Playstation Now Download Games Possible Leak!

Dav9834

VG24/7 Has a possible leak about downloading games from PSNow to at least some degree! 

I have PSNow and can say it's definitely worth the money. But this would be great! 

"A PlayStation Now user on Reddit noticed a new option in the service’s pause menu. The option simply says ‘Download Game’ with a description that reads, “Return to Game Detail and start downloading the game.”

At this time, choosing this option doesn’t do anything. The fact it’s there at all, however, could be an indication that Sony is finally going to allow subscribers to download PS Now games to their hard drives." - vg24/7

ps_now_download_option_leak_1.jpg

• Like 1

That makes zero sense. The point of PSNow is that you're streaming footage of a game, because it likely doesn't run on the hardware you're actually using. Like PS3 games on PS4. This is definitely fake, unless the PS4 is suddenly going to be backwards compatible.

I've been saying they should do this ever since PS4 games got added to the PS Now library. And for the people confused about how this would work, I have to imagine you would only get this option for PS4 games when on the PS4 console itself. Think of it like a rental service similar to Xbox Games Pass.

this is good for people with slow connections but sony is missing a trick here by not adding ps1/2 games to the catalog, it'd maybe give me the incentive to start using it, until then i still have my ps3.

Edited by Leenewbe
  • Like 1

I just hope this lets me play the downloaded games offline similar to how xbox game pass lets you play offline up to 30 days(barring online multiplayer and other type of online modes) because my internet is too slow for full streaming.

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

That makes zero sense. The point of PSNow is that you're streaming footage of a game, because it likely doesn't run on the hardware you're actually using. Like PS3 games on PS4. This is definitely fake, unless the PS4 is suddenly going to be backwards compatible.

I have to agree with this.  Not saying outright that it's fake, but I'd need a lot more info from Sony on what exactly is being downloaded.  As said, PS Now only streams the video output and sends controllers inputs through the interwebz, the games themselves are being emulated in server farms in various undisclosed (:ninja:) locations around the world.  There's no reason to believe that downloading any content will increase speeds or make the games more playable, and if there is, then Sony has some new tech it just patented, cause I've never heard of anything like that before.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

I have to agree with this.  Not saying outright that it's fake, but I'd need a lot more info from Sony on what exactly is being downloaded.  As said, PS Now only streams the video output and sends controllers inputs through the interwebz, the games themselves are being emulated in server farms in various undisclosed (:ninja:) locations around the world.  There's no reason to believe that downloading any content will increase speeds or make the games more playable, and if there is, then Sony has some new tech it just patented, cause I've never heard of anything like that before.

You're making it sound way more complicated than it actually is. Seems pretty obvious to me that you just download the full game like you would with any other digital game and play it natively from the system itself so long as your subscription is active - no streaming required. PS4 games only.

29 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

There's also the possibility of it being cached data like assets. That would help a lot. 

Or it could be like when you're downloading a game and can play it before its finished(again data is there, just not in full). 

Or it could be full downloads

5 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

You're making it sound way more complicated than it actually is. Seems pretty obvious to me that you just download the full game like you would with any other digital game and play it natively from the system itself so long as your subscription is active - no streaming required. PS4 games only.

Nothing I said is making anything more complicated than it is, that's actually how PS Now works, lol.  And even if it is PS4 only games, seems like a lot of extra work for such a small percentage feature.

Just now, Dav9834 said:

There's also the possibility of it being cached data like assets. That would help a lot. 

Or it could be like when you're downloading a game and can play it before its finished(again data is there, just not in full). 

Or it could be full downloads

Caching data on your system for something that's being processed on a server farm hundreds of miles away wouldn't help at all, it'd be about as efficient as playing the game by calling someone on the phone and telling them what inputs to make while you watch the screen.

Full downloads would be the only plausible option, and like I said, it's a very small percentage of the catalog, just doesn't seem worth it, but you never know, it is Sony.

7 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Nothing I said is making anything more complicated than it is, that's actually how PS Now works, lol.  And even if it is PS4 only games, seems like a lot of extra work for such a small percentage feature.

I wasn't talking about that - I know how PS Now works. I was referring to what you said about downloading data to increase responsiveness when streaming a game. You wouldn't need to stream the game at all if it's downloaded onto your system. How would downloading the full game be "a lot of extra work"? It's no different to downloading PS+ games.

