553 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a gamer are you?

• Completionist
    • Trophy Hunter
    • Cross Breed
    • Casual
    • Other
    • The Bullstomps

I’d probably be a cross breed tbh. I really enjoy trophy hunting and with a lot of games I don’t play past earning the plat. However I don’t buy games purely for trophies and I also wouldn’t restrict myself to playing a game just because I don’t think I’d be able to get the platinum. The ding of a trophy is very satisfying though. I’d also say I’m pretty casual in regards to the fact that I play things for fun, so if I find a game frustrating (in a bad way) or I’m just not feeling it I’ll go play something else instead. It all depends on the game I suppose.  I’m very rarely a completionist tbh. There’s only a few games that I’ll go above and beyond to 100% if it’s not required. 

• Like 1

Casual with a little more than a bit of cross breed of trophy hunter and completionist....

I try all games don't care about the ratio or % completition then if I like tha game or something do click on me and I feel the challenge or motivation for that one I go for it and last if I have the dlc I may do the 100% but if I don't own it I simply not and don't care (I don't buy dlc unless I like it to much like happened with Little Big Planet series).

So yeah I have a bit of the three options haha so I guess I get the best of the 2 two worlds. 

Actually a good example for this is right now I'm working in COD WII be cause I like the game and that platinium 1.50% I think I can have it but the last month City Skylines and Farmimg Simulator I tryed them but nah they don't are for me I guess, so I don't going to push myself trough it for a plat. (Knowing that COD is more "harder" to get that Farming Simulator).

Edited by NordicSaiyan

Can't say I am any of those. Like a mixture of most of them to some point.

• In some games I want to unlock everything (beyond the platinum)
  • Some games I simply quit after the plat
  • Some games I play just 4 fun for 100s of hours (Isaac, SF5, CTR, MHW)
  • I play mostly games that are fun to me, or at some point I expected to be fun (sometimes expectations were wrong)
  • I also have a masochistic tendency and like to torture myself with hard games (not as much as few years ago though)

So yeah, kinda all of them and none of them simultanously.

Before the systems like the trophies from Playstation, I already liked doing things like getting all collectibles, fighting all bosses, clearing all dungeons, etc. When I really liked a game, I would do even more things, many of them pointless, just to continue to play the game, like getting everyone to max level, opening all chests, etc. 

Nowadays I always strive to platinum every game, and normally that marks the end of the game for me. But I only play what I would normally play. No offense to anyone, but I will not play an easy game just to boost my platinum count, or get multiple stacks of the same game. If after the platinum trophy pops there is still something that I wish to do, I will do.

When going for a platinum, I always try to balance the minimum amount of time with the most enjoyable way to play. So, for example, the game only requires 1 playthrough. I could play on easy to be faster, but I play on normal or hard. Also I dont skip dialogue or cutscenes for the sake of being faster. 

Before playing something, I dont care about completion rate, or if the game is hard or not, or if it will take 20 or 100 hours. The only thing that I take in consideration is that if I will be able to finish (platinum) after I start, because there is nothing more that I hate than the feeling of wasting your time starting something and not finishing. If I start something, I have to go until the end.

Considering everything, I think the closest would be te cross-breed.

• Like 1

I consider myself a Completionist/Trophy Hunter hybrid, but preferred to vote for Completionist.

Won't go too out of my way to do things if I consider them too time-consuming while not rewarding enough (for example, I didn't do the trials in Shadow of Mordor, except for the two that give trophies), but, apart from that, I try to do everything, even if it's not necessary for the platinum. I also don't pick up games that I know I probably won't like just for the sake of getting trophies, for example.

Edited by Eagle

I'd say I'm a mix of completionist and cross breed.  I tend to buy games that sound fun, but I do at times let trophies influence what I'll play next.  Like I'm not going to start a game that is a massive grind if I'm more in the mood to do something quick and easy.  I'm not the sort to try and find everything in a game, but I'll do stuff not required for the plat if it gives some good in game reward even if that reward is more story.  Mostly I deem the plat to be completing the game and rarely go above and beyond unless I love a game.  Often my above and beyond is I'll get another version of the game and do the plat again (did this with quite a few that weren't cross buy and even play on multiple platforms for especially fun games).

