Annoying youtubers and video game "journalists" that get the games before everyone else and SPOIL everything from the games itself on purpose

Ptirle

So yeah, don't know if it was mentioned before, sorry if it was, but I'm really annoyed by the before mentioned individuals, that 2 or 3 days before the official video game launch, they tend to outright spoil everything from the games in the form of thumbnail pictures and YELLOW text that this character is there or that character dies, what happens in the end etc.

I can't browse Youtube or Facebook or whatever in those periods, without their constant need of "reporting" what they find before anyone else, and the game is like available tomorrow LOL, I'll see for myself, thanks.

To someone this must be silly, but really, every freakin time, I'm like this:

https://giphy.com/gifs/your-experience-spookiest-GufV4TnTvdBao

You guys think the same or I should just "get over it"? sigh...

Edited by Ptirle

Get off social media if you care so much about having your experience spoiled. I personally wait a very long time before playing any of my antecipated games, so I already forgot the spoilers by then. Red Dead Redemption's ending caught me by surprise even though I already heard what happened, years before.

Also the people you hate are actually doing a favor to people with serious anxiety issues. They NEED to know spoilers in order to keep up with life. I can't picture myself playing or watching something that I already know how it's going to end, i really like the experience/journey more than the conclusion/destination, but I'm not one to judge.

• Like 3

Get off social media if you care so much about having your experience spoiled. I personally wait a very long time before playing any of my antecipated games, so I already forgot the spoilers by then. Red Dead Redemption's ending caught me by surprise even though I already heard what happened, years before.

If this was the 90s this would be an easy thing to do. With Google owning Youtube and having their own phone OS...well you're basically saying never looking at news feeds, notifications, tweets/hangouts, or any forum that supports images and videos.  I've been spoiled on RDR, Spider-man, and God of War just from thumbnails from news articles on IGN, Gamespot, and watching a video about Active Directory for my job because Youtube put a trash streamer in my "Up next" playlist.

• Like 1

you would be surprised how easy it is to exist without the media you mentioned.

BC I am annoyed of the same things, well for different reasons but still. But I just don't suffer from that issue since I never see mentioned news or thumbnails.

ppl in my lists or reccommended on YT or something use the info as klickbait, so they don't spoil it in a thumbnail but just bait that the video will tell the spoiler if you klick on it. I don't klick and I'm fine.

Same goes for my newsfeeds, which I barely use or read anyway, but I can't get them off my phone so they are just there. I don't have facebook or anything bc it's bullshit IMO. the only media that was always ahead of time spoiling the shit out of my favorite things was tumblr, and as much as I love tumblr, I avoid it now if I want to avoid spoiler for the newest game or show. it is just entertainment so it's easy to live without it.

I am annouyed of ppl having the favorite game I wana play early way before I can get my hands on it, just bc sometimes it makes me feel like we are ppl of second class, but I deal with that. We can't change that there are writer or relatives of the producer/developer or even just influencer/lets player who get their copy early. You can only try to become one yourself to be ahead of the spoiler.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Also the people you hate are actually doing a favor to people with serious anxiety issues. They NEED to know spoilers in order to keep up with life. I can't picture myself playing or watching something that I already know how it's going to end, i really like the experience/journey more than the conclusion/destination, but I'm not one to judge.

I never said that I hate someone, they just annoy me to no end. Hm... that's new, or rather, I think I know what r u talking about... just like my granma likes to know what happens in the end with tv novelas or such... :D and if it's good end then she proceeds with the shows.... OMG but ofcourse. Still, "they" must  have other people in consideration. ??

Same thing with me regarding RDR1. Saw it somewhere, but it didn't go into detail and like you, I was shocked, so no biggie.

Edited by Ptirle

I remember how hyped I was for "Heavy Rain" and just a day before buying it I've checked some www just to read some news about it.

And in the comments section some BARBARIAN wrote who the killer is...

Too bad that I couldn't call Men in Black :(

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smashero said:

I remember how hyped I was for "Heavy Rain" and just a day before buying it I've checked some www just to read some news about it.

And in the comments section some BARBARIAN wrote who the killer is...

Too bad that I couldn't call Men in Black :(

Man, I would spend fortune on that tiny device, really.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

I should just "get over it"?...

i would recommend just not looking for this type of content before release...from my experience, it's pretty easy to avoid (have personally never come across a spoiler for any game) so I vote, "just get over it" ...

side note: excellent punctuation...

• Like 2

I personally don't have this problem. Maybe I don't use social media as much as a "typical" person (little bit of Facebook where I'm involved in some gaming/nerd communities, casual YouTube browsing, occasionally read reviews/previews of games on IGN or the PlayStation blog... tend not to consume a lot of memes, which is where I'm assuming a lot of spoilers come from), or maybe I just don't play the same games as others (tend to not play AAA games), but I can't say that anything has ever been spoiled for me unless I've explicitly gone out of my way to actually find spoilers.

Perhaps you need to re-train the AI that generates your random news feed ads/articles/suggestions by not clicking on these things, browsing in safe/incognito modes, or unfollowing/down voting/blocking sources that spoil things regularly?

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

It seems you got yourself a self-inflicted problem. Simply avoid said videos/content and the wonder of algorithms will handle the work of getting rid of the junk for you. Train yourself to depend less on unverified content makers to gather information and choose a handful of reliable sources instead.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

6 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

It seems you got yourself a self-inflicted problem. Simply avoid said videos/content and the wonder of algorithms will handle the work of getting rid of the junk for you. Train yourself to depend less on unverified content makers to gather information and choose a handful of reliable sources instead.

