The last anime you saw?

Aexuz

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor (episodes 1-26)

7-C926-A04-AA0-B-4-EC1-BBC8-D339-E9184-B
What I find so great about anime is that it’s a genre with limitless sub-genres, so you never really know what you may be in store for. Normally I stick to anime with martial arts or cute girls doing cute things. Hardly do I ever go for the thriller genre. So I decided to break my tradition and venture into something different. This suspense story follows the journey of Kaiji, a guy down on his luck and up to his neck in debt. In order to change his fate, he enters a gambling competition where he must win big and try not to lose it all in the process. To say anything else would bring this underrated gem a great disservice. It must be seen to be believed. Everything from its genius writing, unique character design, portrayal of emotion and intense cliffhangers.. Kaiji distinguishes itself far above anything else like it. The reason for that comes from its highly relatable protagonist, which makes it easy to put yourself in his shoes. You will experience anxiety, sorrow, anger, relief and triumph just like he does. It is a non-stop roller coaster from start to finish and I highly recommend it ✌?

Watched with @Sigma999 ?

Edited by ShonenCat
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor (episodes 1-26)

7-C926-A04-AA0-B-4-EC1-BBC8-D339-E9184-B
What I find so great about anime is that it’s a genre with limitless sub-genres, so you never really know what you may be in store for. Normally I stick to anime with martial arts or cute girls doing cute things. Hardly do I ever go for the thriller genre. So I decided to break my tradition and venture into something different. This suspense story follows the journey of Kaiji, a guy down on his luck and up to his neck in debt. In order to change his fate, he enters a gambling competition where he must win big and try not to lose it all in the process. To say anything else would bring this underrated gem a great disservice. It must be seen to be believed. Everything from its genius writing, unique character design, portrayal of emotion and intense cliffhangers.. Kaiji distinguishes itself far above anything else like it. The reason for that comes from its highly relatable protagonist, which makes it easy to put yourself in his shoes. You will experience anxiety, sorrow, anger, relief and triumph just like he does. It is a non-stop roller coaster from start to finish and I highly recommend it 270c-1f3fb.png

Watched with @Sigma999 1f601.png

A true masterpice imo , one of my favorite anime of all time. Glad you enjoyed that much in the end and felt so pleased to read your thoughts about Kaiji : The Ultimate Survivor <3

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 1

Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 3-17

60781.jpg

High Score Girl Episode 11-12 (Finished)

91345.jpg

Enjoyment level 10

The year is 1991, and arcade video games are the latest craze. Becoming a professional gamer is a far-fetched dream in an industry that has yet to spread its influence. Yet, that is the path sixth-grader Haruo Yaguchi wants to pursue. His aptitude for video games has earned him respect in local arcades and bestowed him with confidence and pride, both of which are shattered when fellow classmate Akira Oono easily defeats him in Street Fighter 2.

Akira is rich, pretty, and smart—as close as can be to a perfect girl. But Haruo had never cared about these things as, despite his multiple shortcomings as a person, his supremacy in video games was, in his mind, undisputed. So, now that someone has appeared who can rival him, part of Haruo cannot help but loathe her. Another part, however, itches for somebody who can compete with him on equal terms, and Akira is more than capable.

High Score Girl: Extra Stage Episode 1-3 (Finished)

98053.jpg

Enjoyment level 10

Four years after they first met, Haruo Yaguchi , Akira Oono, and Koharu Hidaka remain the best of friends. Tensions start to build up as Akira's teacher, Gouda Moemi, becomes stricter than ever before, and Hidaka develops feelings for Haruo. Though he may not be the most composed and thoughtful person around, he has within him the one thing that started it all: his unconditional love for video games.

Kiddy GiRL-AND Episode 1-3

74159.jpg

Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 19-20

106692.jpg

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi Episode 1

10918.jpg

Houkago Teibou Nisshi Episode 1-7

106362.jpg

Deca-Dence Episode 1-7

107552.jpg

Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Episode 1-7

108292.jpg

Monster Musume no Oishasan Episode 1-7

106598.jpg

• Like 3

Trigun.full.1221507.jpg

TRIGUN

OVERALL RATING: 9.5/10

20310.jpg

Trigun (TV, 1998)

Enjoyment: 10/10

With its excellent (and sometimes perfectly seamless) blend of comedy and drama featuring one of the most memorable and likable casts ever, an engaging story that implements and explores many dark twists and themes respectively, lots of thrilling western-style action, and an awesome OST to boot, Trigun has left me thoroughly invested, entertained, and excited.