My only multi-regional stacking is cases of games not being available in English right away and I import the Japanese and then buy the English when it releases years later.  I'm not going to go out of my way to get other regions or versions of games just for trophies, but I will try to plat any stacks I get when buying.  I don't buy games that don't at least sound fun just for easy trophies, but I also don't dig much into how good a game is before playing because I tend to get overblown expectations when I do.  I'd rather risk getting a dud than disliking a good game because I expected too much of it.  My research tends to consist of are all trophies obtainable and can they all be obtained without playing with others online?  If the answer to both of those is yes and the game sounds fun enough, I'll buy it.  However, I will power my way even through a game that isn't great if I've earned a trophy before finding that out because I'd rather do that than leave an incomplete game on my profile when I can complete it.  I often have to take breaks on those and go back later.  I've actually had a few of those end up being more fun when I went back to finish them though, so sometimes it's a good thing that I have that tendency to want to finish what I started .

Used to be a Trophy Hunter when I was younger, now with a job, responsibilities piling up and less time to play, I'm more of a cross breed, I only plat games I really enjoy or those with easy plats.

Edited by Ninjise

I'm A Trophy hunter, mostly because nowadays games never really end so popping a platinum for me is the end without going into a time sink of pointless grinding (either for collectibles of for level caps) It's Accepting What the devs have deemed a challenge and rising up to that challenge to hone my skills as a player. For me it's also the most cost effective DLC can get really pricey so unless i really like the game i tend to avoid it. But that just my opinion.

I'm cross breed. If a game has a platinum which is too difficult, I tend to stay away from it. I don't want to play a game and have it stuck at 80% or something because of some trophies which are way too difficult. However, I don't go out of my way to 100% complete a trophy list. Platinum is enough for me. I also tend to stop playing a game and never come back to it once I have all of the trophies.

I'm going with the cross breed thing as well. My main focus has always been to complete games, but these days that goes hand in hand with achievement/trophy hunting, so I ended up getting into that too.

I'm going with the "trophy hunter" category. Usually i pick my game deciding on the mood i have currently and the number of online base trophies and the proximity of server closures are two decisive factors for buying/starting a game, altough it may happen that i like a game and i decide to squeeze all the current available trophies, even if i cannot get the plat/100% score from it.

Edited by Vampirehunter145

Completionist: Buy the game, 100% the game, delete the game, move on to the next one. A game really has to go above and beyond to get me to play through a second time, or play through on the super-extremely-hard difficulty, or grind out multiplayer.

It just so happens that with a lot of games, getting 100% means you end up either getting the platinum, or getting so close that the remaining trophies are trivial. I don't buy games for the platinum, I just use the platinum as a sign that I've done everything the game has to offer.

• Like 2

I'd say I'm somewhere between a "completionist" and "cross-breed" based on your criteria. I don't often 100% games, but I am one of those people that "rarely lets a trophy list influence my choice in playing a game", at least most of the time. I mostly just play games for fun, I won't spend more time on a game if needed if I'd rather move onto something else or just don't think it's worth it. I rarely drop anything unless it's really boring or frustrating though. I've definitely suffered through some games more than I probably should have just for the sake of finishing or platting them, but I'm not gonna bother if it feels like it's wasting my time with little to no sense of achievement or enjoyment for an extended period of time.

I haven't been playing too many Playstation games in recent months due to me focusing on my backlog on other systems, and I have to admit, it does feel a little "sad" seeing me drop in the leaderboard on this site, but it's not enough to make me crack out some easy platable games to crawl up the ranks again.

Think I would classify myself as a mix of Trophy Hunter and Cross Breed. I tend to get the platinum in every game I get, as I enjoy getting them. The trophy list is sort of a deciding factor for me, as I mainly avoid games with a lot of online trophies, unless I’m really interested in the game. I will occasionally play the game even after getting the platinum, especially open world games if there’s plenty of side missions to do or if I just want to explore.

• 11 months later...

11 months since the last reply in this thread, I think it’s time to revive it!! ?

I would consider myself a Cross Breed. Or at least I don’t know yet what side is stronger.

And I know I don’t have many games on my profile yet. I kinda try to finish a game before starting another.