That's not how Youtube or Google news works. Unverified content doesn't popup because you permit it. Youtube goes "Oh you watched a trailer for X game 6 months ago. Here's the lastest video from a popular content creator titled "Game you Like: Secret boss name and all the dead character" ENJOY!"

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

That's not how Youtube or Google news works. Unverified content doesn't popup because you permit it. Youtube goes "Oh you watched a trailer for X game 6 months ago. Here's the lastest video from a popular content creator titled "Game you Like: Secret boss name and all the dead character" ENJOY!"

You can circunvent that by not clicking the first things that come your way though. I have a handful of channels I follow on YouTube and recommendations are never too far off and I rarely seen videos that made me think why the hell is this even recommended. Anyway.

6 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Exactly this! Regarding games, I only watch lore videos, nothing else. But there goes some content creator that I never saw or heard before out of nowhere.

Regarding FB or other social networks, am there just for the news and new reveals or such, I can live without them surely.

16 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

You can circunvent that by not clicking the first things that come your way though. I have a handful of channels I follow on YouTube and recommendations are never too far off and I rarely seen videos that made me think why the hell is this even recommended. Anyway.

The recommendation isn't off because it is based on a product I enjoy. The issue is that the product, a certain game, can be associated with dodgy content creators. I can watch game trailers during E3, Outside Xbox, Playstation Access, Nintendo, etc then whenever I use a Google newsfeed or watch any video on Youtube and occasionally be presented with that spoilery videos. Since it's in the title and thumbnail the problem isn't about clicking it.  

As an example of what happened when I was doing stuff for my job. Right now I opened a CompTia video and Youtube wants to show me random video game shit. Nothing spoilery now but I can and does happen.

9cARJVv.jpg

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The recommendation isn't off because it is based on a product I enjoy. The issue is that the product, a certain game, can be associated with dodgy content creators. I can watch game trailers during E3, Outside Xbox, Playstation Access, Nintendo, etc then whenever I use a Google newsfeed or watch any video on Youtube and occasionally be presented with that spoilery videos. Since it's in the title and thumbnail the problem isn't about clicking it.

About the spoilers, I don't know then. Maybe you guys are always browsing heavily popular content then and chances of that happening are naturally superior. I tend to be late to the party anyway and/or have interest in less popular/older content so maybe that's why I never been affected by this. I still believe you can kind of train the AI to a certain extent, although I know it can be pretty stupid.

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 1

I've avoided spoilers for games such as Persona 5, every Danganronpa game and many other heavily story based games, it really isn't that hard to not get spoiled. If you don't look up anything related to the game then there won't be a spoiler, if you come across one simply stop reading or quickly get rid of it.

I don't mind when people talk about what happenes in a game before it's released, they've played it so why not. It only bothers me if there isn't a warning but at the same time, if it's a game I plan on playing why would I look anything up. If it's YouTube you can't really stop that but not watching anything to do with the series will help, or if you do delete it from your history.

• Like 4

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

If the experience of playing a game, watching a movie or reading a book can be ‘spoiled’ by knowing aspects of it prior to engaging with it, then surely it was never worth engaging with in the first place?

What sort of asinine contrarian nonsense is that.

The concept of spoilers should not need to be taught to you at this point.

If you're using Google Chrome, then there are extensions you can use to help get rid of the unwanted spoilers.

As for YouTube, you can pause your watch history and your search history and it will stop giving you recommended videos that may be spoilers.  You may need to clear your YouTube history first though for that to work.  I did this recently as I was getting Kingdom Hearts 3 spoilers in my recommended videos, as I'd been watching other KH videos recently based on the games I was playing - seems to work just fine.

I don't know about Facebook as I don't really use it that often, but on Twitter you can customize your settings to mute certain words so they don't come up in your feed.  You could always mute the words of whatever it is the spoilers could be about.

Hopefully some of those suggestions help.  

2 hours ago, Ptirle said:

You guys think the same or I should just "get over it"? sigh...

I mean, it's not that hard to look away from it, right? I'll grant that I'm an old "get off my lawn" guy, but I've never cared that some journalist or youtuber spoiled a game, because I won't look at it, anyway. Besides, is a game really spoiled by knowing story elements? 

That being said, one thing that annoys me is that this kind of spoilage provides a convenient straw man for those "review embargo" types.

36 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If the experience of playing a game, watching a movie or reading a book can be ‘spoiled’ by knowing aspects of it prior to engaging with it, then surely it was never worth engaging with in the first place?

My philosophy to a tee.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Stop watching content from those creators that spoil things entirely. I have trained my YT algorithm so well that it never even tries to show me those kinds of click-baity gaming videos. I have a few channels I go to for gaming content, which I know are generally spoiler free. If they need to discuss a spoiler to make a point, they will telegraph it well and not include it in the thumbnail. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Stop watching content from those creators that spoil things entirely. I have trained my YT algorithm so well that it never even tries to show me those kinds of click-baity gaming videos. I have a few channels I go to for gaming content, which I know are generally spoiler free. If they need to discuss a spoiler to make a point, they will telegraph it well and not include it in the thumbnail. 

That's exaclty what I meant above. I mean, if you're savvy you CAN avoid trash content on any platform.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

As an example of what happened when I was doing stuff for my job. Right now I opened a CompTia video and Youtube wants to show me random video game shit. Nothing spoilery now but I can and does happen.

9cARJVv.jpg

Clear your cookies every once in a while It'll help.