E3 2018: Microsoft acquires Ninja Theory & 4 other studios

Ghost

Big news coming from Microsoft as they have acquired Ninja Theory (The Cambridge-based studio is best known for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, DmC: Devil May Cry, Enslaved: Journey to the West, and Heavenly Sword), and also Undead Labs, Playground Games, and Compulsion Games

This acquisition comes with the announcement of a new Microsoft game studio known as The Initiative in Santa Manica, according to The Guardian.

Heavy.com

Edited by Ghost

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

No one freaks out when EA acquires third party studios and slowly kills them, but a direct competitor buys them and all the fanboys freak out, the double standard is so hypocritical.

Literally everyone freaks out when EA does that, what are you talking about? 

• Like 4

I mean props to Microsoft for recognising that their current first party studios are severely lacking in comparison to the competition and making steps towards improving them. We'll have to see how that studio they're building from the ground up turns out - it could be a massive boon for them in the long run. Ninja Theory is a big gain, but people have to remember, Rare was a huge get for them back in the day and look how that turned out. Hopefully they are treated much better because they are a really good studio. I don't really expect much out of Undead Labs, Playground Games, and Compulsion Games.

I'm surprised about Ninja Theory since I thought that the whole Hellblade being independent was to show how they can succeed on their own and not too long after here they are joining with Microsoft. Just hope they don't become like Rare.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this really bites.  I'd rather have had Ninja Theory stay independent.  Future NT games will end up Xbox only, or with PC versions if we're lucky.  Given that they're now a Microsoft studio, hopefully the PC versions won't end up locked to the Windows Store (Yuck, Steam would be better!).