Questions about Xbox achievements

Baka_Marimo

I bought myself a brand new Xbox 360 a few years ago because I wanted to try out Forza Motorsport but ended up not liking it after a couple of hours. So I boxed it up again and it's been sitting there on the shelf for more than 7 years now. Since I've kinda become addicted to trophy hunting I'm thinking of getting into Xbox achievements as well. Is there any specific achievements website you can recommend? It's crucial that it lists all games that have ever come out that support achievements, like this website does for PS games.

Are there any significant differences between trophies and achievements? And is it like with Playstation, that all games that have come out on Xbox after a certain date have achievements? What are the disadvantages to getting into Xbox 360 so late? I know there's probably several games with shut down servers but there's nothing fundamental preventing you from earning and synching your achievements right?

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

As far as I know there are a lot of games that have no achivements on Ps, but have them on Xbox.
Because of Backwards compatibility there will be a lot of live games in 2019 and upcoming years (They put in X One store several games  from 360 and first one twice a month).

Edited by zhukiv2009

The best option is trueachievements.com but the second best is xboxachievements.org. The biggest difference between Achievements and Trophies, is anything goes where the PC and Xbox are concerned. Both platforms often end up with dozens of achievements that never see the light of day on a Sony console e.g. Overwatch and Payday 2 have tons of seasonal and promotional events that get achievements but Sony's strict trophy cap and "no seasonal trophies" rule means we only get a fraction of the trophies. The Xbox consoles even give you Achievements for using certain apps for pete's sake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The best option is trueachievements.com but the second best is xboxachievements.org. The biggest difference between Achievements and Trophies, is anything goes where the PC and Xbox are concerned. Both platforms often end up with dozens of achievements that never see the light of day on a Sony console e.g. Overwatch and Payday 2 have tons of seasonal and promotional events that get achievements but Sony's strict trophy cap and "no seasonal trophies" rule means we only get a fraction of the trophies. The Xbox consoles even give you Achievements for using certain apps for pete's sake.

I strongly agree, true achievements is IMO the best xbox achievements site there is. Walk-through game guides are tied to the game similarly to this website and individual trophies have several tips that I have used myself on cross platform games on the PS4.

28 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Are there any significant differences between trophies and achievements? And is it like with Playstation, that all games that have come out on Xbox after a certain date have achievements?

The biggest difference I've noticed is that there's no "platinum trophy" equivalent on Xbox.  When I did the trophy thing, I'd set my sights on the platinum... not necessarily 100%.  Without the platinum, your only real goal is 100% which means basically DLC trophies could be a bigger thorn in your side than it is on the Playstation... depending on your approach.  If 100% completion and DLC trophies are already a thing you go after (and not platinums specifically), then it probably won't be much of a change.

Achievements have been a requirement since the Xbox 360 came out, if I recall.  So unlike Playstation, you won't find that older games don't have them, nor did they ever need to be "patched in" to older games.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Xbox 360 launched with achievements, so everything has achievements as far as I'm aware [unless there's some random free thing that doesn't, but every free game I remember playing on 360 had achievements]. Trophies were a reaction to achievements, so added after the PS3 came out which is why some games don't have them.

But, know you're in for a treat with Xbone if you get to that point. Because they have progress tracking on achievements. And given that Xbox 360 was designed with achievements, there's never been a time where "syncing" wasn't done automatically as you earn each achievement. It works how PS4 eventually was updated to function. So functionality wise is just a better experience for achievements in many ways.

Can't say which achievement site is good though, since I don't really focus on them.

• Like 1

One good advantage that Xbox has over PS in terms of a achievement system is that over there, the actual achievement itself is a tracker for cumulative requirements iirc.

For example, lets take Persona 5, of course its not on the xbox, but if it was; The game has NO tracker for the 250 lines you must acquire for a certain trophy, making it difficult to judge where your at with it, but if it was on Xbox, the actual achievement would be a tracker for it. It would slowly go up like 1/250, 2/250 etc

Thats what catches my eye more than anything, a unified tracker system

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

And given that Xbox 360 was designed with achievements, there's never been a time where "syncing" wasn't done automatically as you earn each achievement. It works how PS4 eventually was updated to function

So in other words once you earn an achievement you are stuck with it. Can you use a Blank Account to test a game and later attach its achievements to your ID like on PS3/PS4? Or at least can you get rid of an achievement if you play offline and decide to delete your account without synching?

21 hours ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

So in other words once you earn an achievement you are stuck with it. Can you use a Blank Account to test a game and later attach its achievements to your ID like on PS3/PS4? Or at least can you get rid of an achievement if you play offline and decide to delete your account without synching?

When you earn an achievement while connected to MS servers, the achievement is permanent the moment you earn it, unlike PSN. So yes, you are stuck with it. 

You can make a dummy account (to try out games), but you can't move progress/achievements from that over to your main account. 

If you play offline and earn an achievement, recovering your profile will delete it, as long as you don't connect to the xbox servers. 

Edit; As stated above, trueachievements is the best site for Xbox ach's out there. 

Edited by Floorkiller74
adding opinion
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

If you earn an achievement while not connected to Xbox Live, it WILL NOT have a timestamp.

You gotta be careful to always be online or realize your connection was lost before you earn an achievement.

On 19/01/2019 at 5:15 AM, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

No、 creating accounts on 360 is no longer possible. But you can delete then using a profile editor if you stay offline.

Personally the only achievements I go for on xbox are games that don't have them on playstation or that I'd wanna play on both consoles. 

Mostly exclusives and also tend to play games that I know I'll never get platinum for on the ps3 / 4 on the xbox that way it doesn't ruin my completion rate. 

True Achievements is what I use. It's pretty good; you can even link your PSN and Xbox (and Steam) accounts together though it doesn't seem to do much apart from just showing that you have a linked account. I use TA pretty often when I'm trying to get specific achievements, much like I do with trophy guides here. They also have lots of fun metrics if you're into that sort of thing - and who isn't? I will say that I wish the "premium" tier wasn't ~$25/year; I'd have given them some money at this point if they charged something more reasonable.

It is just numbers and I used to be a 360 only gamer until the ps3 started getting decent cross platform games. I think I have about 60000 and the one %100 game I have is Phantasy Star Universe. No platinum gives little incentive to %100 unless you love the game. The 360 has so many good games on it, the only reason my Xb1 is still connected.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

It is just numbers and I used to be a 360 only gamer until the ps3 started getting decent cross platform games. I think I have about 60000 and the one %100 game I have is Phantasy Star Universe. No platinum gives little incentive to %100 unless you love the game. The 360 has so many good games on it, the only reason my Xb1 is still connected.

Much the same story