Pokemon Go - general thoughts

Tepp-a

i haven't found anything similar so I wanted to make a topic and find out your thoughts about Pokemon Go.

Now that the official hype is gone, I was wondering if some people here are still playing or started playing later

Some guiding questions, but of course everyone is welcome to voice their opinion.

Are you still playing Pokemon Go?

How intense would you rate your poke-hunting? Streak-keeping or occasional ball-thrower?

Do you spend money on it?

What are your thoughts on "new" gym structure, raids, weather boosts, field research and events?

What are your thoughts about the Pokemon Go community?

Personally, I started with the hype. I was temporarily in London back then and it was awesome - everyone was playing, approaching other players and despite bugs and loging-in-problems the general atmosphere was very enjoyable. But when I moved back to Germany I was super dissapointed. The same three pokemon kept spawning in the whole city (and the city was big) and there was nothing to do - gyms were unbeatable if you were a lower level and playing solo, but at the same time it was nearly impossible to find a community.

So i stopped for quite some time. I started again with new pokemon generations, but always playing very little. New generations didn't change the other problems - now I just had three different pokemon spawn again and again.

It wasn't really until the new gym system came, and then ultimatively until I moved. Now I was frequently in Denmark and Sweden where a variety of pokemon spawned. With raids, I joined local raid groups and found a community; with weather changes you get a chance to catch more stuff. I started playing again a lot during my last semester break, where it helped me tremendously to escape a mental black hole simply because it motivated me to go outside every day. I also spent a ton of money on it LOL

Now I feel like that phase is over for me. Sure, I still play a lot but except for 2 normal pokemon, regionals and unreleased I have nothing left to catch or hatch. I refuse to spend money on it for now, because incubators become worthless if the same stuff keeps hatching. I barely raid except when there is a double XP event or a new legendary. The daily field research is uninteresting after you get the first monthly reward... they jump from one event to another, but none of them bring anything new.

For now I'm just waiting for Latios to spawn in Europe and a new big field research. Also think they should raise the level cap asap at least a little

Edited by Tepp-a

I still play Pokemon Go, I suffer from pretty severe anxiety so it helps me to stay relaxed while i'm outside. I really enjoy the game honestly, it does have it's flaws but its still great fun to play and try to collect every Pokemon. Although that's just me, I live in a city so resources/ different varieties of pokemon are more accessible to me and i'm a completionist so I always find enjoyment in collecting everything in a game. I honestly wish I had a friend to play it with, nobody I know really plays it anymore and communities of people that do are pretty hard to find.

My least favourite thing about the game are the gyms. They're way too easy to take and pretty hard to keep long enough to get a decent amount of coins. I felt the same suffered from a lot of problems after the initial hype died due to poor communication and a lack of updates but recently I feel like they're moving in the right direction by adding the field research and having regular events and community days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tepp-a said:

Are you still playing Pokemon Go?

How intense would you rate your poke-hunting? Streak-keeping or occasional ball-thrower?

Do you spend money on it?

What are your thoughts on "new" gym structure, raids, weather boosts, field research and events?

What are your thoughts about the Pokemon Go community?

1. intermittently

2. definitely occasional ball thrower

3. no. i did a couple times when it was big, but not anymore.

4. i really like most of these new additions, they give you more to do and make some stuff easier to do. the only one i dont rrally like is raids, but thats just cuz i have no friends to do them with.

5. im not sure, all the players ive ever met irl were really chill, but ive never really delved into the online portion of the community.

i quit playing religiously a while back, but i open the app up occasionally. if a new gen has been released, or if im on vacation in a new place, or if im just bored.

Edited by danceswithsloths

Boring grindfest like every other free mobile game.

I played it for a few months, although after the first month I only played on my way back from work. I got to about 120 pokemon when it only had Gen 1.

I got tired of having to manage space by manually releasing pokemon so one day I just said "fuck it" and never logged back in again. Now I look at the sky and think about stuff on my way back, a much better use of those 15 minutes.

Still, I think I should have quit waaaay earlier. 

1 hour ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I still play Pokemon Go, I suffer from pretty severe anxiety so it helps me to stay relaxed while i'm outside.

Huh... never thought of it in that way. It's nice to see it can help people in some way.

Edited by AndresLionheart
  • Like 1

I remember being interested in this game when it was coming out even though I wasn't sure of how I was going to play it out. Even though I really like the Pokemon games, I'm not much of a Smartphone player. Don't have a single game on my phone right now, mind you. Anyways, I was caught by the hype wave as well and only played the game for the first couple of weeks when it came out until I grew completely bored of it.

What I disliked most about the game is how it is supposed to be played. Really, the premise sounds cool and I guess I can understand the appeal of it if you live in a normal country, but where I live, playing this game is completely out of consideration. Let's just say that my country is overrun by Team Rocket Grunts and that having any piece of technology in the open is kind of like a death sentence over here. Even so, I did gave the game a chance and snuck my phone with me whenever I had a chance to test it out. What I found was totally disappointing, the same 3-4 Pokemon everywhere, a boring battle mechanic without any kind of deep and well, that the game was too social for me... and I hate social games, they are not my cup of tea.

That was my experience with it...

