Why do people hate this game so much?

Sicho

1 hour ago, HaserPL said:

But your problem is that you are a fanboy, and whatever bad is said about your beloved company, you will still see it as an assault.

that is bullshit.

As a matter of fact, I dare you, no, I double dare you do cut together those RDR 2 errors. Because I know how this video would look like. Comparing this piece of shit Fallout game to RDR is like shooting in your foot with a shorty. Not smart.

you do know that RDR2 is full of game-breaking bugs and glitched quests? Just look in the RDR2 forum here on psnprofiles where every second or third topic has the word bug or glitch in the title! Graphical glitches are abundant. What about the Road of Fire or the big holes in the world? Why does RDR get a pass and Fallout 76 doesn't? And I'm not saying that the bugs in Fallout are okay or acceptable, but they aren't world-ending catastrophes and definitely don't merit HATE! If some gamers would love other people with the same passion that they hate some games, the world would be a better place! EDIT: also let's wait and see how bugfree RDR Online will be when it launches... that will be a much fairer comparison to FO76.

2 hours ago, Spider-Beyond said:

It's 2018 and Fallout 76 looks like complete garbage compared to Spider-man,God Of War and Red Dead Redemption 2.Bethesda and their old outdated engine needs to go away.

The game has its fair share of problems but they don't make it unplayable or not fun!

There's one review on metacritic were a gamer said "Yes, it's buggy. Yes, it was a little laggy. Don't care. Joined up with a random guy I met outside the vault and we went off in search of power armor. Took a couple capture points, farmed some materials, PVPd a little, hunted some "wanted" people, it was FUN." That's the right attitude in my opinion. (unless the game is unplayable like f.ex. Batman Arkham Knight was for many PC players) Who cares about some bugs that can be patched out when the base game is so much fun? Of course, it would be better bug-free. But what's the alternative? No Fallout at all until a Fallout 5 in 2025 or so?

I don't care how it looks. Expecting that every game looks like the latest AAA Hollywood title is unrealistic and quite frankly not something I want. It looks as good or sometimes even better than Fallout 4 and that's good enough in my book. I would even play it if it had Fallout 3 graphics, heck I still even sometimes play Fallout 3. Sometimes, even Fallout 1... you know, 2D and pixels. Awful I know, how can I play such obsolete things in 2018? I must be mad! Or is it maybe because graphics aren't really that important?

Yes, Spiderman and God of War look good. But they are also "only" hollywood-type attraction rides with almost no liberties where you are slowly put from one set piece to the next like in an attraction park. (which is basically what all Sony Games are lately) That's the price you pay for looking good. And while we are at it: RDR looks amazing, when it comes to landscapes. But the humans in the game don't necessarily look like 2018. But it fits the style of the game so it's OK. The same goes for Fallout 76 - it has a certain style that's represented  in the graphics and it's OK even if it's not looking like a Witcher 3 or a God of War!

Edited by Sicho

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

They had originally planned to announce diablo 4 there as well, but pulled out at the last minute.

These people pay a lot of good money to go there to find out about the next big blizzard announcement for their PCs, I would be extremely mad too

These things happen and plans can change last minute. I would also be disappointed if I'd care about the Diablo franchise but I still would never go down the road of "hate". I play video games for more than 25 years now, the amount of times I was angry at or disappointed by games, game companies, decisions, cancellations, direction changes etc. is huge and if I would throw a fit every time this happens... well I owuld basically never stop and probably be dead by now because my heart would have exploded ?

But that is the main reason for this thread... it's not that Fallout 76 is buggy and that some people may be disappointed in it... it's the loud RAGE, the SCREAMING, the WHINING, the BASHING and the all around CHILDISHNESS on display! Thanks to the internet, everyone has a voice. And it seems because everyone has a voice now, only those that "scream" lound enough can be "heard". That's why in the online communities in gaming (and also in others), it seems that only the extreme positions are valid. The more moderate opinions are drowned out by that loud noise. And what worries me is that I cannot say with certainty anymore that it is just a loud minority... I get the feeling that they are more and more becoming a majority...