I'm under the impression that alot of people who use Playstation Now are PC gamers who want to play select Playstation Games (no sources, just that I see it brought up alot more in PC threads and usually in a more favorable light, so I always imagined that was the target market), it seems a bit silly to allow only console players to download games in what I imagine is not an easy feature to implement. If they want to target PS4 owners, it would have been easier to market a PSNow and PSPlus pack with a slight discount.

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I wasn't talking about that - I know how PS Now works. I was referring to what you said about downloading data to increase responsiveness when streaming a game. You wouldn't need to stream the game at all if it's downloaded onto your system. How would downloading the full game be "a lot of extra work"? It's no different to downloading PS+ games.

It's completely different, actually.  It's a completely different service handled by a completed different department, using a completely different interface.  It would need to be designed, coded, tested, and even with the existing template to cut down the time it takes to do this, it's still not a trivial matter to get it up and running and then keep it running while minimizing and correctly and issues along the way.  If you've ever worked with or for Sony, you'd know that the left hand never knows what the right is doing.  Getting two departments to coordinate or talk to each other is like pulling teeth.  So there's nothing simple about it.  So again, it's a lot of extra work for a very small percentage feature.

1 minute ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's completely different, actually.  It's a completely different service handled by a completed different department, using a completely different interface.  It would need to be designed, coded, tested, and even with the existing template to cut down the time it takes to do this, it's still not a trivial matter to get it up and running and then keep it running while minimizing and correctly and issues along the way.  If you've ever worked with or for Sony, you'd know that the left hand never knows what the right is doing.  Getting two departments to coordinate or talk to each other is like pulling teeth.  So there's nothing simple about it.  So again, it's a lot of extra work for a very small percentage feature.

Well Sony clearly think it's worth all that time and effort you think it would take, lol. :P Microsoft already do it with their Xbox Games Pass, so now Sony are following in their footsteps. It should have been an option as soon as they started to put PS4 games onto the service. It makes no sense to stream a game when the hardware is capable of running it natively. 

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well Sony clearly think it's worth all that time and effort you think it would take, lol. :P Microsoft already do it with their Xbox Games Pass, so now Sony are following in their footsteps. It should have been an option as soon as they started to put PS4 games onto the service. It makes no sense to stream a game when the hardware is capable of running it natively. 

Microsoft can do it with their entire line-up, Sony is limited to what, 20%?  It's been a while since I checked, but PS4 games are the minority of the titles available, are they not?

And I do agree that it's a nice option to have, but there's no way it possibly could have been an option from the start since they used to allow Sony TVs, blu ray players, PS3s, Vitas, and other devices to use the service.  Since that's been dumbed down to just PS4 and PC, it's more plausible now, though some would argue they'd prefer having more streaming options than a download feature.  Since the beginning this was marketed as a streaming service, not a download and play service.  They already have one of those, it's called PS+ IGC.  Just because one company (M$) offers a specific type of service doesn't mean Sony and everyone else has to offer the exact same service.  I know that's a norm these days, but different companies offering different options used to be a staple of corporate society.  I'm all for PS Now being a streaming service (not that I'd use it anyway).  I had only minor issues during my free week trial and I used it about 10 hours a day.  My only issue with it is the price.  If it were cheaper, I might subscribe.

Edited by Matto_lsi

1 hour ago, Matto_lsi said:

Microsoft can do it with their entire line-up, Sony is limited to what, 20%?  It's been a while since I checked, but PS4 games are the minority of the titles available, are they not?

And I do agree that it's a nice option to have, but there's no way it possibly could have been an option from the start since they used to allow Sony TVs, blu ray players, PS3s, Vitas, and other devices to use the service.  Since that's been dumbed down to just PS4 and PC, it's more plausible now, though some would argue they'd prefer having more streaming options than a download feature.  Since the beginning this was marketed as a streaming service, not a download and play service.  They already have one of those, it's called PS+ IGC.  Just because one company (M$) offers a specific type of service doesn't mean Sony and everyone else has to offer the exact same service.  I know that's a norm these days, but different companies offering different options used to be a staple of corporate society.  I'm all for PS Now being a streaming service (not that I'd use it anyway).  I had only minor issues during my free week trial and I used it about 10 hours a day.  My only issue with it is the price.  If it were cheaper, I might subscribe.

Yeah I totally agree, I do think the price needs to be cheaper. I think if they lowered the price a lot more people would subscribe to the service. Xbox Game Pass has PS Now beat in terms of price, and also in the method they've gone about it in your downloading the games in full. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X