anime.  It started off amazing with the Speck and Dorian fights, but the whole portrayal of ‘silliness’ of Muhammad Ali and his son is just too much.  Not even inspired anymore to watch the ultimate fight of Baki and Yujiro, I really could care less.  ‘Kegan Ashura’ anime on Netflix seems a lot more consistent and serious.

Castle Town Dandelion - 7/10

castle-town-dandelion-6791.jpg?t=1549992

Meet Akane Sakurada, the fourth of nine children (don't be fooled by all the different hair colors; they're all related). She and her family live in a normal house, go to normal schools, and live a mostly normal life. Only two things make them stand out. 1. Their father is the king of Japan. 2. Everyone in the family has a unique superpower. The Sakurada family is bombarded by cameras and press nonstop, much to Akane's dismay. When the king announces that he will be holding an election for one of his children to claim the throne, Akane sets forth on a mission to become king and use her authority to grant her a private life once and for all.

With there being nine siblings, you would think that some characters would stand out much more than others. And you would be right! The youngest siblings in particular have far less screen time than the others outside of the few segments dedicated to them. That being said, most of the other characters do get some development throughout the series, which was nice to see. This was overall a fun little series to watch, but at the same time, nothing really made it stand out enough for me to rate it any higher. Also, the opening is unfortunately not a bop, but the ending is decent.

• Like 3

Shachou, Battle no Jikan Desu! Episode 1-10

106309.jpg

Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle Episode 1-10

105719.jpg

Princess Connect! Re:Dive Episode 1-10

106070.jpg

Arte Episode 1-4

106945.jpg

Got up to date with 3 anime well one of them got Episode 11 delayed but I'm fine with delays like that then it's the last episodes that get delayed and not episodes almost right in the start.

While watching Arte, I plan to start either the new anime: Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou!/Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... or season 2 anime: Fruits Basket/Honzuki no Gekokujou/Tsugumomo. we see what I end up watching on crunchyroll(btw I watch Arte on Wakanim).

• Like 1

Long Riders! (finished)

bx21171-jOKKgO8jFnmT.jpg

The main reason I had planned to watch this was because of Touyama Nao voicing the main character, Ami. Needless to say, I love her voice; she doesn't even need to try to be cute, she just is. I think it would've been worth watching for that reason alone. However, I was surprised when I found it genuinely interesting. I can't claim to know much about cycling, but I feel as if I learned quite a bit about it from Long Riders. For reference, the farthest distance I've traveled on a bicycle (at one time) was 6 miles (9.65 km). A pitiful number compared to some of the astounding distances traveled (160km!) in this anime.

My favorite character is Ami, though that should be obvious given what I said earlier.

jig2cDx.png

I ended up liking Hinako a lot as well.

tumblr_oky109tbTP1uxybkho1_500.gif

One of my new favorite things is to collect misleading out of context screenshots. Here are some mixed with other stuff. [None of the following screenshots are spoilers. This is to prevent an absurdly long post]

Spoiler

2zS4Cuw.png

ijMCwpG.png

iC8cYNG.png

Not a reference I expected to see in the credits

U1ZXVy9.png

gay

While I have the inability not to see things through yuri lenses, there isn't much to go on here. That said, Aoi really really likes Ami, so much so that the other girls tease her a little over it.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st (finished)

bx4985-3eEPbpZiMWKB.png

Even though I remembered how much I loved the first season and A's, my image of this series was unfortunately marred. The misstep that was StrikerS and the absolutely-terrible-fiery-explosion-trainwreck-with-likely-no-survivors Vivid were to blame. Thankfully, that damage can be reversed, and it was. 

Whenever an anime gets a sequel in the form of a movie, everything leading up to it has to be adapted into a movie (or multiple). That seems to be the case from what I've seen, at least. Whatever the reason, whether it's to have everything in one format, money, or a bit of both, it doesn't concern me if it turns out this well. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st is an excellent retelling of the first season. I'm sure they could've come up with a better title than "The Movie 1st", but that's only a minor issue.

First, I'd like to address the length. The original 13 episodes add up to about 4 hours and 20 minutes, assuming every episode is around 20 minutes long without the opening, ending, and preview. The movie is only 2 hours and 10 minutes. Despite being half the length, it never felt like much was missing; they did a fantastic job condensing the story. The pace seems kind of fast, but in a good way. The only negative I can think of is that it might be hard to follow for those unfamiliar with the original anime. There's also less time to become acquainted with the setting and characters. I can't say for sure because I was already familiar with the series long before watching the movie.