WARNING: ACTUAL SPOILERS BELOW!

Spoiler

Wolfwood's death really got me. I may have shed a tear or two... RIP, you absolute legend. Your legacy and weaponized cross shall live on forever.

Trigun deservedly marks the sixth entry in the anime world to get a perfect score from me. A masterpiece of its time and genre(s) that I'd highly recommend to everyone. ^_^

Stop making me crave donuts, you damn stampede!

27969.jpg

Trigun: Badlands Rumble (Movie, 2010)

Enjoyment: 9/10

Excellent addition to the Trigun universe. I really enjoyed it. =D Not much else I can say as it delivered exactly what I had expected after watching the TV anime.

Thanks for such an incredible series, Madhouse! ^_^ I hope we'll see another work eventually.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cr1s said:

Trigun deservedly marks the sixth entry in the anime world to get a perfect score from me. A masterpiece of its time and genre(s) that I'd highly recommend to everyone.

This anime is genuine masterpiece and one of my top ones. 

I haven't watch anime in long years because, well, trophy hunting took all my time. But now I am slowly getting back into it catching up all the shiny stuff. So lately I managed to watch:

three seasons and couple movies of Psycho-Pass - I like the general though behind this show, kinda reminds me of Minority Report. Just wish the VN game would be better.

all available seasons of Shingeki no Kyojin - pretty fun, I can see it's qualities but sometimes it feels like a bit too 'emo'.

Naruto - I was kind of a Bleach guy so I never got time to watch Naruto, managed to watch the initial season last week (skipped most of filler episodes except two or so). It was pretty solid and amusing and I even got the ultimate collection for PS4 so I am going through with it as well

currently watching: Naruto Shippuden

want to watch: Boku No Hero Academia

• Like 1

The End of Evangelion

MV5BZjJhMThkNTQtNjkxNy00MDdjLTg4MWQtMTI2MmQ3MDVmODUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwOTA3NzY3._V1_.jpg

The best word to describe The End of Evangelion is probably Iconic. Don't really want to call it the proper ending to Eva, because I was fine with the way the series ended. But this is definitely what I wanted to see as the finale. EOE gave me answers to questions that I had, but at the same time It didn't try to explain everything it showed. I want to say I understood everything, but I'm not sure. And of course, there are scenes the meaning of which is left for your interpretation. I know that Hideaki Anno opened his soul and expressed his feelings in his work. NGE and EOE are very personal in that sense. 

But on the surface it's pretty good too. It's beatifully drawn. The action scenes are good. It's super dark, full of shocking imagery. Speaking of imagery, I forgot to add one thing in my NGE post. There is plenty of religious stuff, like references to christianity. I usually don't like religious themes. And altough It didn't bother me too much, I'd still prefer if the supernatural aspect of the show didn't rely on religion at all and was it's own thing instead. That applies to the film as well. There were also some weird plot choices in my opinion, but they are not even worth mentioning. Overall, I'm satisfied. Glad that I finally watched it.

After EOE I started watching Code Geass. I'm on episode 17 now, enjoying it so far.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Alderriz said:

The End of Evangelion

MV5BZjJhMThkNTQtNjkxNy00MDdjLTg4MWQtMTI2MmQ3MDVmODUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwOTA3NzY3._V1_.jpg

The best word to describe The End of Evangelion is probably Iconic. Don't really want to call it the proper ending to Eva, because I was fine with the way the series ended. But this is definitely what I wanted to see as the finale. EOE gave me answers to questions that I had, but at the same time It didn't try to explain everything it showed. I want to say I understood everything, but I'm not sure. And of course, there are scenes the meaning of which is left for your interpretation. I know that Hideaki Anno opened his soul and expressed his feelings in his work. NGE and EOE are very personal in that sense. 

But on the surface it's pretty good too. It's beatifully drawn. The action scenes are good. It's super dark, full of shocking imagery. Speaking of imagery, I forgot to add one thing in my NGE post. There is plenty of religious stuff, like references to christianity. I usually don't like religious themes. And altough It didn't bother me too much, I'd still prefer if the supernatural aspect of the show didn't rely on religion at all and was it's own thing instead. That applies to the film as well. There were also some weird plot choices in my opinion, but they are not even worth mentioning. Overall, I'm satisfied. Glad that I finally watched it.

