Server is now down.

Potent_Delusions

9 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Can confirm, it went down for me at aprox. 2:08 A.M CST. They didnt wait at all to kill it off.

i will miss this game dearly. 

It seems to be a new Sony trend that they kill any shutting games at 00:00 PST (where the servers are), hence I checked just after 8am my time. They're really desperate to save any money they can. 

2 minutes ago, Conker said:

so is the game still playable :P 

Yes. It was always going to work offline. The only way it wouldn't is if they released a firmware update to make the PS3 reject the game loading up somehow. That warning they gave is thoroughly misleading and made by someone with no knowledge of how the game works. 

Edited by Potent_Delusions

Oh, I for some reason thought they were going down on the 26th. I don't know why but I had that date in my head :(

Well I mean i had tons of time to get the trophies but I put it off as I had other stuff I was working on.

It was a shame about that game as it was a really fun game just the load times were complete bullshit.

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

I never got to play this one, though it's not the kind I typically like.

normally i hate kart racers, especially the fake drifting 'turn left & the kart moves to the right' nonsense, but modnation was something else... action, charm, humor, user generated content, cool editors, hub world of players, tips on loading screens, video tutorials, seamless offline/online transitions

not sure why people expect servers to mysteriously stay up after an announced date, what kind of sloppy employee or server script will randomly do it hours late?

now is the lowest player counts in the world, it will be the least disruption, look at any game with graphs, such as steam game charts, either the client or individual games, peak player counts are around noon EST because that's when europe's afternoon is, while right now is when most of the world sleeps or is at work

if i remember, MAG shut down at the same time a few years ago, i had japanese people on my team at that point

14 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

It was a shame about that game as it was a really fun game just the load times were complete bullshit.

load times were improved with patches werent they? the modspot also loads much faster offline since it's not trying to load a ton of custom content

Edited by kn00tcn

I was one of those individuals who was greatly mislead into thinking the game would be rendered completely unplayable after October 10. I have only owned the game since July and was scrambling to get as many trophies as possible. At least I can still finish the campaign. Was never realistically expecting to plat this one.

My game glitched out in December of 2017 making it impossible to publish any creations. This happened after I earned the plat but sadly I missed out on the three "publish a track using x theme". Frustrating that 10 months wasn't enough time for the servers to fix themselves enough to get my creations out of limbo.

This game was a lot of fun, trophies aside. I'm sad to see it go. 

Edited by Paper Boi
bad maths
  • Like 1

Been so busy irl that the shutdown slipped my mind for a while, until just this past week. Like getting a message from an old friend you haven't talked to in a long time, only to see that it's an invitation to their funeral. Real shame to see all that user created content and the online tourneys lost to the ages, but I suppose that's how life goes; "nothing gold can stay".

It was fun while it lasted. Rest in peace ModNation servers, you will be missed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KevTBP96 said:

I was one of those individuals who was greatly mislead into thinking the game would be rendered completely unplayable after October 10.

you could have disconnected the internet to see what the game does, but logically it would be strange to have an entire singleplayer unavailable (because it's not an MMO with server simulations)

14 hours ago, Paper Boi said:

My game glitched out in December of 2017 making it impossible to publish any creations. This happened after I earned the plat but sadly I missed out on the three "publish a track using x theme". Frustrating that 10 months wasn't enough time for the servers to fix themselves enough to get my creations out of limbo.

i dont think that's a glitch, i tried to make a 4chan one, extremely likely triggered some keyword for moderation, but of course nobody is available to moderate

9 hours ago, GR1Mshadow said:

all that user created content and the online tourneys lost to the ages

not exactly, it's still on everyone's hard drive that downloaded or created, all we need are backups

then insert the content to modded console or emulator

Edited by kn00tcn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Hey, is ModNation still playable offline?

I find it funny that update 4.83 was made available the same day they closed the game that "won't be playable even offline after shutdown".

I know it's just a coincidence, just wanna confirmation.

It is. When you get to the ModSpot, your car can't move though (at least on the one I checked). But you can access Career / Single Player Race / Split Screen.

Also, ModSpot Explorer is unobtainable as a result of the shutdown.

• 2 months later...