I imagine the game has improved a lot since I last played it and if you love it, then that's fine, glad you like the game. But due to some of the reasons I mentioned above, this game is pretty much unplayable for me, mostly due to my geographical location and how simple it is.

Stopped playing a couple months before raids came out. Then once they released the legendary birds I went hard for a few months till about last month. Now I turn on the game only when I'm driving (I know, I know what you're gonna say).

I still raid maybe about 3 times a week or so, but that is basically nothing compared to the 10 to 15 raids I did a day when the birds were out.

Thing is, I love generation 1, those are the only Pokemon I know. So once all the other gens started coming out, I slowly lost interest. I only know a few of the other gen Pokemon.

But I'm about to be level 37 and I'm team valor.

On 4.5.2018 at 5:27 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

I suffer from pretty severe anxiety so it helps me to stay relaxed while i'm outside.

THIS. I'm fine when I'm outside but it's very hard for me to get out of the house. Pokemon gives me a reason to without pushing any expectations on me.

On 4.5.2018 at 5:27 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

I honestly wish I had a friend to play it with, nobody I know really plays it anymore and communities of people that do are pretty hard to find.

have you tried Social Medias? I found my communities through facebook and by chance while raiding - there is a whatsapp group in my hometown, I knew it existed but having moved here i had no point of contact to get into the group. stumbled upon the admin while doing an absol raid. but whatsapp is such a weird medium for a community like this.

15 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

I can understand the appeal of it if you live in a normal country, but where I live, playing this game is completely out of consideration. Let's just say that my country is overrun by Team Rocket Grunts and that having any piece of technology in the open is kind of like a death sentence over here.

wow, that's something I never considered. thank you for the cultural enlightenment

14 hours ago, NutellaOrgies said:

I still raid maybe about 3 times a week or so, but that is basically nothing compared to the 10 to 15 raids I did a day when the birds were out.

I think this happened to a lot of people. Legendary's become boring of you have a couple strong ones of each kind. Leveling up becomes dull, too, because you hardly see any benefits from it.

Started playing 4, or 5 months ago. Currently level 23, and team Mystic. The town I reside in is pretty equal team-wise. Never done a raid battle yet, and only taken weak gyms by myself. Forever alone. Highest CP pokemon is Machamp 2000 CP, followed by another Machamp 1900 CP.

I played when it first came out and still playing now.  It's getting more and more boring since the same Pokemon keep spawning but I keep at it out of habit.  I like the gym change as it meant I was able to earn coins without battling gyms (I usually piggyback off another player's hard work and put my Pokemon in the free slots, they usually aren't attacked for a day).  I never raided so it is nice that you can start getting Legendaries via research rewards now.  The grind is so bad after Level 30 and like someone mentioned earlier, earning levels doesn't have many benefits.  Only spent $1 early on to expand my bag and that was using Google survey credits :)

I played a lot when it first came out and really got into it, then that kinda died down around the time of gen 2. It came out at a good time for me since I was at uni then and I was able to walk around a lot more between classes. It’s still on my phone but I only really open it up if I’m walking long distances which isn’t that often. I think I’ll probably call it a day once I’ve finally caugh a snorlax (still haven’t even seen one, and every 10km egg I get is a freakin’ Jynx).

I couldn’t get into the gym battles though, just seemed like too much effort for barely any reward.

Also I guess this is kinda dorky but I always keep any Pokemon I find when I’m abroad. My favourite/best one is a Gyrados I caught as a Magikarp in Florida. It took forever to evolve because I don’t see many Magikarp where I live.

1 minute ago, Charizarzar said:

Also I guess this is kinda dorky but I always keep any Pokemon I find when I’m abroad. My favourite/best one is a Gyrados I caught as a Magikarp in Florida. It took forever to evolve because I don’t see many Magikarp where I live.

My girlfriend does this too! She keeps them if they're from special places as souvenirs haha no matter how weak they might be. If you have the storage, I think it's a cute idea

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tepp-a said:

have you tried Social Medias? I found my communities through facebook and by chance while raiding - there is a whatsapp group in my hometown, I knew it existed but having moved here i had no point of contact to get into the group. stumbled upon the admin while doing an absol raid. but whatsapp is such a weird medium for a community like this.

The Long island and the NYC pogo community uses discord. There are a few thousand in each discord too

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started playing the game 4 days ago. I used to have an account during launch but I lost it.

In the 4 days I've played I walked over 65km now, which does wonders to my condition since I was so out of shape due to medical reasons. 
I'm nearly level 24 now and I expect to be lvl 30 at the end of next month or so if I keep this up. I'm averaging about 120k exp a day or so, and that's without the evolving / egg trick.

If anyone wants to be friends, I posted my friend code in the other thread. 

Are you still playing Pokemon Go? Restarted this summer after not playing it for about 2 years. I was frustrated with the general instability of the app early on

How intense would you rate your poke-hunting? Streak-keeping or occasional ball-thrower? I've been playing daily, but only a handful of minutes here and there.

Do you spend money on it? Kind of. Google has a survey app and it gives you money you can spend on anything in the play store. I've used $5.00 worth of this.

What are your thoughts on "new" gym structure, raids, weather boosts, field research and events? Weather boost is meh. The rest are nice updates.

What are your thoughts about the Pokemon Go community? All the people I work with that are way into it creep me out. 

Edited by BigHonkingOne