553 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a gamer are you?

• Completionist
    • Trophy Hunter
    • Cross Breed
    • Casual
    • Other
    • The Bullstomps

I mostly fit in the trophy hunter category, but do restrict myself to games with difficulty under 7-8 depending on the genre, and only buy DLC for games I really enjoyed, or if it goes on sale. Also I don't bother with international trophy lists, but will play the same game for multiple plats on different consoles. Trophies FTW!

I consider it a bonus when I can have my Vita and PS running at the same time!

Edit - I will try to finish every game I start, and should also mention I will not just buy easy games for trophies to inflate my count, unless I think I’ll like enjoy them to some degree. Magus taught me that horrible but important lesson. So no “I am Mayo” and the likes unless i get them through PS+. 

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1

To me a completionist is someone who does everything the developer asks of them, including getting trophies; a trophy hunter only cares about the trophy challenges; and then you have those strange creatures who keep setting themselves challenges not envisioned by the dev at all (such as finishing a level without killing anything, or whatever). 

Of these I'm more a trophy hunter I guess, but with a first priority to having fun experiences regardless and then moving to trophies. 

Probably a mixture of cross breed and casual by your definition though. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

8 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I guess I fit into the completionist category, as you've defined it. I'd never buy a game just for the trophies, but I do try to 100% all of the games I buy, because I buy stuff that I think I'll enjoy. Thus, I generally don't care if a game is long or difficult, because that just means more bang for my buck. I suppose what keeps me from being casual is that I'll keep playing the stuff that I didn't enjoy, but that's mostly because I don't want the game to think it got the best of me.

That's right. Shitty games are out to get me.

Oh that's really nicely put, I've added that in because I agree with that notion too.

• Like 1

I’ve evolved over the course of several profiles on several systems. I’ve considered all of those aspects and dabbled as well. 

I now enjoy my spot at the bottom of the dung heap where there is no pressure. Free to do whatever the flip I want, regardless of appearances. 

Livin the good life  - trophies, plats, 100%s - or not. 

Life and people first, games and profiles second. 

I'm largely a cross-breed.  My "litmus test" isn't how difficult a game is, if my profile is any indication, but I will avoid games with immense amounts of online like the plague because I simply don't enjoy it .... and because I have a large enough backlog that I won't run out of things to play for quite some time even when I deliberately won't acquire certain titles I might otherwise enjoy.

But I also have a lot of completionist tendencies.

• Like 1

I followed the "Trophy Whore" path for a little while. Stacked Sound Shapes, Murdered: Soul Suspect, My Name Is Mayo and played some trash games like Energy Cycle and Orc Slayer.

I wasn't having fun and it was just miserable. So I've taken to games I've been wanting to get for months, if not years and I feel much happier for it.

My opinion is if you have a 95 percent completion rate or higher, YOU ARE A COMPLETIONIST. 90 - 95 percent is pretty good too, practically anything above 90 percent is usually solid.

Platinum hunters only go for the platinum and move on to the next game. I see tons of accounts where they only complete the base game and they don't bother at all with the DLC. Yes, DLC costs money and if you buy the Season Pass you are shelling out $90 - 100+ dollars for just one game. But when I see people with several hundred games on their lists, they are more than able to buy DLC.

50 to 80 percent, you aren't really a completionist. I wouldn't even consider you a trophy hunter if you're below 30 - 40 percent, you just play games purely for fun. Which is fine too, everyone has different tastes and wants.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Spaz said:

My opinion is if you have a 95 percent completion rate or higher, YOU ARE A COMPLETIONIST. 90 - 95 percent is pretty good too, practically anything above 90 percent is usually solid.

I don't think it's as back and white as that. For instance, you can 100% Skyrim in about 30 hours, probably less. Now that involves skipping about 80% of the game's content, but on paper both the speed-runner and someone who's fully explored the game with about 150 hours playtime will look the same. Would you still hold them both under the same umbrella? I also think you can be a completionist even without shelling out on DLC as long as you are exploring everything the base game has to offer beyond the trophy list. This in turn could mean that you'd have a profile sitting in the 80% range but as far as I'm concerned if they've played all their games to death but weren't able to buy DLC or weren't interested in them, they are still completionists.

From what I've read in some of your threads, even without looking at your profile I'd say you're a completionist because you do like to get the most out of your games and you're certainly not afraid to challenge yourself (for better or worse). You're also happy to enjoy the game as you see fit rather than take easy routes e.g. The Witcher 3 where you were enjoying the side quests alongside the main story on the hardest difficulty. Now a trophy hunter (or a hybrid) would approach it very differently (imo) and take the most efficient route to the plat. That's the difference I see which goes beyond numbers.

Of course I'm aware that's my subjective definition of it but it makes more sense to me.

Edited by Zolkovo

I put casual. I will go after a platinum if it is fun, not too time-consuming, and not too difficult/too much of a pain. If you actually look at my list, 80-90% of my platinums are easy to medium difficulty depending on who you ask. If I can't get the platinum, I get as many easy ones that I can get without too much difficulty and move on. I always try to get at least the story-related ones, but I will leave the game if I get bored and play something else and eventually come back to it when I feel like it... Maybe.

I'm not full-on casual (I don't just play CoD and FIFA if you get what I'm saying), but I'm closer to that than a cross breed.