It worries me. Just look at some replies I got in this topic just because I had the audacity to say "hey, FO76 isn't so bad as everyone says"... almost like saying Jehovah ...

6 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

Also, the game is fucking the lore. Super mutants should not exist in the east coast at this time. In fact they shouldn't even exist at all this early in the timeline. 

that's BS since FEV was developed before the bombs fell and according to 76 lore, West Tek put FEV into the drinking water of Huntersville BEFORE the Great War.

So it's explained without fucking anything up. It all makes sense and is well connected.

That's definitely not something you can hold against the game. Bethesda is always very careful with Lore, Elder Scrolls is a perfect example of that. There is some retroactive continuity in the Fallout games but never something major that would render any of the older main series games moot or non-canon. 

I think that it's laughable if people are complaining that it's not a traditional fallout game or that they don't like it because it focuses on multiplayer rather than the story. Do you live under a rock? That's what this game advertised was a nontraditional fallout game that can be played with a friend. I don't quite understand this criticism.

However, I do understand the glitch criticism. I have played through fallout 3 and NV (FO4 is still sitting on the shelf) and have never had a good experience with glitches in these games. I've had issues where my save function didn't work at all, seeing all sorts of hilarious BS with enemies stuck in walls or bodies sinking through the ground (or myself sometimes... Not so hilarious), issues with the character's models, or not being able to turn in missions. I've gone through my fair share of this and frankly, I'd be tired of it too which might be why people are hating on it so much. I wasn't planning on buying this one anyways because I don't like MP games only, but reading some of these issues just makes the decision easier. The reason why I haven't played 4 yet is because of my bad experiences with the other two. I play games I think I'll enjoy the most first. Hence why it's been sitting on my shelf for nearly 2 years...

In the end @Sicho it comes down to expectations. Do you expect a fully polished game (from Bethesda) when it comes out or not? And how much is tolerable? Sounds like people are boiled over from frustration. Lol

13 minutes ago, Sicho said:

The game has its fair share of problems but they don't make it unplayable or not fun!

There's one review on metacritic were a gamer said "Yes, it's buggy. Yes, it was a little laggy. Don't care. Joined up with a random guy I met outside the vault and we went off in search of power armor. Took a couple capture points, farmed some materials, PVPd a little, hunted some "wanted" people, it was FUN." That's the right attitude in my opinion. (unless the game is unplayable like f.ex. Batman Arkham Knight was for many PC players) Who cares about some bugs that can be patched out when the base game is so much fun? Of course, it would be better bug-free. But what's the alternative? No Fallout at all until a Fallout 5 in 2025 or so?

I don't care how it looks. Expecting that every game looks like the latest AAA Hollywood title is unrealistic and quite frankly not something I want. It looks as good or sometimes even better than Fallout 4 and that's good enough in my book. I would even play it if it had Fallout 3 graphics, heck I still even sometimes play Fallout 3. Sometimes, even Fallout 1... you know, 2D and pixels. Awful I know, how can I play such obsolete things in 2018? I must be mad! Or is it maybe because graphics aren't really that important?

Yes, Spiderman and God of War look good. But they are also "only" hollywood-type attraction rides with almost no liberties where you are slowly put from one set piece to the next like in an attraction park. (which is basically what all Sony Games are lately) That's the price you pay for looking good. And while we are at it: RDR looks amazing, when it comes to landscapes. But the humans in the game don't necessarily look like 2018. But it fits the style of the game so it's OK. The same goes for Fallout 76 - it has a certain style that's represented  in the graphics and it's OK even if it's not looking like a Witcher 3 or a God of War!

They didn't listen to the community and feedback. Fallout 76 again has the same Issues as Fallout 4, same old engine.They don't care, they rather have the ability to make games faster and have modders fix for them. No.....I rather have this game fail so bad that Bethesda Is forced to finally wake up and learn to get better. No one and I mean no one Is gonna buy their games If they keep doing the same bullshit excuse with the same old Engine....enough Is enough.