After EOE I started watching Code Geass. I'm on episode 17 now, enjoying it so far.

Eva is my fave. Code Geass is #2 for me. haha.

Hoping the 4th rebuild gets released but yknow... people wanna live in fear.

everything else releases digital and then disc, so why make an exception... 

But yeah i think ima watch EoE right now!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, Nightstream88 said:

Digimon Adventure 2020
Konosuba
Still would have preferred a prequel to Digimon Adventure Season 1 with the original digidestined after seeing that intro in Digimon Adventure Tri Loss I believe.

(images removed to prevent post from being large)

That wasn't the original DigiDestined AFAIK... it was... (put in spoilers just in case)

Spoiler

Adventure 02 DigiDestined getting REKT by Tri's version of Alphamon

HGh6UCV.jpg?1Xc4IX6m.jpg?1

The Misfit of Demon King Academy and Plunder 
Both look like they might be pretty good, although Plunder kind of gotten pretty weird quick.

11 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

(images removed to prevent post from being large)

That wasn't the original DigiDestined AFAIK... it was... (put in spoilers just in case)

Hide contents

Adventure 02 DigiDestined getting REKT by Tri's version of Alphamon

I might be misreading this but kind of referring to this scene here

Plus I remember them being mention a couple of times in the Season 1 anime, not sure if I remember them being mentioned in the Season 2 anime or not 
And I do believe in that in the dub at least they mentioned they battled apocalymon as well.

^^^Oh. I'm not really sure there would be much to show since they appeared to have failed but I guess it could be interesting.

Anyway...

I was actually thinking of watching this on my own here soon and now I don't have to. It's going to take me MUCH longer to complete though. Oh well? I guess? lol

75639l.jpg

Assassination Classroom started airing on Toonami last night. GREAT start. AND THAT OPENING. ?

This is probably the best anime opening I've seen since Fire Force Season 1 Opening 2

*totally doesn't want to dance along with them*

*totally does*

• Like 1

Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21

106692.jpg

Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 18

60781.jpg

Houkago Teibou Nisshi Episode 8

106362.jpg

Gibiate Episode 1-7

107880.jpg

Lapis Re:LiGHTs Episode 1-9

107611.jpg

Deca-Dence Episode 8

107552.jpg

Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Episode 8

108292.jpg

Monster Musume no Oishasan Episode 8

106598.jpg

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T Episode 16

108389.jpg

• Like 1

71777.jpg

Tokyo Ghoul √A

actually it's the first time i feel i did a bad choice to watch an anime, the first season was not bad, but then episodes after episodes it becomes confusing, i remember there is even one episode where i even didn't read completely the subtitles, i was counting in my mind each time they spoke one name, i even stop after few minutes after 20 names because it was stupid boring and meaningless, and the more funny is I had no idea where those names came from, very disappointed about this anime, and now i feel less confident for the choice of my next anime to watch

here are some animes i already watched, sort by score, for me this website is a kind of psnprofile but for anime ^^ :

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sombroff?status=2&order=4&order2=0

I've just got done watching The Rising of the Shield Hero: Series 1 and The Helpful Fox Senko-san and absolutely loved them! These 2 shows are the best of any type I've seen in years :). I've Astra: Lost in Space on pre-order for tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to when Uzaki-chan Wants to hang out! and Rent-a-Girlfriend hit Bluray so I can binge watch them. I've also got my eye on My Roommate is a Cat.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

^^^Oh. I'm not really sure there would be much to show since they appeared to have failed but I guess it could be interesting.

Anyway...

I was actually thinking of watching this on my own here soon and now I don't have to. It's going to take me MUCH longer to complete though. Oh well? I guess? lol

75639l.jpg

Assassination Classroom started airing on Toonami last night. GREAT start. AND THAT OPENING. 1f60d.png

This is probably the best anime opening I've seen since Fire Force Season 1 Opening 2

*totally doesn't want to dance along with them*

*totally does*

For some reason I thought the ending songs were different with dancing as well... Thats how I remembered them...