If there's one thing that has very clearly been improved, it's the animation. It's been over two years since I watched the first season, so there's always a chance I could be remembering something incorrectly. This, however, I'm certain about. While everything looks better, the fight scenes are what really stand out. Sure, the transformation scenes are great too, but there are very few of them. [Actual spoilers] 

Spoiler

In particular, the final fight between Nanoha and Fate is the best. I don't think it's something I could explain with words; it has to be seen.

Initially I wanted to use some gifs as examples, but I determined that gifs alone wouldn't do it justice.

The ending is perfect, though I guess that doesn't make it any different from the original. [Spoilers again] 

Spoiler

More specifically, the last scene is one of my favorite anime scenes, even if... it makes me not cry everytime, because that wouldn't happen. Seriously though, that scene is very emotional. Not just to me, but many others based on the comments I've seen on pixiv. There's a lot of art of it, usually titled 「なまえをよんで」 or something similar. On a sort of related note, there's also a massive amount of NanoFate art. I could go on forever about how NanoFate is my favorite pairing, but I won't. 

The rest of this is even less organized than before; it's just my miscellaneous thoughts on the movie that don't really fit together:

I don't remember Raising Heart having so many lines in the original, but that's not a problem. What it did make me consider was this: How is Nanoha able to understand her perfectly? If Nanoha at age nine can already understand English that well as a second language, that's amazing. Maybe the Japanese subtitles are actually appearing for Nanoha as well? Either way it doesn't really matter; I just found it funny to seriously analyze it. 

The song I thought was the opening played after the ending song, which was confusing. To make matters even more confusing, I thought "Bright Stream" was the opening. I remember reading that it was in the movie at one point, but upon looking it up just now, it's actually used in the A's movie. Sort of related fact: Bright Stream also appeared in Dance Dance Revolution (2013), but only as a cover. Speaking further on the music, I love how "Don't be Long" is used as an insert song towards the end. While it's not quite as "hype" as "Take a Shot" (song that played during that part in the original) it fits very well there. I was already very familiar with the song, as it is one of my favorites off the album, Impact Exciter.

I'm looking forward to starting A's and (finally) the sequels that follow soon. I'm not looking forward to Vivid Strike at all, but it can't possibly be worse than Vivid... I hope. While I'd like to pretend that it doesn't exist, it's impossible now that I'm aware of its existence; it's like a curse. The two new main characters are voiced by Ogura Yui and Minase Inori. That's something to look forward to, at least.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:28 AM, Honor_Hand said:

Hmm, it looks nicer to me than MAL. :hmm: Thanks for sharing that site with me.

That's quite a revelation actually. I don't know much about anime production either, but having to overstretch a story more than how it was intended to be told could have impacted on its quality severely. I mean, A's 13 episodes were straight to the point and were much enjoyable due to that. I can imagine the development team of StrikerS (the writers most likely) being at a loss at the thought of having to extend their narrative at twice the episode count they had intended.

Lol I'm going to try my best and approach at it in the most optimistic of ways. What could possibly go wrong? xD xP

Nice "acquisition" there. ;) Awesome. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on them. I'm at a standstill with anime at the moment due to having too much in-between. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to it soon. :)

If you ever want to test it out, it's very easy to export a list from MAL and import it elsewhere.

Recently I was browsing anime that aired in 2016. Somehow I had only watched five from that year, which I found out after looking at a graph. It was then that I saw this: https://anilist.co/anime/21871/ViVid-Strike/

...I didn't know this existed, and I was probably better off that way. Yes, this is a spin-off of Vivid. Maybe if the spin-off of something good is terrible, the reverse will also be true? That makes no sense, but I sure hope so. There is one good sign, though: The studio is Seven Arcs (responsible for the first season, A's, and StrikerS). Vivid was done by A-1 Pictures, a name I've never seen mentioned positively.

That's unfortunate. I've had more time to watch anime only because I haven't felt like doing much else lately; I haven't touched my PS4 in weeks.

On 6/11/2020 at 0:32 PM, Neku-tan said:

I don't understand why this series gets so much hatred. Personally, I really enjoyed it. I think Steins;Gate 0 has a great potential, but maybe not fully used. The story is well written indeed, but there are a few things that work against this series, such as too much slice of life comedy scenes which I didn't like especially the scenes at faris' apartament. I also do not think that the characters were boring and some of them were completely useless, such as Kagari, which IMO had a very large impact on the story. The animation weren't that bad either like the most people says.