10 minutes ago, Spider-Beyond said:

They didn't listen to the community and feedback. Fallout 76 again has the same Issues as Fallout 4, same old engine.They don't care, they rather have the ability to make games faster and have modders fix for them. No.....I rather have this game fail so bad that Bethesda Is forced to finally wake up and learn to get better. No one and I mean no one Is gonna buy their games If they keep doing the same bullshit excuse with the same old Engine....enough Is enough.

That's my only complaint that they're still using the gamebryo engine that fallout 3 ran on, albeit heavily modified. The engine is notorious for its memory leaks

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

That's my only complaint that they're still using the gamebryo engine that fallout 3 ran on, albeit heavily modified. The engine is notorious for its memory leaks

it's not Gamebryo anymore since Skyrim, it's Creation Engine. They will also be using it for Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield. 

It won't go away. It will evolve and it will be used.

I agree that the engine has issues but who knows how the next version will be? Also, an engine is not "one thing" that is either good or bad. An engine is a collection of parts and while some parts might be bad, they can be changed, replaced and made better.

The engine did evolve a lot in the last years. Back when Fallout 4 came out, it wasn't even capable at all of multiplayer. Now there's a game out with around 30 players at once. Lightning and other rendering stuff also changed dramatically.

They will probably "never" make a completely new engine from scrap. Not only would it cost millions and take ages, but you also have to train your staff to work with it etc. It would mean that they couldn't put out a single game for years, that their staff has to start from scratch and decades of experience with a toolset would be gone. Either they continue developing CE (which sees is what they are doing) or they may switch to a pre-made engine like UE in the future... although that engine probably doesn't fulfill the requirements they have for their open-world RPGs and isn't compatible with the tools/technologies they developed (Radiant AI f.ex.) But I can't see them doing a whole new thing.

Let's just wait how the next-gen version of CE pans out. I'm cautiously optimistic. They know they have to step it up a notch.

8 minutes ago, Sicho said:

it's not Gamebryo anymore since Skyrim, it's Creation Engine. They will also be using it for Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield. 

It won't go away. It will evolve and it will be used.

I agree that the engine has issues but who knows how the next version will be? Also, an engine is not "one thing" that is either good or bad. An engine is a collection of parts and while some parts might be bad, they can be changed, replaced and made better.

The engine did evolve a lot in the last years. Back when Fallout 4 came out, it wasn't even capable at all of multiplayer. Now there's a game out with around 30 players at once. Lightning and other rendering stuff also changed dramatically.

They will probably "never" make a completely new engine from scrap. Not only would it cost millions and take ages, but you also have to train your staff to work with it etc. It would mean that they couldn't put out a single game for years, that their staff has to start from scratch and decades of experience with a toolset would be gone. Either they continue developing CE (which sees is what they are doing) or they may switch to a pre-made engine like UE in the future... although that engine probably doesn't fulfill the requirements they have for their open-world RPGs and isn't compatible with the tools/technologies they developed (Radiant AI f.ex.) But I can't see them doing a whole new thing.

Let's just wait how the next-gen version of CE pans out. I'm cautiously optimistic. They know they have to step it up a notch.

The Creation Engine is a 3D video game engine created by Bethesda Game Studios based on the Gamebryo engine. 

"Morrowind was originally built on NetImmerse, an engine that saw many other uses in some very different games, like Dark Age of Camelot and Freedom Force. In 2004, after Numerical Design Limited, the engine's creator, merged with another company, the engine was rebranded. At this time, Bethesda still licensed what was then called Gamebryo, modifying it further and releasing Oblivion in 2006. By 2008, when production on Skyrim began, the engine had been modified to the point that it was mostly Bethesda's code running in a framework that NDL had designed; hence it was renamed the Creation Engine."

like I said, it's a heavily modified version of the gamebryo engine, and it suffers from the same problems as older Bethesda games

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 2

Loving all the bootlickers who call any criticism of something they like "whiny and entitled"

On the other side, saying something is shit without some kind of first-hand experience is pretty dumb, but having watched a friend play it, I can ascertain that this game is not for me from a variety of worrying observations that I made, which is disappointing because I've been a fan of Fallout since FO2. Have to say, although I don't always agree with him, Jim Sterling is spot-on from what I've seen.