On the one hand I like:

– having fun while playing: I like Open World

– earning trophies in general since every trophy counts: yes, trophies that are not platinum count as well

– only starting games I can finish: meaning completing (nearly) all in-game stuff and trophies

– completing different game versions (not other regions) to get some trophies twice (e.g. playing PS4 and PS5 version)
– earning trophies in an unusual (and legitimate) order or multiple at once

– entry-level trophy-speedrunning: only at rarest occasions and only when I already know the game by heart (never done it yet)

And what I don’t like:

– PVP: PVP-only games? Hell no! Watch Dogs 2 multiplayer Showdown? Sometimes, yes

– playing a game I absolutely don’t enjoy just for trophies: only if I know it before earning my first trophy (this is where a second account comes in handy to review games)

– playing shitty games that give platinum in minutes: who does that? It’s silly

– I absolutely don’t care about trophy earning rate, I’m more on the completion side

– autopopping trophies when playing different game versions: might not be preventable in online games, but if I wanna get a trophy list twice I better beat the game twice legitimately

So for example, I got PS4 and PS5 version of Control from PS Plus. Currently I’m on my way to finish the PS5 version, since it should deliver the best experience. After that I would probably start the PS4 version, because of the trophies.

I admit I would enable the in-game immortality and one-shot option in my second playthrough, but I would still have to go through the missions and collectibles.

So I wouldn’t do it with a game that’s almost too difficult for me to complete just once.

Probably the Trophy Hunter category. Once I get a platinum in a game, I don't really have the intention to touch it again any time soon (if ever). That's especially true for single-player games, And if it's a really easy platinum game that doesn't even require you to do everything to get the platinum, I usually exit the game after I get the platinum.

I still play Switch, as I have had a Switch longer than my PS4. But basically any game on Switch or other platforms that I could get on PS4, I tend to get them on PS4 because the trophies are an added bonus. Not to mention the PS4 has superior specs to the Switch.

Cross Breed. 

Still trying to boost my completion rate to 70%. This is my account since the beginning of PSN. 

Trying to get rid of my backlogs (those games that i casually play before) Unfortunately, there are lots of unobtainables due to Server Closures.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:39 PM, Zolkovo said:

The Cross Breeds

• Tend to consider a platinum/100% trophy list as completing a game
  • Occasionally spend additional time on a game beyond the platinum
  • May avoid games that have platinums walled behind difficulty so as not to jeopardise completion %
  • May tailor your profiles to maintain high completion rates e.g. avoiding games with large amounts of online trophies

Stop living in my head, rent-free!

Edited by damcrac5

The Cross Breeds.

At first it was very fun being a completionist but over time it almost killed my passion for trophy hunting and for gaming in general, now that I got a PS5 I will not care about completion any more, I am tired of avoiding games and being overly obsessed with being perfect. By the way... I respect everyone who still is a completionist after many years.

• Like 2

I think I kind of fall into two categories here. The trophy hunter and the Bullstomps. I enjoy trophy hunting whilst stacking to raise my Platinum count and my level but at the same time, I try to strive to be the best at whatever game I'm playing. I'm very competitive and take trophy hunting seriously. But all that combined just brings a lot of fun out the games I play

I don't fit in any of those categories, for me I would say that I am a what I consider a "True", general, Trophy Hunter

- I play any game I like, even if I don't want to spend the necessary time to Plat/100% it, but even so, I will get as many trophies as I can, for me Plat or 100% are not the meaning of Trophy Hunting, just getting 40% of mostly bronzes in a game is fine with me, I got those trophies, every trophy counts for me

- I go out of my way to avoid BS games like I am Mayo, and I try to curate my list as much as possible, no double stacking so on

- I research good fits for my list, that means games that I would enjoy and also are adding to my stats, this means that sometimes I give a chance to games I would normally not bother with, just because the trophies are not that difficult, so in case I don't like it, at least I will get a trophy boost

- I especially go out of my way to avoid online heavy games and 100% avoid online only games

First I thought I'm a plat hunter, however recently I discovered that nothing pisses me off more than a game with platinum and also a number less than 100 in case of completion percentage. I voted to be a cross breed, a guy of both worlds because... yeah, i like earning plats, but If I complete the game with 100% of its trophies without a platinum, it's more than fine for me. Is that... weird? Maybe I'm just a pedantic guy who needs to have that nice looking filled completion bar to the maximum of its 100%. Okay, yeah, I'm weird.

Edited by FractalGrinder
typo