Deaths_Trooper

Fix auto updates for profiles

92 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 7/3/2020 at 0:22 AM, dmland12 said:

[...] but just now after randomly clicking on several profiles, I found a registered non-premium account than hasn't been updated in 8 months.

 

0.3374 M members out of 4.43 M gamers "tracked", i.e. 7.6 % are tracked i.e. 1 out of 13 are tracked. Its such a shame. I really like this sites - its the best - but other sites have a lot more tracked users. I.e. "one site" has 72,000 "The Last of Us Part II" players. Our site has only 37,000.

Edited by Batamamalakaja
added M after 4.43
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as autoupdates aren't being turned back on again, the stats on this site are completely useless. @Sly Ripper

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

As long as autoupdates aren't being turned back on again, the stats on this site are completely useless. @Sly Ripper


I did come cursory checking and the overwhelming majority of the profiles I checked were updated for the new point calculation a few days ago.

 

Let’s see if they continue to auto-update. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaivRules said:


I did come cursory checking and the overwhelming majority of the profiles I checked were updated for the new point calculation a few days ago.

 

Let’s see if they continue to auto-update. 

They were not really updated. Only their newly calculated levels were fetched. It almost always looks like this: 

 

Spoiler

screencapture-psnprofp6j28.png

 

Updated 3 years, 6 months ago.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I’m very much a newbie here, and obviously not super-competitive, but this thread made me curious enough to check on the profiles directly above and below mine on the US Leaderboards.

 

Don’t know if I’m allowed to post before & after screenshots of the profiles, so I won’t-but one hadn’t been updated since 2016-the other hadn’t been updated since 2014. Once I manually updated both it showed that both accounts had earned trophies this year. 

 

Is this a case where people never completed registration or something? Because otherwise, it seems like the site hasn’t been auto-updating non-premium profiles for a very long time. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

So, I’m very much a newbie here, and obviously not super-competitive, but this thread made me curious enough to check on the profiles directly above and below mine on the US Leaderboards.

 

Don’t know if I’m allowed to post before & after screenshots of the profiles, so I won’t-but one hadn’t been updated since 2016-the other hadn’t been updated since 2014. Once I manually updated both it showed that both accounts had earned trophies this year. 

 

Is this a case where people never completed registration or something? Because otherwise, it seems like the site hasn’t been auto-updating non-premium profiles for a very long time. 

Sometimes people just enter names to check, I think.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

So, I’m very much a newbie here, and obviously not super-competitive, but this thread made me curious enough to check on the profiles directly above and below mine on the US Leaderboards.

 

Don’t know if I’m allowed to post before & after screenshots of the profiles, so I won’t-but one hadn’t been updated since 2016-the other hadn’t been updated since 2014. Once I manually updated both it showed that both accounts had earned trophies this year. 

 

Is this a case where people never completed registration or something? Because otherwise, it seems like the site hasn’t been auto-updating non-premium profiles for a very long time. 

I guess if this is the case, then what's the point of the leaderboards?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Because otherwise, it seems like the site hasn’t been auto-updating non-premium profiles for a very long time. 

The site does auto-update non-premium profiles, just not all of them. I think that the auto-updates may stop if no new data has come through for a certain amount of time. That would explain why people with trophies from this month haven't been updated for years. It likely comes down to not wanting to waste resources.

 

It's also possible that the way this site gathers data may have limitations that other trophy sites methods don't have, because other sites are perfectly capable of updating ikemenzi's profile but on this site it's apparently a major issue to get data from someone with over 7000 games. If that's the case then it may not be possible to maintain the auto-updater for every profile.

Edited by AusLeviathan
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Sly also mentioned auto updating all profiles is nearly impossible without support from Sony. Maybe we need to make it happen!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I think Sly also mentioned auto updating all profiles is nearly impossible without support from Sony. Maybe we need to make it happen!


No chance, Sony absolutely doesn’t care about trophies and certainly wouldn’t care to assist a trophy website when this website is profiting off their API without giving any of those profits directly to Sony. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what the psnprofiles backend is like, but I figured it would have been possible to dedicate a week to running a refresh over several days that still push manual requests to the top of the queue but otherwise just works through the entire database at it's current rate limit with sony. I'm sure all the premium members here wouldn't mind having their auto-refresh turned off for a week to get more accurate stats across the board.

I think it would only need to be done once a year if that. I'm sure we'll get an influx of new people when the PS5 launches and new and old people get back into trophy hunting. so it may be a strain on the servers to do it in a couple of weeks.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21.10.2020 at 10:57 AM, Draps-1337 said:

Not sure what the psnprofiles backend is like, but I figured it would have been possible to dedicate a week to running a refresh over several days that still push manual requests to the top of the queue but otherwise just works through the entire database at it's current rate limit with sony. I'm sure all the premium members here wouldn't mind having their auto-refresh turned off for a week to get more accurate stats across the board.

I think it would only need to be done once a year if that. I'm sure we'll get an influx of new people when the PS5 launches and new and old people get back into trophy hunting. so it may be a strain on the servers to do it in a couple of weeks.

I'd happily set aside my auto-refresh for a week to make it happen that all other profiles will be updated. As I already mentioned a few times, updating all profiles would have a huge impact on the leaderboard and the rarity of trophies.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2020 at 10:57 AM, Draps-1337 said:

Not sure what the psnprofiles backend is like, but I figured it would have been possible to dedicate a week to running a refresh over several days that still push manual requests to the top of the queue but otherwise just works through the entire database at it's current rate limit with sony. I'm sure all the premium members here wouldn't mind having their auto-refresh turned off for a week to get more accurate stats across the board.

I think it would only need to be done once a year if that. I'm sure we'll get an influx of new people when the PS5 launches and new and old people get back into trophy hunting. so it may be a strain on the servers to do it in a couple of weeks.

Very good idea ! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 3:49 AM, Sergen said:


No chance, Sony absolutely doesn’t care about trophies and certainly wouldn’t care to assist a trophy website when this website is profiting off their API without giving any of those profits directly to Sony. 

I know it was just wishful thinking. :P 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like my thoughts were correct, the auto-updater appears to stop 3 months after the last time you earned a trophy/updated your own profile. Since a lot of casual players can very easily go that long without earning a trophy (replaying games, playing the same multiplayer game, work/school/university commitments) this is having the effect of slowly removing casual players from new games and gradually inflating how common the trophy rarities are.

 

In about a year or two it's going to get interesting when the Sony exclusives platinum's start regularly pushing above a 60% rarity on this site.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be really nice if we got this. But I don't think we will. I've seen a few people question the validity of rarity stats on the site. However, I feel this is a more prominent issue for leaderboards. I get the feeling there may be a few people regisitered/searched on this site that took a break from hunting and now use another or don't use a site all together. It may even get worse when people who used to hunt on PS3 or early PS4, jump in on the PS5 and start getting into hunting again. (considering how much the PS5 is pushing trophy hunting with it's UI and guide systems)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.