Edited by Stan Lee

I have two problems with the game. First, it's full of griefers. I was playing the other day and some guy decided to start lobbing grenades at my water purifier. It was unlocked, dude could have just stolen water. I ended up switching servers to protect my stuff.

I want an online Fallout, but I want it to be online like FFXIV, where you can play completely by yourself, team up if you want, or queue for team only quests.

I don't want an online Fallout where jerks can come up to me and ruin my game experience.

My second problem is that only one person can interact with something at a time. For example there's a quest computer that has like a twenty diary entries on it. People still at that computer for like 10 minutes, preventing anyone else from advancing the quest. Similarly people will get blocked trying to craft or trade with vendors.

Despite these two things I love the game and can't wait to see how it evolves in the future (please no more griefing trophies).

I'm enjoying it.  I'd say a solid 7/8 with a good friend. The bugs are super annoying though, especially the Camp one (where if someone else has a camp in your spot you basically have to rebuild your camp at the moment since the blueprint system is wonky)

I'd say if you haven't played a game though you really have no say in if it's good or bad... you obviously have no experience with it.

1 hour ago, qwerty407 said:

did you read any reviews online? you might find your answer there, I don't have the game so I cant judge, but I usually stay away from online only games.

Terrible thing to do. It's no different then reading opinions on here. Reviewers are just normal human beings leaving their opinion like the rest of us.

3 hours ago, Spider-Beyond said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fallout-76 This makes me happy. Bethesda needs to learn from their mistakes.

Yes, because a bunch of fake accounts giving 0's is a great representation of what most of the world thinks...

• Like 2

Sorry if this isn't on topic for where the thread is now. I am responding to the OP.

I am not on the hate bandwagon for this game, but objectively I look at it like it is a very poor game for the money they are asking. I don't need every game I play to be amazing, but I need it to charge the right price fro what I am getting. My backlog is huge and I generally don't feel a lot of pull to pick up the latest and greatest games at their full price. I can wait for sales. I like Bethesda's offerings and because others around me play them too, this is one of the few publishers I was still willing to pre-order from. However, I played the BETA of 76 for a few hours and canceled my pre-order afterwards.

For starters, there is just not compelling game play. You run from quest marker to quest marker. There's little to nothing to interact with and emotionally connect to. Based on what I was hearing from multiple sources, that never gets better, even at max level end game content. I had the same kind of problem with No Man's Sky. More empty life-less planets than I could possibly count. Made me feel like I had no reason to care about seeing any of them. I think this issue could just fall under the category of it's not my type of game, but others can really get lost in the exploration and not need quests to have fun in the sandbox. But there is more going on with the game than just this problem of not exciting me. 

There are a ridiculous amount of bugs and jankiness. The game plays super bad. I am fine to accept this in a BETA, but when that beta is two weeks from the launch window, I know that little or nothing is going to change by the time this game was going live. My frame rate was very inconsistent and enemies often stretched out in crazy ways when they died. Like they would suddenly spout an 8' tall neck. I had enemies coming at me but their model wasn't moving. Not quite a T-pose, but close. Other times, I'd shoot a enemy that was standing by itself, only to have it spout 4 or 5 copies of itself and swarm me as a group. I had water that wasn't moving. sometimes it just wasn't there. Things spawning inside of walls, the ground, or just simply be invisible. Some of these things could be kind of cool, if they were actually a planned mechanic that was implemented well, but knowing it was just a glitch made it super annoying.

Sound was crazy. Just gunshots all the time, from every direction and distance. Regardless of if I was around anything that was actively shooting or not, it sounded like bullets were whizzing by and the bangs would be loud enough to startle me occasionally. Also, your microphone is open the whole time. So while I was in the bunker creating my character, I could hear people talking about how big you can make the boobs and laughing about how fat you can make yourself and stuff like that. 

When I ran into other players, they would skip and bounce around my screen like we were all using 56k modems. There wasn't really anything to do with them either. I wouldn't want to play with them, when it's like that. You can trade stuff, but nothing seemed to be worth trading. At least early in the game. I'm sure that can get more interesting later on. But after a few hours, I pretty much had no desire to spend anymore time in West Virginia. 

