E3 2018: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Cinematic Trailer

ziggypossum

23 minutes ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

I thought the game was a prequel, how is Jade back in it? And why does she seem like the bad guy? So many questions!  Absolutely buzzing for this.

I believe (read this on a blog somewhere) that the prequel is referencing Jade's "dark past" that was mentioned in the first game? Idk, just what I've read as I haven't played the first yet :)

• Like 1

Just now, ahoyimzoe said:

I believe (read this on a blog somewhere) that the prequel is referencing Jade's "dark past" that was mentioned in the first game? Idk, just what I've read as I haven't played the first yet :)

I was thinking about it for a few minutes and I came to that conclusion too because in the first game, she was basically in hiding because the Domz (alien thing) wanted her back because she escaped from him she's powerful. So im assuming she's brainwashed or something and the baddie in this one and her character will be finished when Payj takes ipher into hiding leading up to the first ??

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been playing BG&E HD and thinking about the sequel. After (re)watching all cinematic trailers and gameplay demos I'm not too optimistic about it. Not because it looks bad or anything - it looks cool. But because it's too ambitious for a sequel to a game that wasn't commercially successful in the first place. I haven't found the sales numbers after 5 minutes of searching, but all I see is people saying that it basically flopped. It has become a cult classic since 2003, but the IP is still not that strong. Even on this site the remaster has under 50K owners (if it can be used as a reference, anyway). 

What I mean by "too ambitious" is that this game

1. is an open world game with multiple planets to explore
  2. has a unique engine that allows you to seemlessly traverse locations on said planets, fly around at high speeds and travel among them in space without loading
  3. has not only a realistic day-night cycle but a realistic star system simulation as well
  4. has online functionality, allows for your friends to jump into your game in any moment
  5. has tons of customizable stuff for you character appearance (you can even be a monkey) and your starships
  6. will have tons of user-created content like artworks and music tracks.

The budget must be huge. I know Ubisoft owes a lot to Michel Ancel, and Yves Guillemot probably trusts him. Which is understandable, since the guy has already made them a fortune by creating Rayman and Rabbids. But I'm wondering what the business plan is for this game. How are they planning to make money on it? Will the game have a lot of microtransaction stuff? They will have to attract newcomers as well, and they are likely already doing that by showing cool trailers and gameplay videos focusing on new characters, but it's probably not enough.

On top of that, it looks like the game has also been going through development hell. The sequel was announced in 2008. Then it disappeared. Then it resurfaced after many years with new technology. I read somewhere that the studio spent 3 years on the engine alone. Don't know if it's true, but making that stuff work must have been tough. They have been showing new footage at conferences and streams pretty regularly. However, in the last year they haven't shown much except some concept art. Have they been transitioning the project to PS5? The nextgen consoles' SSD and other new tech would certainly help the game look and run better and easier. 

Many thing are still unclear. There's no list of platforms, no release date, no release window. Hope to see the game again this summer.

I want to live in a reality where BG&E2 comes out, does't suck and sells well.

• Like 2

To me it feels like they are all over the place with no clear vision.

I followed most of their space monkeys streams but I still have no clear idea what this game is going to be...

Is it single player with co-op mechanism?

Is it an MMO?

Is it story driven or more of space exploration with some story element spaced in between?

I feel like there is information on stuff you can do in the game but no information on the actual essence of it.

I'm also very skeptical here.

To me the appeal of the original BG&E is the setting and the story, space exploration was never the thing here but rather the story of Jade and the forces she is up against.

Until I can get a clear image of what my gaming experience will be it's hard for me to get excited about it...

Edited by jon88_il
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 17.07.2020 at 0:19 AM, ronin_leon said:

What's the latest with this game? Is it still being made or has it been cancelled?

I remember playing the first game and it was pretty good. 

They posted a development update on the official site on July 13:

Hello Space Monkeys!

Over the past three years, we’ve been striving to provide you with the latest news and insight into the development of Beyond Good and Evil 2. From getting your feedback and inspiration via blog articles, to livestreaming our Space Monkey Report dev updates, to getting a chance to meet some of our Space Monkeys in person at events, we have truly cherished these moments to be able to interact with BGE’s biggest fans!

As we announced last year, we are currently concentrating on core development and production milestones, so rest assured that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is well underway.

We know a lot of you are clamoring to see gameplay footage, to learn more details about the gameplay experience currently under development, and (of course) to get your hands on the game. We are committed to providing our Space Monkeys with these opportunities when the time is right, but we’re just not there yet and once we are, you’ll be the first to know. With this in mind, in-game footage, Space Monkey Report livestreams, and our presence at events – whether digital or in-person – will be extremely limited for the time being.

But fear not: Space Monkeys remain our top priority in everything we do, and we aren’t going anywhere! As previously announced, our HITRECORD partnership allowing the community to collaborate and contribute art and music to the game is still going strong, and we will also keep providing you with updates about the world of Beyond Good and Evil 2.

As a Space Monkey, we hope you’ll continue to enjoy sharing the development journey with us and, as always, we would love your feedback! Please join the conversation by sharing your comments in our forums or by using #BGE2.

Thanks!

-The BGE2 Team

TLDR: it's not cancelled, they're working on it, but they're not ready to show more yet.

Maybe they'll show something in the next Ubisoft Forward. If I remember correctly, they promised one more showcase this year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alderriz said:

TLDR: it's not cancelled, they're working on it, but they're not ready to show more yet.

Maybe they'll show something in the next Ubisoft Forward. If I remember correctly, they promised one more showcase this year.

Thanks for the update. We will see if they unveil anything before 2020 closes, if not no big deal. Also, could this be a Next-Gen title?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 0:36 PM, Alderriz said:

They posted a development update on the official site on July 13:

Sometime in September, but no specific day announced yet. 

Still won't believe it's coming until it's on store shelves. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3