Now I just got to play the visual novel and compare what is better.

I think the VN is much better, but part of that has to do with the structure of the story. Think of it like this: a path that goes one way branches off into two paths, and then those paths branch off into even more paths. That explanation probably makes no sense, but the point is that it doesn't work as well in anime format. By following one route, a lot of content is lost. One could argue that the first Steins;Gate is the same, I suppose. However, the story is just a straight line, with the endings merely being stops on the way.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ariadne said:

I think the VN is much better, but part of that has to do with the structure of the story. Think of it like this: a path that goes one way branches off into two paths, and then those paths branch off into even more paths. That explanation probably makes no sense, but the point is that it doesn't work as well in anime format. By following one route, a lot of content is lost. One could argue that the first Steins;Gate is the same, I suppose. However, the story is just a straight line, with the endings merely being stops on the way.

I understand and I agree with you, but not entirely. The original Steins;Gate anime also followed only one ending path (in this case Kurisu) + true ending skipping all others, and yet it is still rated as one of the best anime ever. Steins;Gate 0 may not be as good as the original, but it is still a very solid title that is worth watching. That is why it's hard for me to understand why so many people says it is shit and rate it at 3 or 4/10. Even my friend said S;G 0 is weak, boring and overwhelming and it isn't worth watching it. Despite this, I watched and didn't regret it.

Btw. Glad that you enjoyed the 1st Nanoha movie. The second one is even better (I had shivers at the last fight when the song 'Bright Stream' was played).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neku-tan said:

I understand and I agree with you, but not entirely. The original Steins;Gate anime also followed only one ending path (in this case Kurisu) + true ending skipping all others, and yet it is still rated as one of the best anime ever. Steins;Gate 0 may not be as good as the original, but it is still a very solid title that is worth watching. That is why it's hard for me to understand why so many people says it is shit and rate it at 3 or 4/10. Even my friend said S;G 0 is weak, boring and overwhelming and it isn't worth watching it. Despite this, I watched and didn't regret it.

Btw. Glad that you enjoyed the 1st Nanoha movie. The second one is even better (I had shivers at the last fight when the song 'Bright Stream' was played).

I should clarify that I really liked the Steins;Gate 0 anime. Looking at what I wrote previously, I realized it might not have sounded that way. When it aired I only watched up to episode six. Not happy with some of the changes made, I put it on hold for a while. I eventually went back and finished it, and I was glad I did. The ending, while the same, is actually better in the anime. In the VN, the very last scene from the anime is merely implied, not shown.

Going by the numbers on MAL, it seems like a lot of people didn't even give it a chance. As of right now, 1,481,374 users have Steins;Gate on their list. Steins;Gate 0… only 479,347 users; a little over one million less. Even considering the fact that not every user who watched Steins;Gate in 2011 is still around on MAL, that number seems way too low.

I'll probably start the second movie today or tomorrow. Bright Stream is great, though I do like Brave Phoenix more. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ariadne said:

Even though I remembered how much I loved the first season and A's, my image of this series was unfortunately marred. The misstep that was StrikerS and the absolutely-terrible-fiery-explosion-trainwreck-with-likely-no-survivors Vivid were to blame. Thankfully, that damage can be reversed, and it was. 

Whenever an anime gets a sequel in the form of a movie, everything leading up to it has to be adapted into a movie (or multiple). That seems to be the case from what I've seen, at least. Whatever the reason, whether it's to have everything in one format, money, or a bit of both, it doesn't concern me if it turns out this well. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st is an excellent retelling of the first season. I'm sure they could've come up with a better title than "The Movie 1st", but that's only a minor issue.

First, I'd like to address the length. The original 13 episodes add up to about 4 hours and 20 minutes, assuming every episode is around 20 minutes long without the opening, ending, and preview. The movie is only 2 hours and 10 minutes. Despite being half the length, it never felt like much was missing; they did a fantastic job condensing the story. The pace seems kind of fast, but in a good way. The only negative I can think of is that it might be hard to follow for those unfamiliar with the original anime. There's also less time to become acquainted with the setting and characters. I can't say for sure because I was already familiar with the series long before watching the movie.

If there's one thing that has very clearly been improved, it's the animation. It's been over two years since I watched the first season, so there's always a chance I could be remembering something incorrectly. This, however, I'm certain about. While everything looks better, the fight scenes are what really stand out. Sure, the transformation scenes are great too, but there are very few of them.