Either way enjoy! Awesome show! Don't binge watch! Savor it! :)

Edited by Dav9834

On 8/18/2020 at 3:40 AM, SelectiveGamer said:

Well... with nothing else better to do/watch... I'm going to go back to watching 2 other animes. It's completely unknown how long I'll be able to do this though. Especially if I feel like I'm forced to start looking for another job again. Which, unfortunately, I do. But I probably won't be doing so until September and even then I have to find something that I feel like I can get myself to do. So this could potentially all get thrown out the window. Time will tell I guess. But this isn't the point now is it?

I've been putting it off for to long so I've decided to finally start watching this.

18179.jpg

Fairy Tail

I plan on watching an episode a day and 4 episodes over the span of weekends. So I may get through it relatively fast. We'll see I guess. There are 300+ episodes though... so... yeah... ?

I also began rewatching this...

50331l.jpg

Code Geass. Because all of the new(er) stuff is out now so I'd might as well rewatch the series and then watch the new(er) stuff afterwards. Akito OVA's and Resurrection movie. Resurrection movie only because that's the one they english dubbed.

It's fine because it's been a long ass time since I've watched it anyway. ?

really love code geass. its also one of the  few anime in which i think the english dub is awesome.

• Like 1

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Getting close to finishing Tower of God. I read S1 years ago, and I forgot how great the crown test was. xD I was expecting the animation to be subpar, but I've been really impressed with the fight scenes and detail in general. Really took me by surprise.

They left out some funny/interesting details from the webtoon about how shinsu works and some minor details from the Endorsi/Anak fight, but overall it's a great adaptation. I hope they decide to continue it.

• Like 1

A48-382437428.1449109664.jpg

Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water. After months of searching for a complete set, I finally found it (DVD).

Premise: In a story loosely based off of 10000 Leagues under the Sea, young inventor boy happens upon a mysterious girl being chased for her equally mysterious pendant. He saves her, and adventure ensues. This series has alot of good buzz surrounding it, and there is definitely something there that makes it important to animation as a whole, but like with ALOT OF anime, I'm not sold on calling it a masterpiece, even excluding it's widely known flaws. One half of this is indeed me projecting what I WISHED the series would have been instead of what it was, but the other half I also really believe are legit flaws.

I maintain that the main cast were the best part of the series to me. The cautious aloof loner Nadia, the naive yet cheerful inventor Jean, the friendly innocent child Marie, the comedic trio of Grandis, Sanson and Hanson, the mysterious captain Nemo, the animal mascot King (actually, I didn't like the stupid lion. Throw 'im to the sharks). I loved the way they played off each other, and i liked even more the episodes that focused on THEM. 

The problem comes in for me, and what ultimately dragged my enjoyment down, are the episodes aboard the submarine Nautilus. And those of you who watched this are saying to yourself "WTF are you on? Those are the strongest episodes, ones where the writers and director and animators obviously put their passion into," And I definitely won't argue that.

But we come to the point where felt like the writers took their OCs and plopped them into a retelling of a Jules verne story, and I've never been a fan of that kind of storytelling. "But Red, you list Nemo as a character you do like, so what's the problem?" Well, because he is there to support main cast, and has a direct impact on their story, and they in turn impact his development. It's GREAT seeing him break out of shell and open up to these characters, on of which he has DIRECT ties to. The small problem is is that it takes him a while to actually do so, so we have to rely on side-characters to do the heavy lifting.

Actually, it's just ONE side character I ave a problem with, and that's the Captain's right-hand woman, Electra. This chick got WAY too much screentime. She appears and absorbs all the interaction, all the development, all the teaching moments, all the comedy that SHOULD HAVE been between the main characters. She even gets a whole episode dedicated to her, just so we can see that, true to her name, she has a complex with the captain. It can't just be hero worship between two adults, no, gotta be daddy issues so she can cry and whine and be jealous over a teenager. To think, that whole episode could have focused on the shocking revelation between the Captain and the person he's tied to, instead of "waaaahhh, father figure won't love me like I want him to"

Again, I admit that this is all chalked up to my wants, and not what the show is, and when the main cast break away from the crew and be with each other, there are some really powerful moments. HOWEVER, these handful episodes do exhibit what I think is an actual problem; the series' almost insistence that Nadia never grow as a character. There were plenty instances where it seems like she'll learn a lesson, have a cry, say thank you, only to regress the very next episode. Her flaws crop up as a source of drama, but are never resolved, or even addressed outside the episode. No kidding, several otherwise light-hearted episodes in this arc will end with her dramatically calling someone a monster or murderer, leaving things on a very tense sour note, but then come next ep and she's acting the same as she was before, no more no less. Every time she she would apologize for acting a certain way, or challenge the captain and his decisions and apparent disregard for life, I would ask "Didn't we do this exact thing in a prior episode?" and I would be right.