I'm definitely a casual. I only buy games I'm interested in and I really only tend to go platinum for games that don't have insane requirements or online trophies since I'm not a fan of online and I tend to play only when I'm in the mood to do so. My work schedule is erratic so my time for gaming can be slim some days so I just do what I can when I can.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

I don't think it's as back and white as that. For instance, I won't name anyone but I've seen a profile with 60+ plats and it's at 99%. This person has more trophies and plats and a higher completion % than me but I still wouldn't label them as such because every single one of their games was around 2 hours or less. I think they had a couple of VNs which were like 7-8 hours but that is definitely not my definition of a completionist. I also think you can be a completionist even without shelling out on DLC as long as you are exploring everything the base game has to offer. This in turn could mean that you'd have a profile sitting in the 80% range but as far as I'm concerned if they've played all their games to death but weren't able to buy DLC or weren't interested in them, they are still completionists.

From what I've read in some of your threads, even without looking at your profile I'd say you're a completionist because you do like to get the most out of your games and you're certainly not afraid to challenge yourself (for better or worse). You're also happy to enjoy the game as you see fit rather than take easy routes e.g. The Witcher 3 where you were enjoying the side quests alongside the main story on the hardest difficulty. Now a trophy hunter (or a hybrid) would approach it very differently (imo) and take the most efficient route to the plat. That's the difference I see which goes beyond numbers.

Of course I'm aware that's my subjective definition of it but it makes more sense to me.

Well to be frank I mostly just put what games I want on my list. I have a throwaway account for games I'm a bit nervous on putting. I played Super Meat Boy two months before I put it on my main account, and since I'm not too far from the platinum, I might as well go for it. Eventually, just not in the mood to do Cotton Alley too seriously for the time being.

I am not a guy who plays mostly difficult games. Personally I get far too frustrated with some games, while I will play a game that is more difficult than average, or a game most people probably can't complete, I like a fair balance. But I do like the challenge. There are games like Dead Space 2 and Vanquish that I wholeheartedly intend to play and platinum, which are difficult, one because it has Hardcore difficulty where you can only save three times, the other because of the challenges which I guess a lot of people can't do.

People like Hakoom and Roughdawg4 play a numbers game. Personally I think stacking 100s of Japanese visual novels isn't my idea of fun or accomplishment, it's simply mashing buttons to get through them as quick as possible, just for the platinum trophies. The people who have games that are difficult, games that require hundreds of hours to complete, or games that require a great deal of online boosting and whom have a high completion rate are those I respect. You look at those who just play for trophies in a different way than those who want to play the games they've been wanting to play. I see them both as completionists, but one deserves more respect than the other.

I enjoyed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and it's my longest game so far, clocking in at around 135 hours to get all the trophies in it. I probably could of cut that time in half if I were a speed runner, but I am not a speed runner and thus I try my best to get the most enjoyment out of the games I play. Not all trophy hunters are those who play exclusively for the trophies.

Edited by Spaz

13 minutes ago, Spaz said:

[...] Not all trophy hunters are those who play exclusively for the trophies.

That's exactly the point xD I'm simply calling your definition of trophy hunter something else.

Edited by Zolkovo

15 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

I don't think it's as back and white as that. For instance, I won't name anyone but I've seen a profile with 60+ plats and it's at 99%. This person has more trophies and plats and a higher completion % than me but I still wouldn't label them as such because every single one of their games was around 2 hours or less. I think they had a couple of VNs which were like 7-8 hours but that is definitely not my definition of a completionist. I also think you can be a completionist even without shelling out on DLC as long as you are exploring everything the base game has to offer beyond the trophy list. This in turn could mean that you'd have a profile sitting in the 80% range but as far as I'm concerned if they've played all their games to death but weren't able to buy DLC or weren't interested in them, they are still completionists.

Just playing Devils Advocate but what if that person just really likes VN's and Adventure games and how does the type of game they play make their efforts any less valid?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, majob said:

Just playing Devils Advocate but what if that person just really likes VN's and Adventure games and how does the type of game they play make their efforts any less valid?

Nothing wrong with it at all, fair play to them. But when it's all done in the space of three days with half of them being stacks it makes you wonder what the motive really was. Also that user seems to have removed themselves since I last checked :P

I changed the example to a more suitable one in any case.

Edited by Zolkovo

10 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Nothing wrong with it at all, fair play to them. But when it's all done in the space of three days with half of them being stacks it makes you wonder what the motive really was. Also that user seems to have removed themselves since I last checked :P 

Welp that says everything then ?

According to your definitions I would classify myself as a hybrid among the first three, but I think the general consensus would look at my trophy list and would consider me a completionist (trophy wise anyway), which I think of myself as well.

Depending on how much I enjoy a game, I may keep playing past the 100% trophy mark if I feel there's anything left I would want to do, even though there is clearly more that I could finish/attain/etc. So in a way I'm probably not a "true completionist" then to some people's standards. Even though this seems like I'm not experiencing all of what the game has to offer, this may not be a bad thing because this let's me move on to other games sooner (and lets face it, there are so many other games out there to experience with the limited time we have).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crft555 said:

If you looked at my profile

I believe you would get a different opinion of what I am, to what I believe I am?

Anyone want to have a guess, before I state what I think?

It's always difficult to say just based on someone's profile, which is kinda the underlying point of this thread. But if I were to hazard a guess it seems to me like you play any game that you find enjoyable until you don't xD

14 minutes ago, crft555 said:

If you looked at my profile

I believe you would get a different opinion of what I am, to what I believe I am?

Anyone want to have a guess, before I state what I think?

Casual with a hint of cross breed?