Glad to see that the first movie is actually great. I haven't gotten there yet, but now I'm looking forward to it a lot more. I'm going to agree the title is a bit dull, "The Movie 1st" sounds way too simple, but I see it delivers on what matters. I'm already familiar with the characters and setting, so I shouldn't have much of a problem when I get to it. And those fight scenes and transformation sequences, that I want to see. The first two seasons of Nanoha definitely have some age on them. Not that they look bad or anything, but a much clearer picture with better-realized sequences must be a joy to watch. ^_^

The second movie must be glorious. Judging by the fact that the A's season was spectacular in itself, a movie out of it that improves on nearly every aspect has to be amazing. ;)

I don't remember Raising Heart having so many lines in the original, but that's not a problem. What it did make me consider was this: How is Nanoha able to understand her perfectly? If Nanoha at age nine can already understand English that well as a second language, that's amazing. Maybe the Japanese subtitles are actually appearing for Nanoha as well? Either way it doesn't really matter; I just found it funny to seriously analyze it. 

Admittedly, this never crossed my mind when watching the anime, but it is one serious thought to have when you sit down and think about it. I know Nanoha is super smart for her age and highly talented with magic and whatnot, but how she understands and talks back to Raising Heart accordingly is a mystery in itself. It's probably like you say, she may be seeing the Japanese subtitles in her mind or something, lol. xD

If you ever want to test it out, it's very easy to export a list from MAL and import it elsewhere.

Recently I was browsing anime that aired in 2016. Somehow I had only watched five from that year, which I found out after looking at a graph. It was then that I saw this: https://anilist.co/anime/21871/ViVid-Strike/

...I didn't know this existed, and I was probably better off that way. Yes, this is a spin-off of Vivid. Maybe if the spin-off of something good is terrible, the reverse will also be true? That makes no sense, but I sure hope so. There is one good sign, though: The studio is Seven Arcs (responsible for the first season, A's, and StrikerS). Vivid was done by A-1 Pictures, a name I've never seen mentioned positively.

That's unfortunate. I've had more time to watch anime only because I haven't felt like doing much else lately; I haven't touched my PS4 in weeks.

I will most likely give it a try if that's the case. The UI is much sleeker and cleaner than the one in MAL.

Well, who knows? Two minuses do make a plus sometimes, not sure if it works in the same way with anime, but I guess there's only one way to find out. It's either a pretty watchable series or another dumpster fire. :P

It probably has to do more with my mood. I've been using what little time I have available to play video games mostly, either PS4 or PS3, while not watching a single anime for weeks now. I guess I feel more inclined towards games lately than with anime. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 10/6/2020 at 11:33 PM, LegacyJKO09 said:

Last anime I watched was Code Geass: Resurrection 

i thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5/10

the other night I watched Promare.

I like it a lot. Some pacing issues and random things that I felt weren't fully explained enough. But i give it 7/10

BONUS QUESTION

What anime or game is this figure from? she looks dope. The blue winged horned one

Screenshot_20200531-000110_Chrome.jpg

Code Geass was awesome! :D

Anyways, I did some digging for you because I have seen that figure multple times before. Here you have it. The character is Dark Angel Olivia, from a property known as Shingeki no Bahamut / Rage of Bahamut. From the info there, it says she is from an arcade, action, trading card game.

I really don't know anything from where she is from, but her figure is pretty damn awesome.

Edited by Honor_Hand
Quotes fixed >.>
  • Like 1

The Fruit of Grisaia - 9/10

the-fruit-of-grisaia-5561.jpg?t=14206041

Our story starts out with Yuuji Kazami, a mysterious high school transfer student who shows little emotion and is hinted at being involved in some pretty shady business. Whatever the case, Yuuji is obviously not an ordinary high school student. The irony of this is that Yuuji's one wish is to have an ordinary high school life. After transferring to Mihama Academy, he finds out that not only is he the only male enrolled but he only has five other classmates. As much as the principal claims that Mihama Academy is an ordinary school, it's clear to see that each of the girls at this academy have a special reason for being enrolled here.

As soon as I started this series, I immediately realized that it was based on a visual novel. This had me a little worried since anime based off of visual novels can usually be hit or miss. Luckily, this one was a hit. Each of the girls have diverse but interesting personalities, and the series does a good job diving into each girl's backstory, one-by-one. What really made the show great though was the protagonist. Yuuji's emotionless expressions make him come off as cold at first, but his actions make it clear that he has a kind heart and cares about each of his new classmates. I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers, but I'm definitely going to watch season two. Also, the opening is pretty good but not quite a bop.

• Like 3