Actually, there were episodes where she would have to reexamine her actions and try harder to grow as a character. Episodes where our characters would take center stage again, having to grow and rely and sometimes even argue with and endure each other without convenient 3rd party intervention. Episodes that in spite of their many many MANY flaws, I can't help but list as some of my favorites.

"Oh no, Red. You better not be talking about-"

YES. I am talking both the Island Arc AND the Africa Arc. AGAIN, criticisms are completely justified. The animation takes a HUGE nosedive, the events do get repetitive, a few fall victim to the reset button, and their placement in the series could not be a worse position even if the studio was actively trying to sabotage themselves. And yet, these collection of eps contains so much of what I wanted to see in this series. I WANTED to see characters' trying to make it in the wilderness, exploring strange lands and meeting new people. I wanted to see them having to try and survive with each other and learn more about each other. I didn't ask for one of them to trip out on mushrooms and then get smacked upside the head, but I loved it when it happened. The Island Arc is pretty much the "Be Careful What You Wish For" trope for Nadia, who gets her wish of being away from untrustworthy humans and be one with nature, only to realize it isn't what she wants anymore. And as episode 30 + 31 show, you could easily work in more dramatic plot-related moments as well. Also, I want to add that this arc's episodes are the ONLY ONES that convinced me of a relationship between Nadia and Jean. While there is plenty of kinda maybe UST between them in the series before, these episodes actually try to go further, and ask them to really question and explore their feelings for each other. 

Now the Africa Arc is definitely the most mishandled part of the entire series, but even then I enjoyed alot of it for it's nonsensical story. I also liked the idea of Jean and Nadia actually making it to Africa, and the love "triangle" that almost but not really happens, where she actually becomes comfortable enough around other boys to stop being so crabby and wishy-washy and something resembling a normal teen.

cdf293d727c035eb357016e2dfdbca5a57285b88 Friggin' adorable.

Lastly, I'll get in a quick word about the villains and the finale. For the most part, they play the role well, their presence effective enough that when they show up, you know something serious is about to go down. The last few episodes, as silly as they get in concept, do end the series on a satisfying note. However, this is where they reveal their true intentions, and UNFORTUNATELY, it's yet another instance of "we may be mass-murdering otherworldly psychos, but at least we aren't flawed imperfect HUMANS." It also it suffers the same problems I had with the aforementioned Nautilus episodes. I'm not joking when I say that Jean, who should be a major player in these events, really just floats around from scene to scene, piping in every so often to remind you that he's there while everyone else steals his screen-time and actually get things accomplished.

*sigh* I've been at this for about 3 hours, but I think I got out everything I wanted to say about this series. It's one half not-for-me, and one half I loved for all the wrong reasons. And before I end it, I loved the hell outta Jean's song.

Edited by RedRodriguez87
  • Like 3

Vinland Saga

Finished Vinland Saga (2019) (24 episodes) 

What a great anime this was , it truly grabbed my attention right away at the 1st minute of the 1st episode and never let me go until i finished and it suprise me alot of how audacious and mature it deliver it's narrative , without being afraid of going the extra mile and be controversial and unpolitical correct in order to show how the times that Vikings raided and the Kingdoms they had contact reacted to their presence and threat. It has, in my humble opinion, one of the best developed and constructed chars i have ever seen although you might not like him , at first i didn't tbh but his influence , charisma, how centered the story evolve around him and his actions and mind move the plot forward effectively like no other char can remotely do, made him grow on me and realizes of how great is character was, in the end.

Truly recommended for anime fans and even not fans of this media cause i feel this as global appeal like Game of Thrones has, an injustice it doesn't seem to get much praise like other recent anime , it truly deserves to be in a higher pedestal like Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan and such. 

Hoping to see the route that season 2 will take in 2021, i'm eager to see more development from this series.

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 4