Sony reveals its E3 2018 conference plans

Sony has revealed their annual E3 briefing will be June 11 at 6 PM PDT. There will be a focus on indies and some third party details. However, the main focus of the briefing will be on four exclusives: Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us Part II. Whether there will be any new PS4 exclusive announcements remains to be seen. It's also confirmed no new hardware will be shown, so people who were expecting PS5 at this year's show are going to be disappointed.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-e3-2018-press-conference-wont-have-new-hardwar/1100-6458884/

Edited by Spyro
  • Like 3

Good, I didn't want to see them rush out a PS5 because I still need to get through my backlog  it still seems early to me. I'm sure there will be a few surprises, but I hope it's not just 100% indie games because most of them lack the "wow factor." I'm hoping for some more VR games or PS exclusives that are adding in VR content into them (cough, cough, Spiderman VR sounds amazing in my head but not my stomach). I really hope they treat the VR better than they treated the Vita. I'm sure we will hear nothing about the Vita at E3.

• Like 2

And yet, I couldn’t get anyone to take my wager on the PS5 release date.

Please see comments from the last 10 E3 conferences for what to expect the comments to be like this year. If anyone is planning to post anything about E3, please check those and at least post something original. 

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

It's also confirmed no new hardware will be shown, so people who were expecting PS5 at this year's show are going to be disappointed.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-e3-2018-press-conference-wont-have-new-hardwar/1100-6458884/

Hopefully this means the PlayStation 5 will be released around 2020. 

It’s a bit too early to announce the console considering how everyone is so into the midreleases this generation.

• Like 1

A price cut on the PS4 would be nice... >_>

Good that there are no announcements to anything related PS5. No rush on that. They can take all the time they want to announce anything as far as I'm concerned xD

• Like 2

Mmm and what about days gone? They should Focus on that as well don’t you think? 

7 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

A price cut on the PS4 would be nice... >_>

And on the PS4 Pro ?

Edited by jmmd_01

23 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Hopefully this means the PlayStation 5 will be released around 2020. 

It’s a bit too early to announce the console considering how everyone is so into the midreleases this generation.

That is a good thing. I am in no rush for a PS5.

Last time they had a separate show to announce the PS4 than more info was at the following E3. I expect they will do the same when they are ready to announce a PS5.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Sony has revealed their annual E3 briefing will be June 11 at 6 PM PDT. There will be a focus on indies and some third party details. However, the main focus of the briefing will be on four exclusives: Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us Part II. Whether there will be any new PS4 exclusive announcements remains to be seen. It's also confirmed no new hardware will be shown, so people who were expecting PS5 at this year's show are going to be disappointed.

I was becoming worried about Sony's conference as there was no word at all on my news feed. I get a terrible feeling that GOT is gonna play like Nioh. Death Stranding seems very eccentric although not really a bad thing i guess( I've got my eye on it ). I never paid any attention to spider-man. The last spider-man game i played was a way back on the PS2 and as far as TLOU goes i never played part 1 on the PS3, i got side tracked with so many games i never got around to it. It's still on my pipeline ever since the PS4 came out..... Still need to put it in my top 3 choices right away. 

I've said it before, but I don't think we'll be seeing anymore AAA first party exclusive announcements for the PS4. We're too far into this generation now and no doubt they want their studios to focus on making PS5 games. So yeah, kind of a shame that there probably won't be any big surprises, but oh well. I'm kinda tired of seeing The Last of Us Part II and Spider-Man stuff, but I'm looking forward to seeing gameplay for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding. It better be gameplay for Death Stranding anyway. Would be pretty ridiculous to get yet another CG trailer...

As for hardware announcements, was anyone actually expecting them to reveal the PS5? When the time comes for that, it will be at its own event like the PS4 reveal was, and it's quite clearly too early to do that when they still have a bunch of PS4 exclusives in the works.

I'm not expecting much from this conference tbh. 

I don't know why People Expect the Ps5 this year, usually Playstation Console Last 7 years so with the 4 that came out in 2013 i think we can expect the Ps5 to came out in 2 years from now in 2020, Maybe announced at E3 2019 already yeah, but not this year!

Anyway i'm really curious to see more Spiderman and even more about Ghost of Tsushima, the game looked great from the first trailers and it's Sucker Punch so i'm expecting something great :3 

Edited by Sora9427
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

When the time comes for that, it will be at its own event like the PS4 reveal was

Didn't they announce the PS4 at the E3 back then? Can't really remember

As for the PS5, I admit that I kinda had some slime hopes, or maybe just a fantasy. Not that I want a new PlayStation anytime soon but still. What I do still hope for is some kind of information about the backwards compatibility or at least if they consider it this time. There were some rumors regarding it lately. And speaking of rumors, I think those hopes about the PS5 were all stirred up from those hardware tidbits here and there about the progress AMD made with their 7nm tech and the Vega specifically.