Also, it's really funny to me that Bethesda made these attack ads on EA abotu single player games being dead. And how Bethesda is saving single-player experiences and the very next thing they produce is something that takes one of their best single-player IPs and jams multi-player into and monetizes it with cosmetics and doesn't even do a good job of it. I mean seriously, it pretty much killed my interest in their upcoming projects. Everything for them is now in the wait-for-a-sale bucket now instead of definitely-getting-it-might-as-well-pre-order bucket. My prediction is that in January, you will see this game for $30 or less because there will be little to no new-player engagement post-launch and holidays. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

I'm enjoying it.  I'd say a solid 7/8 with a good friend. The bugs are super annoying though, especially the Camp one (where if someone else has a camp in your spot you basically have to rebuild your camp at the moment since the blueprint system is wonky)

I'd say if you haven't played a game though you really have no say in if it's good or bad... you obviously have no experience with it.

Terrible thing to do. It's no different then reading opinions on here. Reviewers are just normal human beings leaving their opinion like the rest of us.

Yes, because a bunch of fake accounts giving 0's is a great representation of what most of the world thinks...

I heard that certain players launched 3 nukes and crashed the servers. :P 

It's probably already been mentioned but I'll say it anyway. Technical issues aside, the game just doesn't really look all that fun. Every impression I've gotten from it is it looks hollow with nothing much else to do except shoot enemies and get tapes that tell you what the story is because there aren't NPCs to talk to. I've read that "just listen to the tapes as to why there aren't NPCs to talk to" but that just seems like an excuse for why they didn't put in anything that actually makes the world feel more like a proper Fallout world. It might look like a Fallout game, but it's missing a lot of the things that actually make it one. Overall just a boring, empty world even with friends. There's a ton of potential with a MP Fallout game but it would require a lot more time than what it took to make Fallout 76.

Does it deserve 0-2/10 and so on? Maybe not that low but it is understandable especially when it seems like the full game is not all that much better than the beta. It just feels like with these kinds of games people will pay full price and possibly more for what should be a night and day difference between the beta and the full game. If anything the ratings and angry comments are a culmination of this happening multiple times in the past not just with Bethesda but with EA and so on when they talk about their next big multiplayer experience game. I could probably count on one hand the amount of games that actually did improve from a beta and both hands and feet the amount of times they didn't in recent years. And I'm sure it will keep happening, especially when Anthem comes out considering all the writing on the wall with that game. But that's for another time.

But what I find really weird is some people saying things like "Fallout 76 will be looked at fondly down the road like New Vegas" which is absurd because even though New Vegas was a buggy mess upon release and still kind of is, New Vegas at least had a story and more than just "go here, find a tape, repeat" kind of gameplay. I've also seen some say it will rebound like Elder Scrolls Online did which I suppose is possible but I feel like that would mean Bethesda would have to take away resources from other projects in order for that to happen and it's probably not even worth it.

Regardless, the game just doesn't look too appealing even with friends and just looking at footage of people playing it gives me this feeling like I shouldn't play it at all because I know I would get bored within the first couple of hours and could be playing something else. If the co-op/MP aspect of the game is the main thing then I would rather explore an actual Fallout game with questlines and NPCs than what is less than Fallout 4 is with a friend is all I'm saying.

All online multiplayer only will instantly dissuade alot of gamers especially if they are trophy hunters.

I've still not even played a fallout game yet and need to make a start on fallout 3, new Vegas and fallout 4 very soon! I'll definitely be giving this one a try at some point too, hopefully when it's not the buggy glitch ridden mess I constantly keep hearing!

3 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

All online multiplayer only will instantly dissuade alot of gamers especially if they are trophy hunters.

I've still not even played a fallout game yet and need to make a start on fallout 3, new Vegas and fallout 4 very soon! I'll definitely be giving this one a try at some point too, hopefully when it's not the buggy glitch ridden mess I constantly keep hearing!

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are way buggier, especially on PS3. They're much more stable on PC. At least with Fallout 76 you don't have to worry about it crashing while auto-saving, corrupting all your saves.