No PlayStation Experience in 2018

Undead Wolf

So in the latest PlayStation Blogcast episode (I've never heard of it either), Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios chairman Shawn Layden announced that there would be no PlayStation Experience held in 2018 because they wouldn't have enough to show and didn't want to disappoint people. Here's the full quote:

“For 2018, I know this is going to be a disappointment to some people, but we have decided not to hold PlayStation Experience. We won’t have it in the States this year. The reasons behind that really are, we don’t have—we have a lot of progress that we’re making in our games, and we’re seeing that coming out—now that we have Spider-Man out the door, we’re looking down into 2019 into games like Dreams and Days Gone, but we wouldn’t have enough to bring people all together in some location in North America to have that event. We don’t want to set expectations really high and then not deliver on it, so we have—it was a hard decision—but we have determined that this year we will not hold PlayStation Experience."

An understandable decision given how Sony are now gearing up for the release of the PS5, so they want to keep a tight lid on what their first party studios are working on apart from the games we already know about of course. What do you guys think?

Oh, and so much for this... :P

• Like 1

Interesting how X018 is happening this year and PSX isn't.

Maybe Xbox is gonna announce a boat load of third party games that Sony will also get and Layden was all "Look, they're gonna do their thing anyway, why waste our own money on it?"

I'm sure that's not really what happened, but the point's valid, you want a nice show of upcoming games you can get near the end of the year, but PlayStation's not doing one? Well, there's always the other guy.

That just means that there's no major new projects for them to show, that's all.. 

E3 was already weak, only showing more of the same, without big news, the same for TGS (I believe, this year I didn't followed it, but outside of DMC5, the only other major relevant stuff was more trailers of KH3 and more 1 odd/random trailer of Death Stranded, right?), so overall a weak year conference wise, despite the release of several big first party AAA games.

And there's still Paris Games Week at the end of October for more updates on games that we already know that are in the making..

Without anything new to reveal (new as in unknown games or hardware), it really doesn't make sense to spend money hosting PSX at all, after all, hasn't PSX always being able announcing the existence of new games in the making? 

PS: it could also mean that there's no big advance in the on-the-making games, but I highly doubt that. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

Well kind of disappointing but I understand.

I have a funny feeling they don't want to announce any new major games because of the PS5 being on the horizon within the next 2 to 3 years. I am surprised they don't want to hold The Last of US part II for that. Then again the first part come out at the end of the PS3 era and was then remastered so the same may happen to Part II.

I am pretty sure the next game from Guerilla Games will be a PS5 launch title. Most likely Horizon Zero Dawn sequel.

Edited by snakebit10

44 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

And just like that there goes the rumour of PSN name changes being announced at PSX. 1f61d.png

I had a good laugh about that actually.

Otherwise though, it's understandable why they are not having one. Not like last year's PSX had anything really substantial.

Honestly, I might be one of the few that really hated last year PSX and his attitude of “if you don’t like this (reunion style) the door is right there” pissed me off. I stood all NIGHT waiting for something interesting and they stood there talking about God of War and other 3 other unreleased games, all that time.

And now they say don’t have enough content? They mean: Exactly like last year? Because they could do the same thing with Dreams, The Last of Us II, Days Gone and Death Stranding this year...

Btw: where the fuck is MEDIEVIL? They said “more details soon”... almost one year after and NOTHING! But sure, they have “nothing” to show this year.

I apologize for this rage, but these two attitudes from both last and this year are unacceptable to me.

19 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Honestly, I might be one of the few that really hated last year PSX and his attitude of “if you don’t like this (reunion style) the door is right there” pissed me off. I stood all NIGHT waiting for something interesting and they stood there talking about God of War and other 3 other unreleased games, all that time.

And now they say don’t have enough content? They mean: Exactly like last year? Because they could do the same thing with Dreams, The Last of Us II, Days Gone and Death Stranding this year...

Btw: where the fuck is MEDIEVIL? They said “more details soon”... almost one year after and NOTHING! But sure, they have “nothing” to show this year.

I apologize for this rage, but these two attitudes from both last and this year are unacceptable to me.

At the end of Shawn Layden's time on the PS Blogcast Sid Shuman asked Shawn about MediEvil, and he said we'll know more by the next time he's on the PS Blogcast.

52 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Nah, I hated it too. And everyone I conversed with during hated it too. If it was just going to be like last years I’m happy we don’t have it. I don’t mind that sort of content in and of itself, but not in place of what PSX was in former years. 

Personally, I think we have enough. 

Sony showcased their library during 2015 and 2016, with the best highlight being their God of War reveal that had every single fan at E3 showing great expectations and hype. Nothing since then has been able to recapture the magic. 

Days Gone is set to release in February 2019. We still have the Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and The Last Of Us Part II to look forward to. But other than those games, I don’t see anything significant that is going to be a first party Sony exclusive. 

Sony has been so far out in front this entire generation it sickens me.

The Xbox One has ok to mediocre first party games, so so first party support and a lack of good console sales, thanks to Phil Spencer’s shitty philosophy and the fact many of their games go on PC and Steam anyway.

Nintendo once again is doing their own thing as they have done for the past decade. Third party support for their Switch console is terrible because frankly, companies like Ubisoft aren’t going to take the time to assign teams to get their games properly ported over to Nintendo. So like before, they have to rely on their exclusives. 

Sony has showcased enough in my opinion. We’re still going to get good games for the PS4 Pro, there’s no shortage of that. 

Reading some of these posts makes me think you guys are asking for too much. You’re asking for another good performance like E3 2015 and E3 2016? You guys are always asking for more, when I think you should be happy with what you got. 

Spider-Man and Shadows of the Tomb Raider for example.

• Like 1

Honestly, not surprised. Just as the OP said, we basically have seen the rest of their PS4 roadmap of games and everything else is for PS5. I'm guessing we get the PS5 reveal next E3 and a release date sometime around holiday 2020. Overall I am okay with no PSX this year. Too many conferences anyway in my option right now as it is.