6 minutes ago, Durandal said:

Didn't they announce the PS4 at the E3 back then? Can't really remember

As for the PS5, I admit that I kinda had some slime hopes, or maybe just a fantasy. Not that I want a new PlayStation anytime soon but still. What I do still hope for is some kind of information about the backwards compatibility or at least if they consider it this time. There were some rumors regarding it lately. And speaking of rumors, I think those hopes about the PS5 were all stirred up from those hardware tidbits here and there about the progress AMD made with their 7nm tech and the Vega specifically.

It was announced at their own event, but the E3 afterwards is when they showed off what the console looked like.

I think backwards compatibility with PS4 games is pretty much a given considering what Microsoft are doing with the Xbox One. Sony got away with it this generation considering how neither console had it on launch, and they had the excuse of the PS3 being too difficult to emulate on PS4 hardware. That's not going to fly in the next generation, though, and they would be silly not to. Backwards compatibility is a huge boon, especially near the launch of a console when there are very few games out for it. If the next Xbox has it but the PS5 doesn't, it'll look really bad in comparison. We've seen how quickly the tides can turn if a console manufacturer gets complacent and underestimates their competition just because it did well in the previous generation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I've said it before, but I don't think we'll be seeing anymore AAA first party exclusive announcements for the PS4. We're too far into this generation now and no doubt they want their studios to focus on making PS5 games. So yeah, kind of a shame that there probably won't be any big surprises, but oh well. I'm kinda tired of seeing The Last of Us Part II and Spider-Man stuff, but I'm looking forward to seeing gameplay for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding. It better be gameplay for Death Stranding anyway. Would be pretty ridiculous to get yet another CG trailer...

As for hardware announcements, was anyone actually expecting them to reveal the PS5? When the time comes for that, it will be at its own event like the PS4 reveal was, and it's quite clearly too early to do that when they still have a bunch of PS4 exclusives in the works.

I'm not expecting much from this conference tbh. 

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

It was announced at their own event, but the E3 afterwards is when they showed off what the console looked like.

I think backwards compatibility with PS4 games is pretty much a given considering what Microsoft are doing with the Xbox One. Sony got away with it this generation considering how neither console had it on launch, and they had the excuse of the PS3 being too difficult to emulate on PS4 hardware. That's not going to fly in the next generation, though, and they would be silly not to. Backwards compatibility is a huge boon, especially near the launch of a console when there are very few games out for it. If the next Xbox has it but the PS5 doesn't, it'll look really bad in comparison. We've seen how quickly the tides can turn if a console manufacturer gets complacent and underestimates their competition just because it did well in the previous generation.

We know what happened to the Xbox One debacle in 2013. Microsoft has been lagging behind this entire generation, which I feel is a bad thing because the 360 and PS3 were duking it out at one point in the previous generation. Granted, it took quite a while for the Playstation 3 to gather up steam considering it's very slow start and the fact they wanted to charge around $600 for the damn thing when it was first launched. But the exclusives that came a few years later, most notably Uncharted 2 and God of War III, definitely made up for the Playstation 3's shortcomings. It proved to be the most powerful console on the market. It was just difficult and hard to code for, which is likely why you can't just play PS3 games on your PS4 console physically.

Even if Sony decides to get smart, grow a brain and announce that the Playstation 5, whenever that will be will have backwards compatibility, I don't see myself all too excited. The Playstation 5 in my eyes is going to be a continuation of what we've seen with the PS4 Pro. Have these multi million dollar budget games run on 4K resolution, with possibly 60 frames per second to boot. That will be the biggest selling point of that generation, and even then PC gamer fanboys can still brag that their custom desktop can crank out better specs than the Playstation 5.

I don't see myself going after AAA games all too much and I will admittedly state that I in a way have grown distant from them. I feel that is the main benefit of the PS4 Pro, to make your AAA games look even better with higher resolution and higher frames per second to attract all the kids out there who are into graphics and performance. The Pro does sport improvements on games that don't necessarily get the real benefits by having faster loading times. But quite frankly most indie games I buy load and play quick enough on my vanilla PS4. I don't see a need to go out and buy a Pro unless I'm mostly playing AAA games, because that's where I'm going to see the most benefits. The Slim in many ways does just as much as the Pro, only without a Boost option.

I waited until the summer of 2015 to go out and buy a Playstation 4 and I will probably do the exact same thing with the Playstation 5. I honestly don't see myself getting too excited with AAA games anymore. I will mostly be buying the Playstation 5 for the backwards compatibility, if it does have it.

I will be in my 30s by the time the Playstation 5 rolls around, and at this point it's just not worth it to get any antsy and judgemental about specs and whatnot. There's more to life than just gaming, as much as that has been a part of my life, I feel that has died down quite a lot.